PDA

View Full Version : Visible IP adresses?


Mathew
01-30-2003, 02:22 PM
i dont know if there's any room for this in the board software, but i think it would be great if there was some way to show someone's IP, or something of the same sort....

I dont think ill post here a lot, this site is great as is. Maybe free airline tickets to Santa Barbara for the real Bimmerfest :dunno:

TD
01-30-2003, 02:31 PM
Bad idea. Very bad idea.

Read here for more- http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12240

Mathew
01-30-2003, 02:38 PM
well, scratch that idea

Jon Shafer
01-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Mathew

i dont know if there's any room for this in the board software, but i think it would be great if there was some way to show someone's IP, or something of the same sort....

I dont think ill post here a lot, this site is great as is. Maybe free airline tickets to Santa Barbara for the real Bimmerfest :dunno:


That's an easy one...

Click on who's online...

:thumbup:

When there are a lot of people on the site (and on e46fanatics)
it is very s-l-o-w to load...

Kaz
01-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Jon Shafer
That's an easy one...

Click on who's online...

:thumbup:

When there are a lot of people on the site (and on e46fanatics)
it is very s-l-o-w to load...

Too bad it only works for admins... :p

Clem
01-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Jon Shafer
That's an easy one...

Click on who's online...

:thumbup:

When there are a lot of people on the site (and on e46fanatics)
it is very s-l-o-w to load...

psssst only for admins Jon ;)

LarryN
01-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by TD
Bad idea. Very bad idea.

Read here for more- http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12240

Seriously, do you really think it's an open invite for people to track you down? That really seems like paranoia. Toadfly has had IP address info on their site for a couple of years (at least). Matter of fact, I recall you being stalked, and that very info helping you piece things together.

Kinda keeps thing on the up and up. I think this is a great idea!

nate
01-30-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by LarryN
Seriously, do you really think it's an open invite for people to track you down? That really seems like paranoia. Toadfly has had IP address info on their site for a couple of years (at least). Matter of fact, I recall you being stalked, and that very info helping you piece things together.

Kinda keeps thing on the up and up. I think this is a great idea!

Considering that it HAS happened to him :eeps:

TD
01-30-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by LarryN
Seriously, do you really think it's an open invite for people to track you down? That really seems like paranoia. Toadfly has had IP address info on their site for a couple of years (at least). Matter of fact, I recall you being stalked, and that very info helping you piece things together.

Kinda keeps thing on the up and up. I think this is a great idea!

No. I'd much rather not know who my stalkers are then to give the lurking stalkers the ability to track me down.

I have received phone calls at the office after my work IP (with URL) started showing up at the Org. That is the main reason I do not post there as TD anymore without first going through a proxy. As that's a PITA (and since Roadfly content blows), I very rarely post there.

LarryN
01-30-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by nate328Ci
Considering that it HAS happened to him :eeps:

Not surprised. But, should we really not have something that could be useful to the rest of us because TD had a stalker from the org, because he slammed somebody's car that they were proud of, they got pissed and make his life tough? It could certainly clear up some of the finger pointing and guesstimated esses about aliases.:dunno:

TD
01-30-2003, 07:59 PM
As a better idea (IMO), in order to register here, you should have to use a legitimate non-free email address. As it is, you can register here with "biteme@yousuck.com" and it will work. Make a registree have to reply to an automated email message in order to register AND exclude yahoo.com and hotmail.com (and other free) email addresses from being considered vaild.

Will this guarantee that we won't have trolls? Of course not. But it will make it more difficult.

Plaz
01-30-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by LarryN
Not surprised. But, should we really not have something that could be useful to the rest of us because TD had a stalker from the org, because he slammed somebody's car that they were proud of, they got pissed and make his life tough? It could certainly clear up some of the finger pointing and guesstimated esses about aliases.:dunno:

The admins have access to that information should it be REALLY needed.

I don't need everyone on this board to see my company's address listed either. It would be a very bad move IMO, and would probably result in many of us abandoning the community.

I work for an entertainment company, and had people pitching me materials after seeing my IP address on the 'fly! Not the kind of crap I need.

It would be unnecessary, and undesirable to post posters' IP addresses publicly. Consider this a VERY strong "NO!" vote to this suggestion.

Thanks.

johnlew
01-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by TD
As a better idea (IMO), in order to register here, you should have to use a legitimate non-free email address. As it is, you can register here with "biteme@yousuck.com" and it will work. Make a registree have to reply to an automated email message in order to register AND exclude yahoo.com and hotmail.com (and other free) email addresses from being considered vaild.

Will this guarantee that we won't have trolls? Of course not. But it will make it more difficult.

I don't want my "clean" email address being used for stuff like this.

Aside from an occasional lapse, I don't find trolls a problem here.

TD
01-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
I don't want my "clean" email address being used for stuff like this.

Aside from an occasional lapse, I don't find trolls a problem here.

JUST to register. You could then change your email address used when you click on the "email" buttons (in prefs) to be any address you want. It will only ensure that anyone registered can be contacted at a real email address and any abuse can be reported to the ISP (or employer).

Plaz
01-30-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by TD
JUST to register. You could then change your email address used when you click on the "email" buttons (in prefs) to be any address you want. It will only ensure that anyone registered can be contacted at a real email address and any abuse can be reported to the ISP (or employer).

Yeah, that's a good call. :thumbup:

johnlew
01-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by TD
JUST to register. You could then change your email address used when you click on the "email" buttons (in prefs) to be any address you want. It will only ensure that anyone registered can be contacted at a real email address and any abuse can be reported to the ISP (or employer).

Maybe, but my clean email address is used very judiciously. Who knows who could do what with it. I get zero spam in that box and want zero risk of jeapordizing it.

Again, the occasional troll comes and goes relatively quickly from this forum, and IMO is not a problem. The chronic trolls are here and here to stay; paid email will not solve that issue, as you noted.

TD
01-30-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
Maybe, but my clean email address is used very judiciously. Who knows who could do what with it. I get zero spam in that box and want zero risk of jeapordizing it.

Again, the occasional troll comes and goes relatively quickly from this forum, and IMO is not a problem. The chronic trolls are here and here to stay; paid email will not solve that issue, as you noted.

Do you agree that the email address used to register should at least be valid (even if we don't exclude yahoo and hotmail)? The standard automated email that you ahve to reply to in order to validate your registration. Hell, even Roadfly requires a real email address to register there (if you choose to register).

johnlew
01-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by TD
Do you agree that the email address used to register should at least be valid (even if we don't exclude yahoo and hotmail)? The standard automated email that you ahve to reply to in order to validate your registration. Hell, even Roadfly requires a real email address to register there (if you choose to register).

Sure. I have no objection to validating the address. Just let me use a web based one.

AB
01-30-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by johnlew
Maybe, but my clean email address is used very judiciously. Who knows who could do what with it. I get zero spam in that box and want zero risk of jeapordizing it.

Again, the occasional troll comes and goes relatively quickly from this forum, and IMO is not a problem. The chronic trolls are here and here to stay; paid email will not solve that issue, as you noted.

That was the beauty of AO-HELL. Anything I registered for used a RyanJunk@aol type of address. Posting @ roadfly was always done using AOL's proxy, to avoid any stalkers or trolls or otherwise getting a "work read" on me. On the other hand, I have never pissed anybody off to the point where they would want to stalk me (not to my knowledge, at least).

I, too, keep my clean email (aka work) VERY CLEAN with no spam.