PDA

View Full Version : Clear Bra for my 2008 550i

NVJeff
05-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Curious who has installed the clear bra on their cars and how they have liked it. I did not buy this from the dealer but am considering as an aftermarket from a detailer.

Hadn't thought about this before but would this cause any concern in a lease return? Seems pretty pricey ($700-900 if I remember correctly).

Am also considering tinting the windows.

By the way the 2008 550i is absolutely superb. It is so tight and so light on its feet as to defy description for a car of this size...

citygirl
05-04-2007, 06:24 PM
I just had Autobahnd applied to my two week old 535xiT and it's great. The car is Sapphire Black and it barely shows. I took the car to my detailer right after for a wash and he was very impressed with what a great job they'd done. With a black car and the amount of rocks and sand that we have on our roads in New England, it was a no brainer for me. I paid $695. My dealer made the arrangements and the guy came to the dealership to do the application. It took about an hour.

Roleez
05-04-2007, 06:35 PM
I have a contact for you if you're interested. I noticed you live in Napa Valley. If you're interested, give this guy a call. He's based out of Santa Rosa and can possibly drive to where you live to work on your car. He worked on my '06 550 and did an awesome job. He's done several E60s with and w/o the M-kit. I paid a little over $600. Tell him Roel sent you. Cheers.

INVISIGUARD AUTOMOTIVE PAINT PROTECTION
Jeremy Gomez, Film Sales/Installation
707-328-5865

stevepow
05-04-2007, 07:05 PM
I did it full front on my car - glad I did. A year later and no pits from road debris. On a dark car, it seems like a good thing to do.

115sonic
05-04-2007, 09:19 PM
I like 3m product because of 5 yr warr. Have an installer do it for you. Very diff to install.

fp60
05-05-2007, 07:59 AM
Any idea of installers in the South Florida area or a website to check on it please!?
Thanks!

BMWBluejay
05-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Curious who has installed the clear bra on their cars and how they have liked it. I did not buy this from the dealer but am considering as an aftermarket from a detailer.

Hadn't thought about this before but would this cause any concern in a lease return? Seems pretty pricey ($700-900 if I remember correctly).

Am also considering tinting the windows.

By the way the 2008 550i is absolutely superb. It is so tight and so light on its feet as to defy description for a car of this size...

I just had a clear bra installed on my new 535xi. My car is Space Gray. I did the hood and the side mirrors for $250 at a reputable shop. I wouldn't do the entire front bomber. that material (non metal) is made to withstand bugs and rocks and really doesn't need it IMHO. Also, I would not go through the dealer for this--all they do is outsource it locally and mark it up.

stevepow
05-06-2007, 09:58 AM
I just had a clear bra installed on my new 535xi. My car is Space Gray. I did the hood and the side mirrors for $250 at a reputable shop. I wouldn't do the entire front bomber. that material (non metal) is made to withstand bugs and rocks and really doesn't need it IMHO. Also, I would not go through the dealer for this--all they do is outsource it locally and mark it up.

I have to disagree. I did the full front after getting the front of my previous black M5 pulverized over 4 years. The front my not be metal - but that has little to do with anything. It is still painted and the paint will chip when hit by road debris. Because it is plastic, it also can scratch, scar, and scuff - possibly worse than metal.

My dealer just hooks customers up with Stonex and you deal with them directly - they don't mark it up.

Roleez
05-06-2007, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't do the entire front bomber. that material (non metal) is made to withstand bugs and rocks and really doesn't need it IMHO.

After a year and a half, the front end of my Dinan5 is still showroom perfect. I guarantee your new bumper will not be flawless after a good month of highway driving.

Ågent99
05-06-2007, 09:16 PM
Folks,

Check out www.xpel.com (http://www.xpel.com) -- they'll have a list of installers for your area.

BMWBluejay
05-07-2007, 08:11 AM
After a year and a half, the front end of my Dinan5 is still showroom perfect. I guarantee your new bumper will not be flawless after a good month of highway driving.

You have a good point--I may have gotten bad advise on this one. I need to reconsider--I may have to go back for the rest of the job. Thanks.

Jed Peters
05-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Jeff:

The Appearance Solutions guys use the 3M product, the highest quality.

I would recommend doing the "whole thing" that we spoke about before....but I know Roleez and know he wouldn't steer you wrong either.

Roleez
05-07-2007, 11:12 AM
I know Roleez and know he wouldn't steer you wrong either.

:thumbup: