PDA

View Full Version : Found a New 2006 550i with 6 miles at the dealer?

Randy B12
05-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm calling on this in the morning. Can anyone think why a dealer would have a brand new never titled 2006 550i with 6 miles on it still in inventory???? It's a Black/Black with a MSRP of $67835.00. I wonder when the warranty starts as well.

I'll get some of this cleared up when they open.
Randy B

Russ Williams
05-04-2007, 06:32 AM
The warranty should start at the time of purchase. I have no clue why the dealer is still sitting on this vehicle. Even though there is not a big market for $68k luxury sport sedans, I would have thought the dealer would have offered some significant incentives to move this vehicle by now.

DanR960
05-04-2007, 08:20 AM
This is my first post to this board, and I just wanted you to make sure this car has not been in some body shop being repaired the last few months for an accident while in the hands of a sales person or on a test drive.

This very thing happened to a friend many years ago, about 3 years into owning the car, the white paint started to peel and revealed his "new" car with low miles was actually two new cars welded together.

Be very careful.

DanR

von_zoom
05-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Very strange. Difficult to project a reason. Look forward to any info you can share. I would doubt that the car has been damaged and it is being offered or presented as new, particularly if it is from a ligit BMW store.
vz

Jalli
05-04-2007, 08:29 AM
The car could have been used as a demonstrator, or simply have sat in the showroom for a long time...

z0lt3c
05-04-2007, 08:43 AM
My experience is normally vehicles like this might have had a minor flaw, maybe it got scratched coming off the transport truck or something, and the person who bought it refuses delivery and BMW goes and get them another one. In the meantime they take car of whatever was wrong with the original vehicle and when it's perfect again will put it back in their inventory.

I'd walk the exterior with a paint meter!!

Randy B12
05-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Shame on ALL Pro BMW of Ocala.

Classic Bait and Switch. Internet Sales manager called me today to confirm the interest in the 2006 BMW 550i with 6 miles and new. He then had one of his C/A's call me and I was informed the car was sold a year ago, however based on my particular options choice he had located a 2007 and 2008 model available for me to purchase or lease. He would be more than happy to setup a test drive as well.

It's crap like this that gives BMW Centers a bad name and car dealers as a whole a bad name.

All the hard work people like Adrian do, go out the window with idiots like this.

Here is the link from the ad I saw early this morning:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=198253292&dealer_id=3624090&car_year=2006&search_type=both&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=BMW&transmission=&model=550I&distance=300&make2=&address=32801&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&body_code=0&end_year=2006&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=2006&drive=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=65

Randy B

merklebob
05-04-2007, 09:25 AM
i'll say it again because it bears repeating. cost is not the only factor in buying a [expensive] car. will the dealer have good service and honesty [that also a two way street]. finding a good [usually independly owned] dealer can be worth thousands. dont find out the hard way.

Russ Williams
05-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Find a good broker...period!!

von_zoom
05-04-2007, 03:37 PM

Classic Bait and Switch. .

It's crap like this that gives BMW Centers a bad name and car dealers as a whole a bad name.

I agree. That is why I said that it sounded strange. Thanks for sharing.
vz

JSpira
05-04-2007, 07:47 PM
Find a good broker...period!!Ja, that makes sense - add a middleman so you pay even more. :dunno: whilst at the same time rendering yourself ineligible for the BMW CCA member reward check.

Russ Williams
05-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Ja, that makes sense - add a middleman so you pay even more. :dunno: whilst at the same time rendering yourself ineligible for the BMW CCA member reward check.

I am not talking about buying a brand new vehicle. Obviously if that is what your heart desires then a dealer is your only option. However, I prefer to let some other sucker eat the 15% for the privileage of driving off the dealer's lot. Oh yeah, I just purchased an '05 545i in immaculate condition for $7K less than the best price I could find from a dealer.

115sonic
05-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Title will tell you if it was previously owned.

6 miles on it says no prev owner.

BMW dealer would not have disconnected odometer.

You can check edges of body panels to see if it has been repainted. Rough bumps give away that clue.

If used car dept is selling it, then there is a question.

Or, many top end body shops (including BMW) have a digital gauge to measure thickness of paint on any body panel.

If car had been damaged in shipping, dealer is required to notify you in writing if above a certain amount (used to be $1000).

I have bought tons of personal cars, and I would not have any concern about buying this one. Certainly, I would want to drive it, check out the paint, the body panel edges, the underside of the car, the tires, etc. I have seen some dealers sit on one or two cars for 18 months before they sold.

Take someone with you to check it out. Problem is that dealer will not want to sell it below his cost, which is probably about what he pays for an 07. I doubt that there is any factory incentive for him on an 06. You could likely do just as well on an 07. That seems more like the real answer to why this vehicle has not sold.

TCB
05-05-2007, 08:13 AM

Classic Bait and Switch. Internet Sales manager called me today to confirm the interest in the 2006 BMW 550i with 6 miles and new. He then had one of his C/A's call me and I was informed the car was sold a year ago . . .

I would contact Autotrader.com and inform them that the dealer is advertising a vehicle that is no longer available. I'd be willing to bet that's a violation of their TOS.

I wonder if the customer that bought it would be happy knowing that their dealer is still listing their car for sale.

stevepow
05-06-2007, 08:59 AM
My guess it that it is an advert that just didn't get pulled as an oversight.

Can anyone think why a dealer would have a brand new never titled 2006 550i with 6 miles on it still in inventory???

Your gut instinct was that it wasn't true and it is not - doesn't seem like that big of deal to me - just a mistake somewhere.

villajoe
05-06-2007, 09:53 AM
i dont know if i would call it a bait and switch...$68k isn't a discounted price is it? can't you duplicate the options on an 07 and come fairly close that price?

Randy B12
05-06-2007, 02:28 PM
The ad listed a VIN number and a picture of the window sticker.

Randy B

villajoe
05-07-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm just saying it would be more of a bait and switch if they listed it for a low ball price like $50k, just to get people to call them....and then tell them they didn't have the car any more.

But at $68k, you can get an 07. And if it's $1k or $2k more than the 06, is it that big of a deal on top of $68k?