PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Black or Space Grey

casper
05-04-2007, 09:45 AM
This is a most difficult decision, I placed my order for Carbon Black even tough I am not a fan of black cars (never clean).

I have a 2004 545i titanium silver but need a change, I have narrowed the color choices down to Carbon Black/Alpine White/Silver Gray

I am having second toughts with CB, but the silver grey is kind of weird, it looks OK in some pictures but in others it looks kind of flat with greenish hues.

Do you think Space Grey will be as easy as Titanium Silver to keep clean? It is darker that Silver.

mickbimmer
05-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I have ordered the 535i in Space Gray & Cream.

I recently saw a 5 for the first time in person in Space gray.
I thought it looked kind of flat. I like the old Silver Gray
much better. I am still indecided on how much I like it.
I hate to reorder. I saw it in a parking deck. Maybe it will look
better out in the sun.

I do think SPG will be much easier to care for than the darker colors,
but nothing is as easy to keep looking clean as the TiAg or White.

Mick

HPIA4v2
05-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I'll take that one. It offers some exclusiveness to your 550i since I think space-grey will be so common. BTW, most of 07 X5 I've seen on the roads are also space grey.
Yes the space-grey is a bit darker than the old silver.

lwall
05-04-2007, 11:39 AM
you can't go wrong with white. It's a great look on the 5 series.

JHRI50
05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I do believe that you can only get Carbon Black on a 550I Sport....or at least I have been told.

1994_RX-7_Tour
05-04-2007, 01:04 PM
I have a 550i / Sport / Carbon Black on order for ED this fall.

Carbon Black is only available on the 2008 LCI 550i w/Sport Package. True statement. I've seen it twice now - once in Richmond VA under both showroom lighting and sunset lighting outside, 2nd time was yesterday under sunny afternoon skies at BMW in Newport RI.

Under the showroom fluorescent bright lights and in bright afternoon sunlight - the blue metallic really comes off strongly. In shade it looks almost totally black, but with the low sunset light, I actually saw some bluish/purple hues reflected. Pretty awesome I say.

The color I've NOT seen yet? Deep Sea Blue in the LCI 5-series.... but pretty sure I'll stay with the CB now.

Kamdog
05-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Im shopping color right now, and I wont rest until I see them live. I am interested in seeing the new blue, and am going tomorrow. I also want to see the bronze, but havent much hope there. IMO, you must see them live.

jschulman
05-04-2007, 09:23 PM
Im shopping color right now, and I wont rest until I see them live. I am interested in seeing the new blue, and am going tomorrow. I also want to see the bronze, but havent much hope there. IMO, you must see them live.

You probably won't have a chance to see bronze in person until sometime in July as that color starts in June production. You can see it on models other than the 5 though.

JHRI50
05-07-2007, 03:54 PM
I just purchased the '08 550I Carbon Black from the dealer in Newport, RI. The color is great. It looks blue during the day and black at night as previously stated in this post. The car is beautiful in this color and I'm sure for the time being I will not see another one..which makes it even better!!

Mac Daddy
05-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Of course all of these color choices are purely subjective, so take everyone's opinion as just that. So....

I did see a Carbon Black 550i in person at a local dealer for the first time over the weekend. Let me just say: it was STUNNING. I realize that it will be difficult to keep clean, but I could not be happier with my choice. My wife was with me, and she loved it as well. Definitely try to see one in person before you decide.

PalmTreeMD
05-07-2007, 05:28 PM
I have a 550i / Sport / Carbon Black on order for ED this fall.

The color I've NOT seen yet? Deep Sea Blue in the LCI 5-series.... but pretty sure I'll stay with the CB now.

I am planning on ordering a 535 this summer and I was torn between the Black Sapphire & Deep Sea Blue. I went to my local dealer last week and they had a Deep Sea Blue 550 that was gorgeous:yikes:

That's what I'm going with. I love the CB (almost bought a used E39 M5 one), but can't get it on a 535.

1994_RX-7_Tour
05-08-2007, 05:00 AM
I am planning on ordering a 535 this summer and I was torn between the Black Sapphire & Deep Sea Blue. I went to my local dealer last week and they had a Deep Sea Blue 550 that was gorgeous:yikes:

That's what I'm going with. I love the CB (almost bought a used E39 M5 one), but can't get it on a 535.

How about some pics when you can?

fourfourtwo
05-08-2007, 07:33 PM
I own a carbon black 2003 M3. I chose the color since my previous car was Titanium Silver and I also wanted something different. The carbon black looks awesome when clean and in the sun. Plus its a unique color. But, the paint is EXTREMELY difficult to keep clean. If I had to do it over, then I'd go for silver again or white. If you haven't seen white...

http://users.pandora.be/europrojektz/index3.html