PDA

View Full Version : New 535xi pics and initial impressions

BMWBluejay
05-02-2007, 05:04 PM
I picked up my new 535xi a few hours ago. I've only put about 50 miles on it so far, so this is not a thorough review of the car, just my initial impressions in no particular order: I really like the Space Gray color, I wasn't sure I would, but I think it's a great color and it will be easier to keep clean than my black 540 was. This car is very quick and I think all my worries about going from a V8 to a 6 were unfounded. It feels every bit as quick as my 540 if not quicker—but I need to drive it more to know for sure—I really have not opened it up yet. The car rides beautifully-much better than my old 540, although a bit softer than my 540 which I expected coming from the M suspension—with the xi’s, you don’t get the M suspension, even on the Sport models like mine. I think I'll find it an acceptable trade-off to have the standard suspension but also have AWD. The interior is incredibly comfortable and I’m impressed with the fit and finish quality. The 20-way adjustable seats are unbelievable—do not buy this car without them—especially if you have a bad back like I do. Probably the coolest thing is the factory iPod adapter. It works extremely well, and the sound quality through the LOGIC 7 is excellent—although the satellite radio quality has a bit to be desired but that’s not the LOGIC 7’s fault. My only complaint so far with the iPod adaptor is when you scroll through all the artists it can take a long time to get from A to Z if you have hundreds of artists like I do. If there’s a setting to remedy this situation I have not yet found it. The nav system seems very nice and capable, but I was hoping that the entire iDrive screen would be used—I’d say about 75% of the screen is used for the nav display—still very acceptable. I was very worried about liking the looks of the xi wheels. I really wanted 18” wheels but I bought the AWD in the first place so I would not have to put on snow tires anymore. I’m sure the car would look better with the 18s on it, but for now I’m happy with the way the car looks. Here is a link to some pics I took of the car today. Thanks all.
-Bluejay

http://picasaweb.google.com/schulteb/2008535xi?authkey=NkgMj3VXECo

Swift
05-02-2007, 05:23 PM
I couldn't bring myself to battle through that wall-o-text but congrats and may the road ahead always be free of obstacles. :)

Tip of the day: Writing in paragraphs, and leaving gaps between blocks of text, provides a resting point that allows the reader to absorb what has been written before continuing on to the next idea. Paragraphs should be short and contain a complete idea.

Wil325
05-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks for posting, BlueJay. I enjoyed the read (prefer longer posts over that of soundbites). Great photos, too!

jetjock07
05-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the pictures. You car looks very nice. Sharp looking. :thumbup:

gweiden
05-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Nice pics...nice wheels...congrats. I can hardly wait.

razzy530
05-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Gourgeous!!!!!! Congrats. (im next :eeps: )

mvallido
05-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics. What a beauty!

ChrisDressler
05-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Congrats man, those pics look awesome--definitely like the gray color!! :thumbup:

ExGMan
05-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Very nice looking car! Is that the Light Poplar wood-grain? If so, I think that was definitely the right choice.

Also, if you want to think about modding the suspension, cmansbimmer over on the e60.net has taken his 2007 530xi down closer to the road by changing out some springs...maybe coil-overs, but I'm not sure. I don't think it was too expensive, and it dropped the car down a bit from stock, and stiffened the cornering.

58Driver
05-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Nice car, Bluejay. Congrats!

James740
05-02-2007, 10:59 PM
and they say there isn't a god...

BMWBluejay
05-03-2007, 06:06 AM
Very nice looking car! Is that the Light Poplar wood-grain? If so, I think that was definitely the right choice.

Also, if you want to think about modding the suspension, cmansbimmer over on the e60.net has taken his 2007 530xi down closer to the road by changing out some springs...maybe coil-overs, but I'm not sure. I don't think it was too expensive, and it dropped the car down a bit from stock, and stiffened the cornering.

Yes it is the Light Poplar. The pictures didn't do it justice, but it really is nice looking. I like the dark wood as well, but I had that in my 540 for 9 years. Thanks for the compliments.

newbimmer
05-03-2007, 06:39 AM
Congrats!
Great looking car, I actually have that color on my 2006.

stevepow
05-03-2007, 08:21 AM
On the chance that this might be interesting, I'm going to reformat it so I can read it...

I picked up my new 535xi a few hours ago. I've only put about 50 miles on it so far, so this is not a thorough review of the car, just my initial impressions in no particular order:

I really like the Space Gray color, I wasn't sure I would, but I think it's a great color and it will be easier to keep clean than my black 540 was.

This car is very quick and I think all my worries about going from a V8 to a 6 were unfounded. It feels every bit as quick as my 540 if not quicker***8212;but I need to drive it more to know for sure***8212;I really have not opened it up yet. The car rides beautifully-much better than my old 540, although a bit softer than my 540 which I expected coming from the M suspension***8212;with the xi***8217;s, you don***8217;t get the M suspension, even on the Sport models like mine. I think I'll find it an acceptable trade-off to have the standard suspension but also have AWD.

The interior is incredibly comfortable and I***8217;m impressed with the fit and finish quality. The 20-way adjustable seats are unbelievable***8212;do not buy this car without them***8212;especially if you have a bad back like I do.

Probably the coolest thing is the factory iPod adapter. It works extremely well, and the sound quality through the LOGIC 7 is excellent***8212;although the satellite radio quality has a bit to be desired but that***8217;s not the LOGIC 7***8217;s fault. My only complaint so far with the iPod adaptor is when you scroll through all the artists it can take a long time to get from A to Z if you have hundreds of artists like I do. If there***8217;s a setting to remedy this situation I have not yet found it.

The nav system seems very nice and capable, but I was hoping that the entire iDrive screen would be used***8212;I***8217;d say about 75***37; of the screen is used for the nav display***8212;still very acceptable.

I was very worried about liking the looks of the xi wheels. I really wanted 18***8221; wheels but I bought the AWD in the first place so I would not have to put on snow tires anymore. I***8217;m sure the car would look better with the 18s on it, but for now I***8217;m happy with the way the car looks. Here is a link to some pics I took of the car today. Thanks all.
-Bluejay

Ahh - much better. Nice report, great looking car - love the Space Gray.

lawbuz
05-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Congrats BlueJay - I picked up my 2008 535i last weekend and am really enjoying it. It's black on black with premium, cold, NAV and sat. I wish I would have gottend the IPOD adapter but BMW has a similar after-market feature.

I started a thread elsewhere on this site on my initial impressions.

I can start to feel the car hugging the road better every day.

Power is good, although the RPMs shoot up kinda high and gear shifting a little pronounced when accelerating somewhat quickly (not flooring it).

stream
05-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Nice--congrats.

lwall
05-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Beautiful car. I'm going to look this week-end. Why do you like the 20 way seats so much?

cwohughes
05-03-2007, 10:30 AM
BlueJay,

Car looks great, I'm expecting delivery on a 2008 myself around the end of May. I will post pics when it's in my driveway.

hamadani
05-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Nice car and great pictures.

Perhaps at some point you can elaborate more on your experience going from the V8 to the 535. I might have to do the same at some point.

BMWBluejay
05-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Beautiful car. I'm going to look this week-end. Why do you like the 20 way seats so much?

Theyre just so damn comfortable. I shouldn't bag on the regular seats, they're very good also, but the Comfort Seats are spectacular.

BMWBluejay
05-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Nice car and great pictures.

Perhaps at some point you can elaborate more on your experience going from the V8 to the 535. I might have to do the same at some point.

I'll do that.