PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer in trunk of E39

540iBakers
04-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi,

I recently had a Bazooka subwoofer installed in the trunk of my 2003 540i but the installer told me that while the installation was successful, the bass wouldn't transmit very well into the cabin of the car because of the metal of the rear seats. He suggested cutting a hole to allow the bass to enter the cabin. I declined that.

Is there any other way to get more bass into the cabin without drilling or cutting? I remember reading a post recently about someone with an E39 removing the factory subwoofer that allowed bass to enter from the trunk. I didn't know that E39s had factory subwoofers. Well at least mine doesn't. So what can I do?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ken@BSW
04-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi,

I recently had a Bazooka subwoofer installed in the trunk of my 2003 540i but the installer told me that while the installation was successful, the bass wouldn't transmit very well into the cabin of the car because of the metal of the rear seats. He suggested cutting a hole to allow the bass to enter the cabin. I declined that.

Is there any other way to get more bass into the cabin without drilling or cutting? I remember reading a post recently about someone with an E39 removing the factory subwoofer that allowed bass to enter from the trunk. I didn't know that E39s had factory subwoofers. Well at least mine doesn't. So what can I do?

Thanks in advance for the help!

If the vehicle were equipped with either DSP, or M Audio, there wold have been factory subwoofers installed. If not, the locations in the rear deck of the factory subwoofer cutouts may or may not be covered. If they are, they should simply be 'perforated', and can be knocked out with a good blow with a hammer. The factory ski-pass opening can also be cut out by any competent body shop for a minimal fee, and this will greatly increase the bass response in the vehicle.

540iBakers
04-20-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I know about the ski-pass and am contemplating getting that cut. I looked in my car and I cannot see any place for the cutouts for the factory subwoofer. Mine does not have the subwoofer, but I do not see any cutouts. The only thing I see are vents for the rear windshield and the two rear speakers on the rear deck.

Where would the cutouts be?

Thanks!

el_duderino
04-21-2007, 09:34 AM
They are much smaller than you would think, in the rear deck, and don't work for squat in my experience.

The ski-pass panel area is apparent when the trunk liner panel is pulled, but is not perforated like in some other cars.

Of course, after you do cut a hole in your car, you're still going to be hearing a Bazooka, so I don't now how ultimately rewarding that will be... the panel needs to be removed for something that can sound good to sound good, but I don't know if it will make your bazooka sound good or not.

540iBakers
04-21-2007, 01:27 PM
I ended up finding where the factory subwoofer cutouts are via internet searching. Instead of removing the backseat and rear deck, I opted to drill a hole into each of the two cutouts and yank the cutouts with a pair of needle nose pliers and a screwdriver. Works much better now. I don't want an extreme amount of bass, just what is not there from the factory non-DSP system.

Thanks for all the help.

el_duderino
04-21-2007, 03:46 PM
I haven't set up a car with an extreme amount of bass since Bush I. A single 10" sounds very musical and real.

I'm glad you like the improvement you experienced.

sidneyj
04-21-2007, 03:53 PM
I ended up finding where the factory subwoofer cutouts are via internet searching. Instead of removing the backseat and rear deck, I opted to drill a hole into each of the two cutouts and yank the cutouts with a pair of needle nose pliers and a screwdriver. Works much better now. I don't want an extreme amount of bass, just what is not there from the factory non-DSP system.

Thanks for all the help.Well you did it the hard way by drilling a hole. All you needed was a screwdriver and lightly hammering the perforation then bending it off. If you didn't already, also remove the circular foam insulation that is just above these cut outs. These are perforated also so just pull on them and they come right out.