PDA

View Full Version : 535 driving impressions

rbmw
05-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Just came back from a week long trip in Germany, where I had a chance to drive my new 535i from Munich to Heidelberg and Frankfurt. Initial impressions: first I was surprised by how supple the car is. I opted for the sport package and thought that the car would be somewhat harsh. Not so! The autobahn from Munich to Stuttgart has many uneven surfaces in the (many) construction areas, and the car felt very smooth and absorbed bumps easily. :thumbup:

Must say that the car is very quiet! Iíve driven a GS 350, and I dare to say that the Bimmer is as quiet. Performance: nice torque in the midrange, very smooth and even power band, and couldnít detect any turbo lag (which I personally donít mind, BTW). My previous car was a Volvo S60R with an aftermarket chip, and the 535 is much smoother.

However, I donít think it is exceptionally fast, especially 0-40; in comparison to the 550i Iíve driven last year, the 535i simply isnít as fast from a standstill, but will probably keep up at 60-100 or so. Perhaps it had to do with the fact that the engine was not "broken in" yet, and I also didnít want to be too aggressive with it either.

Fit and finish- beautiful! Again, as good or even better than a Lexus IMHO Ė which still feels very ďJapaneseĒ to me. Definitely nicer than an Infiniti M

iDrive: was concerned about it, and I must say that Iím not sure why it gets such negative reviews. Took me 5 minutes to understand how to basically operate it, and in less then 15 minutes I felt very comfortable with it. . iPod integration is seamless with standard USB cable, though it didnít show playlists, just genres, albums and artists. Blackberry 8700 connected quickly with Bluetooth, but the car couldnít be paired with my RAZR (which is an older generation one).

The most frustrating part: now I have to wait 6-8 weeks for itÖ.:-( But very happy overall!

Many thanks to members of this board for all the useful information, I look forward to sharing additional impressions in the future.

535iTT
05-05-2007, 07:01 PM
I know bmw is way better then infiniti ever will. G37 may be comparable, but the interior still looks weak. I bet once a tune comes out for 535i it wont have that slow start. I noticed that too but as soon as 40 reached I was allready up to 100pmh. It took a lil bit to get to 40 though. I do think its cause its brand new. I could tell a little.

535iTT
05-05-2007, 07:01 PM
How come you didnt order the sport auto paddle shifter?

GSIRM3
05-06-2007, 08:40 AM

Not available yet , is it?

BMWSTL
05-06-2007, 08:59 AM

Not available until June production.

Lou

jcatral14
05-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Congrats :)
Now the wait begins...:rofl:

lawbuz
05-07-2007, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=rbmw;2355895]However, I donít think it is exceptionally fast, especially 0-40; in comparison to the 550i Iíve driven last year, the 535i simply isnít as fast from a standstill, but will probably keep up at 60-100 or so. Perhaps it had to do with the fact that the engine was not "broken in" yet, and I also didnít want to be too aggressive with it either.

QUOTE]

I have the same comment about my new 535i. It seemed really quick from 0-60 a couple of times (less than 5.6 secs), but seemed to drag at other times. Question -- Is this due to the car not being completely broken-in? Could me pushing the car a little bit the first 100mph (up to 85mph but not redlining) adversely affect acceleration right away?

rbmw
05-08-2007, 10:23 AM
it eerily reminds me of my Volvo S60 R, which demonstrates a different temperament that seem to sway with the temperature outside, gas quality and other unexplained factors.... Turbo engines in general are more sensitive than NA engines, but I don't expect a state of the art engine such as the one in the 535i to demonstrate that kind of schizophrenia... letís give it some time and weíll see.

jacksonhunter31
05-09-2007, 08:05 PM
I have to disagree...I think the car had a lot of torque and accel right from zero. It felt (completely non-scientifically) faster than 5.6 zero to 60. I had a non-sport auto which surprsied me with its quickness and acceleration over 1300 miles..