PDA

View Full Version : LoJack

monacoblu
03-26-2007, 07:24 AM
In the process of purchasing my first BMW, I was recently bombarded by a list of the extra, post factory options that I can purchase. I was surprised to learn that a car alarm is not a standard feature on a 3 series. In any event, I will be getting the alarm system. Wanted to know if anyone has thoughts on the Early Warning LoJack vs. the regular LoJack? Additionally, my salesperson also mentioned that some insurance co's give you up to a 15% discount. Have people seen savings in their insurance?

philo98
03-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Skip the LoJack. My dealer told me its not worth it. And also, if your car is stolen, I dont think you really want it back, at least I dont.

jjlawyer
03-26-2007, 08:29 AM
If you have navigation (maybe even if you don't), can't the car be located by BMW assist anyway?

avalys
03-26-2007, 08:35 AM
Any dealer trying to sell you Lojack is just trying to rip you off. You get the same functionality with BMW Assist, which is standard on all new BMWs.

WannaBe
03-26-2007, 08:38 AM
If you have navigation (maybe even if you don't), can't the car be located by BMW assist anyway?

If you have BMW Assist, no need for LoJack. Someone posted before that if you have BMW Assist, you can try to get the same discount with your insu. co. as you would with LoJack.

Even you dont have BMW assist, LoJack is really not worth it as the other poster stated. A friend of mine had LoJack and got his car back after it was stolen. He regretted having LoJack because all the repairing trouble he had to go through after he got it back. Hed rather buy a new car with the money received from the insurance company. :dunno:

bmwfanwashdc
03-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Skip The Lojack - just extra money for the dealer. my friends m3 was stolen with lojack. lojack didn't work 2' he did not activate it. after we saw the car a few days later - he wishes he never got it back. 3 months in body shop with $25k in repairs and was never right. he just traded it in.

desertdriver
03-26-2007, 10:34 AM
In the process of purchasing my first BMW, I was recently bombarded by a list of the extra, post factory options that I can purchase. I was surprised to learn that a car alarm is not a standard feature on a 3 series. In any event, I will be getting the alarm system. Wanted to know if anyone has thoughts on the Early Warning LoJack vs. the regular LoJack? Additionally, my salesperson also mentioned that some insurance co's give you up to a 15% discount. Have people seen savings in their insurance?

BMW assist can be disabled by disconnecting the battery terminals, any professional theif will know this. Lojack cannot be disabled, just removed and it isnt easy. Lojack can help you get the car back alot faster, hopefully before much damage is inflicted. If they find your car and it isnt totalled you WILL get it back. I got a 200/yr insurance discount on my last car because of lojack, so it pays for itself in 3-4 years. Dont know about the early warning lojack/regular.

monacoblu
03-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks everyone! The car will have BMW Assist but the dealer did mention that it could be disabled as the last person posted. I will think about it as I have some time to decide.

Augenstein
03-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks everyone! The car will have BMW Assist but the dealer did mention that it could be disabled as the last person posted. I will think about it as I have some time to decide.

If your primary use of the car is in greater NY City, then LoJack can be of great value. City cops know about and use LoJack routinely.

The scenario is typically this:

If your car is stolen, it will be by professionals. It takes a pro to disable the fairly sophisticated anti-theft systems the car possesses, and they'll take the time (or flatbed it out of there) for either one of two reasons. The first is to dismantle it for parts, and the second is to put it on a ship to faraway places.

In either case, damaging the car is not in the thieves' best interest, and they often will leave the car in some out of the way area for a time to make sure about LoJack.

City cops have an interest in busting professional car thieves. It looks good on their record when thinking of advancement.

Nobody cares much about amateur thieves.

In and around NYC (and other major cities), LoJack has a good record of recovery, with much less chance of damage.

Bruce

MMakoto
03-28-2007, 08:55 AM
i have the lojack early warning on my current car. this newer one serves the purpose; if you car is moving w/o the transmitter in the car for around 15mins, lojack will contact you via phone, email, etc... don't remember if they'll contact the police too or you'll have to do that. i never even tested it to see if lojack will call me. it's a nice security feature, but i don't see myself getting it again on my next car. my insurance doesn't get much cheaper either, like $50 off each year. so if you park in the streets every nite, and you don't feel safe around your neighborhood, then get it for your peace of mind, but if you park in a garage or have private parking, then i'd suggest you save the money towards other goodies.

mystic335i
03-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Currently BMWs come with BMW Assist for 4 years N/C. Doesnt that mean that after that time period, unless you choose to pay annually for Assist, it won't help to locate your car?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

clarkcc1
03-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Currently BMWs come with BMW Assist for 4 years N/C. Doesnt that mean that after that time period, unless you choose to pay annually for Assist, it won't help to locate your car?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sounds like a correct statement to me. I had one year free of Assist with my 04. $220 a year for 2 main benefits: lojack type tracking and emergency notification when in a bad accident did not seem to be worth it to me. I am sure you don't get tracking if Assist is de-activated, because the cellular ESN is turned off, and must be brought to a BMW dealership to be re-activated, I believe.