PDA

View Full Version : Paint

04-02-2007, 08:35 AM
I accidently ran my finger nail (lightly) on the back bumper and left a scratch on the paint (jet black). I thought I can rub that off, but wrong, as it is scratched and can be view at the correct lighting angle.

So curiously I did the same on a metal surface (in a corner somewhere of course), again, it is scrached.

The paint is so frickin fragile that I feel if I lean against the car it will get scratched?!?!

Anybody else noticed this?

n pinson
04-02-2007, 08:40 AM
I dont think there is a problem with the paint. 8-9 years ago when is was a little boy I ran my fingernail (on purpose) in two sweeping arcs on the hood by the BMW emblem. It was jet black as well. I was just messing around and when I tried to wipe it off again it wouldnt go away. Needless to say I never told my dad about it becuase it ended up getting a repaint job on the hood for some other reason later on. :eeps:

I dont think there is a problem with your paint. :dunno:

04-02-2007, 08:46 AM
I have a white Honda and the paint is not like this. It really takes a scratch to make a scratch. I am just wondering if this is because of its black or because of its BMW.

kjboyd
04-02-2007, 09:00 AM
BMW uses a baked on powder clear coat, it's just not as strong as other liquid-based paints, and therefor scratched and chips much more easliy. so save the environment.

harrymudd
04-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I have a silver/gray '06 M3 and it has more small stone chips in 10 months of ownership than my 1990 Mustang did when I recently sold it. I feel like it is a rock magnet.

Ishniknork
04-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Find a good detailer or take it to a body shop. They can probably buff it out for you.

I have not noticed any lack of quality in the clearcoat. Mine still looks great after 1-3/4 years. Of course I haven't tried to damage it either :dunno:

04-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Find a good detailer or take it to a body shop. They can probably buff it out for you.

I have not noticed any lack of quality in the clearcoat. Mine still looks great after 1-3/4 years. Of course I haven't tried to damage it either :dunno:

From everyday regular use you will get these scratch, they are unavoidable. I am saying it is SO easily scratched.

Ishniknork
04-03-2007, 05:06 PM
From everyday regular use you will get these scratch, they are unavoidable. I am saying it is SO easily scratched.
I assume you have a brand new 2007. How old is it? I'm no paint guy but I've read that new car paint isn't fully cured for sometimes several months after the car leaves the factory. I took extra special care not to damage the paint for the first few months just in case that's true. I've also read that BMW paint is a bit softer than other manufacturers. Whether this is true or not I really do not know but my paint/clearcoat seems as durable as any other.

I've seen light scrapes from fingernails and jewelry around door handles and such on many a car. It's nothing out of the ordinary to me. Most of those cars probably didn't have 1 coat of wax on them. I'd recommend taking good care of your finish for a month or two and then getting a good 2-3 coats of your choice wax or car finish applied. Remember- new cars do not come from the factory already waxed. It's just bare clearcoat you're looking at.

Like I said before, I'm not an expert. Just trying to help out :D You might want to check the detailing forum here for some more/better advice or information. Here, I'll make it easy ;) :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

cbj
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Somebody has already hit my bumper and I have put a two scratches from a little packing incidence. Damn it I am putting utility back into the X3 and it will get used like an SUV.

04-03-2007, 06:07 PM
I assume you have a brand new 2007. How old is it? I'm no paint guy but I've read that new car paint isn't fully cured for sometimes several months after the car leaves the factory. I took extra special care not to damage the paint for the first few months just in case that's true. I've also read that BMW paint is a bit softer than other manufacturers. Whether this is true or not I really do not know but my paint/clearcoat seems as durable as any other.

I've seen light scrapes from fingernails and jewelry around door handles and such on many a car. It's nothing out of the ordinary to me. Most of those cars probably didn't have 1 coat of wax on them. I'd recommend taking good care of your finish for a month or two and then getting a good 2-3 coats of your choice wax or car finish applied. Remember- new cars do not come from the factory already waxed. It's just bare clearcoat you're looking at.

Like I said before, I'm not an expert. Just trying to help out :D You might want to check the detailing forum here for some more/better advice or information. Here, I'll make it easy ;) :

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

I got it two weeks ago. So the car is close to 2 months old. Gently run your finger on a Jap car and you won't leave anything behind, but a bimmer? scatches.