PDA

View Full Version : Advice on changing to cold weather tires

58Driver
05-02-2007, 10:58 PM
At what point do you guys recommend changing from the high performance tires to winter tires? I am from a mostly warm weather area , have never really had to deal with snow, and I have never had to do it before. Although being stationed in North Carolina it does snow, and the roads do get icy now and again.

I have noticed that a lot of you opt for the Xi, and Bluejay said the reason was so he doesnt have to switch tires. Can you guys fill me in on what you "rule of thumb" is?

Thanks.

115sonic
05-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanksgiving is a good time to install winter tires, although the east coast frequently gets a few inches at that time.

Russ Williams
05-04-2007, 05:40 AM
My rule of thumb is not to drive my 545i in the snow or ice so I will not worry about changing to winter tires. Thankfully, we do not get much snow and ice here in Richmond and when we do it rarely stays around more than a couple of days. Since you are in NC I would recommend the same rule of thumb. Besides, do you really want the potential of body damage from ice and snow?

ademitt
05-04-2007, 06:47 AM
In our area, most people put their winter tires on in Mid October and take them off near the middle of April.