PDA

View Full Version : Using the same rims for both summer and winter?

dominic.fung
05-07-2007, 10:18 PM
I know most people have dedicated sets of rims for summer and winter tires. I also know a few people who use the same set of rims and just change the tires on them when the season changes. I am leasing my E60 and I want to minimize add-ons to it. What's your opinion on going the cheap way? Is there any risk of damaging my run-flats when I remove and put it back on twice a year?

Thanks!
Dom

Chief F1 Fan
05-08-2007, 03:18 AM
for the money you'll pay to mount/dismount/remount your tires over a couple seasons, you could easily buy some wheels from Tirerack for ~120 ea. and save money over time. Not to mention the increased chances some tire jockey is going to scuff up your wheel(s).

petesamprs
05-08-2007, 04:34 AM
for the money you'll pay to mount/dismount/remount your tires over a couple seasons, you could easily buy some wheels from Tirerack for ~120 ea. and save money over time. Not to mention the increased chances some tire jockey is going to scuff up your wheel(s).

+1. Was in the same situation in my e90 and realized it's easier to just a get a second set of cheap winter wheels/tires from tirerack (<$1000) rather than deal with the hassle, risk and cost of having to mount and unmount tires twice a year. Plus the e90 has runflats (does the e60 as well?), so mounting/unmounting is much more difficult and more likely to damage wheel/tire.

HWF
05-08-2007, 06:36 AM
I've got a new xi type, with "all season" tires. I was hoping that I would not need to mount winter tires at all. What's the prevailing opinion out there? Also, if I do get winters, I assume I should mount them on all 4 corners. Would this be correct? Thanks.

dominic.fung
05-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the advices guys.. much appreciated.

I am a big believer of winter tires, and with you (HWF) being in the NJ area, I would definitely get winters. My girlfriend has a X3 with all seasons and I never feel as confident in her car as I was in my E46 RWD with good winter tires. Maybe I am just biased because I really don't like the X3. :)

Dom