PDA

View Full Version : A and C pillars removal

SFX3
03-28-2007, 12:20 PM
I want to take the A and C pillar panels off (interiorly, the ones with the airbag symbol). Has anyone ever done this and is it safe to do so? Any difficulties? Thought I would ask before I went ahead and did this. Seems simple enough. Remove the plastic airbag symbol and unscrew the screw behind it.

jman103099
03-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Uh... just wondering - why? :dunno:

AzNMpower32
03-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Uh yea......why? :ouch:

SFX3
03-28-2007, 07:53 PM
The A pillar has a segment where the fabric is not fully covering the metal aspect of the pillar. I just want to adjust the position of the trim to cover the bare metal.

The C pillar is where a rattle is coming from. When I wedge something between the top of the C pillar trim and the roof trim the rattle stops. I removed this trim. There is no airbag/air curtain directly behind this panel trim so its safe to remove this if applicable. There is a foam block that buffers the metal C pillar from the plastic lining of the trim. I readjusted the foam block and now there is no more squeaking rattle coming from this area. I used to think it came from the sunroof or the rear door.

03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
don't all cars come with a warranty? why are you doing all this yourself?? :dunno:

berbutler
03-29-2007, 12:51 AM
don't all cars come with a warranty? why are you doing all this yourself?? :dunno:

You have obviously never had a dealer attempt to fix a rattle in your BMW...................

SFX3
03-29-2007, 03:43 AM
As Berbutler pointed out, yes taking my car to the dealer did not resolve the issues. The A pillar trim, they replaced but did not take care to cover all exposed metal. The C pillar rattle they told me flatly that they readjusted/tightened the sunroof and that there was nothing more they could do. Hence, I thought I would take some time to diagnose and do some maintenance before taking the time off from work to drive to another dealer and leave the car there for something they might or might not fix.

judybe83
03-29-2007, 05:47 AM
You have obviously never had a dealer attempt to fix a rattle in your BMW...................

:bow:

Ishniknork
03-29-2007, 06:59 PM
The C pillar is where a rattle is coming from. When I wedge something between the top of the C pillar trim and the roof trim the rattle stops.
I think I have the same noise. Is it the right rear one? My noise isn't so much of a rattle as a squeaky sound. Tips on the removal of that pillar would be appreciated.

As Berbutler pointed out, yes taking my car to the dealer did not resolve the issues. The A pillar trim, they replaced but did not take care to cover all exposed metal. The C pillar rattle they told me flatly that they readjusted/tightened the sunroof and that there was nothing more they could do. Hence, I thought I would take some time to diagnose and do some maintenance before taking the time off from work to drive to another dealer and leave the car there for something they might or might not fix.
I totally agree with your reasoning here. Sometimes it's easier and more effective to solve the problem yourself!

midijab
03-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Here's some pics I took a while back when installing bluetooth. This is the driver's side C Pillar which has the Fakra antenna behind it. I'm assuming the passenger side is the same as well. Also, the A pillars should be the same.

Use plastic "installers" tools to remove the "airbag" plastic cover.

remove the phillips head screw.

Use plastic "installers" tools again to pry off pillar covers. they're held on tight by metal spring clips, so these will give.

I rubbed a little parafin on the metal clips before I popped them back on. No noises, no squeaks.

The plastic "installers" tools can be had usually from a number of DIY vendors. Highly recommended as it is gentle on your upholstery and won't scratch the metal underneath.

Ishniknork
03-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks midijab. :thumbup:

SFX3
03-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Removing that C pillar is a cinch. The "installer" tool is a nice tool to have but not necessary. Just use a thin flat tool (e.g screw driver) and gently pry the airbag symbol off...its on there really lightly. Untighten the torx(sp?) screw behind it. Then just pull the entire trim up and out. When the one plastic fastner pops out of the assembly it will make a popping sound like you just broke something so dont get too surprised. When you're ready to install the trim back its a bit tricky wedging it back in there but shouldnt be a problem. Put the plastic fastner (looks like an arrow) on the trim and then put the trim into place...dont put the fastner on the C pillar first and then try to put the trim on the fastner)...I hope Im making sense here. Unlike Midijab, mine didnt have metal fastners...just the one plastic arrow looking thing....maybe the difference in year? I have a 2004. Anyways, its really easy. And yes Ishniknork, my rattle did come from the rear passenger C pillar...a squeak rattle combination.

Ishniknork
03-31-2007, 10:17 PM
SFX3,

Thanks for the detailed description on removal of the C pillar. Especially the "popping" sound! I'll be expecting that now. Mine is a 2005 so it may have the metal clips though.

The noise I hear comes and goes as the weather changes but I'd like to get it stopped permanently.