PDA

View Full Version : 550i to 750i

06Black550i
05-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Just sold my 550i and got a new 750i sport. Silver/black. Made the decision to switch during the test drive Saturday afternoon. Pics, impressions, etc. to follow once I get the chance to cut loose in it this coming weekend.

Ride is heavier, quieter, seats roomier, and no iPod interface available, but there is a handy Aux imput jack and charger input in center armrest, which is fine since my 550's iPod was super slow via iDrive.

Alex550
05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Nice! I went the other way around, 745 to 550. There are some things I like better about the 7, but overall, I love the how sporty the 550 is.

Things I miss about the 7:
1) The 7 is the phone number pad that come out of the dash. It makes it really easy to dial a number not in your phone or in my case, a password to voice mail.
2) The soft closing trunk
3) Huge wheels/tires (245/45/19 & 275/40/19)
4) It was a 7 (BMW's Flagship). Now, people can't tell the difference between my 550 and a 525.
5) Storage space in the center console and the two 'drawers' under the tempurature control.

I hope you enjoy your new 7, let us know what you think about it.

chrischeung
05-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm also mildly interested in moving from a 525i to a 750i. My next car should be a 535, 550 or 750. Your insights would be greatly appreciated.

It seems like 95***37;+ of the features/options on the 7er are available on the 5er - so the additional amount gets you additional space, comfort, and luxury. I don't care as much about the "flagship BMW" factor, since there is alway something better around the corner. I do recall being amazed at how well the 7er handled. IMHO, its agility seemed very similar to my E60 530i - in fact, the steering seemed tighter and better weighted.

von_zoom
05-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I like both very much. The 550i is my wife's ride, however, I enjoy driving it when ever I can get it away from her. :) Whats to say about the 750i, except :thumbup: :thumbup:
vz

06Black550i
05-10-2007, 03:03 PM
OK -- the new 7 is a very different car than the 5 series. Feels heavier, sport suspension not as stiff as the 5, steering is lighter -- more assist? Much quieter, softer ride with the non-runflat 20s vs. the 5's runflat 18s. The iDrive is quicker and clearly a different program or version than my '06 550's.

There seems to be more complex electronics, gear selector, p break, AC controls, seat controls, etc. so the learning curve will be longer.

Initial thoughts are all positive -- driving to OC this weekend, so will have more details later.

bmwguynj
05-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Nice! I went the other way around, 745 to 550. There are some things I like better about the 7, but overall, I love the how sporty the 550 is.

This is very interesting since yesterday when I took delivery of my new 08 550i Sport, a 750i sport owner was coming up to the end of his lease and wanted to go back to a 550i due to he wanted a more sportier sedan.

I love the 750i and it's a beautiful car that I can't afford yet, but there is something so sweet about the 550i that you can't resist it, maybe that is why there is M5 out there instead of M7.

When I went from a 3 to a 5 series I missed the sportiness of the 3 series, but I soon got over it, since the 5 was sporty yet refined at the same time too. I guess I was also just getting older too.

Deutschecar
05-11-2007, 03:20 PM
This is very interesting since yesterday when I took delivery of my new 08 550i Sport, a 750i sport owner was coming up to the end of his lease and wanted to go back to a 550i due to he wanted a more sportier sedan.

I love the 750i and it's a beautiful car that I can't afford yet, but there is something so sweet about the 550i that you can't resist it, maybe that is why there is M5 out there instead of M7.

When I went from a 3 to a 5 series I missed the sportiness of the 3 series, but I soon got over it, since the 5 was sporty yet refined at the same time too. I guess I was also just getting older too.

I am picking mine up next week. How do you like it? I hear the exhaust sounds better. Any sort of description of the overall experience would be great. I thought about the 7, but its just too big IMO for "spirited" driving. At least the kind i do anyway. TIA

bmwguynj
05-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I am picking mine up next week. How do you like it? I hear the exhaust sounds better. Any sort of description of the overall experience would be great. I thought about the 7, but its just too big IMO for "spirited" driving. At least the kind i do anyway. TIA

My brother has a 2004 545i and when heard me start up the car, the exhaust was explosive and he was impressed.

1. The 19" Sport rims look much better in person and although I prefer the deep dish rim, these are very nice. Sporty, yet still beautiful and classy.

2. The Aerokit is also a great touch, since it makes the 5 look so much more sporty. Note that there is no rear deck spoiler in this Aero Kit even if it's mentioned in some of the earlier BMW 5 series promo materials. It looks better without a rear spoiler anyways.

3. The new Electronic Shifter looks complex, but it's very easy to use. Like adding a joystick to your I-Drive Mouse.

4. Coming from driving a 2001 BMW 530i, 2006 530xi and my brother 2004 545i, I was always impressed with the BMW In-Line 6s, but this 08 550i with the louder exhaust and a host of improvements for this model year rounds out my perfect dream car for the time being.

Congrats on your new baby too! Keep us updated!

Deutschecar
05-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Many thanks on the info. I assume i dont have to tell you what the wait for a car you are kind of pumped to get is like. I was all over the place. I looked at the M6,M5,750i (can you tell i was determined to have a BMW?), but when i saw pics of a Carbon Black 550i (color i am getting, used to have an E46 M3 same color), that was it. Called my local dealer who just happened to have said car in port. The rest is history. Thx again. Pics will be posted.

bmwguynj
05-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Many thanks on the info. I assume i dont have to tell you what the wait for a car you are kind of pumped to get is like. I was all over the place. I looked at the M6,M5,750i (can you tell i was determined to have a BMW?), but when i saw pics of a Carbon Black 550i (color i am getting, used to have an E46 M3 same color), that was it. Called my local dealer who just happened to have said car in port. The rest is history. Thx again. Pics will be posted.

FYI - Some initial photos of my 08 550i are posted in this bimmerfest.com link:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205497

06Black550i
05-15-2007, 02:14 PM
so I'm getting used to the switch from the 550 to the new 750. Went about 200 miles RT last weekend, and am really enjoying this ride. Here're a few pics...

ChrisDressler
05-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Congrats!! That is a really beautiful car, enjoy!

06Black550i
05-15-2007, 08:46 PM
thanks. I was nervous about the 20s when I test drove, but am glad I got them now. They are stock sport pkg non-runflats -- seem to give better ride than runflats I've had