PDA

View Full Version : flat tire ,phew! getting it off x3

mathjak107
04-03-2007, 01:00 AM
got a flat last night which sucked, but trying to get the wheel off was a real horror. i kicked it, i hit it, finally after 20 minutes it came off. for a vehicle only 8 months old i dont understand why getting the wheel off was such a chore.

AzNMpower32
04-03-2007, 05:41 AM
The Germans want to make sure you dont have any trouble on the Nurburgring. Thus, the wheels, and just about anything else on the car, is screwed super-tight and the car itself is cut from a single block of granite. :bigpimp:

No seriously, that's normal. I had loads of trouble getting the wheels off many cars, not just the X3. Well, to be honest, we haven't taken the wheels off the X3 ourselves (no need to), but its about the same for other cars.

dug01
04-03-2007, 05:52 AM
got a flat last night which sucked, but trying to get the wheel off was a real horror. i kicked it, i hit it, finally after 20 minutes it came off. for a vehicle only 8 months old i dont understand why getting the wheel off was such a chore.

First--remove wheels and clean off the hub and the back of the wheel--then Coat the hub and the back of the wheel (where it seats on the hub) and the raised portion of the hub that fits in the center hole of the wheel with a thin coat of Brake grease--do not get it in the threaded holes or on the bolts--also coat the center hole of the wheel.
What happens is the steel hub and the aluminum wheel cause a thin corrosion to form and it kinda welds them together.

vern
04-03-2007, 08:14 AM
In most cases its very very hard to get the wheel off because of the corrosion on the hub. My question is why go thru all that trouble getting the wheel off when you have BMW Roadside Assistance ?
cheers
vern

Andre
04-03-2007, 03:53 PM
The trick is to lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet towards the wheel. Then kick the bottom of the tire with both feet at once very hard.

04-03-2007, 06:02 PM
My question is why go thru all that trouble getting the wheel off when you have BMW Roadside Assistance ?

Exactly the point!

Ishniknork
04-03-2007, 09:37 PM
My question is why go thru all that trouble getting the wheel off when you have BMW Roadside Assistance ?

Exactly the point!
Ummm, lets see... Maybe because I could USUALLY change the wheel and be on my way before Roadside Assistance could even get there... IF the darn thing wasn't welded to the CAR!!! :rofl:

dug01 is correct. That corrosion between the dissimilar metals practically "welds" the wheel on. Treating the surfaces like he suggests eliminates the problem.

BMWREP
06-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Ummm, lets see... Maybe because I could USUALLY change the wheel and be on my way before Roadside Assistance could even get there... IF the darn thing wasn't welded to the CAR!!! :rofl:

dug01 is correct. That corrosion between the dissimilar metals practically "welds" the wheel on. Treating the surfaces like he suggests eliminates the problem.

I been advised to basically put the lug nuts on a little loose and take vech off jack, roll car back and forth five feet a few times and it should come off, its due as you said to the corrosion on the tires

Ishniknork
06-20-2007, 12:14 AM
I been advised to basically put the lug nuts on a little loose and take vech off jack, roll car back and forth five feet a few times and it should come off, its due as you said to the corrosion on the tires
Good solution there BMWREP. :thumbup: That sounds a lot easier than kicking the wheel :ouch: Thanks for the advice and Welcome to the 'Fest!

b-y
06-20-2007, 12:22 AM
I carry a special 17mm wrench that works on BMWs and MBs. It has a 17 mm thinner-than-usual head (for the recessed lug bolts) and an included angle greater than 90 deg. (to avoid skinned knuckles). It is one piece, and I can't find it now on the web.

There are several entendable ones that should also work, such as this one at Griot's:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_2000&L2=L2_2040&L3=L3_2043&SKU=10251

Also, I use anti-seize compound rather than brake grease, but in either case do NOT get it on the threads.

sfca-325i
06-20-2007, 08:14 AM

One less step would be to not, initially, jack up the car. Loosen the lug nuts slightly, move the car forward/backward a few times, then jack up the car.

lochness
06-20-2007, 08:27 AM
With a shop jack you can loosen the lugs and then "drop" the car somewhat gently a couple times and it also works to loosen them. I rotate my tires a couple times / year and if you use a wire brush gently on the hub I've never had the issue recur. The brake grease is a good idea and I will try it on my M3 given the staggered setup I can't rotate them.

b-y
06-20-2007, 11:50 AM
I carry a special 17mm wrench that works on BMWs and MBs. It has a 17 mm thinner-than-usual head (for the recessed lug bolts) and an included angle greater than 90 deg. (to avoid skinned knuckles). It is one piece, and I can't find it now on the web.

Here is a link to the FACOM wrench. The markings on it say 77 - 17H. It works perfectly.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3216641&page=2

X3 Skier
06-20-2007, 12:57 PM
First--remove wheels and clean off the hub and the back of the wheel--then Coat the hub and the back of the wheel (where it seats on the hub) and the raised portion of the hub that fits in the center hole of the wheel with a thin coat of Brake grease--do not get it in the threaded holes or on the bolts--also coat the center hole of the wheel.
What happens is the steel hub and the aluminum wheel cause a thin corrosion to form and it kinda welds them together.

If Brake Grease means Anti Seize Compound , that is a good idea. In fact a mag I just got today (Handyman) had the very same suggestion.

Cheers