PDA

View Full Version : Winter Wheels & Tires?

nahugry
05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
I'm in little bit of a thinking mode here......
I just traded in my 05 330i for 04 525i.
It has the sports package, and the dealer put on new set of tires (Potenza RE-050 I believe? they told me thats the OEM tires and put them on)
I love the tires for its looks and the run-flat feature, but I was also told that those tire were NOT meant for driving in snow....at all.
Also due to the fact that the car has a sports package, I'd be wise to purchase new wheels with winter tires to last the winter here in Virginia.
I'm trying to figure out if that is really necessary? I DID just go through a TERRIBLE winter with my 330i which had some aftermarket Yokohamas.
Anyone who's had experience with the same car or another bimmer with sports package... your opinion is greatly appreciated.......:eek:

stiffy1
05-07-2007, 02:09 PM
I have an '06 525i without the sports package. I drove the first winter without winter tires then put them on for this past winter. HUGE difference. I dreaded driving in the snow before putting the winters on. I bought a set of Dunlop Graspics on ASA JH3 wheels that I bought privately through E60 forums, and they were fantastic. The setup looked better than the OEM setup (138's). Before the 525i I drove an Audi A6 and worried about switching to RWD from AWD. With the winter tires, I now don't think it's necessary to have AWD. I highly recommend putting winter tires on.

dasimon
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
Go for the winter tires. I have an 07 530 sport in Colorado Springs. I bought Michelin Alpins for the winter and they did great through snow and cold weather.

During one blizzard, I was able to run between stoplights without a problem. I remember passing a previous generation 5er that couldn't do more than a couple of miles an hour (a danger to everyone).

With the onset of spring, I've changed back to summer tires -- however we've had a couple of mornings with 32 degrees temp -- and it feels like I'm skating on ice.

Bottom Line: the winter tires are great in cold weather -- summer tires feel skittish -- I wouldn't trust them with any emergency maneuvers.

nahugry
05-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks guys.... I guess I do need to get some winter sets.
Just wondering though.... did you guys change all 4 wheels? or just the rear ones??

MRV99
05-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I would strongly recommend getting a winter summer setup. I cannot tell you how much it makes a difference.

First:
BMW is a drivers car and I don't care what you say, All Season tires are not that great in snow and not as fun in the summer. You will enjoy the performance of Summer tires over all season.

Two:
Winter conditions are harder on the rims(snow melting chemicals) along w/ the fact you may not wash the car as much and not get all the Famous BMW break dust which collects on them. If left on too long you will find it almost impossible to remove it and the rims may become pitted.

Third:
Sport packages have wider tires which is good for dry driving bad for snow. Skinnier tires work much better in the snow, so non-sport package setup for winter is much better.

Fourth:
I have a X5 and 545 both w/ sport packages. The tires for these sizes are pretty pricey even when purchasing them through tirerack. In the Chicago you can get snow in November through March so I have the winter setup on the car for 5-6 months out of the year. This means I am driving 1/2 of my total miles on each set.

X5 19" Diamaris are about $1100 a set and they last about 20,000 miles and winter tears these tires up. My winter setup is Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow w/ rims cost $1000. I now will get about 4 years a set(2 actual driving years) So for $2100 for 4 years compared to 4200 for just the Sport package setup. Plus the advantages of points 1-3...

Fifth:
Remember, once you get rid of the car you can always ebay the winter setup because someone will always need a winter setup. You may be able to recoup up to 1/2 of of your winter setup cost which will drop the long term costs even lower...

Hope this helps

nahugry
05-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I would strongly recommend getting a winter summer setup. I cannot tell you how much it makes a difference.

First:
BMW is a drivers car and I don't care what you say, All Season tires are not that great in snow and not as fun in the summer. You will enjoy the performance of Summer tires over all season.

Two:
Winter conditions are harder on the rims(snow melting chemicals) along w/ the fact you may not wash the car as much and not get all the Famous BMW break dust which collects on them. If left on too long you will find it almost impossible to remove it and the rims may become pitted.

Third:
Sport packages have wider tires which is good for dry driving bad for snow. Skinnier tires work much better in the snow, so non-sport package setup for winter is much better.

Fourth:
I have a X5 and 545 both w/ sport packages. The tires for these sizes are pretty pricey even when purchasing them through tirerack. In the Chicago you can get snow in November through March so I have the winter setup on the car for 5-6 months out of the year. This means I am driving 1/2 of my total miles on each set.

X5 19" Diamaris are about $1100 a set and they last about 20,000 miles and winter tears these tires up. My winter setup is Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow w/ rims cost $1000. I now will get about 4 years a set(2 actual driving years) So for $2100 for 4 years compared to 4200 for just the Sport package setup. Plus the advantages of points 1-3...

Fifth:
Remember, once you get rid of the car you can always ebay the winter setup because someone will always need a winter setup. You may be able to recoup up to 1/2 of of your winter setup cost which will drop the long term costs even lower...

Hope this helps

VERY detailed explanation...thanks a lot.
I will go with a winter set once the winter hits.. I was born and raised in Chicago so I know exactly what you're talking about.. and I'm starting to see that Virginia is not much different although I've only been here for one winter and approaching the first summer.
First, I'll have some driving fun during the summer and fall.
Thank you

gohornedfrogs
05-08-2007, 08:32 PM
For what it's worth, I just went through an entire winter in Pittsburgh with Continental ContiTrac all season tires and never had a single problem. My '04 530i is actually better in the snow than my old Volvo S70 that had front wheel drive.

Though I will probably look for a winter set, I'm confident I could make it through another winter here without them.

KB
05-09-2007, 12:29 AM
Im getting Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for all year performance. I hate having to take tires off and on. I just want to be done with it. Plus these tires were rated far greater than my Dunlops. These Dunlops could be the worst tire I have ever had. Currently I have a 550 w/ sport

MRV99
05-09-2007, 12:27 PM
KB-
I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my old 540 and it was 100***37; improvement on the Dunlops 2000 that the car comes with. They did go in the snow and I did not have any issues when I did drive in the snow. But compared to winter tires they were not close. One thing that really impressed me with the Pilot Sports were the ability to resist hydro planing. It was raining pretty hard on night and I was in the under construction IPass lane on I-88(oakbrook toll for Chitown people) and was in the left lane. Well little did I know there was a huge puddle in my lane and a huge truck next to me. I plowed through the water like it was not even there...