BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Settings for H&R Coilovers

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  stika 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am a newbie to this forum and fairly new to the M5 BMW world. I purchased a 2001 M5 Carbon Black in January with 33000 miles (Certified Preowned BMW) and have now realized what the fuss was all about. This is the finest car I have ever had the honor to own. But back to my questions; I have a few questions about setting up my Coilovers H&R on my 2001 M5. I am looking to lower the car about an 1 1/2in. in the front and 1" in the back. Any info would be great regarding intial setting etc., ..

Thanks,

Benzo

Retrosolla@aol.com

#2 ·
Welcome!
The way I did it when I had them (on another vehicle), was to measure from the fender lip to the center cap. Lower, re-measure, repeat until you get where you want it. I've of other methods, but this worked for me. Good Luck.

Get us some pictures of your new partner in crime. BTW, check out M5board.com.

#3 ·
What he said. Not sure I'd want to lower my beast though. You might need to stiffen the springs to prevent bottoming out, then the ride is too harsh, etc. It's not a race car IMHO. Just a great sport-lux.

#4 ·
Thanks you guys. I was reading somewhere that a good starting point is 13.0 in the front and 13.50 in the back. I definitely dont want too much of a rake and the car too low. I will say that I see your point Mark. The car stock is got to be just one of the most amazing performing cars (price and value). I have got to the point, seeing everyone on these boards with all their mods and opinions on making the car better. It has me thinking the coilovers are a good first mod. ... Maybe 19" forged wheels next not sure.

Thanks,

Benzo

#5 ·
Actually, the best first mod: Toyo RA-1's. I get almost no wheel spin, and have yet to reach the limit of traction. Absolutely amazing.

2nd best: 275's on the front (using rear wheels on front with 3mm spacers). Many say it eliminates understeer. Not sure if that's a good thing, considering I think it's easier to control and understeer-biased car than an oversteer-biased car. I had an accident in my supercharged Z/28 in my early 20's because of oversteer.

#6 ·
Actually, the best first mod: Toyo RA-1's. I get almost no wheel spin, and have yet to reach the limit of traction. Absolutely amazing.

2nd best: 275's on the front (using rear wheels on front with 3mm spacers). Many say it eliminates understeer. Not sure if that's a good thing, considering I think it's easier to control and understeer-biased car than an oversteer-biased car. I had an accident in my supercharged Z/28 in my early 20's because of oversteer.
I have seen this to be a true mod. I think I going with a stiffer rear sway bar to achieve the same results. Plus it's a little cheaper. Probably will go with Dinan since it's adjustable and relatively inexpensive ($199).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.