PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! 2 nails in my Run Flats!!!!

Spartacus_33
03-26-2007, 11:49 AM
My Flat Tire warning came on a couple of weeks ago. I was down about 8 pounds on one of my rear tires. I was due for a micro-filter replacement, so while it was at the dealership, today, I asked them to please check out the tire.

Turns out I have 2 nails in it. They say it can't be repaired and the cost of a new tire is $418!

I can get one for $340 from the Tire Rack....... but has anyone ever tried or looked into repairing a RT? :dunno:

shabbaman
03-26-2007, 12:12 PM
My Flat Tire warning came on a couple of weeks ago. I was down about 8 pounds on one of my rear tires. I was due for a micro-filter replacement, so while it was at the dealership, today, I asked them to please check out the tire.

Turns out I have 2 nails in it. They say it can't be repaired and the cost of a new tire is $418!

I can get one for $340 from the Tire Rack....... but has anyone ever tried or looked into repairing a RT? :dunno:

Try taking it to a tire shop first. Did they say 'It could not be repaired' or did they say 'They could not repair it'.

bmwfanwashdc
03-26-2007, 12:13 PM
HEY SPARTACUS. you are probably in luck. i have replaced 2 of my 545 runflats and 2 of my 325 cic tires. the 545 sport packages comes with dulop DSST tires. call dunlop or go to dunlop /goodyear dealer. DUNLOP DSST tires will have built in road hazard and will prorate the tires. i just went thru this with my 545. if you have to buy them, def use tire rack.

stream
03-26-2007, 12:37 PM
RFTs can be repaired as long as the puncture isn't within a certain distance of the sidewall, and the tires aren't too worn (to/beyond the wear bars). Some shops will just say they can't be repaired, but they can.

I got a screw in one of mine a while back and it turns out the tire (both rears) were at the wear bars, so I took it as an opportunity to get 4 new Michelin PS2s (from Tirerack--had them drop ship to a local shop). Much happier with the Michelins--much better ride.

GSIRM3
03-26-2007, 12:57 PM
Some shops will not repair a runflat tire if they are not certain if it has been run with absolutely no air. Runflats are only good for a finite number of miles of running with no air. Therefore, if you bring the car in and it is completely out of air, or cannot reasonably assure them that the tire has not been run when completely out of air, they will not repair it. Their concern is that if the tire has already been run for its maximum allowed number of miles in the "flat" condition, and they repair it and it gets punctured again, the tire may not be safe to drive on.

Spartacus_33
03-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Try taking it to a tire shop first. Did they say 'It could not be repaired' or did they say 'They could not repair it'.

To all.....

They just said that they didn't have a tire in stock, but could get one the next day for $418. I'll try the Dunlop thing and see if I can get some $$ out of it.

Spartacus_33
03-26-2007, 01:58 PM
HEY SPARTACUS. you are probably in luck. i have replaced 2 of my 545 runflats and 2 of my 325 cic tires. the 545 sport packages comes with dulop DSST tires. call dunlop or go to dunlop /goodyear dealer. DUNLOP DSST tires will have built in road hazard and will prorate the tires. i just went thru this with my 545. if you have to buy them, def use tire rack.

Definately will try this approach. Thanks guys!

Starab
03-27-2007, 05:52 AM

I liked to have RF tires on my autos. But after reading in the forums, manual and even in some brochures, I changed my mind and will never put RF on my cars.
1) that they are not only not good in cold weather but maybe hazardous
2) The cost is so high to replace them even with one minor incident
I am glad I did not go for them in MY 2008 E-60

mullman
03-27-2007, 06:05 AM
I picked up a nail at 8xx miles on my right rear RFT.
Most expensive tire swing in my neighborhood...

Trust me - I know your pain!

http://homepage.mac.com/mulls/ED/RIP***37;20RFT_files/DSC_0003_2.jpg

SilberGrauE60
03-27-2007, 08:26 PM
I picked up a screw in my essentially new Dunlop RFT, got the FTM warning and returned home immediately. Tire press. was only down about 8 lbs. BMW policy is NO REPAIR on RFTs. I took it to Big-O Tires and got it repaired for $25. Just make sure whatever shop you use has experience with mounting RFTs. It is a big difference from normal tires. Since the repair, the tire is good as new. Even took it to the track this week.

shabbaman
03-28-2007, 04:33 AM
I liked to have RF tires on my autos. But after reading in the forums, manual and even in some brochures, I changed my mind and will never put RF on my cars.
1) that they are not only not good in cold weather but maybe hazardous
2) The cost is so high to replace them even with one minor incident
I am glad I did not go for them in MY 2008 E-60

Like any new technology, it takes some time for the product to evolve. RFT's will become better as they evolve.

As for cost, they are expensive but the price quoted by the OP is in CAD, not USD.

Personally, I can't stand them. In my limited experience with them I've been very unhappy with their performance.

OTOH, I do like the concept and I can see the benefit of having a RF tire. Technology, nowadays seems to produce very short product life cycles. Maybe within the next few years RF tires will evolve to where they cost less and produce a ride like a non RF tire.

bmwfanwashdc
03-28-2007, 05:46 AM
I picked up a screw in my essentially new Dunlop RFT, got the FTM warning and returned home immediately. Tire press. was only down about 8 lbs. BMW policy is NO REPAIR on RFTs. I took it to Big-O Tires and got it repaired for $25. Just make sure whatever shop you use has experience with mounting RFTs. It is a big difference from normal tires. Since the repair, the tire is good as new. Even took it to the track this week.

BMW will never repair a rft but they will warranty a DSST Dunlop tire. Dunlop/goodyear dealer will prorate the tire for remaining tread. Repair works depending on how long you drove with no air and also location of punture.

Spartacus_33
03-28-2007, 12:08 PM
The tire was never any lower than 8 pounds under the spec.

Took it to America's Best and they pulled a small tack from the tread. Turns out the other foreign object was just a rock.

Anyway.... I asked for them to put their "best guy" on it.

They did and repaired it at no cost. :clap: Quite a difference from $418!

Thanks for all the responses. :thumbup: