PDA

View Full Version : New '08 528i - Speaker Trouble (Help Requested)

rjucks
05-06-2007, 06:57 PM
In under two weeks, I have gone through two door speakers - neither of which were my fault. My initial assumption was that it was just a blown speaker, but I'm starting to second guess that. It seems no matter what music I play, regardless of the bass level and volume it does the same thing. Everything will sound fine for a few miles then all of a sudden the bass will drop completely out of all speakers, and when it returns the driver side door speaker sounds SUPER distorted (makes a grumbling/ gurgling noise). It will do this for awhile then it will stop...then it will start back up. It is very intermittent. Can I get a second opinion on what is causing this and any suggestions are more than welcome.

As a side note, I purchased the vehicle on 5/26 and that evening it starting doing it. I got the speaker replaced last Thursday and it started an hour after I left the dealership...

stream
05-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Since there are issues with all the speakers, it sounds like (pardon the pun...) the amp / head unit.

GolferEngineer
05-07-2007, 04:27 AM
Yep, Stream has it right. It is the head unit/amplifier. But it also could involve the wiring between the head unit and the speaker. So, don't be surprized if the head unit is changed and the problem persists.

SteVTEC
05-07-2007, 07:08 AM
Is this with the base system or Logic 7?

rjucks
05-07-2007, 07:40 AM
The base system.

BMWNA
05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
In under two weeks, I have gone through two door speakers - neither of which were my fault. My initial assumption was that it was just a blown speaker, but I'm starting to second guess that. It seems no matter what music I play, regardless of the bass level and volume it does the same thing. Everything will sound fine for a few miles then all of a sudden the bass will drop completely out of all speakers, and when it returns the driver side door speaker sounds SUPER distorted (makes a grumbling/ gurgling noise). It will do this for awhile then it will stop...then it will start back up. It is very intermittent. Can I get a second opinion on what is causing this and any suggestions are more than welcome.

As a side note, I purchased the vehicle on 5/26 and that evening it starting doing it. I got the speaker replaced last Thursday and it started an hour after I left the dealership...

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.

rjucks
05-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Seriously? I'm a little disappointed at the matter. The dealer has been working with me on this, but then again it's a new car so I guess that should be expected. I was told I have to wait 7-10 days for some module to get in. I've actually been dodging the survey phone call because I'm not real sure what I want to tell them. It's been an interesting first experience so far.

stevepow
05-18-2007, 08:19 AM
The good news is that driving around and listening to all the car sounds, engine and all, without covering them up with music is a good thing to do. At least I think it is good to know what the car sounds like when it is working well. And those in-line 6's have a very cool sound anyway - can be very pleasing to drive to :drive: .

rjucks
05-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Haha. I guess there's always a silver lining...sigh...

quackbury
05-18-2007, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the 'Fest!

Not that it's going to make you feel a whole lot better just now, but most of us have been hanging out on this board for a while, and I can't recall EVER having seen this particular complaint before. So it's not something that's endemic to the car.

Sounds like Hans or Franz had a little too much schnapps one night, and made a bad module the next day, which got plunked into your car. BMWUSA will sort it out (I think you set a world record for quickest Vatkens response), and you'll be loving your ride in no time.

If you need some solace in the interim, hop on over to the E93 board and check out the fuel pump saga. Your speaker / amp / module problem will seem pretty insignificant in comparison. Good luck!

love330i
05-23-2007, 02:20 PM
BMW owner loves to got into problems! I love my BMW because problems all the time!

rjucks
06-08-2007, 07:50 PM
- UPDATE -

In an attempt to vent a little frustration, I would like to update you all to the status of my initial post. I have had what I hope is a very anomalous experience with my service department and respective service advisor. I'm trying extremely hard not to bring any negative publicty to the dealership with regards to this messageboard and others, but I am becoming increasingly disappointed with the service and I feel that people should be informed of a dealership's customer service.

Anyways here goes...To date, I have had to pursue answers to any questions or updates on the problem with my car. I did find out about a month ago that the problem stems from a component in the MOST system. Having full confidence in the technician and service advisor, I didn't bother digging into the details but they apparently figured out what the problem was. I was told that they would have to order the part and that it would take 7-10 days for it to arrive. Giving them an additional few days beyond the 10 days (due to Memorial Day weekend) I decided to call them to get an update. Unexpectedly, I reached my service advisor on the first try and he placed me on hold to figure out what was going on, quoting "It should have come in by now." When he returned he told me that he would need to contact his parts manager and would call me back by the end of the day to let me know what he found out. I had to call him the following morning because he hadn't called yet, and I ended up leaving a voicemail. I waited a day and no reply. I called the person that sold me the car, and left him a voicemail and I received no reply from him as well. Needless to say I was still expected to pay my monthly note on time for a car that was not properly functioning. On a positive note, I was contacted by a BMWNA rep during those few days. I told them my experience and they promised they would get to the bottom of it and call me back. Again, no reply from anybody and again disappointed. I finally had to contact two different service managers one of which did not reply to a voicemail I left. The service manager that did call me back connected me with my service advisor who apologized for not having called me back , but promised he hadn't forgotten about me. He told me the part they needed was on "backorder" and wouldn't be "released" until later this month and that he would contact me in the middle of this month (June) to let me know when it came in. Incidentally, I have to keep reminding myself that this defect was not caused by me, but in fact was a flaw in the car when purchased. At any rate, I'm disappointed by the service so far, and I was curious if those of you have actually received good to excellent service purchased a special customer service plan in addition to your car note. If so, which one so I can do the same? While I realize things happen and nothing is perfect, the utter lack of communication and/ or compassion for this paticular issue is unacceptable in my opinion. We have been aware of the speaker problem since the day after I purchased the car. Perhaps I'm expecting too much? (As an aside, this is not the only negative experience I have experienced in regards to my service advisor in the short month and half span that I have had my car. But for all intent and purpose I will stick to the subject of this thread.)

quackbury
06-08-2007, 08:02 PM
Sorry to hear of your service experience. It IS anomalous - not that that will make you feel any better.

We've had a bunch of running problems (do a search for "steering position sensor", almost all of which have been traced to a bad bunch of parts from a supplier. The story you're getting about a new part not being "released" yet would seem to fit that pattern.

I have not heard of similar problems with the base stereo on '04 through '07 E60's, so maybe they changed a part / supplier inthe '08's. Hang inthere - they will make it right for you.

GolferEngineer
06-09-2007, 05:21 AM
I'm on your side and I've had more than my share of service problems - most of which have been caused by the irresponsible mechanics and too many assumptions. Last month, May, I didn't have to visit the service department! I've averaged about once a month for over a year - it doesn't have to be this way. I expected top notch service from BMW since it is a luxury brand but it is only sugar coated. The service advisors are polite, etc. but no one really checks up on the work or mechanics until there is a problem.

I think it is inexcusable for you to still have this problem. I prefer to go to the dealership in person than use the phone - the squeeky wheel gets the grease as they say.

Good luck!

PS
Maybe what we need on this forum is a service that will translate our letters into German so we can forward them directly to BMW!

rjucks
06-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Haha. Good point. So you've been up there pretty regularly too? I had been up there once a week for the first month, so I figured everyone needed a break from me. If I don't hear anything by the middle of June, there won't be anymore phone calls it will definitely be in person visits. Luckily the dealership is 5 mins away from where I live and I am completely free for the next 2 months heh.

stevepow
06-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Haha. Good point. So you've been up there pretty regularly too? I had been up there once a week for the first month, so I figured everyone needed a break from me. If I don't hear anything by the middle of June, there won't be anymore phone calls it will definitely be in person visits. Luckily the dealership is 5 mins away from where I live and I am completely free for the next 2 months heh.

Just noticed you are in ATL. Where are you going for service? I had a year long issue with my previous M5 going to my "old" service center- visit after vist with no solution. My CA had transferred to United Roswell and I mentioned the problem to him. He hooked me up with an SA there and in one visit they had fixed what was a very simple yet annoying problem. I bought my 550i there and they have been superlative - yet I have not seen them for many months now. :) :( - I miss them - I have to think of something to buy at parts to force myself to drop by and say hello. ;)

At any rate, I hope United Roswell is not where you are having the problem, and if it is not, maybe a change of venue is worth trying.

mdurnwald
06-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Steve,

Who is your SA in Roswell?

I live very close to United BMW & need to find a good SA (I'm picking up my 535i next week in Munich!).

Thanks

rjucks
06-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Rest assured, it isn't United Roswell. I won't start naming names yet as I'm hoping they will make right by my awful experience so far, but let's just say the dealership I purchased from is a fairly popular one located in Atlanta. A classmate of mine who ordered a 335 a few months ago warned me against them as he found them less than helpful when he was trying to purchase his car (he ultimately ordered it elsewhere), but I decided to give them a fair shot due to their popularity and close proximity to my house. My purchasing experience was quite positive, but that is starting to pale in comparison to my service experience thus far.

stevepow
06-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Steve,

Who is your SA in Roswell?

I live very close to United BMW & need to find a good SA (I'm picking up my 535i next week in Munich!).

Thanks

See my PM to you.

callmehagop
06-13-2007, 03:59 PM
i have a 2007 525i and i am having the same problem with the base. it keeps pausing and going back on. the base is on the lowest and it still does it especially when it is on max volume. i took it to bmw multiple times and they told me that in 2006 they put a block on the amplifier so that if it gets to hot it will pause to keep it from over heating. I still think something is wrong and am still trying to get to the bottom of this but dont want to annoy the service adviser to much...

rjucks
06-22-2007, 11:08 PM
- UPDATE #2 -
I'm back again with another update regarding the issue in my initial post. Almost two weeks ago (it will be two weeks this coming Wednesday) I turned my car in to the dealership so that they could look at an issue I was having with my SOS call system. Turns out that issue was a result of me using an unapproved phone with my BMW's Bluetooth function. In any event, the part that would fix my speaker trouble came in during that time so they spent the majority of the time installing and configuring it. My Service Advisor, who has been a little more compassionate about my problem(s) lately, informed today that they were unable to install the new part because it crashed after several attempts. He offered me the opportunity to pick up my car tomorrow (Saturday) if I wanted while they reordered the part. I told him thanks and that I would like to pick the car up tomorrow. About 30 minutes later he calls back and gives me the unfortunate news that when they tried to reinstall the old part, it also crashed and that I would in fact not be able to pick up my car tomorrow and he would have to talk to his Part Manager on Monday to see what they can do to help me out.

So just to recap, I purchased my 2008 528i on March 26th. March 27th, I informed the dealer about the speaker trouble. Once the problem was finally diagnosed, they had to order the part from Germany. This brings us to my latest post where I am currently still paying my monthly payments for my new 5 series, but I am driving a 2007 3 series. All due to a problem that was caused in manufacturing and not by me... Anyways, the purpose of this post was to take a simple poll from you all to see what you all thought about the matter. Depending on what my Service Advisor and his Parts Manager can come up with to make me feel better about all of this, I am toying with the idea of pursuing legal action since the car has been in the shop almost as long as I have had it. At this point, waiting will not suffice, but if that is my only option then I shouldn't have to pay for a car that does not fully work. I welcome your thoughts. Am I overreacting or am i justified in my thinking?

fueledbymetal
06-25-2007, 04:51 AM
This is definitely getting a little ridiculous. :(

w5lx
06-25-2007, 05:44 AM
- UPDATE #2 -
I'm back again with another update regarding the issue in my initial post. Almost two weeks ago (it will be two weeks this coming Wednesday) I turned my car in to the dealership so that they could look at an issue I was having with my SOS call system. Turns out that issue was a result of me using an unapproved phone with my BMW's Bluetooth function. In any event, the part that would fix my speaker trouble came in during that time so they spent the majority of the time installing and configuring it. My Service Advisor, who has been a little more compassionate about my problem(s) lately, informed today that they were unable to install the new part because it crashed after several attempts. He offered me the opportunity to pick up my car tomorrow (Saturday) if I wanted while they reordered the part. I told him thanks and that I would like to pick the car up tomorrow. About 30 minutes later he calls back and gives me the unfortunate news that when they tried to reinstall the old part, it also crashed and that I would in fact not be able to pick up my car tomorrow and he would have to talk to his Part Manager on Monday to see what they can do to help me out.

So just to recap, I purchased my 2008 528i on March 26th. March 27th, I informed the dealer about the speaker trouble. Once the problem was finally diagnosed, they had to order the part from Germany. This brings us to my latest post where I am currently still paying my monthly payments for my new 5 series, but I am driving a 2007 3 series. All due to a problem that was caused in manufacturing and not by me... Anyways, the purpose of this post was to take a simple poll from you all to see what you all thought about the matter. Depending on what my Service Advisor and his Parts Manager can come up with to make me feel better about all of this, I am toying with the idea of pursuing legal action since the car has been in the shop almost as long as I have had it. At this point, waiting will not suffice, but if that is my only option then I shouldn't have to pay for a car that does not fully work. I welcome your thoughts. Am I overreacting or am i justified in my thinking?

I hope the guy from BMW of North America, LLC is still listening and monitoring this situation.......this kind of service is simply unacceptable.:thumbdwn:

stevepow
06-25-2007, 07:34 AM
...Anyways, the purpose of this post was to take a simple poll from you all to see what you all thought about the matter. Depending on what my Service Advisor and his Parts Manager can come up with to make me feel better about all of this, I am toying with the idea of pursuing legal action since the car has been in the shop almost as long as I have had it. At this point, waiting will not suffice, but if that is my only option then I shouldn't have to pay for a car that does not fully work. I welcome your thoughts. Am I overreacting or am i justified in my thinking?

Overreacting? April May June - still no car? I'd be flipping out by now. You have the patience of Job.

How's that lemon law thing work? Maybe worth a look. No way you should be paying for a defective car that cannot be made to work. And I don't buy that can't get a part thing - what parts are they putting in the thousands of new cars built and delivered since you bought yours?

rjucks
06-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Overreacting? April May June - still no car? I'd be flipping out by now. You have the patience of Job.

How's that lemon law thing work? Maybe worth a look. No way you should be paying for a defective car that cannot be made to work. And I don't buy that can't get a part thing - what parts are they putting in the thousands of new cars built and delivered since you bought yours?

Ha. I appreciate the compliment. I typical am very impatient so for someone to say I'm exhibiting traits of patience means a lot heh. I have had the car 2 months. Out of the two months I have been able to drive it a month, and the rest of that time (1 month according to my calculations) it has been with my SA. He said he would give me a call Monday (today) with an update...It's 1:30PM EST and I haven't heard anything. If I don't hear an acceptable accomodation I plan on paying a visit this coming Wednesday which would make two consecutive weeks that the car has been in their possession...kind of a special occasion event heh. Great first impression for a first time BMW buyer ha?