PDA

View Full Version : 2008 x3

mcg-doc
03-23-2007, 07:36 AM
When will the MY 2008 go into production? What are the expected changers?

Thanks!

kjboyd
03-23-2007, 09:03 AM
probably not til September or so, and it unlikely there will be significant changes as that just happened this year. we are still holding out hope though for the 3.5 engine and a diesel.

stangmatt66
03-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Ditto on September. I'm picking my X3 up in Munich on July 30, so 2007s will still be around until the end of summer. Don't look for too much new stuff on the 2008. You might get the 335's turbo engine or maybe a diesel, but that will be the only changes.

UncleJ
03-26-2007, 07:44 AM
At some point there will be a hybrid X3 too but probably not in '08. BMW has a concept
X3 with a new type of hybrid drive that may or may not see the light of day. They are also working with a consortium of other marques to develop a hybrid drive that is supposed to be better than the Toyota and Honda systems. Personally I am waiting for the diesel!

d-rive
03-26-2007, 12:27 PM
i confirm, diesel are the future for X3 in USA, in Europe we have all types of engines, diesel is choosen in 90***37;, are great engines with great mileage. The level of performance is very high.

I don't think will be hybrid version on actual X3, maybe on the next generation from 2010.

doubledeclutch
03-26-2007, 02:37 PM
http://www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,472189,00.html

ViperNY
03-28-2007, 10:50 AM
I just got my new 2007 X3 this month and while I was there I had a lenghy confesation with the sales guy about the future and BMW's roll out of diesel engines. He claimed that BMW was going to have diesel engines available in the X5's first by the end of 2007. Personally I wanted to see the E60 get it first because my current E60 lease is up in Dec'07 and was hoping to get the wagon diesel as a replacement.

kjboyd
03-28-2007, 11:58 AM
um, what is a confesation?

x3ronnie
03-28-2007, 03:17 PM
That's a lenghy confesation...

shane_smith
03-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Well for once the Australians are ahead of the USA.
Not sure why BMW are holding back on there release for a Diesel Engine in the USA since they have been available for some time here in Australia and Most of Europe and Canada from what I have read in this Forum.

I have ordered a 2007 X3 Diesel and its sitting at the Dock awaiting to be loaded onto the ship and leave for Australia via USA and NZ on the 29th March 07. It wont arrive here in Australia until the 5th May 07. I will post some pictures of the body and engine once it arrives.

As for hybrid engines from what I have read on other sites it appears that the German Car Makers are having some big issues with trying to get an affordable concept on the Board

d-rive
03-28-2007, 11:29 PM
all version(diesel and gasoline) of all BMW's are available in all country of Europe and also all type and all combinations of colors and combo interiors.

JBasham
03-29-2007, 05:07 AM
Well for once the Australians are ahead of the USA.
Not sure why BMW are holding back on there release for a Diesel Engine in the USA . . . .

I think I heard that tough environmental standards make it difficult for BMW to engineer a diesel implementation that can pass the different specs around the country.

I don't know what the engineering and development costs would be. If they're high, I suppose there's a concern they might be unrecoverable, because it's a crapshoot whether diesel sales would be brisk in the U.S. Of the five filling stations in my neighborhood, one station has one diesel pump, and the rest have none. Diesel fuel also costs more than the mid-grade gasoline most people here burn (not that I use that stuff in my BMWs!).

I actually leased a gasoline X3 in '06, in the hopes that there will be a diesel by '09. I have this theory that BMW drivers are so performance-oriented that they will embrace a diesel X3 more readily than other U.S. auto consumers. I think VW had decent success with a diesel small car here, because of the environmental bent of many VW drivers.

Also, when the rest of the world gets so pissed at us that we're entirely cut off from imported oil, I can try running on soybean oil! Just joking. But seriously, I heard about a company that's developing a process to take used fryer oil from commercial kitchens, and recycle it into biodiesel. Given U.S. lust for fried food and plenty of it, that sounds like a growth industry to me.

UncleJ
03-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Diesel is looking better and better to me. Gas here has now cracked $3.50 for 91 octane and one station offers it for just over $4.00 in their "full service" lanes. Diesel is still about $2.50 to 2.99. I was behind a VW diesel with a "Biodiesel" banner on the trunk recently. The exahust smelled just like Micky D's french fries. Quite an improvement over the usual oil burner actually.