PDA

View Full Version : 2008 528i 0r 535i?

DOUG DUBIN
05-07-2007, 07:26 AM
Am preparing to purchase a 5 series. Can not decide if I want the power of the 535i or the economy of the 528i. Do any of you lucky people who have received your 08 5 series have any fuel economy feed back yet? I feel the 528i is under-powered... hell, a Camry has more HP and torque, plus better gas miliage.

SteVTEC
05-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Toyota was over-rating their mileage. IIRC when I was looking it up myself, the 528i and Camry V6 get identical mileage on the revised EPA rating system, 19/28 mpg. A Pontiac Grand Prix GXP has more power and torque than the 535i does also, and will do high-13's @ 103 mph in the 1/4 mile which is probably about what a 535i (auto) will do. A 300C SRT-8 has more power than a 550i....

Anyways, if you feel the 528i is underpowered then just get the 535i. Rated mileage is only about 1 mpg worse which isn't a big difference. My main concern with the 535i is long-term reliability and high potential for expensive repairs (turbo rebuilds) down the road. Not a concern if you're leasing, but it is for me since I plan to buy.

I miss the 530i. :(

DOUG DUBIN
05-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Me too

Fünfer
05-07-2007, 06:43 PM
My 2 cents:

(1) As you know the car comes with 4 years of maintenance and warranty
(2) Since you are concerned about repair costs, you are probably planning on keeping the car for longer than that time period
(3) There is a 6 year extended warranty available (you will have to check the costs of that)
(4) Regardless, if you are planning on keeping the car for that long (past 4 years), the $4k premium of the 535 pales. And now that that $4k buys you 70hp as opposed to just 40hp (as previously you would have had to pay that same $4k going from a 525 to a 530), there is an even more compelling argument to go for the 535. In addition to the $700 xenons you get as standard.

BmW745On19's
05-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Who buys a BMW for economy? Go buy a Toyota if you're looking to pinch pennies for gas, as if the 3.0 liter twin turbo isn't extremely efficient for the power it produces.

jacksonhunter31
05-07-2007, 06:58 PM
The 535 is light years ahead of the 530 in terms of driving experience. The 528 is a fundamentally different car than the 535--not a luxury sports sedan in a meaningful way--a luxury sedan instead. The question is what do you want? If acceleration matters to you, then the 528 is a mistake. If you want a beautifully engineered car to drive, the 528 will meet your needs...

BTW, I would never own a BMW outside of a fairly comprehensive warranty.

casper
05-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Am preparing to purchase a 5 series. Can not decide if I want the power of the 535i or the economy of the 528i. Do any of you lucky people who have received your 08 5 series have any fuel economy feed back yet? I feel the 528i is under-powered... hell, a Camry has more HP and torque, plus better gas miliage.

535 anytime without a doubt.

giantswin22
05-07-2007, 07:39 PM
i have been getting around 22MPG but I have been driving in tons of traffic. Afterall, I live in DC. Go with the 535i. I haven't stopped smiling since I got it. Why does everyone want to race me all of a sudden? Every pimped out honda/mustang etc in the dc area seems to want to get racy with me all of a sudden :) That never happened when I drove my audi :)

jschulman
05-07-2007, 09:02 PM
The 535 is light years ahead of the 530 in terms of driving experience. The 528 is a fundamentally different car than the 535--not a luxury sports sedan in a meaningful way--a luxury sedan instead. The question is what do you want? If acceleration matters to you, then the 528 is a mistake. If you want a beautifully engineered car to drive, the 528 will meet your needs...

BTW, I would never own a BMW outside of a fairly comprehensive warranty.

I currently have an E46 323i that I bought new in 1999 which I will be trading in for a 535i in a few months. It was a hard decision to see that car go as that car has given me very few troubles. The clutch is on its way out (more because the driver spent years in Baltimore/DC reducing its lifetime with the traffic), I can't drive a stick anymore due to feet issues, and I was getting ready for some major maintenance, and decided to spend that money on a new BMW. For the past 8 years, besides basic maintenance: I had the auxiliary fan go bad which made it run all the time which ran the battery down, one window regular (which is known on this car to go bad) go bad, and two exhaust cam sensors. That is it. It is a very reliable car.

Granted BMW makes some problem cars (all manufacturers do), but overall it can be a reliable car if properly maintained. Will it give you as few problems as a Honda? Probably not, but the car isn't as unreliable as a lot of people seem to think it is (not that I think you think that). My 1997 Honda Prelude spent more time in the shop than my BMW, and I was without for several days straight.

bargamon
05-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Run the numbers on both and then drive both.

No doubt the 535 is gonna make you smile more. And no doubt other 535 owners are gonna advocate that choice, but in the end what is most important to YOU!

The old 0-60 question about horsepower and the fact there are lots of toyotas and hondas that offer more is a quick answer. Go drive them. Nice cars for the money, and perhaps the best value out there is a honda accord V6 with manual trans!

But where you live and type of driving might dictate your ultimate choice.

And asking an internet forum is not going to yield the kind of response you really need.

For me, I got a 530 in February with MT and am very very happy with my choice. It rides like a dream, gets 25-26 mpg (4k on odo) and to me is both sporty as I need it, and luxury also. Are there moments where more power would be nice? Of course, but isn't that true with most cars?

My lease payment was a big factor in my configuration and to me making an intelligent deal was important. For some, its all emotion and they desire the ultimate ride.

Is one better than the other?

I compromised some performance to feel good about a deal.
Some might compromise the transaction to feel good about the car.

Some might feel its stupid to not get the biggest motor.
Others might feel its stupid to overpay for it.

One is not more correct than the other.

IN europe the 528 is consisdered a big displacement motor.

In this country there is a movement to not be excessive and squander resources even if one can afford it.

Its about values. Go with yours!

SteVTEC
05-08-2007, 02:04 PM
i have been getting around 22MPG but I have been driving in tons of traffic. Afterall, I live in DC. Go with the 535i. I haven't stopped smiling since I got it. Why does everyone want to race me all of a sudden? Every pimped out honda/mustang etc in the dc area seems to want to get racy with me all of a sudden :) That never happened when I drove my audi :)LOL, I'm also in the DC area and that sort of thing is yet another reason why I'm leaning towards a 528i. I'd be too tempted to use the power and do something stupid, get in a wreck, or get arrested. I can already drive plenty stupid with the mere 190hp in my Nissan (although it's only 3100 lbs and a 5MT) so I can't imagine the sort of trouble I could get myself into with 300hp. That's not good. :rofl: :D

casper
05-08-2007, 05:52 PM
There are many opinions, and it can get confusing, but to me is very simple, get the biggest engine you can afford, is a "no brainer".

If you ask, I assume you can afford the 535, then forget about the 528, if you could afford the 550, you should get the 550.

If you are concerned with miles per gallon, go get a corolla, but one is to assume that if you want a BMW is because you can appreciate it, then the question becomes foolish, get the biggest engine you can afford.

You will never be happy with a 528, people who get a 528 vs a 535 or 550 do so because they can not afford the others.

So, simple, can you afford the 535? Get one, if all you can afford is the 528, then compromise and get it, but you will always be wishing you had gotten the 535.

krash
05-08-2007, 05:55 PM

The 528 is at least reasonable when compared to a 525, but I'd go with a 335 before I'd get either.

If you can afford it, then definitely go with the 535.

SteVTEC
05-08-2007, 06:14 PM
You will never be happy with a 528, people who get a 528 vs a 535 or 550 do so because they can not afford the others.

So, simple, can you afford the 535? Get one, if all you can afford is the 528, then compromise and get it, but you will always be wishing you had gotten the 535.sorry but not everybody values POWER, nor do they have an insatiable desire for more and more of it to the point of automatically getting the biggest engine they can possibly afford. I have no idea what you drive, but when I hit submit here I just KNOW I'm going to see that you have either a 545 or 550 in your vehicle profile if it's a 5er. :)

Edit: yep, a 545i! :rofl:

Mac Daddy
05-08-2007, 06:30 PM
I agree with SteVTEC on this one. I have had 325/525 for loaners, and they have enough power for the vast majority of driving situations. They lack a little low end compared to the bigger and FI motors (of course), but if you push it they go. They are not slow, just not faster than many cars these days.

If you value having the fastest possible car, get the 535 (or better yet, 550, or M5, etc...). But if you don't, I wouldn't hesitate to get the 528, especially if you plan to own out of warranty. :thumbup:

AzNMpower32
05-08-2007, 06:44 PM
I think a 528i is enough. However, if you feel strongly about the 535i, then go for that one. It depends how long you intend to keep the car, since repair costs will be different. I think you could just spend the cash you save on a 528i and get sport package and xenons and manual transmission, and perhaps other goodies you want.

lawbuz
05-08-2007, 09:39 PM
i have been getting around 22MPG but I have been driving in tons of traffic. Afterall, I live in DC. Go with the 535i. I haven't stopped smiling since I got it. Why does everyone want to race me all of a sudden? Every pimped out honda/mustang etc in the dc area seems to want to get racy with me all of a sudden :) That never happened when I drove my audi :)

Giantswim - When did you get your 535i? I thought i was one of the first ones in the DC areas to pick one up.

Also, mine is only about 1 week and 300 mls old, and I'm getting less than 20mpg, probably because it's during the break-in period and I've been driving in rush hour (and also accelerating hard on the highway). Do you find your 535 starting to adjust the crappy DC roads and see the performance improve (i.e., maintain comfort while preserving performance)?

juventus
05-09-2007, 07:12 AM
[QUOTE=jacksonhunter31;2361159]The 535 is light years ahead of the 530 in terms of driving experience. The 528 is a fundamentally different car than the 535--not a luxury sports sedan in a meaningful way--a luxury sedan instead. The question is what do you want? If acceleration matters to you, then the 528 is a mistake. If you want a beautifully engineered car to drive, the 528 will meet your needs...

Glad to hear that 535 is much better than 530. Could you elaborate a little more. Leaving the increased Hp aside, is it sill a huge difference?

jacksonhunter31
05-09-2007, 06:43 PM
I had ordered a 530 and then BMW quit manufacturing it a few weeks early and I ended up with a 535. The 535 feels much more nimble, lighter on its feet than the 530. The cosmetic upgrades are nice but no big deal. The difference is in the engine. The bi-turbo is a dream to drive. Fast, responsive, zero turbo lag, fairly fuel efficient. IMHO BMW has always led because of their engine engineering--if you want interior perfection, go for Lexus or, even better, Audi. But as an Audi owner I can tell you the 535 is a superior driving experience to the A6 or any Lexus. So the question becomes what do you want or can afford? for the relatively few $$ I don't get choosing a 528--but then everyone's situation is unique and their needs differ...

lawbuz
05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
I had ordered a 530 and then BMW quit manufacturing it a few weeks early and I ended up with a 535. The 535 feels much more nimble, lighter on its feet than the 530. The cosmetic upgrades are nice but no big deal. The difference is in the engine. The bi-turbo is a dream to drive. Fast, responsive, zero turbo lag, fairly fuel efficient. IMHO BMW has always led because of their engine engineering--if you want interior perfection, go for Lexus or, even better, Audi. But as an Audi owner I can tell you the 535 is a superior driving experience to the A6 or any Lexus. So the question becomes what do you want or can afford? for the relatively few $$ I don't get choosing a 528--but then everyone's situation is unique and their needs differ...

Question - Did'nt you think that the AUDI A6 with Quattro (assuming you had Quattro) hugged the road better and gave a more sporty feel around curves than the 535i, or is that like comparing apples and oranges. So far I think the A6 quattro i tested handles better than my brand new 535i.

please respond directly, thanks.