PDA

View Full Version : 2007 550i Sound under car after driving hard

PaidByPoker
05-05-2007, 05:13 PM
I have a 2007 550i SMG, it's got about 1000 miles and after driving it hard i can hear a sound coming from under the car that sounds like a faint cracking sound like stepping on an aluminum can or something, it continues making the sound for a few minutes after shutting the car off.

There are no lights or anything, is this some kinda normal weird sound?

I'm obviously calling the dealership monday about it

philippek@IrvineBMW
05-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Various metal parts cooling, more common in new cars, and usually coming from the cats.

MSAMMY
05-05-2007, 07:54 PM
I have a 2007 550i SMG, it's got about 1000 miles and after driving it hard i can hear a sound coming from under the car that sounds like a faint cracking sound like stepping on an aluminum can or something, it continues making the sound for a few minutes after shutting the car off.

There are no lights or anything, is this some kinda normal weird sound?

Are you kidding? 1000 miles and you're driving it hard? Please tell me that's a typo and you have 10K miles on it. You should be driving a 1000 mile car according to your break-in info in the owner's manual. Anyway, I have 8K on my 550i and after hard driving, it makes the same metallic cooling/crackling noise after shutting down. It's the cat converters and exhaust system cooling down, no big deal and perfectly normal. :thumbup:

115sonic
05-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Time for a new one, anyway!!

PaidByPoker
05-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Are you kidding? 1000 miles and you're driving it hard? Please tell me that's a typo and you have 10K miles on it. You should be driving a 1000 mile car according to your break-in info in the owner's manual. Anyway, I have 8K on my 550i and after hard driving, it makes the same metallic cooling/crackling noise after shutting down. It's the cat converters and exhaust system cooling down, no big deal and perfectly normal. :thumbup:

2 Year lease, who cares about that breakin nonsense

stevepow
05-06-2007, 09:51 AM

So you would abuse the car and then call the dealer and complain? :dunno: Surely another typo. :confused:

Vitacura
05-06-2007, 12:01 PM

What a *********.. :thumbdwn:
I don't understand how people can care less about taking care of their cars. Even more so if they admit it.. :tsk:
This is one reason why I don't buy pre-owned cars and just lease new.

von_zoom
05-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Sad story. But to each his own.
vz

AzNMpower32
05-06-2007, 05:14 PM
The break-in debate is an old one, and this isn't the place to start another one. Then again, there is the SMG.......

Anyway, the crackling noise is normal. In fact, my X3 does this almost all the time when I turn the car off after a long drive.........doesn't even seem different whether I drive it easy or hard.

quackbury
05-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Various metal parts cooling, more common in new cars, and usually coming from the cats.

I find the exact nature of the sound depends on what type of small animal has come in contact with the exhaust system. In my experience, cats make more of a squealing sound. while squirrels tend to go "pop". Since the OP said it sounds like aluminum cans, my bet is that it is a large rodent - sort of like an E60 owner who would ignore the break-in period.

PS If the OP is still reading this thread, I hope he realizes that he voided the warranty be ignoring the break-in requirements, and that this information is stored in the car's computer. Hope he throws a rod bearing. :thumbup: