PDA

View Full Version : Just bought CPO BMW - chip in windshield

bimmerdude07
03-31-2007, 07:19 AM
I just purchsed a CPO'd 5 series and noticed a chip in the windshield. It looks like someone may have tried to fix it already (I see a small circle surrounding the chip). Dealer wants to see it...

What is the right thing for the dealer to do in this situation? I notified them 1 day after taking delivery.

GolferEngineer
03-31-2007, 07:34 AM
I think it is up to the dealer and BMW NA. Since you had it only one day and there is evidence of a repair and depending where it is on the windshield you may or may not get a new windshield. I got a chip on mine, low enough where it is out of the field of view and had it "fixed". It really doesn't bother me.

That being said, I didn't notice until three days after I picked up the car that there was a very small but noticeable dent in the front passenger door. My brother and I went over it with a fine tooth comb before I took delivery but I guess the light wasn't quite right to see it. I know I received it this way since it didn't leave my site or driveway fo the first few days. I decided to forget about it - since then I've got a few minor dents in the hood and trunk from falling debris from trees, etc.

Good luck and enjoy the car!

crvtt
04-01-2007, 05:23 PM
You bought a used car, not a new one. The circle around it would indicate that a repair was made. I've had windshield chips repaired before and unless it's directly in your line of sight on the driver's side, you tend to forget it was ever there. So if you find a stone chip that was touched up, do you expect them to repaint that portion of the car?

crvtt
04-01-2007, 05:30 PM
You bought a used car, not a new one. The circle around it would indicate that a repair was made. I've had windshield chips repaired before and unless it's directly in your line of sight on the driver's side, you tend to forget it was ever there. So if you find a stone chip that was touched up, do you expect them to repaint that portion of the car?

kishg
04-01-2007, 08:22 PM

it is something the dealership should have disclosed however. so i think he's within his rights to ask for redress.

wasupdu
04-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Not their responsibility to do anything, but if you push them hard enough you should be able to get it fixed/replaced.

shabbaman
04-01-2007, 10:07 PM
What is the law in NY regarding Inspection and chips on the swept area of the windshield? I think if this were Jersey and the chip was in the swept area of the windshield the dealer may be held responsible to address the issue since he must sell you a car that will pass inspection. I am going to take an educated guess and say that New York is similar.

Any lawyers that can chime in and speak about this portion of the law in NY?

Another perspective to consider - When returning a leased vehicle to BMW, if the crack or chip is small and outside the swept area then it's ok, if there is a chip of any kind in the swept area, the lessee is responsible. The description on BMW's website is more specific than this but that is the general idea.

To answer your question I think we first need to know where on the windshield the crack is.

bimmerdude07
04-02-2007, 07:37 AM
The chip is towards the top of the windshield on the drivers side. So, I wouldn't say it is in my line of site. Question.....does anyone of a chip (even if it has been "fixed") on a windshield passes the BMW test for certification (according to the BMW USA guidelines)?