PDA

View Full Version : e36 M3 stereo upgrade

coolguyat1b
04-24-2007, 11:43 PM
I was looking to upgrade the in-dash player on my E36 M3. I talked to a friend who works at Circuit City and he said I would have to rewire the system b/c BMW has 2 ohm wiring while other players, like the Sony one I was looking at, is supposed to be used with 4 ohm wiring. He said if I don't change the wiring but just change the in-dash that the music will sound horrible coming out of speakers. Can anyone confirm or refute this for me? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Ken@BSW
04-25-2007, 07:42 AM
I was looking to upgrade the in-dash player on my E36 M3. I talked to a friend who works at Circuit City and he said I would have to rewire the system b/c BMW has 2 ohm wiring while other players, like the Sony one I was looking at, is supposed to be used with 4 ohm wiring. He said if I don't change the wiring but just change the in-dash that the music will sound horrible coming out of speakers. Can anyone confirm or refute this for me? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

That is completely false. All the head unit does is provides a pre-amp signal to your factory amplifier. By replacing with an aftermarket head unit, you are providing a better quality signal to your factory amp, therefore increasing the overall sound quality of your stereo system.

To install a head unit in an E36, all you need is a wire harness adapter, and an antenna adapter, both of which can be found here:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/products.php/CA=171

el_duderino
04-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Why would you believe a friend who works at Circuit City? They don't hand out clues there, honest...

coolguyat1b
04-25-2007, 11:23 PM
Ok, thanks a lot. I was NOT gonna have it done there but I just figured I would ask him to see what he might know. Then I realized that you guys are much smarter. Thanks again!

coolguyat1b
04-25-2007, 11:37 PM
I do basically all the service on my M3 but have never messed around with the electrical or audio system. Is this something that I can install myself or should I have it professionally installed?

Ken@BSW
04-26-2007, 07:50 AM
I do basically all the service on my M3 but have never messed around with the electrical or audio system. Is this something that I can install myself or should I have it professionally installed?

If you can do the maintenance, then you can most definitely swap the head unit. It's a very simple installation.

coolguyat1b
04-26-2007, 05:03 PM
thank you, will do