PDA

View Full Version : A/C, Ventilated Seats, and Black Interior

jschulman
03-29-2007, 09:19 PM
I will likely go with the platinum grey exterior and black nasca leather interior (with ventilated seats). It gets very hot in Las Vegas during the summer, and I was wondering how fast the A/C will cool down the cabin. The ventilated seats will help. I have leatherette in my 1999 E46, and it takes only a few minutes to cool down the car which is fine (fern green exterior, beige leatherette interior).

I would assume a black interior will be hotter than a light color interior (though I am going from a dark exterior/light interior to a light exterior/dark interior), but I am curious how much longer it might take to cool down the car when it is 115 degrees outside (car is usually parked in a garage).

Thank you.

aficionado
03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
I can't answer your question, but

My theory is, being in AZ, I park in a garage and sure, if I just go to work and back the AC is fine. But when you do many errands and are in and out of the car all day and the AC doesn't have a chance to cool off the car before you get to your next destination...that's where I think the Vent. seats will do wonders. I'll let you know in 6 month's if it worth it, because it does get expensive, see another thread about the cost. Called IPOD and Vent. seats...something or another.

EDITED to add, that should be a sweet car. It's exactly what I'm ordering.

kevinp
03-30-2007, 10:57 AM
I believe you can also program the car to run the HVAC fan at a specific time every day. Eaxmple: If you leave work at 5:00 PM, you can program, via I-Drive the HVAC fan to run at, say 4:45 PM to begin the cooling process before you enter the car.:thumbup:

Swift
03-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Yep. You have two daily preset times available that allow you to have the ac run for 10 minutes. The car will power it from the battery without needing the engine running.

I have mine set for 9:30 AM and 4:40PM and it works pretty good.

1994_RX-7_Tour
03-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Yep. You have two daily preset times available that allow you to have the ac run for 10 minutes. The car will power it from the battery without needing the engine running.

I have mine set for 9:30 AM and 4:40PM and it works pretty good.

This car will be a better friend of mine than anyone I know! Aww shucks.... now I assume that's a fan ventilation only.... not actually air conditioning w/cool air like when the engine is running?

Swift
03-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Yes I believe it is ventilation only. Sorry for the misleading verbiage.

stevepow
03-30-2007, 03:26 PM
This car will be a better friend of mine than anyone I know! Aww shucks.... now I assume that's a fan ventilation only.... not actually air conditioning w/cool air like when the engine is running?

Yes, but none the less, it makes for much better "impression" that the AC is doing more. We get some pretty hot Julys and Augusts here - high 90s and last year I really enjoyed the vented seats - they make a big difference.

Mac Daddy
03-30-2007, 05:55 PM
We get some pretty hot Julys and Augusts here - high 90s and last year I really enjoyed the vented seats - they make a big difference.

That is good to hear! :thumbup:

fp60
03-30-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm thinking about the same color combo or jet black with the black vent. seats.
Now i just cant make up my mind on the wood trims... need to see the bamboo with the black.. seen the light poplar on black looks great.. .the dark poplar doesn't 'read' as nice I think with the dark poplar...

I'm ordering the car tomorrow!! ugh!

jschulman
03-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Yes, but none the less, it makes for much better "impression" that the AC is doing more. We get some pretty hot Julys and Augusts here - high 90s and last year I really enjoyed the vented seats - they make a big difference.

Glad to hear it helps. I think once I get my production number (I asked for July 2 in Europe, but haven't heard yet), I think I will change to platinum grey with the black interior. Between the ventilation settings, the a/c, and ventilated seats, it should be okay. I also plan on getting the rear shade which may help a little bit.

My car is parked in a garage most of the time (both at work and at home). I guess I will find out if it is a smart decision next summer because the car is unlikely to be in the US until labor day when it gets cooler here.

jschulman
03-30-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm thinking about the same color combo or jet black with the black vent. seats.
Now i just cant make up my mind on the wood trims... need to see the bamboo with the black.. seen the light poplar on black looks great.. .the dark poplar doesn't 'read' as nice I think with the dark poplar...

I'm ordering the car tomorrow!! ugh!

I think now I will go with the platinum grey, black leater, anthracite headliner, and the bamboo wood. I have seen pictures of the bamboo (using the X5 configuration), and it looks good. When the LCI's arrive in a few weeks, I intend to go to a local dealer to see platinum grey along with the bamboo wood, if available.

fp60
04-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Just ordered the 550 last saturday!
M-aero kit, NAV, Vent seats, Prem. Sound Pro. 7, rear/side shades, iPod connection, Cold Weather Pkg, Jet Black, Black Nasca Leather, Athn. Headliner and the BAMBOO wood trim!!!
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:thumbup:

jetjock07
04-03-2007, 07:14 PM
You def. can't go wrong with the bamboo trim. It looks absolutely beautiful. I love the other wood trims, but this one is diff. and I think it actually makes the car look even more beautiful on the inside.

gr8330
04-03-2007, 07:32 PM
My Blk/Blk ventilated seat car sits in the sun at 95 to 105 degrees, covered though and it doesn't take any time to cool down. You need to wait until there is cool air in the car before using the ventilated seats. If you don't your just blowing hot air from the back seat. I do have Huper Optic coated windows which does help.

jschulman
04-03-2007, 08:49 PM
My Blk/Blk ventilated seat car sits in the sun at 95 to 105 degrees, covered though and it doesn't take any time to cool down. You need to wait until there is cool air in the car before using the ventilated seats. If you don't your just blowing hot air from the back seat. I do have Huper Optic coated windows which does help.

Thanks for the advice. I guess the good news/bad news for me is that my car probably won't be arriving until September (I pick it up in Europe on July 9) so I won't be testing out the car in full summer heat until next year.

jschulman
04-03-2007, 08:52 PM
You def. can't go wrong with the bamboo trim. It looks absolutely beautiful. I love the other wood trims, but this one is diff. and I think it actually makes the car look even more beautiful on the inside.

I would like to see one in person, but the local dealer didn't have any black/bamboo interior in stock, and they don't know when they will (they are rather clueless). I am in a toss up between the dark poplar and bamboo, and I am hearing so many different opinions it is crazy. Until I can see one in person (not just the pictures on the BMW website though the brochure is somewhat helpful), I won't be able to make the best decision. Right now I ordered bamboo, but I have until the third week of May to change my mind. I do know the light poplar is out. Didn't like it.

fp60
04-06-2007, 11:00 AM
I looked at a black on black x5 with the bamboo trim... the x5 has a different number for the bamboo with ordering it than on the 5 series. The color/trim combo looked awsome in the x5 in person. The combo looks great in the UK website when u config the car. I hope it looks that good in person because that is what i ordered last saturday! LOL

I just saw a website pic of the NY Autoshow with an interior shot of the dash and it the pic it looks like there is a thin 'line' of metal trim along the bottom of the bamboo on the dash.
Might just be a reflection of the pic but im not sure!!! it looks good though. the x5 has a metal trim on the dash and doors which looks awesome.
:eeps: