PDA

View Full Version : [eas] Official DICE High Definition Radio (w/ iPod support) Q/A thread

tom @ eas
04-30-2007, 09:50 AM
We felt the HD DICE kits deserved its own Q/A thread in order to make support easier to find/receive for new HD users.

All questions regarding features, compatibility, installation and bug reports can be submitted to this thread.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/images/promotion/hddice/dicemodule.jpg (http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=467)

HD Radio is here and so is the HD DICE- HD Radio™ receiver!

Until now, to receive the digital transmissions, you needed to replace your BMW radio system with an aftermarket HD Radio receiver. The solution is the HD DICE. Enjoy radio quality like you’ve never heard before without having to replace your factory stereo system! The HD DICE™ is an external HD Radio™ tuner that integrates to the factory car radio the same way as an external SAT radio tuner would. The HD DICE integration allows users to change and select HD Radio stations using the buttons on their existing car radio or using the controls found on the steering wheel.

How it Connects...

The interface connects to the vehicle’s external device (SAT/CDC) connection port and optional auxiliary device and iPod integration cable is available. BMW-specific connectors are provided to shorten installation time and a small on-glass antenna - optimized for HD Radio reception - is used to receive the digital AM/FM signal.

What is HD Radio?

HD Radio is the most outstanding advancement in radio broad-casting since the introduction of FM stereo more than 50 years ago. HD Radio Technology enables AM and FM radio stations to broadcast local programs digitally. You can experience more content, multicast channels, and higher audio quality at any of over 1000 digital transmitting terrestrial radio stations currently on the air! These multicast channels also provide commercial free digital content and since HD RadioTM is subscription free, you do not have to pay any monthly fees to be able to enjoy its quality.

How does it work?
Basically, digital radio works the same as conventional radio. There’s a signal on one end and a receiver on the other. But there are a few key differences:

- Instead of sending out one analog signal, stations send out a bundled signal both analog and digital. Because it is digital, textual data such as traffic, stock info and song titles can be sent out, as well.
- The digital signal layer is compressed.
- The combined analog and digital signals are transmitted.
- Inevitably, radio signals bounce off objects, causing what is called multipath distortions. This is what causes the static in conventional radio receivers. HD Digital radio receivers are designed to sort through reflected signals, reducing static, hiss, pops and fades.
- Finally, the signals reach their destination. Both broadcasts are free, with no subscription fee. To hear the digital broadcast, all you need is our HD Radio receiver!

HD Radio includes artist, album and song information in its broadcasts. Future content may include real time traffic information for your area. The best news, HD Radio is not a subscription service. You get all this content for free!

Features

- Digital AM/FM HD Radio receiver
- HD multicast compatible
- Hard-wired interface for the best possible audio quality
- The interface connects to your BMW's CD Changer port
- HD glass mount AM/FM antenna
- iPod connection port, (optional cable required)
- Auxiliary input for additional audio playback devices
- Fully integrated controls from radio and steering wheel
- Intuitive operation with TEXT on OEM radio display
- Preserves OEM look without having to add external display or controller

What's included?

HD DICE module with iPod support
BMW-specific wiring harness
HD Glass Mount radio antenna
HD DICE User's Manual
HD Radio station Guide

Optional Items

iPod Docking Cable
DICE iPod Cradle with Video-out port

Models Supported:

1999-2006 e46 3-series, including M3 (not for i-Drive models)
1997-2003 e39 5-series, including M5
09/1998-2001 e38 7 series
2004-2007 e83 X3
2000-2006 e53 X5
2001-2002 Z3, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2003-2007 Z4, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2000-2003 Z8

Product Links

european auto source
http://www.europeanautosource.com

DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_69_135_170&products_id=467

HD Radio Coverage, FAQs
http://www.hdradio.com

iPod integration

How can a good product get better? By integrating the best iPod integration kit available into the HD-receiver as one! Yes, our DICE iPod integration kit is now built into the HD receiver box for the best of both worlds and an unlimited supply of music. Simply plug in your iPod (connector available separately) and have instant iPod control, charging and text display at your fingertips! More information on the DICE iPod kit features can be found on our site.

Feel free to respond with any questions you may have.

tom @ eas
04-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Give Moms, Dads & Grads the gift of a High Definition Radio receiver...

...and get $40 back when purchased between April 29th-July 3rd.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/images/hddice_main.jpg

DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_69_135_170&products_id=467

Downloadable rebate form can be obtained by clicking the button below:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/images/vendors/dice/hd/rebate_but.jpg (http://www.europeanautosource.com/images/vendors/dice/hd/hdradio_rebate_certificate.pdf)

oceanmaster66
04-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Tom,
Last week you told me that you were working on alternative solutions for a stealth installation of the HD antenna, and that "We are testing some antennas late this week and will report to the forums our findings".

Do you have anything to report? I'm anxiously waiting to install mine!

Thanks
Mike

tom @ eas
04-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Tom,
Last week you told me that you were working on alternative solutions for a stealth installation of the HD antenna, and that "We are testing some antennas late this week and will report to the forums our findings".

Thanks
Mike

Absolutely - we are running some testing as we speak and would like a few more days before we can be 100% sure on reception. We'll keep the thread updated with a full report.

oceanmaster66
04-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks Tom......looking forward to the results.

Regards,
Mike

BimmerFr3aK
05-01-2007, 09:41 PM
my hd radio antenna sucks for reception even when properly alligned and grounded. stealth solutionwould be great

tlgardner
05-02-2007, 07:48 PM
I'm considering this for my 2003 330 conv. A couple of questions: I'm pretty sure I want everything in the trunk since I don't want to be distracted by the ipod or risk forgetting to remove or secure it - can I effectively mount the hd radio antenna in the trunk? Also, I've read the 2 page instruction sheet I found online, but is there a more indepth demo, review, et cetera on the actual operation of the unit in hd radio and ipod mode. My concern is that the interface is too complex or tiresome. Thanks in advance.

tom @ eas
05-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm considering this for my 2003 330 conv. A couple of questions: I'm pretty sure I want everything in the trunk since I don't want to be distracted by the ipod or risk forgetting to remove or secure it - can I effectively mount the hd radio antenna in the trunk? Also, I've read the 2 page instruction sheet I found online, but is there a more indepth demo, review, et cetera on the actual operation of the unit in hd radio and ipod mode. My concern is that the interface is too complex or tiresome. Thanks in advance.

The HD antenna element needs to have an non-obstructed view of the sky in order to receive HD signals, if you want - the antenna can be mounted on the rear glass provided there is no window tint.

Otherwise, bring the HD module up behind the glovebox and place the micro antenna on the upper left hand part of the windshield.

oceanmaster66
05-07-2007, 04:30 PM
Tom,

Any news on the stealth installation of the HD antenna?

Mike

tom @ eas
05-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Tom,

Any news on the stealth installation of the HD antenna?

Mike

Yes, did some testing over the weekend to and from Bimmerfest and very pleased. We will have news this week. :)

RonV
05-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Tom --

I just got my kit from you this week. I'd love to avoid an antenna on my windshield, so I'm waiting on your info before installing. I'd take a shot at your instructions this weekend if they're ready.

-Ron

tom @ eas
05-10-2007, 03:15 PM
Tom --

I just got my kit from you this week. I'd love to avoid an antenna on my windshield, so I'm waiting on your info before installing. I'd take a shot at your instructions this weekend if they're ready.

-Ron

Ran into a snag on testing, but we'll be doing more this weekend.

oceanmaster66
05-18-2007, 06:05 AM
Tom,

Several weeks ago you said that you needed a few more days to test the stealth installation of the HD antenna and that you would keep the thread updated. Do you have any information to pass along??

Mike

tom @ eas
05-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Not yet - still working on some final issues before we make any announcements.

Stryker719
05-18-2007, 11:01 AM
My kit is coming in the mail today - where do I download instructions on installing it?

tom @ eas
05-18-2007, 11:06 AM
My kit is coming in the mail today - where do I download instructions on installing it?

Basic instructions come with the kit - these can be used as well. The only difference is the antenna: http://www.europeanautosource.com/support-center/index.php

Stryker719
05-19-2007, 09:53 AM
This may sound like a stupid question, but where does the DICE component box remain after you've routed the cables via the glovebox? Does it rest in the glovebox itself, or behind it?

Stryker719
05-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Ok, I got the sucker installed and wired beautifully. HD Radio works well.

Two problems though; the audio for both the iPod and HD Radio is ONLY coming from the driver side door of the vehicle. When I switch to normal CD or radio, sound returns to all speakers.

Also, I am unable to change tracks with the steering wheel. When I use the forward or reverse arrows, it changes inputs.

I have a 2004 BMW 330xi, Harman Kardon sound system, Business CD (no CD changer). The problem with the audio persists whether HK is turned on or off.
My iPod is a brand new video one w/ 30gb and the latest firmware installed.

tom @ eas
05-20-2007, 01:20 PM
This may sound like a stupid question, but where does the DICE component box remain after you've routed the cables via the glovebox? Does it rest in the glovebox itself, or behind it?

There is room to hide the HD DICE unit behind the glovebox. The only thing exposed would be the iPod cable

tom @ eas
05-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Ok, I got the sucker installed and wired beautifully. HD Radio works well.

Two problems though; the audio for both the iPod and HD Radio is ONLY coming from the driver side door of the vehicle. When I switch to normal CD or radio, sound returns to all speakers.

Also, I am unable to change tracks with the steering wheel. When I use the forward or reverse arrows, it changes inputs.

I have a 2004 BMW 330xi, Harman Kardon sound system, Business CD (no CD changer). The problem with the audio persists whether HK is turned on or off.
My iPod is a brand new video one w/ 30gb and the latest firmware installed.

Double-check the wires to make sure nothing was pulled out or cut during the install process. If you continue to have problems, contact me directly and I'll make arrangements to have the kit replaced under warranty.

MightyY
05-21-2007, 10:46 AM
I just installed the HD Dice in my 04 325Ci convertible. I ran the unit to my glovebox (tried like heck to find a place for it behind the glovebox, but couldn't fit it anywhere, so it's living in the glovebox right now). I mashed together the two instructions on the EAS website for the convertible and coupe installs. I'm really bad at this kinda thing, but with the step-by-step pictured instructions, it went it pretty good. The unit sounds great playing my iPod. I haven't set up the HD antenna yet cause I was too lazy.

Overall, it's a great product. It took me a while to make sense of the controls (and still have trouble trying to get it to switch playlists consistently), but I love how it scrolls the song title/artist during playback.

The only issue I had during the install was getting the HD Dice to work properly the first time. Pulling the battery cables fixed that. Haven't had any issues since.

ufokillerz
05-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey tom, how is the antenna going?

tom @ eas
05-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Hey tom, how is the antenna going?

Antenna has been working great, we were able to test most of the weekend with good results. hopefully, we can make an announcement soon as we get things a bit caught up.

link01
05-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Tom,
I installed my Dice that I purchased from you over the weekend and everything looks good. Ipod works just as it should (buttons take quite some getting used to though). The HD radio is awesome (only when it doesn't fade out). The guides you have for installation are really great by the way.

The only complaint I have is with the HD reception. Admittedly I don't have another HD radio to test but it can get real annoying that it drops in and out more often than I would like. I don't know if that's cause of the way I hooked up the antenna or the HD signal sucks (I'm in Philadelphia area). I have the Dice unit underneath the drivers front seat and the antenna sticking to the top left front winshield and the reception wire running vertically down the side of the windshield. I grounded the antenna to the screw of the driver sunvisor. Basically I followed the included the instructions but did the left instead of the right side.

I'm waiting to hear on this "stealth antenna" if that may improve the reception. Can you offer a special deal to your customers who purchased a unit from you to get this element if it works better?

tom @ eas
05-31-2007, 11:34 AM
Tom,
I installed my Dice that I purchased from you over the weekend and everything looks good. Ipod works just as it should (buttons take quite some getting used to though). The HD radio is awesome (only when it doesn't fade out). The guides you have for installation are really great by the way.

The only complaint I have is with the HD reception. Admittedly I don't have another HD radio to test but it can get real annoying that it drops in and out more often than I would like. I don't know if that's cause of the way I hooked up the antenna or the HD signal sucks (I'm in Philadelphia area). I have the Dice unit underneath the drivers front seat and the antenna sticking to the top left front winshield and the reception wire running vertically down the side of the windshield. I grounded the antenna to the screw of the driver sunvisor. Basically I followed the included the instructions but did the left instead of the right side.

I'm waiting to hear on this "stealth antenna" if that may improve the reception. Can you offer a special deal to your customers who purchased a unit from you to get this element if it works better?

Yes - it will be targeted at existing HD DICE users as well. We should have release info shortly and will update the thread as soon as we get caught up.

ufokillerz
06-05-2007, 10:07 PM
hey tom, its been quite a few days, any good news for us that want a stealth install?

tom @ eas
06-05-2007, 10:15 PM
hey tom, its been quite a few days, any good news for us that want a stealth install?

Completing final design as we speak. Patience, grasshopper. :D

ufokillerz
06-20-2007, 08:11 AM
any updates tom? throw something good at us about the progress!

tom @ eas
06-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Completing final design this week before being sent off for manufacturing. We'll give an update as soon as we have an ETA, your existing HD antenna can be used int he meantime.

ufokillerz
07-03-2007, 09:41 AM
Hi Tom, was wondering how this was going, Thanks!!

tom @ eas
07-03-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi Tom, was wondering how this was going, Thanks!!

Working on it, we'll notify the thread as soon as we are ready to offer them on the site. :)

Jonmicah
07-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Hey Guys,

After installing my Dice unit, finding a buzz, and sending it in for replacement (Tom thanks for your help on this), I finally got my DICE working properly. At least I thought so at first until I tried to save some HD stations to presets. According to the instructions, there should be 20 am and 20 FM HD radio presets. I press and hold the TRACK/FFW button. The display shows "SAVE M9" but when I try to select the memory location as soon as I press a FWD or BKWD button it takes me back to CD 2-1 on the screen and does not save. When I press 4 to cycle through the presets it takes me up through random numbers from 4-1 to 4-24 to 4-95 most of which don't have a station coming through. Any one have any advice? Is this another faulty unit? Also, Tom if you read this, the last time I sent the DICE back I sent it in the original retail packaging. When I got it back I received it in a plain cardboard box. I would like to fill out the $40 rebate that is available but it requires the original UPC which is on the box that I sent back but never got returned. How could I go about getting the rebate or another UPC. Thanks for your help.

tom @ eas
07-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Hey Guys,

After installing my Dice unit, finding a buzz, and sending it in for replacement (Tom thanks for your help on this), I finally got my DICE working properly. At least I thought so at first until I tried to save some HD stations to presets. According to the instructions, there should be 20 am and 20 FM HD radio presets. I press and hold the TRACK/FFW button. The display shows "SAVE M9" but when I try to select the memory location as soon as I press a FWD or BKWD button it takes me back to CD 2-1 on the screen and does not save. When I press 4 to cycle through the presets it takes me up through random numbers from 4-1 to 4-24 to 4-95 most of which don't have a station coming through. Any one have any advice? Is this another faulty unit? Also, Tom if you read this, the last time I sent the DICE back I sent it in the original retail packaging. When I got it back I received it in a plain cardboard box. I would like to fill out the $40 rebate that is available but it requires the original UPC which is on the box that I sent back but never got returned. How could I go about getting the rebate or another UPC. Thanks for your help.

Please contact me directly by email with your full name - you are on limited time (July 31st) to mail in your information.

tdawg183
07-20-2007, 07:44 AM
Tom, I already emailed you about this but I had a quick question. On an e39 WITHOUT fold down seats, how do I go about getting the wire through and into the cabin? I'm sure I could figure something out but I'm looking for advice mostly. Thanks again!

tom @ eas
07-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Tom, I already emailed you about this but I had a quick question. On an e39 WITHOUT fold down seats, how do I go about getting the wire through and into the cabin? I'm sure I could figure something out but I'm looking for advice mostly. Thanks again!

The rear seat will need to be removed to access the pass-through grommet for the wiring. Email me directly and I can provide pictures on how to do this.

oceanmaster66
07-27-2007, 12:46 PM
Tom,
Any news on the stealth antenna??

tom @ eas
07-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Tom,
Any news on the stealth antenna??

Coming soon, we'll update the forums as soon as we have them available for sale.

dfitler
08-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi all, this is my first post here as a new BMW 330CiC owner and new DICE HD Radio owner and thought I'd throw out a couple of hints to help folks who are installing their system.

Before I do, I'll say this: I am impressed with the sound of HD, particularly AM HD. My only complaint there is the lack of AM stations that have made the move - I'm guessing it has to do with the cost.

So, on with the hints:

First, the kit doesn't include any real instructions for installing the DICE HD unit. In fact, there really aren't any instructions specific to this unit. You're supposed to use the IPod adapter installation instructions. The problem I found was that pretty much everything from DICE refers to the BMW coupe. What I found was that you need to use some of the information from each of the two tutorials on the IPod Integration from the EAS knowledgebase. The one for the convertible got me from the trunk to the back seat, then the one for the coupe got me from the back seat to the glove box.

One comment: It's been said many times here, but forget pulling the fuses. Pull the negative lead from the battery.

At the point of actually putting the DICE box behind the glovebox, it's not clear what should be done, precisely, since the cabling is different, the actual device is different and the antenna is something that has to be considered. I installed mine on edge with the cables (other than the antenna) coming from the right side top as you look at the interface box in it's final resting place.

Ah... the antenna... <sigh>. I really hate to say it, but this is the weakest link in the Dice HD. I'm hopeful that the new 'stealth' antenna is better. As bad as it looks, the installation is even worse. Anyway, I recommend that you install the antenna BEFORE you close up the glove box over the Dice box. This is because the cable is quite a bit longer than needed and it'll let you hide the extra behind the glove box.

Also, if yours is like mine, the adhesive on the antenna element will just pretty much fall off when you try to take the antenna out of it's little round shipping container. Be prepared to put it somewhere clean and lint free (not on the floor of the car, like mine wound up...) and handle it carefully so it doesn't get stuck to itself.

I found that if you use the positioning template as they suggest in the instructions, you wind up not being able to get the antenna interface module up that high because the cable comes out the top of the interface and hits the plastic trim across the top of the windshield. Also, I noticed that the documentation says that you shouldn't put the element on the tinted part of the windshield so you will have to move the interface module down just a bit on the windshield.

Once it was installed, everything seemed to work pretty well - the interface to the system isn't real intuitive, but once you get it worked out, it's not too bad. The sound is very good, but...

After about 30 minutes of use, all of a sudden, the sound all went to the right channel for every mode - IPod, Aux or HD Radio. Regular CD and FM/AM were fine. I tried turning the radio on and off - shutting off the ignition and such. Pulling the power from the car battery and re-installing was the only way to fix it. I'm hoping this won't be something I have to do regularly as I hate unloading the trunk. Maybe there's a way to build some kind of reset switch for the system...

One other odd thing that happens. If I am listening to anything through the DICE, and turn off the radio, the display is still being updated from the DICE unit. So even though it's turned off, you'll still see the station information being updated on the radio display. This leads me to believe that the DICE unit is not being turned off when the radio is turned off.

Next are the presets. Holy crap, these are awful to set. In fact, I've spent a half hour trying to get one set and got... just one set, and it's not real 'sticky'. I've followed the instructions on the information sheet over and over but can't seem to get it to work right. Maybe someone can tell me what the trick is. I press the 'M' button, then press and hold the right arrow button. About 50% of the time, I'll see the indication that I can set a memory location, and the sound will drop in volume. No matter what I do at this point, the process seems to get cancelled and we're back to square one. The one time it sort of worked, I was able to set memory position 1, but when I tried to duplicate the process for another channel, it didn't work. I gave up for now. Maybe it requires a bit of scotch to lubricate the process... Hmmm - nope. That didn't do it... but I care a little less for now...

The last thing is that the information sheet that comes with the DICE HD says that if you tune an FM channel that has an HD version, that the system will automatically switch to the HD version after a few seconds. Um... no, it doesn't. Or if it does, I haven't figured out how to make it automatically do it (yeah, I know that doesn't make any sense). If someone can explain that to me, I'd appreciate it!!!

Anyway, I think I'm going to like this thing, if it doesn't turn into a daily job of rebooting my car! I'll post an update soon...

Thanks to EAS for the very speedy shipment and to Tom for answering my questions so patiently.

Doug Fitler
Detroit, Mi.

dfitler
08-12-2007, 03:36 PM
A little bit of an update...

The problem I mentioned in my previous post about losing the left channel after a short period of time is a continuous problem. Here's the description:

After a varying amount of time of use in any of the Dice modes (HD radio, IPod or Aux) the left channel will stop working, leaving audio coming from only the right channel. Changing modes does not fix the problem. Normal radio and CD work just fine. Two things seem to temporarily fix the problem: disconnecting the battery in the car or shutting the car off for a while. The longer the car is turned off, the longer before the Dice unit fails. It has taken up to 45 minutes to fail if the car has been off all night, and as little as 10 minutes if the car was off for 20 or 30 minutes.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I'm assuming the Dice box itself is defective (seems like maybe it's a heat related problem to me).

Doug Fitler

link01
08-13-2007, 08:36 AM
I installed my Dice HD system a few months ago, and while I still do encounter problems once in a thile, I'm quite pleased with it. Having HD radio and an Ipod hookup outweights the small issues I get every once in a while. But since dfitler above outlined his problems, I figure I would throw mine out.

The most frequent problem I have is the HD signal going in and out. I don't know if the issue is because the station I tune into are crap, the signal is blocked by trees or the position of my antenna. I hope that this would be fixed with the stealth antenna.
I can't figure out how to fast forward, rewind songs on the Ipod. On the dice manual it says to press "M" then use the < or > buttons, but I can't get that to work.
Storing stations on the Dice are a pain, retrieving stations are even more painful. HD gives you tons of additional stations, so why do I have to start at the first station preset and cycle through each one. I have 10 presets right now....I don't ever get to past 7 cause I lose patience.
Every once in a while the Dice "hangs" on me. All the buttons I press do nothing. I have to switch modes on the console to get control back. (even once it didn't come back until I restarted my car.)

I think those are my main gripes, but as I said before...even with those complains, I still like my Dice HD unit.

tom @ eas
08-13-2007, 08:39 AM
On MY02+ you simply need to press the >> button for FFD. Pre 02 requires the [m] button is pressed first.

tdawg183
08-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Maybe somebody can help me out with this one but on mine, if the signal isn't coming in strong (even non-HD) it doesn't really come in at all (ie. WAY too much static) and I'm better off listening to normal FM. Also I have never experienced:

tons of additional stations

I get a TOTAL (HD & non-HD) of 10 stations coming through on the DICE and virtually no AM stations. I'm not really complaining here because I'm very satisfied with the quality of the sound but maybe I'm doing something wrong here. I was just under the impression that this would completely replace my tuner on the MID. If I stuck strictly to the DICE for my radio then I would have about a 1/4th the possible stations than if i went with the factory radio.

On another note, why is it that we can't tap the HD antenna into the same signal as the factory antenna? All this would require would be running the little wire we tape to the window right into the antenna on the windshield from the factory. Any input?

tom @ eas
08-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Maybe somebody can help me out with this one but on mine, if the signal isn't coming in strong (even non-HD) it doesn't really come in at all (ie. WAY too much static) and I'm better off listening to normal FM. Also I have never experienced:

I get a TOTAL (HD & non-HD) of 10 stations coming through on the DICE and virtually no AM stations. I'm not really complaining here because I'm very satisfied with the quality of the sound but maybe I'm doing something wrong here. I was just under the impression that this would completely replace my tuner on the MID. If I stuck strictly to the DICE for my radio then I would have about a 1/4th the possible stations than if i went with the factory radio.

On another note, why is it that we can't tap the HD antenna into the same signal as the factory antenna? All this would require would be running the little wire we tape to the window right into the antenna on the windshield from the factory. Any input?

There is voltage coming from the HD DICE, do not do this as you may damage the DICE, the antenna amp ($200+), radio ($600+) or all three.

There could be one of 2 things happening - either the antenna element does not have a clear view of the sky, or the fastening screw does not have a "bite" on strip. Try giving it an additional 1/2 turn to make sure it is snug.

Also verify the ground strap is connected on the HD DICE antenna.

tdawg183
08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks, i'll check that out this afternoon.

link01
08-14-2007, 08:37 AM
On MY02+ you simply need to press the >> button for FFD. Pre 02 requires the [m] button is pressed first.

I just tried this and it doesn't work for me (I have a '04). On my display it shows >>, but the song just plays as normal. No fast forwarding, I hold the button down for more than 5 seconds and still nothing.

tdawg183
08-14-2007, 10:57 AM
For my '97 528i:

Don't hold the >> button down! Just press the M and then press the >> (don't hold). You should have to wait a second and then the M1-M20 will show. Now press the M again just to make sure it does not appear on the MID (you want it unselected now) and then use << or >> to select the memory location. Once selected you need to press the M again and then press the >> button (don't hold it) just as you did to get the memory locations to come up the first time. Once that's done I just waited a couple of seconds (10 to be sure) and the stations were set.

tom @ eas
08-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I just tried this and it doesn't work for me (I have a '04). On my display it shows >>, but the song just plays as normal. No fast forwarding, I hold the button down for more than 5 seconds and still nothing.

Likely the battery was not disconnected when the initial install was performed. Reboot the iPod also for safe measure:

1. Disconnect iPod from cable
2. Remove battery cables, negative first
3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
4. Allow cables to remain disconnected for about 5-7 minutes
5. Reconnect battery cables onto battery, negative last.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Let me know if these steps correct the problem

tdawg183
08-14-2007, 12:43 PM
There could be one of 2 things happening - either the antenna element does not have a clear view of the sky, or the fastening screw does not have a "bite" on strip. Try giving it an additional 1/2 turn to make sure it is snug.

This was the case, apparently I didn't tighten the screw down far enough. I ended up twisting about 1.5 more turns and all the stations come in fine now. Thanks Tom

tom @ eas
08-14-2007, 12:50 PM
This was the case, apparently I didn't tighten the screw down far enough. I ended up twisting about 1.5 more turns and all the stations come in fine now. Thanks Tom

:thumbup:

tom @ eas
09-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Hi,

i bought a Dice with HD radio from EAS and its making that clicking noise that people on here have described. Is there any fix for that or what do i need to do?
i have a
BMW 330ci 2001
I am connecting my tomtom go910 gps system though aux

thanks for your help,
sarhan

sarhan,

Where is the HD DICE module located in your BMW? If relocated, does the clicking noise get louder/quieter?

sarhane46
09-02-2007, 09:51 PM
Tom,

right now i just have the unit sitting on my seat and the noise is not there when the key is is ON position. i can hear the music (quality is not as good as i would expect it to be as there is some static maybe?). Then i turn the key on to AC and the clicking noise starts, its annoying to the point where u dont even want to listen to music anymore. So without starting the car i tried putting the Air Conditioning ON and the noise changed to a higher pitch noise. It does the same thing when you start the car and as you drive the noise chages as the RPM changes. The higher the RPM the more high pitch the noise gets. I've tried moving the unit throughout the car as i was doing each one of the steps but that didnt change anything. could it be because i didnt connect the HD antenna?

thanks for your help,
sarhan

tom @ eas
09-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Tom,

right now i just have the unit sitting on my seat and the noise is not there when the key is is ON position. i can hear the music (quality is not as good as i would expect it to be as there is some static maybe?). Then i turn the key on to AC and the clicking noise starts, its annoying to the point where u dont even want to listen to music anymore. So without starting the car i tried putting the Air Conditioning ON and the noise changed to a higher pitch noise. It does the same thing when you start the car and as you drive the noise chages as the RPM changes. The higher the RPM the more high pitch the noise gets. I've tried moving the unit throughout the car as i was doing each one of the steps but that didnt change anything. could it be because i didnt connect the HD antenna?

thanks for your help,
sarhan

Sarhan,

The HD DICE could be picking up interference from other devices in the vehicle. You can try relocating the wire to see if the noise is diminished or if you cannot find the source of the noise - a ground loop isolator must be used.

Some BMWs are more sensitive to engine noise than others. Here is a link to the version we offer on the website:

12 Amp Power Noise Filter
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?&products_id=309

TimeOut
09-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Tom,

Any news on the stealth HD antenna?

tom @ eas
09-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Not yet - soon. Going a bit of a different route on design last minute.

sarhane46
09-05-2007, 09:49 AM
thanks for your help tom!

sarhan

aburime1
09-11-2007, 04:46 AM
does this work for A E60

tom @ eas
09-11-2007, 09:37 AM
does this work for A E60

Only the previous version 5-series (e39), not the e60.

jglover
09-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Tom, will a dice work with an iphone? I have the dice in my 2000 528i and its running an 8 gig Nano. I was thinking of getting an iphone and then that will be th mp3 player in my car.

tom @ eas
09-11-2007, 11:53 AM
DICE works with the iPhone. :)

keeverjr
09-13-2007, 03:37 PM

tom @ eas
09-13-2007, 04:10 PM
PCB boards arrived a short while ago - we're in the assembly process now. As soon as we're ready - we'll make the announcement on the forums.

ufokillerz
09-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Hows it going tom? is the long wait finally over?

tom @ eas
09-21-2007, 09:49 AM
We'll be announcing them just before release in this thread as well as our website.

Vonhasch
10-09-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm going to get an Ipod 80 gig classic and was looking at the DICE-HD to interface with my 2004 X5 (non-DSP, non-Nav). My question pertains to the the aux port. I purchased the BMW aux input for my Garmin 2730. Does this aux input replace the BMW aux input or do I have to disable it. If I disable the BMW aux input do I have to run my input to the DICE-HD or is it extended by the Ipod cable? Do I need any additional cables to have my Ipod interface with the 2point5 spec.dock? Thanks for your input.

tom @ eas
10-09-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm going to get an Ipod 80 gig classic and was looking at the DICE-HD to interface with my 2004 X5 (non-DSP, non-Nav). My question pertains to the the aux port. I purchased the BMW aux input for my Garmin 2730. Does this aux input replace the BMW aux input or do I have to disable it. If I disable the BMW aux input do I have to run my input to the DICE-HD or is it extended by the Ipod cable? Do I need any additional cables to have my Ipod interface with the 2point5 spec.dock? Thanks for your input.

The AUX port in the DICE does not replace the BMW unit - you can use both. We don't recommend the spec docks for a number of reasons - the iPod is perfectly fine in the sunglass holder or glovebox.

Placing the iPod upright in a cradle in a moving car spells disaster on the dock connector after time. Also, this can be a flying projectile if you were involved in an accident.

Vonhasch
10-09-2007, 11:36 AM
I could understand the safety issue but the Ipod is nothing compared to the Garmin 2730. That thing is a brick hopefully it'll just go out the windshield. Back to the Aux input jack on the DICE-HD, from what I see I would have to run a cable from my Garmin 2730 back to the DICE-HD unit if I no longer wanted to use the BMW input jack, correct?

tom @ eas
10-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I could understand the safety issue but the Ipod is nothing compared to the Garmin 2730. That thing is a brick hopefully it'll just go out the windshield. Back to the Aux input jack on the DICE-HD, from what I see I would have to run a cable from my Garmin 2730 back to the DICE-HD unit if I no longer wanted to use the BMW input jack, correct?

Correct.

Vonhasch
10-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks!

TimeOut
10-25-2007, 11:12 AM
Tom,

tom @ eas
10-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Parts are here and we're making a couple of improvements before release - we should be ready to go shortly after SEMA.

lsplit
10-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Hi, Tom. Will the Dice work for my 1998 M3 sedan? Thanks.

tom @ eas
10-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi, Tom. Will the Dice work for my 1998 M3 sedan? Thanks.

You are compatible for the standard DICE, but not HD DICE since your radio is not capable of text display.

If you change to the CD43 radio, you will be compatible for HD DICE:

BMW - CD43 Business CD Upgrade
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_69_140_344&products_id=1562

fun2drive
10-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Tom:
To those that are planning to get a CD43 radio, just do it. I replaced my C33 last night as part of my path to getting HD with DICE and the CD43 is clearly superior to my old radio which functioned perfectly.
I am waiting too on the stealth ant for the HD and once I get to see those will be installing the HD Dice and ant.

Tom since I have upgraded to the CD43 I can connect the HD Dice to the back of my new radio can't I?

tom @ eas
10-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Tom:
To those that are planning to get a CD43 radio, just do it. I replaced my C33 last night as part of my path to getting HD with DICE and the CD43 is clearly superior to my old radio which functioned perfectly.
I am waiting too on the stealth ant for the HD and once I get to see those will be installing the HD Dice and ant.

Tom since I have upgraded to the CD43 I can connect the HD Dice to the back of my new radio can't I?

Yes you can, but we do not openly offer a radio interface HD DICE on the site. Just contact me when you are ready and we'll put together a kit for you.

whatheheck
10-31-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi Tom, I'm Dan.

I am a member of the M5board. I decided to join here so I can learn about the DICE HD Radio, learn the issues it is currently experiencing, and also get info on the latest & greatest fix for it.

Similar to most of the folks here, I am ready to try the HD Radio but I am concerned with the Antenna issue. So I am one of the additional guys here waiting patiently looking for solution to the antenna issue.

Kindly post updates as soon as it is available so I can jump on this upgrade.

Best regards,

Dan

tom @ eas
10-31-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi Tom, I'm Dan.

I am a member of the M5board. I decided to join here so I can learn about the DICE HD Radio, learn the issues it is currently experiencing, and also get info on the latest & greatest fix for it.

Similar to most of the folks here, I am ready to try the HD Radio but I am concerned with the Antenna issue. So I am one of the additional guys here waiting patiently looking for solution to the antenna issue.

Kindly post updates as soon as it is available so I can jump on this upgrade.

Best regards,

Dan

Absolutely - the antenna will be able to be added to existing systems when released, so you can install the HD DICE in the meantime to get a feel for the features.

mikesautosv
11-08-2007, 05:54 PM
OK ,dice is all installed ,got my aux for sirius stilleto ,Ipod integration works nice ,and sounds good ,will play with all this weekend and tweak it.worth every penny for the awsome sound for aux and ipod .HD radio antenna leaves a lot to be desired and reception doesnt seem that good maybe your different antenna will help?

tom @ eas
11-08-2007, 10:54 PM
OK ,dice is all installed ,got my aux for sirius stilleto ,Ipod integration works nice ,and sounds good ,will play with all this weekend and tweak it.worth every penny for the awsome sound for aux and ipod .HD radio antenna leaves a lot to be desired and reception doesnt seem that good maybe your different antenna will help?

Yes it will. We're working to get this released soon. :)

cali-ti
11-11-2007, 07:23 AM
oh god, i don't know if i can wait any longer! :)

is there going to be a price break when bundling the stealth HD antenna with the DICE HD kit?

tia,

eric

tom @ eas
11-12-2007, 01:20 PM
oh god, i don't know if i can wait any longer! :)

is there going to be a price break when bundling the stealth HD antenna with the DICE HD kit?

tia,

eric

Eric,

We should have a package deal when the new pieces are ready. :)

dfitler
11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
It's been a while since I put an update out about my experience with the DICE HD Radio. Now that I've had it in and working for a bit, I thought I'd pass along some things that I SHOULD have known, but for some reason, didn't get until after I had used it for a bit.

1. In an earlier post, I said that the dice does not switch between analog and HD. I was wrong about this, but I was also right! the Dice radio appears to have it's own built-in AM and FM receivers. When you are using the built-in car radio, the system will not switch to HD mode. In order to have the Dice radio switch between normal analog FM and the hybrid digital signal (you DID know that's what HD stood for, right???), you have to be listening to the Dice FM (on my BMW, that's option 5 on button 5), tune in a radio station, and if it's in HD and is within HD range, it will automatically switch to HD. Same thing with AM. Select button 5, and option 6, choose an AM station, and if it's available in HD, it will switch. So I was both right and wrong.

2. I FINALLY got the station memory to work and was able to save several stations. This is probably the least friendly part of the Dice, but I really don't see any other way for it to work, so maybe it's the best option. There are some things about the memory that I really don't like. While it's nice having so many memory locations, there is a bit of a problem. If I select a station on the AM side of the DICE, then later go to the FM side, and then turn the car off for a while, then go back, the station I chose on AM will be gone - I'll have to 're-find' it. The problem is that it doesn't go the the first memory location, or for that matter, any memory location. It always goes to the same station, but it's not in my memory list (it's a foriegn language station of some kind). To get to my station, I have to play with the memory positions until I finally get the one I want, which is not a lot of fun, since you have to push the little arrow buttons up or down to get to a memory location. For some reason, from this default position, you can scan down one location and get to the #2 memory location. Then if you scan up one position, you get to the #1 location. Not real intuitive.

3. I haven't had problems with the antenna that comes with the unit - reception has been quite good. The only issues I've had are that it is really awful looking, and installation is screwy - if yours is like mine, you'll find that the backing just falls off the sticky antenna, meaning that it gets all tangled up or falls on the carpet and gets 'fuzzy'. I got it put up SORTA straight, but the bottom inch or so kept peeling up. I got some clear packing tape and cut a small rectangle and taped it over the end that kept peeling. This also took some of the fear out of letting the carwash guys wash the windows inside since they won't accidentally hook that end and pull it loose. I'm REALLY looking forward to the new antenna, although I'm beginning to lose hope. I'm guessing it's being made in China so maybe it's got lead paint on it or something (heheh- sorry, Tom - just had to throw that in).

4. I really like the IPod adapter and it does seem to work pretty well. My biggest complaint is that when I turn off the radio or turn off the car, the IPod continues to play for a while - not exactly sure how long, but long enough that I get tired of waiting for it to stop. It would be nice to be able to leave the IPod in the glove box and have it pick up where it left off when I get in and start the car. One thing that I really miss and would love to have is a 'Pause' button. If I want to pause my ipod, I have to do it manually. Another annoyance is that if I am listening to an audio book, then get out and take the IPod with me and listen to it away from the car, then get back in and reconnect, it takes me back to where it was when I was last in the car. There probably isn't anything that can be done about this - I realize that it (the Dice) doesn't know that I'm listening to a book, and it assumes I want to go back to where I was, but ... it's one of those little things that is irritating.

5. A couple of installation things: If you have a 2001ish 330CI convertible (probably also applies to the 325 and maybe others, but not necessarily), you really have to be careful with the glove box. None of the instructions that I found mention that the glovebox door is connected to a wiring harness, and it's easy to damage those wires if you let the door dangle - you can't remove it all the way as I couldn't find a plug of any kind. I'm sure I missed it somewhere along the way. In fact, when I installed it the second time (defective unit the first - Tom and EAS did a terrific job getting me a new one right away), I found that I didn't even have to remove the swingout box part anyway. Once you remove the screws holding the glove box in, the entire assembly, door and all, will pop out. The wires are still there, but at least you don't have to try to figure out how to put it all back together without crimping one of them when you put the hinges back together!

6. Wish list: I wish it had an option to blend the aux channel over the other channels. In particular, it would be nice to be able to have the option to run GPS audio into the DICE and have it automatically reduce the volume of the other channels if it sees audio on the Aux channel, and then mix the two. Obviously, the mix option would need to be in addition to the normal aux mode since I wouldn't want to give up the option of hooking up another device on it's own. I guess my mental picture of this would be that if you were listening to any other audio channel (IPod, FMHD or AMHD), that it would sense an audio signal on the Aux channel and automatically either blank or reduce the volume of the main channel. If the Aux channel were selected, it would obviously only play the Aux audio. There are a couple of other things: faster display of the memory location when you select a memory. It would be nice if it would remember the last channels you selected on Am and FM.

So, the question is, "Would I buy this thing again knowing what I know now?". The answer is yes. It offers very nice sound quality and a nice, clean installation, and I do love having the IPod connection, although since I live in an area with lots of HD stations, I find I listen to them a lot. I do love the HD2 stations - mostly no commercials and lots of music. The one AM station I listen to here that has HD is incredible - AM is where you really see the sound improvement. It's literally like listening to FM on an AM station.

Hope this helps someone. I hinted at this, but EAS is really good to work with. I recommend them highly. And no, I don't work for them!

Doug

tom @ eas
11-13-2007, 09:43 PM
It's been a while since I put an update out about my experience with the DICE HD Radio. Now that I've had it in and working for a bit, I thought I'd pass along some things that I SHOULD have known, but for some reason, didn't get until after I had used it for a bit.

1. In an earlier post, I said that the dice does not switch between analog and HD. I was wrong about this, but I was also right! the Dice radio appears to have it's own built-in AM and FM receivers. When you are using the built-in car radio, the system will not switch to HD mode. In order to have the Dice radio switch between normal analog FM and the hybrid digital signal (you DID know that's what HD stood for, right???), you have to be listening to the Dice FM (on my BMW, that's option 5 on button 5), tune in a radio station, and if it's in HD and is within HD range, it will automatically switch to HD. Same thing with AM. Select button 5, and option 6, choose an AM station, and if it's available in HD, it will switch. So I was both right and wrong.

2. I FINALLY got the station memory to work and was able to save several stations. This is probably the least friendly part of the Dice, but I really don't see any other way for it to work, so maybe it's the best option. There are some things about the memory that I really don't like. While it's nice having so many memory locations, there is a bit of a problem. If I select a station on the AM side of the DICE, then later go to the FM side, and then turn the car off for a while, then go back, the station I chose on AM will be gone - I'll have to 're-find' it. The problem is that it doesn't go the the first memory location, or for that matter, any memory location. It always goes to the same station, but it's not in my memory list (it's a foriegn language station of some kind). To get to my station, I have to play with the memory positions until I finally get the one I want, which is not a lot of fun, since you have to push the little arrow buttons up or down to get to a memory location. For some reason, from this default position, you can scan down one location and get to the #2 memory location. Then if you scan up one position, you get to the #1 location. Not real intuitive.

3. I haven't had problems with the antenna that comes with the unit - reception has been quite good. The only issues I've had are that it is really awful looking, and installation is screwy - if yours is like mine, you'll find that the backing just falls off the sticky antenna, meaning that it gets all tangled up or falls on the carpet and gets 'fuzzy'. I got it put up SORTA straight, but the bottom inch or so kept peeling up. I got some clear packing tape and cut a small rectangle and taped it over the end that kept peeling. This also took some of the fear out of letting the carwash guys wash the windows inside since they won't accidentally hook that end and pull it loose. I'm REALLY looking forward to the new antenna, although I'm beginning to lose hope. I'm guessing it's being made in China so maybe it's got lead paint on it or something (heheh- sorry, Tom - just had to throw that in).

4. I really like the IPod adapter and it does seem to work pretty well. My biggest complaint is that when I turn off the radio or turn off the car, the IPod continues to play for a while - not exactly sure how long, but long enough that I get tired of waiting for it to stop. It would be nice to be able to leave the IPod in the glove box and have it pick up where it left off when I get in and start the car. One thing that I really miss and would love to have is a 'Pause' button. If I want to pause my ipod, I have to do it manually. Another annoyance is that if I am listening to an audio book, then get out and take the IPod with me and listen to it away from the car, then get back in and reconnect, it takes me back to where it was when I was last in the car. There probably isn't anything that can be done about this - I realize that it (the Dice) doesn't know that I'm listening to a book, and it assumes I want to go back to where I was, but ... it's one of those little things that is irritating.

5. A couple of installation things: If you have a 2001ish 330CI convertible (probably also applies to the 325 and maybe others, but not necessarily), you really have to be careful with the glove box. None of the instructions that I found mention that the glovebox door is connected to a wiring harness, and it's easy to damage those wires if you let the door dangle - you can't remove it all the way as I couldn't find a plug of any kind. I'm sure I missed it somewhere along the way. In fact, when I installed it the second time (defective unit the first - Tom and EAS did a terrific job getting me a new one right away), I found that I didn't even have to remove the swingout box part anyway. Once you remove the screws holding the glove box in, the entire assembly, door and all, will pop out. The wires are still there, but at least you don't have to try to figure out how to put it all back together without crimping one of them when you put the hinges back together!

6. Wish list: I wish it had an option to blend the aux channel over the other channels. In particular, it would be nice to be able to have the option to run GPS audio into the DICE and have it automatically reduce the volume of the other channels if it sees audio on the Aux channel, and then mix the two. Obviously, the mix option would need to be in addition to the normal aux mode since I wouldn't want to give up the option of hooking up another device on it's own. I guess my mental picture of this would be that if you were listening to any other audio channel (IPod, FMHD or AMHD), that it would sense an audio signal on the Aux channel and automatically either blank or reduce the volume of the main channel. If the Aux channel were selected, it would obviously only play the Aux audio. There are a couple of other things: faster display of the memory location when you select a memory. It would be nice if it would remember the last channels you selected on Am and FM.

So, the question is, "Would I buy this thing again knowing what I know now?". The answer is yes. It offers very nice sound quality and a nice, clean installation, and I do love having the IPod connection, although since I live in an area with lots of HD stations, I find I listen to them a lot. I do love the HD2 stations - mostly no commercials and lots of music. The one AM station I listen to here that has HD is incredible - AM is where you really see the sound improvement. It's literally like listening to FM on an AM station.

Hope this helps someone. I hinted at this, but EAS is really good to work with. I recommend them highly. And no, I don't work for them!

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for the well-detailed review - your thoughts are well taken and descriptive. I have an idea on your GPS audio you can use, give me a call or email me directly and we'll go over a solution.

Royce
11-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Tom
wanted to thank you a few days ago helping me understand the HD controls....I think I am getting the knack.....except haven't been able to have the title of the song show on my Harmon Kardon Business radio while they are playing on my ipod.....

tom @ eas
11-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi Tom
wanted to thank you a few days ago helping me understand the HD controls....I think I am getting the knack.....except haven't been able to have the title of the song show on my Harmon Kardon Business radio while they are playing on my ipod.....

Odd, disconnect the iPod and perform the following steps:

1. Press CD6
2. Press the << arrow to go to CD 6-99
3. Press CD1
4. Press CD6 again and route to CD 6-01
5. Press CD1 again, text should be set.

Feel free to give me a call while in the car if you should like one-on-one help. :thumbup:

Royce
11-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Followed your instructions....It worked

Thanks Tom

Len

tom @ eas
11-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Followed your instructions....It worked

Thanks Tom

Len

Awesome - let me know if you need anything else. :thumbup:

cali-ti
11-27-2007, 12:10 PM
will we have the stealth HD antenna for christmas? :)

tom @ eas
11-27-2007, 10:35 PM
will we have the stealth HD antenna for christmas? :)

We should - I have some units being put to the test tomorrow. :thumbup:

cali-ti
11-28-2007, 08:20 AM
tom, sent you email. hopefully email from gmail accounts doesn't go into the spam bin.

tom @ eas
11-28-2007, 02:08 PM
tom, sent you email. hopefully email from gmail accounts doesn't go into the spam bin.

Got your email, will be replying shortly. :thumbup:

tdawg183
11-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Tom, I posted this on the other forum but haven't heard a respons in a while now. I'm having a ton of trouble with my ipod staying firmly connected to the docking cord. It has now reached the point where I can not listen to my ipod using the HD DICE anymore without me keeping constant pressure on the connection. If I let it be I loose sound from the driver's speakers and have this annoying and repetitive clicking sound. The HD radio works fine with great sound but the iPod doesn't. Anything I can do about this?

tom @ eas
11-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Tom, I posted this on the other forum but haven't heard a respons in a while now. I'm having a ton of trouble with my ipod staying firmly connected to the docking cord. It has now reached the point where I can not listen to my ipod using the HD DICE anymore without me keeping constant pressure on the connection. If I let it be I loose sound from the driver's speakers and have this annoying and repetitive clicking sound. The HD radio works fine with great sound but the iPod doesn't. Anything I can do about this?

Is there any protective covering or case on the ipod that is interfering with the dock connector? Does this happen with another (different) iPod?

tom @ eas
12-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Tom,

Thanks
Mike

Our Stealth Antenna module for the High Definition Radio DICE allows you to receive HD broadcasts without the need for an external HD antenna on the windshield.

http://www.europeanautosource.com/images/stealthan_main.jpg (http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1566)

Easily installed in the trunk or behind your factory radio (depending on configuration), the Stealth Antenna module eliminates the unsightly external HD DICE antenna while offering a boost in antenna strength immediately after installation and 100% retain your OEM look and feel.

For added antenna strength, the existing HD DICE antenna can be retained with the Stealth Antenna kit for even stronger reception. Full instructions included with kit.

Here are images from our own MY02 e46 M3, with both HD1 & HD2 broadcasts inside our service building with full HD signal strength:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/images/vendors/eas/audio/sam/samdisplay01.jpg http://www.europeanautosource.com/images/vendors/eas/audio/sam/samdisplay02.jpg

HD DICE module must be located near radio tuner in order for the Stealth Antenna to connect properly with the supplied antenna leads. For Navigation-equipped vehicles (radio tuner is located in the trunk), we recommend using an iPod extension cable to allow the iPod to be placed in the cabin area of the vehicle where you choose.

Business CD-equipped BMWs and MINIs should not require an extension cable, but one can be used if a bit more length is desired.

Extension cable for DICE iPod Dock connector (6 feet)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?&products_id=878

Extension cable for DICE iPod Dock connector (10 feet)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=25&products_id=1139

Models Supported:
2001-2006 3-series, including M3 (not for e9X applications)
2001-2003 5-series, including M5
2004-2007 X3
2001-2006 X5
2001-2002 Z3, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2003-2007 Z4, including M-Roadster/Coupe
2002-2007 MINI Cooper, Cooper S (not for R56 applications)

http://www.europeanautosource.com/images/stealthan_main.jpg (http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1566)
eas - Stealth Antenna kit for DICE High Definition Radio
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1566

Installation is simple for the DIY type and should take no longer than 20 minutes. Requires DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration kit for full HD radio experience.

Units are shipping as of this afternoon. :thumbsup2:

whatheheck
12-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Finally! The new antenna is here!

Hi Tom, first, I want to apologize to you. I wanted to buy the HD DICE from you but I received it as a present and was purchased from another vendor. Sorry.

HD DICE is installed. Yes, stock antenna is weak so this new antenna should fix the poor reception.

Anyway, I would like to buy the antenna from you, but before I purchase, question please. I have an E39, 2001 M5. I installed my HD DICE in the trunk, my iPod is also installed in the trunk. How difficult would it be to install this new antenna? What else do I need to buy besides the antenna to improve reception?

Also, right now, I am experiencing problems with my iPod. After about 5 songs played, the HD DICE sends out a STOP command. Music stops playing and BMW on board display states STOP. No more music after that. Also, I lose next track control after about 3 songs. Is there a fix? Do I just need to do a system reset by disconnecting the battery leads?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

tom @ eas
12-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Finally! The new antenna is here!

Hi Tom, first, I want to apologize to you. I wanted to buy the HD DICE from you but I received it as a present and was purchased from another vendor. Sorry.

HD DICE is installed. Yes, stock antenna is weak so this new antenna should fix the poor reception.

Anyway, I would like to buy the antenna from you, but before I purchase, question please. I have an E39, 2001 M5. I installed my HD DICE in the trunk, my iPod is also installed in the trunk. How difficult would it be to install this new antenna? What else do I need to buy besides the antenna to improve reception?

Also, right now, I am experiencing problems with my iPod. After about 5 songs played, the HD DICE sends out a STOP command. Music stops playing and BMW on board display states STOP. No more music after that. Also, I lose next track control after about 3 songs. Is there a fix? Do I just need to do a system reset by disconnecting the battery leads?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

The Stealth Antenna kit would be all that's needed to rid of the antenna on the windshield. :D

As per your iPod question - can I get the iPod generation, size and firmware version from you?

whatheheck
12-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi Tom.

New Stealth Antenna: Thanks for the great info. I will now place my order for the new antenna.

iPod: I have the original iPod Video 60GB classic. Firmware ver: 1.2.3.
Again, issues I am experiencing. After about 5 songs played, HD DICE sends out a STOP command. STOP is shown on MID display, then iPod wont play anymore songs.

I reseat the iPod connection. After 5 songs, the same issue. Sometimes it will continue playing to the next song but I lose control of Next Track button. Pressing next track - nothing happens.

Also, today, the song title gets out of sync between what's playing and what actual song playing. Thanks for all the help and for the excellent service!

Dan

The Stealth Antenna kit would be all that's needed to rid of the antenna on the windshield. :D

As per your iPod question - can I get the iPod generation, size and firmware version from you?

tom @ eas
12-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi Tom.

New Stealth Antenna: Thanks for the great info. I will now place my order for the new antenna.

iPod: I have the original iPod Video 60GB classic. Firmware ver: 1.2.3.
Again, issues I am experiencing. After about 5 songs played, HD DICE sends out a STOP command. STOP is shown on MID display, then iPod wont play anymore songs.

I reseat the iPod connection. After 5 songs, the same issue. Sometimes it will continue playing to the next song but I lose control of Next Track button. Pressing next track - nothing happens.

Also, today, the song title gets out of sync between what's playing and what actual song playing. Thanks for all the help and for the excellent service!

Dan

Dan,

Let's try reinitializing the DICE kit, here are the steps:

3. Touch battery cable terminals together (away from battery) for +5 seconds, a small spark is normal as this is stored power draining from the system.
6. Reboot iPod by pressing on MENU and CENTER buttons for +5 seconds and then reconnecting to the DICE cable after the reboot process is completed.

Trazadone
12-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Tom,

I've been planning to buy the Dice iPod connector, but have been recently been reading about the HD model. I live about 150 miles south of Salt Lake City, and there are no HD stations around here. I'm still thinking about getting the HD, since you never know when more stations might start broadcasting in HD. However, I'm uncertain about which cables I might need.

I have a 2003 540i, with navigation and a CD changer, no DSP. I'd like to route the iPod wiring back to the center console area. The equipment I need would be:

DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration (BMW) ($199)
OPTIONAL iPod Docking Cable ($39)
Extension cable for DICE iPod Dock connector (6 feet) ($12)
OR
Extension cable for DICE iPod Dock connector (10 feet) ($18)
Stealth Antenna kit for DICE High Definition Radio ($49)

Are these all the parts I need to use my iPod in my car?
Why is the iPod Docking Cable Optional? Why would someone choose to not order this?

It appears that if I go all out, I'll be looking at $305 for full iPod capability and full HD capability (when and if it comes to my area.)

If you were me, would you go this way, or just buy the Dice for $145 (plus $18 for the Extension cable)? I'm still trying to convince myself that it's worth another $140 for future HD capability.

tom @ eas
12-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Tom,

I've been planning to buy the Dice iPod connector, but have been recently been reading about the HD model. I live about 150 miles south of Salt Lake City, and there are no HD stations around here. I'm still thinking about getting the HD, since you never know when more stations might start broadcasting in HD. However, I'm uncertain about which cables I might need.

I have a 2003 540i, with navigation and a CD changer, no DSP. I'd like to route the iPod wiring back to the center console area. The equipment I need would be:

DICE High Definition Radio w/ iPod Integration (BMW) ($199)
OPTIONAL iPod Docking Cable ($39)
Extension cable for DICE iPod Dock connector (6 feet) ($12)
OR
Extension cable for DICE iPod Dock connector (10 feet) ($18)
Stealth Antenna kit for DICE High Definition Radio ($49)

Are these all the parts I need to use my iPod in my car?
Why is the iPod Docking Cable Optional? Why would someone choose to not order this?

It appears that if I go all out, I'll be looking at $305 for full iPod capability and full HD capability (when and if it comes to my area.)

If you were me, would you go this way, or just buy the Dice for $145 (plus $18 for the Extension cable)? I'm still trying to convince myself that it's worth another $140 for future HD capability.

Since you have NAV, your radio tuner is located in the trunk - choice #2 is what you need.

The HD DICE is sold primarily as an HD tuner with iPod support, some non-iPod users would not have a need for the cable, but most people choose the optional upgrade. If you live in a location with HD broadcasts - get the HD DICE as you'll be much happier you did later. :thumbup:

whatheheck
12-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Hi Tom.

The stealth antenna arrived today. I installed it but I am not sure if I installed it correctly as the instructions included on the antenna on how the radio tuner looks like differs from what I have on my 2001 M5.

Please see attached photos. Did I hoook it up correctly? It is raining hard here in Seattle so I am unable to take my car out for a drive.

On the stealth antenna module: Red dot on the left, green dot on the right.
The top left cable I unplugged from the radio tuner so I assume this is the car antenna.
The bottom left cable is from the kit, I plugged this cable from the stealth antenna module to the radio tuner (I think this is the radio tuner?)

The top right cable is the DICE antenna module connector.
The bottom left cable is from the kit. I connected the other end to the HD DICE.

The signal appears to be stronger, but not sure inside my garage.

Also, when I move the antenna module around, I can hear the radio station cutting in and out. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

tom @ eas
12-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Hi Tom.

The stealth antenna arrived today. I installed it but I am not sure if I installed it correctly as the instructions included on the antenna on how the radio tuner looks like differs from what I have on my 2001 M5.

Please see attached photos. Did I hoook it up correctly? It is raining hard here in Seattle so I am unable to take my car out for a drive.

On the stealth antenna module: Red dot on the left, green dot on the right.
The top left cable I unplugged from the radio tuner so I assume this is the car antenna.
The bottom left cable is from the kit, I plugged this cable from the stealth antenna module to the radio tuner (I think this is the radio tuner?)

The top right cable is the DICE antenna module connector.
The bottom left cable is from the kit. I connected the other end to the HD DICE.

The signal appears to be stronger, but not sure inside my garage.

Also, when I move the antenna module around, I can hear the radio station cutting in and out. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

You have an old style antenna connector on your radio (other antenna cable), it will require upgrading to the 2nd generation model (with PlugPak) in order to be compatible.

Unfortunately, the Stealth Antenna module is not compatible with your specific setup, we are working on a version for earlier vehicles at this time.

Contact me by email and we'll make arrangements for returning the kit. If you would like, I can notify you as soon as we have a tester so you can be among the first to get up and running with the early design.

whatheheck
12-21-2007, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply Tom. As always, excellent customer service.

So the car antenna is actually the bigger connector.

Tom, I am willing to wait until you come out with your 2nd generation module that will work for my car (2001 E39 M5). But for now, is there an adapter cable available out there that I can use? Dont I only need an adapter cable that will connect from the car's bigger antenna connector to the stealth module's smaller connector?

If there is an adapter cable available or a connector adapter available - kindly let me know. Thanks!

And yes, I can be your first tester for your 2nd generation model. Thanks again Tom.

You have an old style antenna connector on your radio (other antenna cable), it will require upgrading to the 2nd generation model (with PlugPak) in order to be compatible.

Unfortunately, the Stealth Antenna module is not compatible with your specific setup, we are working on a version for earlier vehicles at this time.

Contact me by email and we'll make arrangements for returning the kit. If you would like, I can notify you as soon as we have a tester so you can be among the first to get up and running with the early design.

mikesautosv
12-21-2007, 05:23 AM
I was gonna order my antenna today but I see it wont fit an 01 740i w/nav ? I didnt see my car listed. Do you sell just the tape with wire for the hd antenna ? I am thinking about moving mine to rear window (tired of hearing wife bitch about it !!!):cry:

tom @ eas
12-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the prompt reply Tom. As always, excellent customer service.

So the car antenna is actually the bigger connector.

Tom, I am willing to wait until you come out with your 2nd generation module that will work for my car (2001 E39 M5). But for now, is there an adapter cable available out there that I can use? Dont I only need an adapter cable that will connect from the car's bigger antenna connector to the stealth module's smaller connector?

If there is an adapter cable available or a connector adapter available - kindly let me know. Thanks!

And yes, I can be your first tester for your 2nd generation model. Thanks again Tom.

I was able work with an MY01 7-series for a short amount of time shortly after the modules were released - to be honest, we only have about a couple of hours with the vehicle - not enough to get the data we needed.

If there is someone in the orange County area that would like to bring by their BMW with an early system for about a day, we can verify a couple of ideas we already have in place.

tom @ eas
12-21-2007, 09:00 AM
I was gonna order my antenna today but I see it wont fit an 01 740i w/nav ? I didnt see my car listed. Do you sell just the tape with wire for the hd antenna ? I am thinking about moving mine to rear window (tired of hearing wife bitch about it !!!):cry:

I have replacement element strips in stock, give me a call directly and I'll get you set up.

tom @ eas
12-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Sorry if this question was in the thread, I've had a look through and did not see quite where it was addressed:

Car is a 2003 E46 non-nav, build date 7/03.

I'd like to order the DICE HD radio w/ Ipod Integration:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=467

1) Do I need an external antenna for the HD radio or is that included in the kit?
2) Does the HD antenna mount internal to the trunk, or external i.e. magnetic clamp on?
3) An optional Ipod Docking cable ($39) is listed, why would this be required? Does the unit not come with a cable to the ipod? If I already have an Ipod to USB cable (for my computer) do I need this cable?

Thanks!

- A HD-specific antenna is included with the HD DICE kit, most people are switching over to the new Stealth antennas we just released.

Stealth Antenna kit for DICE High Definition Radio
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1566

- the HD DICE antenna is help on with adhesive and glass mounted. It will need to be mounted on a non-tinted surface with a clear view of the sky.

- The HD DICE is sold as an HD receiver with iPod support, the iPod cable is required if you would like to integrate your iPod with the system. Your current iPod cable will not work since this uses a propritery connector.

Let me know if you have any further questions. :thumbup:

cali-ti
12-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Tom,

It appears I may need the antenna adapter here to fit the stealth antenna kit to my car (1996 318ti): http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_69_140_143&products_id=292
http://lh3.google.com/emasshardt/R3f-YcIy_zI/AAAAAAAABYc/X7vEPtbZKFQ/s800/antenna_adapter.jpg

see pics below. I tried connecting the stock antenna lead into the stealth antenna (per instructions) and it appears to have pushed the pin and inner white shield back approx 2-3mm from the end. will this cause issues? if so, how can i correct it?

stock 1996 318ti antenna lead
http://lh4.google.com/emasshardt/R3f54sIy_vI/AAAAAAAABX4/XxOPJb38I5Y/s800/318TI-Stock-Antenna-Lead.jpg

where i insert the stock 1996 318ti antenna lead on the CD43
http://lh5.google.com/emasshardt/R3f548Iy_wI/AAAAAAAABYA/97Ur38P_SnY/s800/CD43-Stock-Antenna-Connection.jpg

is this where i should be connecting the stealth HD antenna connector on the CD43?
http://lh3.google.com/emasshardt/R3f55cIy_xI/AAAAAAAABYI/rk5wT83OPnM/s800/CD43-Alternate-Antenna-Connection.jpg

stealth antenna connector pushed back?
http://lh5.google.com/emasshardt/R3f558Iy_yI/AAAAAAAABYQ/_IKDe_Dv5a4/s800/Stealth-HD-Antenna-Connections-Pushed-In.jpg

also, i'm doing a write-up for 318ti.org on the install in the ti which i'd welcome you guys to reference on your site for anyone else who has a ti/compact that might be doing this install. i think i found a perfect spot on the ti for the HD radio itself. you can see the pics i've taken so far in my install album on google picasa: http://picasaweb.google.com/emasshardt/318tiHDRadioInstall

tom @ eas
12-31-2007, 09:56 AM
You've got the older antenna system, we haven't had a chance to test on the older systems as of yet. As soon as I can get an older system in our facility, we'll verify this is compatible.

Otherwise, if you would like to try the adapter you have - this should work, but you will no longer have an antenna connection to your OEM radio, which shouldn't be a problem since we're moving to HD anyway.

cali-ti
12-31-2007, 04:56 PM
well, i don't have the adapter, i'd have to order one.

from what i recall of the directions (don't have them in front of me), i thought the stock antenna lead plugged into the stealth antenna module and then a connection went from the stealth module back to the radio. can i not use the small round antenna connector on the CD43 (instead of the larger old style connection)?

what type of connector is on that adapter? the pic on your website that i included above is blurry so i can't tell what exactly it looks like. is it the same type of connector used in your stealth kit? is it male (like the stealth module connectors) or female (like the stealth kit cable ends)?

also, thought on what to do about the connector on the stealth module that's now pushed in?

whatheheck
01-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Hi Tom.

Just to give you an update. The instructions you provided below worked! My iPod now works properly with my new HD Dice. Thank you.

How about the Stealth Antenna? Do you now have an adapter cable for me to make the stealth antenna connect properly with my old style antenna connector? Or do you have a new Stealth Antenna module that the antenna connectors are compatible with my 2001 M5?

Kindly let me know as soon as one is available.

Many thanks again and Happy New Year!

Dan

Dan,

Let's try reinitializing the DICE kit, here are the steps:

tom @ eas
01-01-2008, 10:08 PM
well, i don't have the adapter, i'd have to order one.

from what i recall of the directions (don't have them in front of me), i thought the stock antenna lead plugged into the stealth antenna module and then a connection went from the stealth module back to the radio. can i not use the small round antenna connector on the CD43 (instead of the larger old style connection)?

what type of connector is on that adapter? the pic on your website that i included above is blurry so i can't tell what exactly it looks like. is it the same type of connector used in your stealth kit? is it male (like the stealth module connectors) or female (like the stealth kit cable ends)?

also, thought on what to do about the connector on the stealth module that's now pushed in?

The pictures above are for an old style antenna system, which is currently not supported. This adapter will not work with the CD43 systems at the moment, we are looking into this further.

wolrah
01-02-2008, 08:04 PM
What is the ETA on these things coming back in stock? I ordered one last Friday hoping to have it by this upcoming weekend, but either your site doesn't mention backorders or I didn't notice it until I went to check on the order status today.

I just can't wait to have some iPod goodness running in my car.

Brown-Ham
01-03-2008, 12:55 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I received my stealth antenna today and hooked it up. The improvement in HD reception is remarkable for me.

My only install issue was that the factory antenna plug does not snap onto the stealth unit like I would have hoped and seemed like it would fall off as soon as I pushed it into the radio housing. To remedy this, I used about 6 miles of electrical tape. That sucker will never come off. :-)

I left the Dice antenna on the window seeing as how it was already there and ran the wire up to the stealth unit behind the stereo.

All in all, I am very happy with it and just wanted to let everyone on here know as this is where I first found out about it.

Brian
'05 325ci Convertible

tom @ eas
01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
What is the ETA on these things coming back in stock? I ordered one last Friday hoping to have it by this upcoming weekend, but either your site doesn't mention backorders or I didn't notice it until I went to check on the order status today.

I just can't wait to have some iPod goodness running in my car.

Are you referring to the HD DICE kit or the Stealth Antenna module?

wolrah
01-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Are you referring to the HD DICE kit or the Stealth Antenna module?

Sorry, HD DICE.

tom @ eas
01-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Sorry, HD DICE.

HD DICE is on backorder for about a couple of weeks due to a processor shortage, but we'll be back online in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, we're accepting preorders and keeping a waiting list.

dfitler
01-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Just to let you all know - I have the older style radio in my 2001 330Ci Convertible and ordered the stealth antenna before it became known that there was a compatibility problem with some radios. After my initial disappointment, I decided that since the stealth kit was only about $50, and that it would likely be a while before a 'fix' were released (an assumption on my part - I hope I'm wrong!), that I would try to 'adapt' the cables.

(NOTE: I'm not suggesting that others do this - but in case you're wondering if it will work, it does).

It was fairly easy once I found the correct connectors for the existing radio antenna connection (turns out it's basically a VW/Audi/Euro antenna connector). I tracked down some adapters that I could cut apart at an ABC Wearhouse and bought them for about $16.00 total. I decided to take the chance and I cut one of the Stealth antenna cables into two pieces and soldered the adapters that I bought to the ends, closed it up with some heat shrink tubing and put it in place - it worked like a charm! I now have the stealth antenna working with the old style radio and both the original radio and the DICE work just fine. If you are interested in more details about the connectors and such, let me know and I'll post more info (I'm sure Tom is cringing about now - Sorry - I am such an impatient person!!!).

By the way, I did a little looking around and found that you can buy an antenna adapter for Sirius systems that may just be the ticket:

http://www.satelliteradioexperts.com/VW-Audi-European-FM-Antenna-Adapter-Cable-Kit_p_25-182.html

While the picture doesn't look right, the text seems to indicate that it is. I haven't called them, but you might consider checking with them to see if these adapters have the VW/Audi/Euro connector on one end. The picture looks like an American antenna connector - I'm hoping that that is just an error. For $20 for both cables, it seems like a pretty good deal.

A couple of things that I noticed along the way:
1) - the connectors used by the Stealth antenna module (and therefore the newer BMW radios) is actually the same or very nearly the same as the one used by Sirius radios. I'm pretty certain this is called and SMB connector but would like someone else to confirm that. I was unable to just walk into a store and buy these connectors, although if you have a good electronics store near you (not Radio Shack), you might have more luck than I did. Ideally, you could make your own adapter cable much like that one shown in the post by Cali-Ti and sold by EAS, but you'll need two different ones. Both would have a male small connector on one end and on the other end, one of them would have a female large connector and the other would have a male large connector. This would allow you to adapt the Stealth antenna to your older style radio and allow both the original radio and the DICE to work. As Tom pointed out, if you only use the adapter EAS has, you'll only have the DICE radio, since this would only adapt the antenna cable to the Stealth Antenna module and not the module to the back of the radio.

2) I find that FM is every bit as good or better than it was with the original non-stealth antenna. AM, however is not as strong. Unless I use both antennas, my AM reception is not as good. I opted to just use the original car AM if the signal strength isn't good enough on AM so I wouldn't have to have the non-stealth DICE antenna any more. Most of the stations I listen to on AM don't broadcast in HD yet anyway. The installation document seems to indicate that AM should be slightly improved, but my experience doesn't bear this out. I'd be interested to hear from other folks about any improvement or reduction in AM signal strength. It's possible that it's got to do with my 'modifications', as the two cable types (the one sent with the Stealth Antenna and the one with the antenna adapter) are not identical physically. they appear to be the same impedance, so electrically, all should be at least close to well, but...

Basically, once I modified the cables, this was an easy install (other than the need to remove the danged glove compartment again!!!). The cable modification isn't for everyone and I'm sure that waiting for the correct parts to actually be available would be preferable, but if you can't wait, you can make it work with a little extra effort.

cali-ti
01-05-2008, 09:15 PM
from what i found on other sites selling antenna adapters, these newer small style connectors are made by hirshmann (german company). i would also like to confirm what type of connector they are for sure.

i'd also like to know if the hirschmann connector on the CD43 can be used or not :) if so, one would only need one adapter (stock antenna adapted to stealth antenna module).

whatheheck
01-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Excellent job dfitler!

Similar to you, I have the old style antenna connector on my 2001 E39 M5. I thought of the same thing, that if I can find the right old style antenna connectors - I can possibly cut one of the Stealth antenna cable in half and solder the old style connectors on each end and it should work. This would be a good interim fix until EAS comes out with the correct adapter cables.

Well, I tried for hours looking for the correct old style male and female antenna connectors in the internet and finally gave up as I didnt know what they are called.

Thanks to your excellent research, I think what you said would work.

I am very interested. Would you be so kind and provide info on where I can buy the old style BMW male and female connectors? Can you post some pictures of the adapter cables you built? Or provide info on where I can find adapter cables that would work with the Stealth Antenna module and BMW old style antenna connectors?

Thanks in advance. Again, great job!

To Tom, this should work right? No impedance problems between the two types of antenna connectors?

Just to let you all know - I have the older style radio in my 2001 330Ci Convertible and ordered the stealth antenna before it became known that there was a compatibility problem with some radios. After my initial disappointment, I decided that since the stealth kit was only about $50, and that it would likely be a while before a 'fix' were released (an assumption on my part - I hope I'm wrong!), that I would try to 'adapt' the cables.

(NOTE: I'm not suggesting that others do this - but in case you're wondering if it will work, it does).

It was fairly easy once I found the correct connectors for the existing radio antenna connection (turns out it's basically a VW/Audi/Euro antenna connector). I tracked down some adapters that I could cut apart at an ABC Wearhouse and bought them for about $16.00 total. I decided to take the chance and I cut one of the Stealth antenna cables into two pieces and soldered the adapters that I bought to the ends, closed it up with some heat shrink tubing and put it in place - it worked like a charm! I now have the stealth antenna working with the old style radio and both the original radio and the DICE work just fine. If you are interested in more details about the connectors and such, let me know and I'll post more info (I'm sure Tom is cringing about now - Sorry - I am such an impatient person!!!).

By the way, I did a little looking around and found that you can buy an antenna adapter for Sirius systems that may just be the ticket:

http://www.satelliteradioexperts.com/VW-Audi-European-FM-Antenna-Adapter-Cable-Kit_p_25-182.html

While the picture doesn't look right, the text seems to indicate that it is. I haven't called them, but you might consider checking with them to see if these adapters have the VW/Audi/Euro connector on one end. The picture looks like an American antenna connector - I'm hoping that that is just an error. For $20 for both cables, it seems like a pretty good deal.

A couple of things that I noticed along the way:
1) - the connectors used by the Stealth antenna module (and therefore the newer BMW radios) is actually the same or very nearly the same as the one used by Sirius radios. I'm pretty certain this is called and SMB connector but would like someone else to confirm that. I was unable to just walk into a store and buy these connectors, although if you have a good electronics store near you (not Radio Shack), you might have more luck than I did. Ideally, you could make your own adapter cable much like that one shown in the post by Cali-Ti and sold by EAS, but you'll need two different ones. Both would have a male small connector on one end and on the other end, one of them would have a female large connector and the other would have a male large connector. This would allow you to adapt the Stealth antenna to your older style radio and allow both the original radio and the DICE to work. As Tom pointed out, if you only use the adapter EAS has, you'll only have the DICE radio, since this would only adapt the antenna cable to the Stealth Antenna module and not the module to the back of the radio.

2) I find that FM is every bit as good or better than it was with the original non-stealth antenna. AM, however is not as strong. Unless I use both antennas, my AM reception is not as good. I opted to just use the original car AM if the signal strength isn't good enough on AM so I wouldn't have to have the non-stealth DICE antenna any more. Most of the stations I listen to on AM don't broadcast in HD yet anyway. The installation document seems to indicate that AM should be slightly improved, but my experience doesn't bear this out. I'd be interested to hear from other folks about any improvement or reduction in AM signal strength. It's possible that it's got to do with my 'modifications', as the two cable types (the one sent with the Stealth Antenna and the one with the antenna adapter) are not identical physically. they appear to be the same impedance, so electrically, all should be at least close to well, but...

Basically, once I modified the cables, this was an easy install (other than the need to remove the danged glove compartment again!!!). The cable modification isn't for everyone and I'm sure that waiting for the correct parts to actually be available would be preferable, but if you can't wait, you can make it work with a little extra effort.

RichardP
01-06-2008, 12:30 AM
The small connectors are SMB, BMW use them for several things, TV aerials, GPS aerials etc. The one that goes on the radio has a small plastic surround that clips in to the radio which makes it look slightly different, but this can be easily removed.

dfitler
01-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Excellent job dfitler!

Similar to you, I have the old style antenna connector on my 2001 E39 M5. I thought of the same thing, that if I can find the right old style antenna connectors - I can possibly cut one of the Stealth antenna cable in half and solder the old style connectors on each end and it should work. This would be a good interim fix until EAS comes out with the correct adapter cables.

Well, I tried for hours looking for the correct old style male and female antenna connectors in the internet and finally gave up as I didnt know what they are called.

Thanks to your excellent research, I think what you said would work.

I am very interested. Would you be so kind and provide info on where I can buy the old style BMW male and female connectors? Can you post some pictures of the adapter cables you built? Or provide info on where I can find adapter cables that would work with the Stealth Antenna module and BMW old style antenna connectors?

Thanks in advance. Again, great job!

To Tom, this should work right? No impedance problems between the two types of antenna connectors?

The connectors I used are by a company called Crankin' Power. I bought them over the counter at an ABC Warehouse (they do car stereo installations and such). I needed two of them, one male and one female. If you don't have an ABC Warehouse near you, check with any of the car stereo installation places that specializes in the high power car stereos and such. What you're looking for I think is called a VW, Audi or Euro factory radio to aftermarket antenna adapter. At ABC Warehouse, the part numbers you'd want are AS-2654 (their internal part number is 29071 - this gives you the old style female end) and AS-2653 (their internal part number is 29072 - this gives you the old style male end). I haven't looked around much to see who else might have these things, and unfortunately, you can't just buy the connectors - you have to buy the adapter cables, and cut them up to use, meaning you have to join two pieces of cable together instead of just attaching the connectors to the ends of the Stealth Antenna cable.

I looked around the web a little, and found these links that MAY just be the same type of thing as what I bought - they problem is that it seems like it's difficult to find the 'sex' of the cable in some cases, but maybe this will get you on the right track:

I am pretty certain that this is basically what I bought, and it has both the male and female connectors:

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=40-VW30

Certainly, the top picture looks exactly like the cable that I got from ABC Warehouse with the male end on it.

These are Metra cables and when I put the part number into Google, I got this link as well:

http://www.audiooutfitter.com/40vw30/metra/p69766.html

While it shows just one cable, it says that it converts both ways - I'm pretty certain that this part number has both cables. The reason I'm including this second link is that it's $7.00 cheaper than the first one, so that will pay for the shipping!!!

One more link:
http://www.dogstarradios.com/volkswagon-audi-fm-antenna-adaptor.html

I'm including this last one because it actually has more information about compatibility and sure enough, we see that it's compatible with:

BMW

3 Series 1990-2001
323 1997-2001
328 1997-2001
5 Series 1990-2001
7 Series 1990-2001

The text also says that it contains both adaptors even though, again, it only shows one in the picture.

I haven't been able to find just the connector itself - if anyone else out there knows what the type is for the connector itself, it would be much better to buy just the connector rather than splicing two pieces of cable together.

I'm going to digress for a few sentences, if you don't mind... You know, if you can get the above adapters with long enough and slim enough cable, you may be able to buy SMB connectors (male) to go on the ends of the adapter cables. That way you would just not use one of the cables that came with the Stealth Antenna kit. This would be preferred since it would not require a splice. The problem I see with this is that the old radio antenna adapters all come with what appears to be RG-58 cable on them (at least, the ones I bought and the ones I could find online). In order to use an SMB connector with these adapters, you would need an SMB connector that would connect to cable that is about the size of RG-58 coax (about 5 mm or .195 inches outside diameter). The problem is that SMB connectors are really designed for RG-196 (this is what's in the Stealth Antenna kit) which is only around 2.2 mm. I wasn't able to find any SMB connector that would work with an RG-58 sized cable. Therefore, we really need a source for the Euro male and female connectors that are on our old radios so they can be put on the RG-196 cable that is used with the SMB connectors. I can't figure out the designation for these connectors, unfortunately.

Anyway, basically, these adapters have the old style connector on one end and the motorola style connector on the other (what most American style radios use). You cut the Motorola style connector off, cut the Stealth Antenna cable into two equal length pieces, carefully strip back a bit of the insulation (be careful on the Stealth Antenna cable - the wire on this one is very thin and you can wind up slicing through the wire itself), solder the center conductors together and the sheild together, check it with an ohmmeter to make sure you don't have a short between the center conductor and the shield and that you have end-to-end connectivity, and slip some heat-shrink tubing in place and shrink it down with a hot air gun. If you don't understand some of what I just said, you probably should find someone who does to do the work.

It's not difficult, but you do want to make sure that you keep the stripped back section as short as possible (to reduce the unsheilded portion as much as possible), and you want to make sure that the center conductor can't short against the shield.

You mentioned impedance. I wouldn't imagine that when BMW changed to the SMB connector that they changed antenna impedance. I would think that if there were a serious impedance mismatch that I'd see more problems with reception. Certainly the cable types are different but I would bet a couple of bucks that they are the same impedance (RG-58 and RG-196 are both 50 ohm cable).

I've driven around a bit, changed channels and listened to dead spots on the radio dial and haven't picked up any noise on the system from the other car electronics, so I can say at least in my case that this has been pretty successful.

If I get some time later today, I'll pull the radio out and take some pictures of the cables and post them (ack!). As long as I don't have to pull the glove compartment, I won't snivel too much!

cali-ti
01-06-2008, 07:54 AM
why doesn't anyone selling these adapters know how to take a picture! they show the sides of the connectors so you can't even tell if they're male or female, that's helpful!

again, from what i've seen on antenna adapter sites, the "old style" connector our antennas have is an ISO connection. i don't know the official designation however.

i appreciate your time and effort on this dfilter. i'm likely going to wait to see what EAS comes out with as i'm hoping i'll be able to exchange even up. if i get impatient, i may just do what you did.

looking forward to your pics!

dfitler
01-06-2008, 09:13 AM
why doesn't anyone selling these adapters know how to take a picture! they show the sides of the connectors so you can't even tell if they're male or female, that's helpful!

again, from what i've seen on antenna adapter sites, the "old style" connector our antennas have is an ISO connection. i don't know the official designation however.

i appreciate your time and effort on this dfilter. i'm likely going to wait to see what EAS comes out with as i'm hoping i'll be able to exchange even up. if i get impatient, i may just do what you did.

looking forward to your pics!

One quick comment for what it's worth...

I found that on the adapter cables I bought that if you bought the adapter with a male motorola on one end and the other cable with the female Motorola on one end that you then had one of each of the Euro antenna connectors.

I'm with you, though - they really SHOULD include a picture of the end of the cable!!! By the way, when I went to the car stereo installation place to look for cables, I printed out your great pictures of the connector on the CD-43 and the one of the end of the antenna cable so I could show the guys what I was looking for. Those did the trick very well! Thanks! :thumbup:

tom @ eas
01-06-2008, 02:52 PM
We were able to recreate the same results in the past but in disabled the antenna on the OEM radio. This isn't really an issue if you plan to be long term with the HD DICE, but I would rather not disable OEM features in order to implement others.

There's another issue to be explored on the earlier models, there is a difference in the antenna amplifier with no long term testing to verify if this is safe on the older models, which we're currently in development at the moment. We want to have these avaialble for all models keeping overall costs down and most of all - safely. The HD DICE has a specific amount of voltage running through the antenna system that is needed (intended) for the external HD DICE antenna and this cannot be running through your system - a primary need for the module. This was tested for over 5+ months in our own vehicles in order to verify no long-term problems would be present, rather than rushing to market.

I would prefer waiting a bit for our testing to be completed and giving the green light before hacking up connectors and having a potentially unsafe system. The past experience gained from R&D of the current module should make this much quicker to release.

Overall, thanks to all who have expressed significant interest in the product, we're glad we can continue to provide future innovative devices for your BMW.

dfitler
01-07-2008, 05:23 PM
There's another issue to be explored on the earlier models, there is a difference in the antenna amplifier with no long term testing to verify if this is safe on the older models, which we're currently in development at the moment. We want to have these avaialble for all models keeping overall costs down and most of all - safely. The HD DICE has a specific amount of voltage running through the antenna system that is needed (intended) for the external HD DICE antenna and this cannot be running through your system - a primary need for the module. This was tested for over 5+ months in our own vehicles in order to verify no long-term problems would be present, rather than rushing to market.

Tom,

I couldn't agree more with you. Just a couple of things...

- Just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding from anyone, my splicing modification does NOT eliminate the module. It simply modifies the red dot end cables to match the older radio.

- I would guess that the red dot ends of the Stealth Antenna adapter module are almost exactly electrically the same - in other words, from the perspective of the antenna and OEM radio, it's as though there is no module installed at all (the same thing applies to the green dot end - the two connectors there are electrically identical so you can connect the existing non-stealth antenna to the module and the voltage that is required for that antenna would be fed through to it). The isolation occurs between the red dot end and the green dot end of the module. Unless the module is feeding some additional voltage between the two ends, there should be no issue with the older radio. The only possible issue I can see is if the older radio has a different impedence than the newer one.

All of this said, I am on your side that the best option will be whatever you guys come up with, and I will buy whatever you release and replace my 'mods'. I imagine that it will work far better and likely give me better reception than I already have. To be fair, I do worry a bit about the longivity of the antenna amp with my work-around since there is the possibility of a design difference that could impact long-term operation, so anyone who does this change should keep in mind that I consider it short-term!

Here are the promised pictures of the modified cables. These are ONLY attached on the Red Dot end of the adapter between the radio and the built in BMW antenna! Do NOT put either of these on the Green Dot end!!! The top cable connects between the back of the radio and one of the red dot end connectors, and the bottom one is connected between the car antenna and the other red dot connector:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132051&stc=1&d=1199754660
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=132052&stc=1&d=1199754703

whatheheck
01-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Excellent photos. That's exactly what I need to connect the HD Dice to my old style OEM antenna. Thanks Dfitler!

For now, I will wait for Tom's updates.

undfined
01-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Dunno if anyone has posted about this, but I had a serious alternator whine issue with my DICE HD/iPod. It was unusable so I had put it in the garage for about a year.

I pulled it out yesterday and tried installing it again, following all the instructions I could find. Still had the whine. I had gotten a Ground Loop Isolator as well, which didn't help.

So I did some amateur troubleshooting on each wire and noticed when I had the unit on the aux source with the volume cranked the whine decreased significantly when I disconnected the antenna. A ha.

I disconnected the grounding wire from the sun visor screw and tucked it away.

Since I had the antenna grounded to the chassis, and the DICE grounded there as well at the back of the car, there was a loop that caused the whine.

Not anymore. :D

tom @ eas
01-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Dunno if anyone has posted about this, but I had a serious alternator whine issue with my DICE HD/iPod. It was unusable so I had put it in the garage for about a year.

I pulled it out yesterday and tried installing it again, following all the instructions I could find. Still had the whine. I had gotten a Ground Loop Isolator as well, which didn't help.

So I did some amateur troubleshooting on each wire and noticed when I had the unit on the aux source with the volume cranked the whine decreased significantly when I disconnected the antenna. A ha.

Since I had the antenna grounded to the chassis, and the DICE grounded there as well at the back of the car, there was a loop that caused the whine.

Interesting - do you still have reception with the Ground Strap removed?

undfined
01-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Interesting - do you still have reception with the Ground Strap removed?

Yes - HD channels come in fine. There doesn't appear to be any difference whether I attach the strap or not. I've been driving around all day going back and forth - strap attached for 15 mins. Stop. Disconnect strap for 10 mins. Stop. Repeat. Etc.

The unit does appear to have some other personality issues that seem unrelated - but I'll email you about those.

tom @ eas
01-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Yes - HD channels come in fine. There doesn't appear to be any difference whether I attach the strap or not. I've been driving around all day going back and forth - strap attached for 15 mins. Stop. Disconnect strap for 10 mins. Stop. Repeat. Etc.

The unit does appear to have some other personality issues that seem unrelated - but I'll email you about those.

Was the email sent?

mikesautosv
01-09-2008, 05:14 PM
My 01 740 has the same whine on aux also ,I am gonna try the grd wire trick ,Also I got a new 80g classic for xmas and it doesnt seem to work with the dice? any ideas?

tom @ eas
01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
My 01 740 has the same whine on aux also ,I am gonna try the grd wire trick ,Also I got a new 80g classic for xmas and it doesnt seem to work with the dice? any ideas?

The touch, new Classic and 3rd Generation nano lock the iPod's Clickwheel when attached to 3rd party devices, this is an iPod-specific issue - not the DICE.

Earlier iPods do not experience this issue. All DICE-specific features are still available. If Clickwheel operation is desired, you can set the DICE module's DIP switches to Simple iPod mode to gain access of the Clickwheel, but will lose text display on the radio when doing so.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

cali-ti
01-09-2008, 06:07 PM
does that happen with the iPhone too? although by the time i go to get an iPhone, it probably will be another gen or two from now.

tom @ eas
01-09-2008, 06:21 PM
does that happen with the iPhone too? although by the time i go to get an iPhone, it probably will be another gen or two from now.

iPhone and touch can be worked around with a slight tweak. If you want to browse the iPod commands of the iPhone while connected, perform the following steps:

1. Connect iPhone
2. When iPhone asks to go into accessory mode, press NO or wait for several seconds
3. Press the HOME button for +7 seconds
4. Navigate through phone like normal.

One caveat, you will not have proper text display or steering wheel/radio control in this mode. To return to normal, disconnect/reconnect the iPod.

cali-ti
01-12-2008, 08:09 AM
how's the testing coming on the kit for us poor saps with the older ISO style stock antenna connectors? :)

whatheheck
01-13-2008, 12:49 AM
+ 1.

Waiting........:cry:

how's the testing coming on the kit for us poor saps with the older ISO style stock antenna connectors? :)

wolrah
01-13-2008, 07:48 PM

I'm interested by this, but I have not yet installed the HD antenna and still have a bad whine on the aux in and a very slight one on the iPod. I also notice a staticy "click" type noise whenever the display updates. When text display is on that means every second or so.

The iPod whine and clicks are all but impossible to notice when listening to music, but I listen to a lot of talk podcasts so the clicks are very irritating after a time. I ended up switching to "disc 5" just to stop it at about hour 3 of the 9 hour drive I did today. I didn't even use my Sirius radio because the whine on that was so bad.

I can't imagine it has anything to do with my install, I followed the BSW videos exactly with the exception of placement (in the glove box temporarily, as the DICE HD doesn't fit in the spot the regular DICE in the videos does).

I'm going to try hooking up the antenna both with and without the ground when it warms up again, we'll see.

tom @ eas
01-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Keep me posted to your findings, we're here to help if needed.

dfitler
01-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Thought I'd throw out something I've worked out on my DICE. This has really enhanced my enjoyment of the DICE HD radio. I tend to really only listen to two stations: one on FM and one on AM.

One of the problems I've mentioned before about the DICE unit when using the radio is that if you have a favorite station, say, on FM that you listen to most of the time (although this is true for either AM or FM), and you switch over to AM then shut the car off for a while, when you turn the car back on, if you then switch back to FM, the station you were on is gone. I've found that if you select '4' (preset button), and then hit the Right > key and then the Left < key you'll be back on your favorite station. Any other combination will kick you to the wrong place. I'm pretty sure that this ONLY works if you've got the station stored as a favorite. So as an example:

1. I select DICE memory location 11 as my FM station to listen to 99.5 FM
2. I then switch to DICE AM memory location 1 to listen to 1400 AM
3. I shut the car off and go do something for a while
4. When I get back into the car, I am still on DICE AM memory location 1
5. I decide to switch back to FM to my original DICE FM station
6. After selecting 5-5, the FM is now on a completely different station, or on no station at all
7. I then press 4 to get to the preset selection section
8. To get to my station I press > and then < (I think you can do the same thing on the steering while station keys by pressing Up and then Down). Now I'm back on 99.5, DICE memory location 11.

This seems to work no matter if I start on AM or FM, regardless of what memory location the station is on.

Hope this helps some of you.

By the way, just to let you all know, the modification to use the stealth antenna with my old-style radio that I posted before is working great. No problems at all so far!

whatheheck
01-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info Dfitler and for the update that the antenna adapter cable you made still works great. I really appreciate it.

Tom, any update on antenna cable adapter for the old style BMW antenna connections?

Dan

tom @ eas
01-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Thought I'd throw out something I've worked out on my DICE. This has really enhanced my enjoyment of the DICE HD radio. I tend to really only listen to two stations: one on FM and one on AM.

One of the problems I've mentioned before about the DICE unit when using the radio is that if you have a favorite station, say, on FM that you listen to most of the time (although this is true for either AM or FM), and you switch over to AM then shut the car off for a while, when you turn the car back on, if you then switch back to FM, the station you were on is gone. I've found that if you select '4' (preset button), and then hit the Right > key and then the Left < key you'll be back on your favorite station. Any other combination will kick you to the wrong place. I'm pretty sure that this ONLY works if you've got the station stored as a favorite. So as an example:

1. I select DICE memory location 11 as my FM station to listen to 99.5 FM
2. I then switch to DICE AM memory location 1 to listen to 1400 AM
3. I shut the car off and go do something for a while
4. When I get back into the car, I am still on DICE AM memory location 1
5. I decide to switch back to FM to my original DICE FM station
6. After selecting 5-5, the FM is now on a completely different station, or on no station at all
7. I then press 4 to get to the preset selection section
8. To get to my station I press > and then < (I think you can do the same thing on the steering while station keys by pressing Up and then Down). Now I'm back on 99.5, DICE memory location 11.

This seems to work no matter if I start on AM or FM, regardless of what memory location the station is on.

Hope this helps some of you.

By the way, just to let you all know, the modification to use the stealth antenna with my old-style radio that I posted before is working great. No problems at all so far!

Thanks for the feedback on your experience and the antenna. Can I get the numbers off the bottom of the module?

tom @ eas
01-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for the info Dfitler and for the update that the antenna adapter cable you made still works great. I really appreciate it.

Tom, any update on antenna cable adapter for the old style BMW antenna connections?

Dan

Yes - we hope to start offering the older style versions in about 2 weeks.

dfitler
01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback on your experience and the antenna. Can I get the numbers off the bottom of the module?

Tom, are you talking about the numbers from the bottom of my DICE module? I'll have to take the glove compartment apart later this week to look them up. Can I ask the reason for the request? I certainly don't mind checking, but am curious. You can email me separately, if you'd like: dfitler@earthlink.net.

Thanks,

Doug

tom @ eas
01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Tom, are you talking about the numbers from the bottom of my DICE module? I'll have to take the glove compartment apart later this week to look them up. Can I ask the reason for the request? I certainly don't mind checking, but am curious. You can email me separately, if you'd like: dfitler@earthlink.net.

Thanks,

Doug

This will determine what batch the module came from, giving me info on th specific module you have.

keeverjr
01-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Tom

How do I determine if my car is the old sylte with regards to the stealth antenna?
2001, build date May 01, 525it,no nav, non dsp.
I have the Dice and I-pod extension cable (Dice mounted in back)

Thanks

tom @ eas
01-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Tom

How do I determine if my car is the old sylte with regards to the stealth antenna?
2001, build date May 01, 525it,no nav, non dsp.
I have the Dice and I-pod extension cable (Dice mounted in back)

Thanks

Can you snap a quick picture of your radio tuner so I can tell? I'll need detail to the connectors on the unit.

Send me a quick picture by email and I'll let you know right away. :thumbup:

ryanpei
01-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Just finished the install on the stealth antenna component of the Dice HD iPod device on my 05 X3.
Install was VERY easy (less than 1hr) although some dash components need to be removed (more for my install than most). I had never used the HD component because I hated the look of the HD antenna.

Just a note about something I did a bit differently from some others. I installed the module in the center console in front of the bracket that holds the "bucket". This places it beside the workings of the e-brake, and under the cup holder. Plenty of room. Just remove the two screws, and pull the aluminum bracket back out of the way. Bundle your cables and tape or elastic them. Then run the ipod cable (only a short cable is required) to where ever you want it. I ran mine up into the top compartment on the arm rest (as per instructions found here in the boards).
SO, this required running the new antenna cable behind the heater control fascia, and under the trim around the shifter (6 speed, not sure if automatics are similar). This also was easy. Two exposed screws forward, two under the shifter boot (which pops upward with a little tug) and two clips at the rear hold the shifter trim. There is even a slot at the back which leads to the space under the cupholder. Really easy.

Reverse order of disassembly and...done.

HD reception is VERY strong.

Looks like now I need to memorize those "keystrokes" (Disc 5 >> track 5>> Disc 2 >> track >> FF (hold) etc. etc. etc. Just wish this interface was a bit more "user friendly".

Tom, thanks for your help with the engine noise months ago, and thanks for developing the Stealth antenna.

Looks good, works well!

Ryan

tom @ eas
01-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback and glad you are happy with your new HD setup. :)

cali-ti
02-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Yes - we hope to start offering the older style versions in about 2 weeks.

update? would really like to put my car back together :)

tom @ eas
02-13-2008, 06:02 PM

Waiting on some connectors to arrive, we should be releasing them shortly.

whatheheck
02-13-2008, 09:19 PM
+1.

Still waiting.....

My HD radio is out of commision right now waiting for these cable adapters.

Dan

tom @ eas
02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
My ~11 month-old hd dice recently died. I reseated all the connections, did the battery cable thing and it is still not seen at all. I've tried twice to contact the manufacturer, both submitting trouble tickets and direct email. It's been two weeks and no response from them. Anybody know if they are still around?

Thanks,

Paul

We can pick up the slack from here. Have you checked the 2amp fuse in the trunk harness to see if it has blown?

Torquewrench
02-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi,

Got my DiCE HD installed with the stealth antenna, tested before buttoning it up and got radio, so I thought I had it. Now I realize I'm only getting a few strong FM stations, much fewer than using the regular FM on the radio. Is this a sign that something's wrong?

I'm located in Santa Barbara, CA.

Thanks,

tom @ eas
02-22-2008, 11:42 AM
Hi,

Got my DiCE HD installed with the stealth antenna, tested before buttoning it up and got radio, so I thought I had it. Now I realize I'm only getting a few strong FM stations, much fewer than using the regular FM on the radio. Is this a sign that something's wrong?

Thanks,

Recheck your connections, the adapter may be installed backwards. How is your AM reception?

bknauss
02-23-2008, 06:12 AM
Hi,

Thanks,

Might also be the issue with HD Radios having poor reception.

Torquewrench
02-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Recheck your connections, the adapter may be installed backwards. How is your AM reception?

Will do. I'll let you know once I get a chance to recheck them.

cali-ti
03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
any news on stealth antenna for the old style antennas connections?

tom @ eas
03-05-2008, 07:06 PM
any news on stealth antenna for the old style antennas connections?

These are now in stock. Give me a call to order one up as they are not on the site yet. :thumbup:

whatheheck
03-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Tom,

What about us/me that ordered the stealth antenna a couple of months ago, received the antenna already, then realized they are actually not compatible with our E39 M5's as we have the old style antenna connections. Can we simply do an exchange?

These are now in stock. Give me a call to order one up as they are not on the site yet. :thumbup:

tom @ eas
03-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Tom,

What about us/me that ordered the stealth antenna a couple of months ago, received the antenna already, then realized they are actually not compatible with our E39 M5's as we have the old style antenna connections. Can we simply do an exchange?

Of course we can - shoot me over a quick email with your full name and I'll make the necessary arrangements on my end.

whatheheck
03-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks Tom! As always, great customer service from you.

I will send you an eMail now.

All the best,

Dan

Of course we can - shoot me over a quick email with your full name and I'll make the necessary arrangements on my end.

cali-ti
03-16-2008, 12:27 PM
yeah, i'm in the same situation as dan ("whattheheck"). i'll send you an email now.

thanks tom!

whatheheck
03-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi Tom. I will be shipping the HD stealth antenna first thing tomorrow morning back to you. Kindly send the replacement ASAP. Thanks!

Sorry it took a while. I had a difficult time finding the receipt and the install manual.

Again, many thanks.

Dan

tom @ eas
03-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Emails received, I'll be responding shortly.

cali-ti
03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Emails received, I'll be responding shortly.

haven't received anything yet ... or my spam filter boogered it up.

tom @ eas
03-18-2008, 07:13 PM
haven't received anything yet ... or my spam filter boogered it up.

Can you resend your email? I'll follow up.

tdawg183
03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Tom, I just recieved my stealth antenna compatible with my 97' e39 and have a few questions.
1) The instructions (and others in this thread) talk about a connection with a red dot and another with a green dot. I do not see either of these with a labeled dot and am unsure of which goes where.
2) I do not have navigation and have mounted my HD Dice in the trunk, not behind the glovebox. With my antenna connection behind the dash, how would you suggest wiring the stealth antenna?
For what it's worth, I currently have the normal HD antenna mounted on the front windshield glass, I did this by splicing into the wire and simply extending it (made sure to isolate the different ones). Would it be possible for me to do the same with the Stealth antenna by running it in series with the normal HD antennaby using the small connectors supplied? Of course the factory antenna would be connected as well.

Thanks again!

whatheheck
03-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Hi Tom.

Just want to let you know I received the new stealth antenna compatible with my 2001 E39 M5 with the old style antenna connector. Thanks for the prompt shipping.

I will hook it up tomorrow and post updates and feedback here.

As always, thanks for the great customer service.

whatheheck
03-28-2008, 10:20 PM
I hooked up the Stealth Antenna today. Connection is now perfect for my 2001 BMW E39 M5 (old style antenna connectors.)

Stealth antenna works like a charm. I now get the HD stations without any problem.

Thanks again Tom for the excellent service and great products!

tdawg183
03-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I hooked up the Stealth Antenna today. Connection is now perfect for my 2001 BMW E39 M5 (old style antenna connectors.)

Stealth antenna works like a charm. I now get the HD stations without any problem.

Thanks again Tom for the excellent service and great products!

Did you hook your stealth antenna in line with the original HD DICE antenna? If so, how did you know which side to connect the small antenna line too?

tom @ eas
03-29-2008, 04:55 PM
Tom, I just recieved my stealth antenna compatible with my 97' e39 and have a few questions.
1) The instructions (and others in this thread) talk about a connection with a red dot and another with a green dot. I do not see either of these with a labeled dot and am unsure of which goes where.

Since you have the early antrenna design - there are no dots (which are on opposite sides of the module) since the connections can only go one way. Essentially, there is no wrong way this module can be installed.

2) I do not have navigation and have mounted my HD Dice in the trunk, not behind the glovebox. With my antenna connection behind the dash, how would you suggest wiring the stealth antenna?[/QUOTE]

The radio antenna wire will go into the Stealth Antenna module, then fro mthe module into the radio. The opposite side will have the connectors for the DICE module.

For what it's worth, I currently have the normal HD antenna mounted on the front windshield glass, I did this by splicing into the wire and simply extending it (made sure to isolate the different ones). Would it be possible for me to do the same with the Stealth antenna by running it in series with the normal HD antennaby using the small connectors supplied? Of course the factory antenna would be connected as well.

Thanks again!

We simply toss the HD DICE antenna, the module is perfectly fine for reception.

whatheheck
03-30-2008, 06:42 AM
As Tom explained, there is no way to mix up the connection.

Remove the big BMW antenna connector from the radio. Plug that in to the Stealth Antenna. The other big connector sticking out of the Stealth antenna now plugs in to the BMW radio. That's it.

If you want to still use the HD DICE antenna, you can plug it in to the one of the small connectors on the Stealth Antenna.

Hope that makes sense.

Dan

Did you hook your stealth antenna in line with the original HD DICE antenna? If so, how did you know which side to connect the small antenna line too?

tdawg183
03-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Gotcha, The small connection was what I was worried about. I was just worried about frying the HD DICE module if I connected the small connections backwords

wolrah
04-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Just an update regarding the whine and clicking I mentioned back on the last page:

I tore apart my trunk yesterday to do some rewiring and discovered that the audio cable was loose. I unplugged and replugged both the audio and power+ibus cables and almost all the whine went away. I still have a little on the aux in when my Sirius receiver is attached, but I think that's coming from the Sirius unit itself. All problems are gone on the iPod side.

Parkerton
04-17-2008, 02:01 PM
If you use an HD DICE or Silverline, can you choose to control your iPod directly on the iPod and not go through the radio controls/steering wheel if you choose not to?

For those who have bought HD DICE, obviously you thought having HD radio capabilities outweighed having the added benefits of Silverline. Can you confirm? I'm trying to decide between the two. Hopefully Tom will tell me that an HD Silverline is coming out soon and I won't have to decide???:D

tom @ eas
04-17-2008, 02:11 PM
If you use an HD DICE or Silverline, can you choose to control your iPod directly on the iPod and not go through the radio controls/steering wheel if you choose not to?

Depends on the iPod model. The touch, new Classic and 3rd Generation nano lock the iPod's Clickwheel when attached to 3rd party devices, this is an iPod-specific issue - not the DICE. Earlier iPods do not experience this issue on the HD DICE.

For those who have bought HD DICE, obviously you thought having HD radio capabilities outweighed having the added benefits of Silverline. Can you confirm? I'm trying to decide between the two. Hopefully Tom will tell me that an HD Silverline is coming out soon and I won't have to decide???:D

No ETA on when or if a HD SILVERLINE will be available. It's something that is currently being looked into to see if it can be upgraded with the existing hardware.

tom @ eas
04-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Hello All,

I purchased a Dice Silverline kit for my 32 GB iTouch and '05 X3. Everything went VERY easy with the install and couldn't be happier. Now my questions/issues here could be because of my ignorance or just plain not reading something but here I go.

I am starting to listen to a lot of classical, I can REALLY hear a distracting crackling noise anyone else have this? Sounds almost like the iPod's hard drive accessing... I mean I have the cable coiled up underneath my center console, it's not like it is running through the whole car around other wires.

Where is the DICE module located in your X3?

Secondly, when making EQ adjustments the screen keeps kicking over to the current song playing. It seems as though this happens when it starts scrolling the Artist/Song, gets pretty annoying when you try to adjust the Bass or Treble and it keeps bumping you out. Also, does this when accessing my Address book of my phone via Bluetooth.

Due to the nature of how the DICE displays text, text display must be turned off if EQ settings are to be changed. You can turn it back on when your settings are completed.

Thirdly, is there anyway to start the iPod playing without starting your playlist on the iPod itself and replugging it in? It works fine as long as you never unplug or use your iPod elsewhere.

Any help or suggestions to these issues would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

The iPod will pick up where it left off if left connected, provided the iPod does not go into hibernation mode. If it is, I would recommend the use of calender reminders to prevent the iPod from doing so.

krik011
04-23-2008, 08:59 AM
The Dice unit is located under the center console and my Ipod is located in the center console...not far at all.

Also I get the humming when the Ipod isn't plugged in but I am selected on the CD Changer output.

Thanks for the help so far.

tom @ eas
04-23-2008, 09:06 AM
The Dice unit is located under the center console and my Ipod is located in the center console...not far at all.

Also I get the humming when the Ipod isn't plugged in but I am selected on the CD Changer output.

Thanks for the help so far.

The DICE without an iPod connected acts as a giant antenna at high volumes - some noise will be picked up. With an iPod connected, you should not hear any noise.

Do you hear a difference with the iPod's backlight turned on/off?

krik011
04-23-2008, 08:07 PM
I hit the button on my Ipod to blank the screen and it sounds the same. (iTouch)

nschmied
05-24-2008, 10:39 AM
As Tom explained, there is no way to mix up the connection.

Remove the big BMW antenna connector from the radio. Plug that in to the Stealth Antenna. The other big connector sticking out of the Stealth antenna now plugs in to the BMW radio. That's it.

If you want to still use the HD DICE antenna, you can plug it in to the one of the small connectors on the Stealth Antenna.

Hope that makes sense.

Dan

I also have my Dice HD unit in the trunk. Just received the dual diversity antenna (had to do an exchange as I received the wrong one.. ), but there were no connection cables included with the module. Am I to assume that you do not have to connect one of the small connectors on the antenna module to the antenna input on the HD Dice unit?

tdawg183
05-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Tom, my HD radio is acting up. The HD stations sound fine but, for the non HD stations, I do not get all of the stations that the factory radio picks up and I the main ones that I do have intermittant fuzzyness to them. Any suggestions? I already tightened the screw to the window mount HD antenna... I am running it along with the stealth.

tom @ eas
05-27-2008, 10:09 AM
I also have my Dice HD unit in the trunk. Just received the dual diversity antenna (had to do an exchange as I received the wrong one.. ), but there were no connection cables included with the module. Am I to assume that you do not have to connect one of the small connectors on the antenna module to the antenna input on the HD Dice unit?

You should have received 1 cable with the antenna. This will connect the antenna to the HD DICE module. The BMW-antenna side connections are part of the Stealth Antenna Module.

whatheheck
05-27-2008, 11:49 AM
That is correct!

The cables for stock BMW antenna connections are already hooked up to the stealth antenna. Just connect them.

One cable that came with the stealth antenna hooks up to the HD Radio antenna input.

You should have received 1 cable with the antenna. This will connect the antenna to the HD DICE module. The BMW-antenna side connections are part of the Stealth Antenna Module.

nschmied
05-28-2008, 10:44 AM
EAS is sending me the missing cable. Be aware that the longest length cable available is only 4 ft. This means I will have to relocate the Dice HD from the trunk to the front of the vehicle so I can connect the stealth antenna to the HD unit. Thanks for the replies.

dfitler
06-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Tom,

I purchased the Stealth antenna adapter a while back (the newer one with the integrated older style cable connectors), and haven't been able to install it. What I'm having difficulty with is the length of the cables that are permanently attached to the stealth module (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long). With these short little cables, how do you install this module without damaging it? There's no way I can see to get my hands back there to guide the module into a spot where it is not going to be crushed by the radio. Is there a trick to getting it in the right spot so that you can slide the radio in all the way?

I have a 2001 330Ci Convertible with the older model business CD.

Thanks.

tom @ eas
06-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Tom,

I purchased the Stealth antenna adapter a while back (the newer one with the integrated older style cable connectors), and haven't been able to install it. What I'm having difficulty with is the length of the cables that are permanently attached to the stealth module (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long). With these short little cables, how do you install this module without damaging it? There's no way I can see to get my hands back there to guide the module into a spot where it is not going to be crushed by the radio. Is there a trick to getting it in the right spot so that you can slide the radio in all the way?

I have a 2001 330Ci Convertible with the older model business CD.

Thanks.

There should be no problems with the SAM and reinstalling your radio, we have installed countless times here in house before.

whatheheck
07-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi Tom. Wanting to upgrade, I purchased today a new 6th Generation 80gb iPod video.

Much to my surprise and my fault for not researching this first, Apple changed the connector interface on this new 6th generation iPod video!!!!

I tried plugging the DICE to Ipod connector today and they dont mate!

I checked your EAS website and I dont see an iPod to DICE cable available for this new 6th generation iPod video. Is there a cable coming out soon? Help!

Dan

tom @ eas
07-02-2008, 10:07 AM
Hi Tom. Wanting to upgrade, I purchased today a new 6th Generation 80gb iPod video.

Much to my surprise and my fault for not researching this first, Apple changed the connector interface on this new 6th generation iPod video!!!!

I tried plugging the DICE to Ipod connector today and they dont mate!

I checked your EAS website and I dont see an iPod to DICE cable available for this new 6th generation iPod video. Is there a cable coming out soon? Help!

Dan

The dock connector has not changed since the 3rd Generation iPod, your Classic iPod is compatible.

whatheheck
07-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi Tom.

I confirm that Apple changed their connector on their 6th Generation iPod video they now call "classic".

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-classic-Black-Generation/dp/B000JLKIHA

I tried and tried to mate the DICE to iPod connector on this latest model and they wont mate.

The new connector is smaller than their 5th generation video ipod.

If you have someone around you that has a 6th generation iPod video Classic - I urge you try it and kindly let me know if I am mistaken. Thanks!

Dan

The dock connector has not changed since the 3rd Generation iPod, your Classic iPod is compatible.

tom @ eas
07-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi Tom.

I confirm that Apple changed their connector on their 6th Generation iPod video they now call "classic".

This one: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPod-classic-Black-Generation/dp/B000JLKIHA

I tried and tried to mate the DICE to iPod connector on this latest model and they wont mate.

The new connector is smaller than their 5th generation video ipod.

If you have someone around you that has a 6th generation iPod video Classic - I urge you try it and kindly let me know if I am mistaken. Thanks!

Dan

As indicated earlier, the dock connector design/shape has not changed since the 3rd Generation iPod.

We have every version of iPod since the beginning (16 iPods in house, including a 160GB Classic), have extensive experience in the field and are involved in the "Made for iPod" program - there is no compatibility issues with the Classic. You are doing something wrong on your end, possibly the connector is upside down?

The only iPods that are not compatible with the DICE are the 1/2ndGeneration iPods (circa 2001) and the Shuffle, which do not have a dock connector at all.

tdawg183
09-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Tom, my HD radio is acting up. The HD stations sound fine but, for the non HD stations, I do not get all of the stations that the factory radio picks up and I the main ones that I do have intermittant fuzzyness to them. Any suggestions? I already tightened the screw to the window mount HD antenna... I am running it along with the stealth.

Tom, I quote myself from earlier as its been a long time since this has been posted. I would like to add that I now have my HD DICE unit mounted behind the glovebox where it was in the trunk (but the problem was there too). How much of a problem, if at all, would have been caused by splicing and extending the antenna (Stealth & HD) wires where I had them running from the trunk to the HU? I did take extra care to not let the two wire cores touch in my splicing and soldering. Can I purchase a new wire from the Stealth Antenna to the HD DICE?

Also, I've been meaning to ask you if
1) Will I notice any difference running the stealth antenna alone compared to the stealth and the window unit?
2) Will I notice any difference in iPod operation if I switched from the business casette to the businesse cd in my e39.

Thanks again Tom.

tom @ eas
09-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Tom, I quote myself from earlier as its been a long time since this has been posted. I would like to add that I now have my HD DICE unit mounted behind the glovebox where it was in the trunk (but the problem was there too). How much of a problem, if at all, would have been caused by splicing and extending the antenna (Stealth & HD) wires where I had them running from the trunk to the HU? I did take extra care to not let the two wire cores touch in my splicing and soldering. Can I purchase a new wire from the Stealth Antenna to the HD DICE?

Also, I've been meaning to ask you if
1) Will I notice any difference running the stealth antenna alone compared to the stealth and the window unit?
2) Will I notice any difference in iPod operation if I switched from the business casette to the businesse cd in my e39.

Thanks again Tom.

I wouldn't recommend splicing on the coaxial side - it simply isn't needed.

1) You will notice a dramatic difference in reception (both AM & FM) between the DICE-supplied and Stealth Antenna Module (SAM). We simply toss the HD DICE antennas away after the SAM is installed.
2) In relation to HD DICE operation mode, no. However the Business CDs do seem to have have a higher quality audio output than Business Cassette units.

tdawg183
09-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't recommend splicing on the coaxial side - it simply isn't needed.

1) You will notice a dramatic difference in reception (both AM & FM) between the DICE-supplied and Stealth Antenna Module (SAM). We simply toss the HD DICE antennas away after the SAM is installed.
2) In relation to HD DICE operation mode, no. However the Business CDs do seem to have have a higher quality audio output than Business Cassette units.

Only reason I spliced was to extend the reach of the ANTENNA (Window & SAM) wire from the trunk (where HD DICE module was located) to the front glass antenna. The HD DICE module is now behind the glove box and the long spliced wire is wound up back there with it.

My question is could this be causing my lack of reception? If not, then what is my problem because I get little to no stations through the HD DICE when compared to the normal radio. I need to get this fixed. Do you have any recommended solutions?

tom @ eas
09-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Only reason I spliced was to extend the reach of the ANTENNA (Window & SAM) wire from the trunk (where HD DICE module was located) to the front glass antenna. The HD DICE module is now behind the glove box and the long spliced wire is wound up back there with it.

My question is could this be causing my lack of reception? If not, then what is my problem because I get little to no stations through the HD DICE when compared to the normal radio. I need to get this fixed. Do you have any recommended solutions?

The HD DICE antenna is weak compared to the SAM - you won't be using the included antenna once the SAM is integrated.

whatheheck
09-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Just want to say that I get much better reception using both SAM Antenna and stock HD Dice Antenna.

tdawg183
09-03-2008, 05:37 PM
The HD DICE antenna is weak compared to the SAM - you won't be using the included antenna once the SAM is integrated.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself well enough. I have both antennas connected right now and the reception is still worse than the factory radio's.

I was offering a solution by suggestion that maybe this is because I spliced and extended the SAM and the HD DICE antenna wires when I had the HD DICE module located in the trunk. Now since the HD DICE module is located in the glovebox I no longer needed the long wires so they are wrapped up behind the glovebox with the module. Interference maybe? Bad splice?

Are you suggesting that if I disconnect the HD DICE antenna that the SAM will work better according to the quote above?

Thanks

tdawg183
09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Tom, I'm running out of idea about why my reception is so bad with the SAM and the HD DICE antenna connected.

Again, could it be the splice that I made to extend the small SMB connector wire to the trunk which is now all wrapped up behind the glovebox? Could the two SMB wires which I physically plug into the SAM be backwords? (Does that matter?) Could it be a bad ground on the HD DICE antenna?

Can I order a new wire from you to replace the one I spliced? It's the SMB connector wire running from the SAM to the DICE module.

It's been a while like this now and the fuzzy reception is starting to get a little annoying.

Thanks

tom @ eas
09-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Tom, I'm running out of idea about why my reception is so bad with the SAM and the HD DICE antenna connected.

Again, could it be the splice that I made to extend the small SMB connector wire to the trunk which is now all wrapped up behind the glovebox? Could the two SMB wires which I physically plug into the SAM be backwords? (Does that matter?) Could it be a bad ground on the HD DICE antenna?

Can I order a new wire from you to replace the one I spliced? It's the SMB connector wire running from the SAM to the DICE module.

It's been a while like this now and the fuzzy reception is starting to get a little annoying.

Thanks

If the cables were cut - it can be anyone's guess. Can you email me pictures of your connections and the cable splices so I cna see what we're working with?

tdawg183
09-17-2008, 05:31 PM
If the cables were cut - it can be anyone's guess. Can you email me pictures of your connections and the cable splices so I cna see what we're working with?

I mean the connections into and out of the SAM and HD DICE are dummy proof, before I start tearing things out to take pictures I would like to confirm 2 things.

1) Could the only wires plugged directly into the SAM (female connections, not the coaxial to the HU) possibly ever be switched. In other words, is this a one-way connector?

2) Could any interference be created by the HD DICE antenna (say a bad ground) while the SAM is plugged into the factory radio?

I believe if those questions are answered I can narrow the problem down significantly without pulling the glove box. My factory radio works fine so I've eliminated the coaxials as the issue in this.

tom @ eas
09-18-2008, 10:43 AM
I mean the connections into and out of the SAM and HD DICE are dummy proof, before I start tearing things out to take pictures I would like to confirm 2 things.

1) Could the only wires plugged directly into the SAM (female connections, not the coaxial to the HU) possibly ever be switched. In other words, is this a one-way connector?

Yes, the connector is directional. This is determined by the red and green dots on the module.

2) Could any interference be created by the HD DICE antenna (say a bad ground) while the SAM is plugged into the factory radio?

It's possible, we discard the DICE antennas when the SAM is used.

tdawg183
09-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Yes, the connector is directional. This is determined by the red and green dots on the module.

Even with the unit made for a '97 528i? I thought that this module didn't have the red and green dots... I didn't see any if there were.

It's possible, we discard the DICE antennas when the SAM is used.
Ok, I'll try disconnecting the DICE antenna this afternoon

tom @ eas
09-18-2008, 01:52 PM
Even with the unit made for a '97 528i? I thought that this module didn't have the red and green dots... I didn't see any if there were.

Ok, I'll try disconnecting the DICE antenna this afternoon

I was referring to Single Diversity. For an early antenna design (Dual) - there is no possible way to connect it wrong.

tdawg183
09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
I was referring to Single Diversity. For an early antenna design (Dual) - there is no possible way to connect it wrong.

I pulled the HU this afternoon to get to the SAM. First thing I noticed was that the coaxial coming from the SAM being plugged into the back of the HU was loose... not the connection itself but the actual plug in how it was connected to the wire. I attempted to tighten it up onto the wire and the connection fell of the end of the wire coming from the SAM. Not sure what to do about that and why that end would affect the reception of the HD radio, maybe you can tell me.

Long story short, I connected the factory radio lead into the SAM and did not connect the other end into the HU. Then connected the small wire to the DICE module and the reception seemed much better BUT I have no factory radio now. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

tom @ eas
09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I pulled the HU this afternoon to get to the SAM. First thing I noticed was that the coaxial coming from the SAM being plugged into the back of the HU was loose... not the connection itself but the actual plug in how it was connected to the wire. I attempted to tighten it up onto the wire and the connection fell of the end of the wire coming from the SAM. Not sure what to do about that and why that end would affect the reception of the HD radio, maybe you can tell me.

Long story short, I connected the factory radio lead into the SAM and did not connect the other end into the HU. Then connected the small wire to the DICE module and the reception seemed much better BUT I have no factory radio now. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Either the antenna wires became disconnected or something bad within the module. Recheck your connections or we can have the module tested for you.

tdawg183
09-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Either the antenna wires became disconnected or something bad within the module. Recheck your connections or we can have the module tested for you.

I just checked and then rechecked the connections. For simplification I have completely taken off the HD DICE glass mount antenna.

What I have now is the factory coaxial radio wire running into the SAM. The coaxial wire coming out of the SAM and into the back of the HU is not connected because the connector fell off the wire (* - see note below). There is then a small wire running from the SAM to the DICE. Radio is working through the DICE but not great... it's a weak signal. Factory radio is obviously not working at all.

* I have read that the factory radio's amplifier in the rear c-pillar of the car needs an external supply (looks like connector in blue note below from an e46). I see this connector on the back of my HU and amplifier in the c-piller. Both are connected now. My question is that with the SAM not plugged back into the HU is this leaving a circuit incomplete thus causing bad reception?

tom @ eas
09-22-2008, 07:41 PM
I just checked and then rechecked the connections. For simplification I have completely taken off the HD DICE glass mount antenna.

What I have now is the factory coaxial radio wire running into the SAM. The coaxial wire coming out of the SAM and into the back of the HU is not connected because the connector fell off the wire (* - see note below). There is then a small wire running from the SAM to the DICE. Radio is working through the DICE but not great... it's a weak signal. Factory radio is obviously not working at all.

* I have read that the factory radio's amplifier in the rear c-pillar of the car needs an external supply (looks like connector in blue note below from an e46). I see this connector on the back of my HU and amplifier in the c-piller. Both are connected now. My question is that with the SAM not plugged back into the HU is this leaving a circuit incomplete thus causing bad reception?

We've been shipping the module for quite some time, if this was an issue - it would have shown its face long ago.

I would believe it is a faulty module beforehand - and it would be the first. Contact me via email and we'll make arrangements to have it inspected under warranty.

tdawg183
09-23-2008, 11:05 AM
But what I'm saying is that nothing is wrong with the module from what I can tell except for the fact that the coaxial connector came off the end of the wire going into the back of the HU. This is what I was questioned. Could having a loose connection here cause the HD DICE module to not have as powerful a connection as if it wasn't loose?

tom @ eas
09-23-2008, 06:41 PM
But what I'm saying is that nothing is wrong with the module from what I can tell except for the fact that the coaxial connector came off the end of the wire going into the back of the HU. This is what I was questioned. Could having a loose connection here cause the HD DICE module to not have as powerful a connection as if it wasn't loose?

No, as the BMW side would still perform a bridged connection.

clavius
10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Tom,

Will the stealth antenna work with a 2005 Toyota Camry/Solara no NAV JBL 6 disc in dash system?

tom @ eas
10-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Tom,

Will the stealth antenna work with a 2005 Toyota Camry/Solara no NAV JBL 6 disc in dash system?

Can't say for sure as we're BMW specific.

tdawg183
03-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Tom, has you ever tried accessing the CD43 service mode after you have installed an HD DICE with the stealth antenna? I am able to do this but it won't gain me access to the AREA part... where you choose US, Canada, Europe, etc. This is somewhat in response to the bad reception issues that I had mentioned (and still have) a long while back... in this thread.

tom @ eas
03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Tom, has you ever tried accessing the CD43 service mode after you have installed an HD DICE with the stealth antenna? I am able to do this but it won't gain me access to the AREA part... where you choose US, Canada, Europe, etc. This is somewhat in response to the bad reception issues that I had mentioned (and still have) a long while back... in this thread.

What specifically is happening in your case?

tdawg183
03-05-2009, 06:33 PM
What specifically is happening in your case?

My HD Dice isn't picking up all of the stations that my normal radio is picking up, I've even found myself switching to factory FM just to recieve common frequencies. Some of the ones that it does pick up often have a popping sound, some stations come in perfectly fine though. I'm not even sure I'm receiving optimal FM reception through the factory radio so I was exploring the service mode of the MID to make sure the AREA function was set to US and not Canada or wherever.

I mentioned before that the large connection coming off the SAM and into the back of the radio was extremely loose and looks to be falling off.

Thanks again Tom

tom @ eas
03-05-2009, 07:00 PM
My HD Dice isn't picking up all of the stations that my normal radio is picking up, I've even found myself switching to factory FM just to recieve common frequencies. Some of the ones that it does pick up often have a popping sound, some stations come in perfectly fine though. I'm not even sure I'm receiving optimal FM reception through the factory radio so I was exploring the service mode of the MID to make sure the AREA function was set to US and not Canada or wherever.

I mentioned before that the large connection coming off the SAM and into the back of the radio was extremely loose and looks to be falling off.

Thanks again Tom

If the DICE antenna is not properly grounded, reception will be spotty at best. We simply toss the HD DICE antennas and use our Stealth Antenna Module.

tdawg183
03-05-2009, 07:23 PM
If the DICE antenna is not properly grounded, reception will be spotty at best. We simply toss the HD DICE antennas and use our Stealth Antenna Module.

Sorry, I meant to add that I did that. I no longer use the HD DICE antenna, just the stealth

tom @ eas
03-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Sorry, I meant to add that I did that. I no longer use the HD DICE antenna, just the stealth

If you would like, we can perform a bench test to make sure the pieces are working 100%.

tdawg183
03-06-2009, 04:29 AM
If you would like, we can perform a bench test to make sure the pieces are working 100%.

Sure, can I just send the SAM or do you need the DICE module also? It's kind of tucked and secured away... not as easy to get to.

tom @ eas
03-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Sure, can I just send the SAM or do you need the DICE module also? It's kind of tucked and secured away... not as easy to get to.

I'd prefer both as we can have both tested for you.

dman928
03-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Any word on the Silverline features for the HD Radio kit? It's been a long time with no info, so I'm assuming that it's not happening.

I'd like to purchase a unit soon with HD Radio capability, but I don't want to lose the silveline functions.

tom @ eas
03-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Any word on the Silverline features for the HD Radio kit? It's been a long time with no info, so I'm assuming that it's not happening.

I'd like to purchase a unit soon with HD Radio capability, but I don't want to lose the silveline functions.

No word on when or if this this will be integrated with HD DICE.

dman928
03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
No word on when or if this this will be integrated with HD DICE.

I just received a reply to an E-mail I sent directly to Dice. It appears that the HD Radio with Silverline functionality is currently under development, and they are shooting for a release date of next month.

I have my fingers crossed.:thumbup:

TimeOut
10-24-2009, 10:43 AM
So, what happened to the HD DICE with Silverline functionality?

I don't even see the HD DICE on the dice website anymore. Was this product discontinued?

dman928
10-24-2009, 01:05 PM
I gave up waiting.

I don't think it's going to happen.

tom @ eas
10-26-2009, 11:21 AM
So, what happened to the HD DICE with Silverline functionality?

I don't even see the HD DICE on the dice website anymore. Was this product discontinued?

HD DICE has been discontinued from DICE, sorry.

djcwardog
10-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Tom, you need show the E60 MOST guys some fun as well with a kit that does not require coding by the dealer - or simple black box that will code for you... HD Radio would be a nice add-on especially if it showed up in iDrive under the FM radio options...