PDA

View Full Version : My first E39 road trip.

Patrick
01-24-2003, 10:57 AM
I have now had my 520iAT for a month and a half, and in that time, I have only manages to drive 1,020 km. :confused:

So in about 6 hours, I am heading off on a short Eastern European road trip, to southern Estonia. I have a meeting Sunday morning in the "beach resort" city of Pärnu, and instead of going with a company vehicle, I decided to drive myself.

I live in Turku, Finland (southwest coast of Finland), and I will drive to Helsinki (160 km) to catch a 08:00 ferry to Tallinn, Estionia. The ferry takes about 3.5 hours.

Once I get through the interesting system of passport control and customs inspection, it will be time for a light lunch in the old town of Tallinn. Some quick shopping and then I will get on the famous Via Baltica "highway" heading south to Pärnu. This old road runs through the whole of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, before it becomes something else in Poland.

Winter driving in eastern Europe is a huge question mark; unplowed roads, State police, poor road surfaces, horse driven carts, broken down Ladas and whatever else you could possibly think of.

Thankfully, I only have to drive 140 km south from Tallinn before reaching Pärnu. I should be able to check into the lovely Scandic Ranna Hotel (http://www.scandic-hotels.ee/eng/h_rannahotell.asp) by 18:00 for dinner and drinks. :eeps:

In preparation for this road trip, I have washed and vacuumed my E39, checked the air pressure in the tires and chosen a bunch of music to listen to (no U2). I have also bought extra car insurance and had all of the windows engraved with the license plate number of the car. That way, if someone steals my BMW (always possible in the east), they will have to replace all of the glass to be able to sell it to someone else.

I will do the same trip in reverse on Sunday afternoon and I should arrive back in Turku approximately 30 minutes before the Super Bowl kickoff.

It should be an interesting trip!