PDA

View Full Version : Question about 550i Sport Auto Transmission

newyorkmike
05-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Long-time reader, first-time poster here. I am trying to order a 550i with sport package and sport auto transmission for local (New York) delivery. I've noticed a few other people on here who indicated that they have placed their orders for a 550i with the sport auto transmission for ED. My local dealer said that the BMW system was not yet allowing them to place orders for the sport auto tranmission because it was not scheduled until June production. That didn't really pass the smell test for me. For those that have just ordered the sport auto transmission, was this the case with your orders or do you have a BMW order number and/or an estimated/scheduled production date, etc.?

1994_RX-7_Tour
05-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Mike, I have a European Delivery 550i sked for SEP pickup in Munich. I got a production number last week or so - and I have Sport auto as a selected option. Not sure why you're unable to do the same for a standard USA delivery. Their allocations for June/July delivery may not be available as soon as those doing the Munich delivery.

lskari
05-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Mike - i also have a 550 sports package/transmission on order for ED in late July. The system allowed for this to be added on for this one.

Spyder
05-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Hmmmm. I ordered my 535 with paddle shifters last week. I confirmed with BMWNA that production of option 2TB (sport suto tranny w/ paddle shifters) starts in June, and I will have one of the first 535's so equipped when my car is delivered on 22 June. Can't say for sure what the situation is with the 550, but my guess is that it's the same.

jschulman
05-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Long-time reader, first-time poster here. I am trying to order a 550i with sport package and sport auto transmission for local (New York) delivery. I've noticed a few other people on here who indicated that they have placed their orders for a 550i with the sport auto transmission for ED. My local dealer said that the BMW system was not yet allowing them to place orders for the sport auto tranmission because it was not scheduled until June production. That didn't really pass the smell test for me. For those that have just ordered the sport auto transmission, was this the case with your orders or do you have a BMW order number and/or an estimated/scheduled production date, etc.?

That is strange. When I first ordered my 535i for a July 2 date the computer would take the sport auto (2TB), but when I switched my pickup date to July 9, the computer took it, and scheduled the production of the car with it. The reason for that is that the car needs to be at least a week 24 build to get the option (first full week of June). I have an order number that includes 2TB. Are you trying to order a car with May production for June delivery?

jschulman
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Hmmmm. I ordered my 535 with paddle shifters last week. I confirmed with BMWNA that production of option 2TB (sport suto tranny w/ paddle shifters) starts in June, and I will have one of the first 535's so equipped when my car is delivered on 22 June. Can't say for sure what the situation is with the 550, but my guess is that it's the same.

BMW must be starting production early because when Irv faxed BMW my paperwork to get the sport auto on a July 2 pickup (week 23 build), the computer rejected it. Once the pickup date was changed to July 9 (week 24 build), the computer accepted it, and has been added to my car.

Spyder
05-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Because of well-documented problems with my 650 ED (see http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161650) I dealt directly with BMWNA when arranging the 535 ED. That got me the earliest delivery date possible for a 535 with the 2TB option.

newyorkmike
05-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Are you trying to order a car with May production for June delivery?

I told the dealer that I wanted the sport auto transmission and that I was aware it wasn't available until June production. He said that when they tried to place the order with the sport auto option on their first June production allocation, that it was rejected. I have a call in to him this morning to discuss the week 23/24 issue that you experienced. Hopefully that will be helpful.

Thanks you all who posted responses. I'll update everyone when I hear back from the dealer and let you know the full specs of the car once the order is in.

whay
05-08-2007, 11:30 AM
I had the same issue ording my 550. Dealer said he couldn't add the option in the ordering system, not even for a June production order. I called and confirmed at another dealer (I have trust issues). I think ED and 535 paddle shifters are completely different situations. I couldn't hold out so I ordered with the non-sport automatic. Be here in 2-3 weeks!