PDA

View Full Version : Solar Coding on Windshield?

mason
05-08-2007, 06:48 AM
I am getting a front windshield replacement, thanks for a big rock on the highway. Any idea how much dealer is going to charge?

I am shopping for outisde options, some shops ask me if the windshield has solar coding. Does anyone know anything about that? Any special features I should mention? All I know is that my car doesn't need HUD.

Thanks for any help.

rama_e
05-08-2007, 08:15 AM
Fairfax VA dealer charged me $975 for a non HUD windshield. I did not trust outside repair because the rain sensor needed to be re-programmed

Starab
05-08-2007, 08:24 AM
I am getting a front windshield replacement, thanks for a big rock on the highway. Any idea how much dealer is going to charge?

I am shopping for outisde options, some shops ask me if the windshield has solar coding. Does anyone know anything about that? Any special features I should mention? All I know is that my car doesn't need HUD.

Thanks for any help.

Shop for original built-in windshield glass( UV-99% and IR >50% rejection) and installon the car.

If not take the glass and have good brand window film installed. (This is the perfect way, one of the tint shop suggested, He did not want put on car's windshield as there is risk of electronics and sensor getting damaged). Solar gard and many other brands have very good clear/ceramic UV window film (UV and IR rejection). It is legal as long as we have clear film on windshield.

This will protect your car and dash board from glare, UV and IR Rays, heat build-up. It should not take more than $100/- just for windshiled.

stream
05-08-2007, 10:06 AM

Thanks for any help.

My 545i does not have solar coating on it, so I suspect yours doesn't.

I don't know of any dealers who do windshield replacement in-house, so if you go through the dealer, you're just paying their mark up for a service that they outsource.

I had a windshield replaced on a 740i years ago (had solar coating and rain sensor) and it was hundreds of dollars less than the dealer wanted, and they used BMW OEM windshield, which they ordered from a dealer they had a business relationship with (they probably did the "in-house" windshield replacement for them ;)).

stevepow
05-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Also, most insurance will cover it with a low ($100) or no deductable depending on the policy.