PDA

View Full Version : 2008 528i driving experience --5/1/07

chalkie
05-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Just drove both the new 535 and the 528. Obviously the 535 is much quicker but I saw some real appeal in the 528. It drove like my 2002 530i with very similar handling, speed and fuel efficiency. Also, the 535 has an unsightly rear muffler underhang -- a design detail flaw that BMW has been careful to avoid up till now. Also, the 535 is a bit "piggy" on the petrol. In addition, the standard rims on the 535 are actually frumpy looking (like the rims on the 04 525), while the 528 maintains the rims of the 04-07 530i -- the "Crager" 5 spoke facimile. Saving 5G's is an additional incentive as well.

For all the speed freaks, get the 535. But if you want a well balanced machine that blends adequate performance with style and cost efficiency pick the 528. Just make sure you order it with xenons.

Your chick won't know the difference. She'll just groove on the look of the car (identical to the 535) while enjoying the fruits (hopefully with you) of the $5000.00 left in your pocket. If you have a hard time giving up the "juice" of the twin turbos, just remind yourself that you are never going to be old #3, Dale E., and you'll actually help the environment just a little bit more with the 528. We got to start somewhere!

Remember, it's not just size of the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean!

ihavedrivenanm1
05-01-2007, 09:02 PM
The four things I noticed most about a recent 535i test-drive:

[1] The 5 seemed to have more noticeable turbo lag than does the 335. :thumbdwn:

[2] Very nice, tight, dialed-in drive quality

[3] The '08 5 no longer has a seat belt chime! :thumbup:

[4] iDrive ***8220;lawyer screen is gone.

The ventilated seats with the Nasca leather were quite nice but the opportunity costs over, say ten years for the $3,000 option cost make it quite a poor value.

Ugly Bear
05-01-2007, 11:50 PM
[3] - Cool! :thumbup:
[4] - VERY COOL :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Kamdog
05-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Just for information, what is so special about the Xenons that they should be ordered with the 528? They are over $700, and I have always found regular headlights good. Im just curious, and I will be ordering soon, so I am seeking information.

Eric B
05-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Xenons make a huge difference. I had 2 cars, one with Xenons and one without, for 3 years. Everytime I got into the 3 series (no Xenons) I thought to myself, I wish this thing had xenons.

The light is much brighter, and your ability to see at night is improved drastically. When driving in bad weather, the difference is even greater. Its a no-brainer to me.

I just got rid of the 3 for a 545, and now both have xenons.

stevepow
05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Your chick won't know the difference.

You can probably trade in your "chic" for one who knows the difference if you shop around. That'd be my preference. :D

badger8
05-02-2007, 11:31 AM
I agree on the "frumpy" wheels for the base 535. Very '94 Accord like.

oilbelcher
05-02-2007, 03:57 PM
The four things I noticed most about a recent 535i test-drive:

[1] The 5 seemed to have more noticeable turbo lag than does the 335. :thumbdwn:

[2] Very nice, tight, dialed-in drive quality

[3] The '08 5 no longer has a seat belt chime! :thumbup:

[4] iDrive "lawyer screen is gone.

The ventilated seats with the Nasca leather were quite nice but the opportunity costs over, say ten years for the $3,000 option cost make it quite a poor value.

[1]--I wonder if the sport auto transmission option with the sport package will be an improvement with engine response. When in sport mode of the sport auto trans, the throttle response is actually supposed to be different (in addition to faster transmission shift response). Too bad we have to wait until late summer to drive the new sport auto trans.

Kamdog
05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I agree on the "frumpy" wheels for the base 535. Very '94 Accord like.

Hey, I had a 94 Accord EX. Dont knock it. Two thirds the price of the 3 series and as close to it as you could get. I followed an Alpha down the Merrit Parkway at 95 mph, and he couldnt get away from me. I took it the whole Taconic, and no one passed me (no 320i's tho) even though several tried. That car was great! C and D did a comparo, had to load up the Accord with everything and strip the Bimmer completely so as to get the price even close, then gave the 3 a bit of an edge. Honda has not made an Accord as good as that one, and it was great. Slick shifting, good power, light clutch, even engagement, quite tossable and had a great seat. Lots of car companies make good cars, BMW just makes them a bit better.

razzy530
05-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Just drove both the new 535 and the 528. Obviously the 535 is much quicker but I saw some real appeal in the 528. It drove like my 2002 530i with very similar handling, speed and fuel efficiency. Also, the 535 has an unsightly rear muffler underhang -- a design detail flaw that BMW has been careful to avoid up till now. Also, the 535 is a bit "piggy" on the petrol. In addition, the standard rims on the 535 are actually frumpy looking (like the rims on the 04 525), while the 528 maintains the rims of the 04-07 530i -- the "Crager" 5 spoke facimile. Saving 5G's is an additional incentive as well.

For all the speed freaks, get the 535. But if you want a well balanced machine that blends adequate performance with style and cost efficiency pick the 528. Just make sure you order it with xenons.

Your chick won't know the difference. She'll just groove on the look of the car (identical to the 535) while enjoying the fruits (hopefully with you) of the $5000.00 left in your pocket. If you have a hard time giving up the "juice" of the twin turbos, just remind yourself that you are never going to be old #3, Dale E., and you'll actually help the environment just a little bit more with the 528. We got to start somewhere!

Remember, it's not just size of the size of the ship but the motion of the ocean!

Agreed!

badger8
05-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Hey Kamdog, grew up on Accords as well. Just didn't like the wheels sometimes. Take a good look at the base 535 wheel and it will remind you of your Accord.

SteVTEC
05-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Hey, I had a 94 Accord EX. Dont knock it. Two thirds the price of the 3 series and as close to it as you could get. I followed an Alpha down the Merrit Parkway at 95 mph, and he couldnt get away from me. I took it the whole Taconic, and no one passed me (no 320i's tho) even though several tried. That car was great! C and D did a comparo, had to load up the Accord with everything and strip the Bimmer completely so as to get the price even close, then gave the 3 a bit of an edge. Honda has not made an Accord as good as that one, and it was great. Slick shifting, good power, light clutch, even engagement, quite tossable and had a great seat. Lots of car companies make good cars, BMW just makes them a bit better.1994 Maxima SE's with the 190hp "VE" motor would lay waste to Accords and even BMW 3-series. Nothing short of a German V8 was faster. The car was light, handled awesome, had a great suspension, stock VLSD with the 5MT, and a lot of other stuff. It was clearly ahead of its time, and the last of the truly great Nissans. The two generations of Maximas after that had crappy suspensions, horrible steering and watered down features (like my '99), and the gen after that (currently) is a 3600lb FWD boat that turns like one too. Not knocking Accords because I had one of those also, but older Nissans kicked ass. :) Too bad I never had the pleasure of owning one of those. :(

SteVTEC
05-07-2007, 08:01 AM
BTW thanks to the OP for 528i driving impressions. All the hype is around the 535i but I actually have little interest in that. :thumbup:

Still not sure when or if I'll be able to do an ED - may just buy retail off the lot. We'll see...

Kamdog
05-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Steve, buying one off the lot is very unpredictable. The dealers usually have very few of them, and it is hard to get the combo you want. If youre going to lay out almost 50 grand for a car, you dont want to get the wrong stuff in it or a color combo that doesnt do it for you. Up here in NY, all the 5ers are coming in with AWD. If you want RWD, you have to order it here.

SteVTEC
05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
oh, what I meant with "buy off the lot" is ordering one and waiting for it to come in with the exact options and colors we'd want instead of an ED. But if I can't work out our ED timing and schedules (wife has a new busy job + a new baby) then I think I'd rather just do an ED anyways purely for the savings but go myself over a long weekend and ditch the wife and kid. :D

jacksonhunter31
05-09-2007, 08:09 PM
in my dark and cold neck of the woods (upper midwest) xenons are a bargain at twice the price.

also..my 535 has zero, as in absolutely none, turbo lag...

oh yeah...I would have to be paid vast sums of $$ to drive another Accord. (or Acura) No Soul, no style and ridiculous dealer experiences....if you want Asian, reliable, and cheap--buy a Hyundai!

raleighbimmer
05-10-2007, 04:06 PM
I had a 1990 E35 5 series before getting an E60. The E34 had light-up-the-night high beams and I thought I could get away with the standard headlights on the new car. I test drove one with the Xenons, which has a very precise wide semicircular arc high beam pattern, but struck me as a bit subdued in output by comparison to my E34. Mistake was in not test driving one with standard headlights after dark. I ordered my new car with standard headlights thinking the difference from the E34 could not be that much. But --- the E60 uses an H7 bulb with is significantly lower output than the bulbs the E34 used. I am disappointed with the standard E60 high beams. Very narrow focus, and noticably less light output that the 16 year old. I would reluctantly go for the Xenons to get better light output, and would try to not think too often about the $700 extra cost. But at the end of the day, the additional light output would be worth it to me, especially the much wider light pattern that the Xenons have. Best thing to do: take a short night time test drive in both headlight configurations, on a dark road with no street lights, and see if it makes a difference to you.

Starab
05-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Just for information, what is so special about the Xenons that they should be ordered with the 528? They are over $700, and I have always found regular headlights good. Im just curious, and I will be ordering soon, so I am seeking information.

I revised my order on my 528xi and got Xenon lights.They are adaptive, last longer and brighter than regular headlights. In addition to those it has cornering lighting feature( this year) that lights the corner or the side you make turn at a low speed(<30mph) which is very good I think.
About the cost, If U R buying around $50000/ luxury car $600-700 is worth for this feature. I will go for it. Remember BMW is an Ultimate driving machine.

krash
05-10-2007, 08:14 PM
also..my 535 has zero, as in absolutely none, turbo lag...

oh yeah...I would have to be paid vast sums of $$ to drive another Accord. (or Acura) No Soul, no style and ridiculous dealer experiences....if you want Asian, reliable, and cheap--buy a Hyundai!

Glad to hear.

I am test driving a 535xi this weekend.
:)
The dealer nearest me doesn't have a 535i yet, but that is ok since I am leaning towards a 535xi anyway.

I expect to order in early June.

Funny you mentioned Acura. I still haven't totally ruled out an RL or even a TL Type-S(believe it or not). My wife has an MDX. We are very happy with it and have had nothing but excellent support from the dealer.

At this point, I am obviously leaning towards the BMW, but the Acuras have managed to hang around on my short list.

The Infiniti G35 and M35/M45 got voted off the island. I test drove both of them. They are nice, but I just don't think so...Same applies to the Lexus GS.

thebolt99
05-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I'm trading in my current 2005 Acura TL for a 2008 528i

I had a 2000 323ci that I traded in for the Acura and I regretted every second of that move. The TL just does not drive like a BMW. If you are use to the BMW you will, over time just not like the way the TL handles the road. I got sold on the "cool" toys in the car. Nav, bluetooth and ect. BMW just didn't have the toys at that time (in the 3-series). I have the 6-spd and it just hops all over the road during acceleration. It is a ok car, but for 38k you can get a better driving car (BMW).

Just my 2 cents.

Erik