PDA

View Full Version : 2010 BMW 5 Series Revealed

bimmerguy288
05-04-2007, 08:36 AM
FWIW, from Motorauthority.com today:

When you think of luxury executive saloons, one car always comes to mind – the BMW 5-series. A class leader since its inception, the 5-series remains a crucial car to BMW. With the current E60 5-series introduced back in 2004, BMW is preparing the sixth-generation model to be revealed in 2010.

It will be a tough job for the designers as well as the thousands of engineers working across BMW’s development centers to renew the current model, a car that already resides at the edge of the technical front line. The new design is critical for BMW’s design manager Adrian van Hooydonk and his team, who have to create an exterior that radiates the brand’s distinctive design values and at the same time feels new and fresh. Using information from various sources, these renderings were compiled by our partners over at Sweden’s Auto Motor and Sport and their illustrator Radovan Varicak, giving us a preview of what the final version will look like.

The front-end will likely feature a more upright kidney grille in order to comply with stronger pedestrian protection laws, while the headlights won’t be stretched out like on the current model. BMW’s characteristic interaction between convex and concave shapes will still be emphasized, and will be clearly indicated in the engine hood’s lines. The rear roofline and C-pillar connects more fluidly to the trunk lid, which is now devoid of the ‘Bangle-butt’ that was so universally derided with the E60 model. Parts of the tail-lights continue onto the trunk lid in order to strengthen the impression of width. We must say, this design is very pleasing and if BMW’s car looks anything like this, we sure it’ll lure back any customers loss to its rivals because of the controversial styling of the former E60.

Follow the jump to see the full car from both the front and rear.

The new 5-series is being built off an entirely new chassis, with double wishbones in the front, like on the new X5. The move is designed to give better control and road grip around corners, according to the chassis engineers. With the aid of the extremely fast Flex-Ray automotive network communications protocol, the adaptive shock absorbers is set to become more effective, as will active steering. BMW will also be updating its iDrive system for the new 5-series, making life a little easier with the addition of yet another pair of programmable buttons.

Those that think the standard 5-series isn’t sporty enough will have to wait for a few more years until the new M5 turns up with its V10 motor and more power than the 507hp offered in today’s edition. The M version will be the only 5-series model offered with a new dual clutch gearbox (similar to VW’s DSG technology). The standard version will instead be fitted with an 8-speed automatic transmission that will take the fight to Lexus. This gearbox is being developed by ZF, which will also manufacture a new four wheel drive system that will feature in the new Five. A new 5-series wouldn’t be complete without the introduction of more electronic driver’s aids, and this time BMW is bringing “Dynamic Performance Control” to the table. The system actively distributes torque between the wheels, depending on how the car acts during a turn. The result is increased security and the ability to handle larger side forces. The new differential will also come in the new 3-series and potentially even the 1-series as an option.

A full-hybrid system, featuring an electric motor in parallel with an engine, is not currently planned for the new 5-series, which instead is likely to feature the same system already used in the 1-series. This “light-hybrid” system consists of an electric starter motor that’s connected to the crankshaft and can function as both a generator and a propulsion system, spinning the engine during initial off the line acceleration. The “light-hybrid” will be available in both diesel and petrol versions and expect a new V8 diesel engine to make its debut in the next-gen model.
The “two-mode” hybrid transmission that was developed by BMW together with General Motors and DaimlerChrysler is mostly aimed at bigger vehicles such as trucks and SUVs. The design features dual motors, and an advanced control system that can allow both engines can be turned on simultaneously, and to regenerate electric power during braking.

This two-mode system, however, is not currently planned for the next generation 5-series, although BMW has not eliminated the possibility that a similar technology can be added towards the end of the model’s life cycle. We’ll have to make do with the “light hybrid” at the moment since BMW feels it has already succeeded in heavily reducing the fuel consumption of their engines. However, it remains to be seen whether or not BMW will be able to reach the EU’s new requirements for average CO2 emissions of 130g/km by 2012.

"

Fünfer
05-04-2007, 09:35 AM
The renderings of the car look almost vulgar, as in too sporty/aggressive/muscular. The car loses a great deal of refinement and understatement. They are, again, only renderings, and I doubt the stance of the actual vehicle will be that aggressive. Taillights remind me too much of the new 3 series coupe, and the clear portion of the taillights needs to be larger as it is in the current model (and previous model) to add flair. In general it's very Acura TL-like :thumbdwn:

In general it looks blander too. The E60 took a while to adjust to, but it is a beautiful machine (whereas I personally continue to find the new 7 series to be grotesque). The previous 5-series still looks beautiful; the interesting thing is that the old 5 series, when I see it, doesn't come across to me as outdated like most previous generations of cars. It just comes off as a very different car altogether.

Rmart
05-04-2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW/5/Spy/BMW5MY2011_bak_stor.jpg

http://www.motorauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/BMW/5/Spy/BMW5MY2011_front_stor.jpg

LI E90
05-04-2007, 09:41 AM
WOW, If it looks half as good as that it would be amazing

bimmerguy288
05-04-2007, 09:47 AM
I may or may not get a 5er for my next car but I like the look personally.

mullman
05-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I was an E39 driver who disliked the E60 at first.
Now I drive an E60 and like it.

The pix RMart posted look pretty good to me actually...muscular.

58Driver
05-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Wow. If it does look like that, sign me up. Looks like the 3 on steroids...

bimmerguy288
05-04-2007, 10:24 AM

Stay safe, brother. God bless.

gbelton
05-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Looks Nice, I Like It.:D

Russ Williams
05-04-2007, 10:54 AM
Looks good to me but I also liked the current design from day one. I would hope the hood lines will not be this bold/deep as I think they are too much.

klu123
05-04-2007, 11:27 AM
IHO, it looks much better than E60. Well, 2010 or 2011 is just too far to wait.

zen68
05-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I think it looks great!

Vitacura
05-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Wow.. I may just go back to the 5 series after all!

James740
05-04-2007, 03:41 PM
damn, appealing-shame we have to wait til '10! looks beefy as hell, lol

bimmerguy288
05-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Dark colors would make those beautiful lines hard to see, no?

mvallido
05-04-2007, 04:52 PM

+10000

bimmerguy288
05-04-2007, 05:39 PM
You stay safe too, brother. Thank you for being there. Sometimes I feel ashamed talking about BMWs while you folks are risking your lives there.

jetjock07
05-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Hope the 2010 looks at least very close to that. I like the new 08's, but the 2010 looks real sporty. Wish they would make the e39's again with all the new technology included. :mad:

aficionado
05-04-2007, 07:40 PM
Everything will look tame compared to the current 5 series.

As for That design. I just saw it at the Lexus Dealer. You can get one right now.

Can you say GS?? Actually, I like a sedan to look like a sedan, not a hatch back.

James740
05-04-2007, 10:48 PM
i don't feel it, bro~the GS has a completely different feel to me-agree with you on the current 5 tho, thats a hot car. get me one of them in awd, lol

itzeug
05-04-2007, 11:02 PM
omg its even worse than the current one =(

James740
05-04-2007, 11:07 PM
not a fan, i presume? lol

jcatral14
05-05-2007, 05:06 AM
...disliked the E60 at first.
Now I drive an E60 and like it....

+1

I would be very, very surprised if it looked anything like that.

Dr. C
05-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Looks it up and down and says "hmm...I'll take it." Finally, they got it right, if these pictures are right. I own the E39 but hated the look of the E60 but will be first in line to buy this one, if these pictures hold true.

SJAPoc
05-05-2007, 12:20 PM
Thi is one hot looking car! I Want One Now :D

Jalli
05-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Would not mind a 550 that looks like that being my next car..

ProRail
05-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Just keeps getting better and better.

wagonman
05-08-2007, 03:55 PM
the final product often looks quite different from the early renditions although they may give us a clue as to where bmw is headed. i will be back in the market around 2010 and frankly will be giving the next generation mercedes e-class a good hard look. i, unlike many others on this board think that the mercedes e class is a formidable competitor to our beloved 5 series. i also think that mb is trying very hard to overcome the recent repair/reliability issues that have hurt their brand. it will be a very interesting comparison. frankly for me alot of it will come down to exterior styling.

ansetou
05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Everything will look tame compared to the current 5 series.

As for That design. I just saw it at the Lexus Dealer. You can get one right now.

Can you say GS?? Actually, I like a sedan to look like a sedan, not a hatch back.

I disagree. I think it looks like the IS.