PDA

View Full Version : Motorola RAZR cradle/adapter in 5 series & IPOD - USB - any experience?

nekountze
05-08-2007, 08:20 AM
:confused: I just ordered a RAZR v3 cradle/adapter from Circle BMW for my new 2008 535xiT (picking up in Munich in 2 weeks). Anyone have any experience with this? Advantages are it is supposed to charge the RAZR and connect to the outside antenna for better reception. I know the bluetooth connection is easier, but i frequently get dropped calls from my cingular provider her in Omaha, so the added antenna strenght will help, I hope.

Also, I have the USB connection which is supposed to be below the phone in the armrest, I believe. Do the two devices (IPOD adapter and phone cradle) coexist comfortably, that is physically?

Thanks for any advice,
Neely

stevepow
05-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I have the RAZR cradle in my car and I like it. I just have to be careful to remember to take the phone out when I leave the car. It usually provides one extra bar of reception, so don't look for a giant boost.

As for the iPod coexistence, it should but on the '07s, the iPod is in the glove box, so I can't say for sure. The parts guys should know. On my car, the phone tray - two parts: one generic and then the RAZR specific adapter - replaced the existing tray so it only takes up more space above the old tray, not below it.

giantswin22
05-08-2007, 05:02 PM
i have an 07 535i and the ipod link is in the armrest, not in the glove box. THis was factory installed option. Works awesome seems like there is also room for a phone in there too or put the phone in the box above where the ipod sits. The ipod USB storage is below the little black box where I currently keep change but you could fit a phone in there

giantswin22
05-08-2007, 05:03 PM
mispost, i have 2008 535i not 2007

fp60
05-08-2007, 06:24 PM
I will let you know when my car arrives in a week or two... (just hit the atlantic coast 2 days ago!!!). I am having the razr cradle and ipod installed...
:thumbup:

citygirl
05-08-2007, 06:28 PM
I have a 2008 535xiT. The phone comparment is on top of the I-Pod tray. When you open the console, you'll see the phone tray. There's a button on that tray that you push and you can pull it up to reveal the USB/I-Pod connection. Hope that answers your question.

:confused: I just ordered a RAZR v3 cradle/adapter from Circle BMW for my new 2008 535xiT (picking up in Munich in 2 weeks). Anyone have any experience with this? Advantages are it is supposed to charge the RAZR and connect to the outside antenna for better reception. I know the bluetooth connection is easier, but i frequently get dropped calls from my cingular provider her in Omaha, so the added antenna strenght will help, I hope.

Also, I have the USB connection which is supposed to be below the phone in the armrest, I believe. Do the two devices (IPOD adapter and phone cradle) coexist comfortably, that is physically?

Thanks for any advice,

Neely

fp60
05-08-2007, 06:30 PM
any pics please!??!?!
:bigpimp:

nekountze
05-09-2007, 02:54 AM
I have a 2008 535xiT. The phone comparment is on top of the I-Pod tray. When you open the console, you'll see the phone tray. There's a button on that tray that you push and you can pull it up to reveal the USB/I-Pod connection. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks for the information, citgirl. Sounds like we have identical cars, and that there will be room in the console for both the phone cradle and the Ipod.

Our 535xiT is an ED with pickup in Munich on May 23rd. We are also touring the Dingolfing factory that week - where our cars were manufactured. I'm looking forward to that tour (not sure my wife is as thrilled...) but we both agree that that drive thru Europe for a couple of weeks should be awesome. We plan the end up in Madrid and drop our car there.

One last thing - I went to Bowdoin College so I have a real fondness for Maine and it's people. Very much like our midwestern folks, except they farm lobsters and oysters instead of corn and cattle.

Hope you enjoy your new BMW! The xi all wheel drive will certainly come in handy in both Maine and Nebraska in the winters.

Cheers,
Neely

citygirl
05-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Enjoy your trip! I know you'll have a blast touring around Europe in your new wagon. I absolutely love mine. If you loved Maine so much why'd you go to the midwest? Bowdoin is a lovely campus. Lots of people I work with are Bowdoin grads. A friend of mine's daughter is looking at Bowdoin, Bates and Colby. I've been encouraging Bowdoin. Can't imagine being stuck in Lewiston or Waterville!

By the way, make certain when you take delivery that they give you the cable for the I-Pod. For some reason, the cable didn't ship with my wagon (or any of the 2008 5's), but did come stored in the glove compartment on the new 335's. I had to wait a couple of weeks to get mine from the dealer. In fact, it just arrived yesterday in the mail.

Good luck with your trip. Send pictures!!

Thanks for the information, citgirl. Sounds like we have identical cars, and that there will be room in the console for both the phone cradle and the Ipod.

Our 535xiT is an ED with pickup in Munich on May 23rd. We are also touring the Dingolfing factory that week - where our cars were manufactured. I'm looking forward to that tour (not sure my wife is as thrilled...) but we both agree that that drive thru Europe for a couple of weeks should be awesome. We plan the end up in Madrid and drop our car there.

One last thing - I went to Bowdoin College so I have a real fondness for Maine and it's people. Very much like our midwestern folks, except they farm lobsters and oysters instead of corn and cattle.

Hope you enjoy your new BMW! The xi all wheel drive will certainly come in handy in both Maine and Nebraska in the winters.

Cheers,
Neely

Canuck BMW
05-09-2007, 08:15 AM
I have a 2008 M5 with the RAZR V3 phone cradle and the USB/Aux. Adapter underneath. Even a USB Jump drive fits in the USB port with the phone cradle in place. There's also lots of room for your IPOD or MP3 player under the phone cradle. I currently have a SanDisk 2GB MP3 player, Aux. Cable, SanDisk Jump Drive and about $20 in coins, for parking, in the storage area, and there's still lots of room.

HWF
05-09-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm planning to pick up a RAZR V3 this week, since my current cell phone is not BT equipped. What about the cradle/adaptor? Should I simply call my BMW service center for the part and installation? Thanks.

Canuck BMW
05-09-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm planning to pick up a RAZR V3 this week, since my current cell phone is not BT equipped. What about the cradle/adaptor? Should I simply call my BMW service center for the part and installation? Thanks.

Yup...that's the quickest way. They also have to do a programming change, so you may as well let them install the parts too.

nekountze
05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Enjoy your trip! I know you'll have a blast touring around Europe in your new wagon. I absolutely love mine. If you loved Maine so much why'd you go to the midwest? Bowdoin is a lovely campus. Lots of people I work with are Bowdoin grads. A friend of mine's daughter is looking at Bowdoin, Bates and Colby. I've been encouraging Bowdoin. Can't imagine being stuck in Lewiston or Waterville!

By the way, make certain when you take delivery that they give you the cable for the I-Pod. For some reason, the cable didn't ship with my wagon (or any of the 2008 5's), but did come stored in the glove compartment on the new 335's. I had to wait a couple of weeks to get mine from the dealer. In fact, it just arrived yesterday in the mail.

Good luck with your trip. Send pictures!!

I'm 5th Generation from Omaha, so I had to return. Love it here too, however. On the Bowdoin thing vs those other schools, there is no comparison. I might be biased, however...

Thanks for the heads-up on the adapter cable. I have called my local dealer and they "say" they are locating the part to send with me. I'f iI don't get it soon I'll suggest they borrow one from a 3 series.

Now... that info alone is a great reason to join bimmerfest! Cheers, Neely

nekountze
05-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Yup...that's the quickest way. They also have to do a programming change, so you may as well let them install the parts too.

I just bought the RAZR v3 adapter cradle (3) parts from Circle BMW, and the install looks very straight forward. As to programming, I did not think of that, thinking the RAZR might be just identified automatically. Are you sure there is programming by the dealer necessary? There are only the power and an antenna connection going to the phone, and I thought the BT connection would still be active to connect to the main display and controls. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Neely

fp60
05-09-2007, 06:25 PM
anyone have pics of the cradle with the phone in it please!?

Canuck BMW
05-10-2007, 11:07 AM
I just bought the RAZR v3 adapter cradle (3) parts from Circle BMW, and the install looks very straight forward. As to programming, I did not think of that, thinking the RAZR might be just identified automatically. Are you sure there is programming by the dealer necessary? There are only the power and an antenna connection going to the phone, and I thought the BT connection would still be active to connect to the main display and controls. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Neely

I just checked with my mechanic at the dealership, and there is NO programming for the phone, other than ensuring that Bluetooth is working.

Canuck BMW
05-10-2007, 11:39 AM
anyone have pics of the cradle with the phone in it please!?

Here you go, including one showing a jump drive plugged in.

fp60
05-10-2007, 07:00 PM
GREAT!!! Thanks for the pics!!! The dealer called me today.. car should be in next week.
He estimated the cost for the cradle etc.. to be approx. $400 bucks (including installation..)
this sound about right?!?!
:dunno:

BTW awesome color and vent seats! Just like the one I ordered!!!!

If you go to BMW.com you can download the BMW Rondel and a few other sound waves for your phone!! :)

Thanks RICK!!

nekountze
05-10-2007, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=fp60;2368865]GREAT!!! Thanks for the pics!!! The dealer called me today.. car should be in next week.
He estimated the cost for the cradle etc.. to be approx. $400 bucks (including installation..)
this sound about right?!?!

I paid $272.75 deliverd for the 3 parts required over the internet from Circle BMW for my 2008 535xiT and they just arrived. Installation looks very easy.

Cheers,
Neely

nekountze
05-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I just checked with my mechanic at the dealership, and there is NO programming for the phone, other than ensuring that Bluetooth is working.

Thanks, Canuck BMW! I appreciate this info. I didn't think there was any real programming needed. BTW, my parts came with instructions in German, but the kit looks very straightforward and just a couple of plugs to connect and then snap it in. I think even I can handle that!

Cheers,
Neely

Canuck BMW
05-11-2007, 05:26 AM
You're welcome guys!
Yes, $400 sounds like a bit too much. I think my mechanic only spent 30 minutes installing the parts, so labour is minimal, and you should be able to install it yourself.

Canuck BMW
05-11-2007, 05:32 AM
If you go to BMW.com you can download the BMW Rondel and a few other sound waves for your phone!!

Where on the BMW.Com web site are these downloads? I looked under the Bluetooth section and didn't see it. If it's under the Owner's Circle, I can't access that (only for US customers). If so, could you send me a PM and I'll give you my email to send the files?

fp60
05-11-2007, 06:38 AM
I will look tonight and send it to you private message. try bmw.com and do a search for downloads or cell phone wall paper downloads.

fp60
05-11-2007, 02:48 PM
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/index_highend.html

OK there is the website...
check it out under downloads, they have a section for MDA/PDA's, cell phones and PC's.:)

Canuck BMW
05-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Thanks!

fp60
05-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Anytime!

ebrill
05-20-2007, 07:16 AM

Thanks for any advice,
Neely
we just got the 535xi wagon and love it- question... we got the ipod to work but we cant find how to recharge it. is there in car plug to charge?? also we cant find the phone recharger. we are using bluetooth and its awesome-

stream
05-20-2007, 08:55 AM
we just got the 535xi wagon and love it- question... we got the ipod to work but we cant find how to recharge it. is there in car plug to charge?? also we cant find the phone recharger. we are using bluetooth and its awesome-

The iPod is charged through the USB part of the special cable that comes with the factory installed iPod/USB interface option.

There is no phone recharger.

iversonm
05-20-2007, 11:01 AM

I think she'll be impressed with the tour. My wife reluctantly attended the tour, and was quite happy that she did.

Enjoy your trip.

fp60
05-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I just WUVVVVVVVVVVVVVV my car!!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Starab
05-20-2007, 05:58 PM
I know it is a very good thing but I am hesitant to buy.
I think the cellphone cradle works for only that specific phone.
We cannot use the same cradle for different cellphone/carrier/upgrade to different phone.
You have to take it out when you leave the car for any reason.
I keep mine close to me in car where I can reach it very easily.
And also BMW has very limited cellphone choice compared to some other luxury cars.

nekountze
05-22-2007, 03:22 PM
I think she'll be impressed with the tour. My wife reluctantly attended the tour, and was quite happy that she did.

Enjoy your trip.

This is truely a great tour. Paint shop is fully included. we had a pleasant and intellegent and fully informed young lady (getting her Doctorate in DC this fall) guide our group of about 20 for 2 1/3 delightfull hours. Even my skepical wife raved about this tour. You will see more of the plant than you can imagine, but wear jogging shoes - over 3 miles. This makes me even happier I purchased a ED vehicle, and mine is not even made at Munich Works. If your are not impressed then I cannot help you...

BMW Welt is very close to being finished. Skip the temporary museum - not worth the considerable effort to reach it before the tour.

Now - I'm ready to have Rolf pick me up at our hotel at 6:45 am to get my new 535xiT tomorrrow am.

Cheers, Neely.

fp60
05-22-2007, 05:54 PM
OK got the beast.
Cradle and iPod work perfectly.
I just have to figure out how to program the 6 buttons for the iDrive.
:))

Boomer 33
06-30-2007, 11:00 AM
I have the parts now to install the adapter for the razor. Before I start busting everything loose, does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the tray? I don't see any screws so far to remove. Also, do you have to take the rear console lid off as well? Any tips would be appreciated. I imagine the concept of removal is the same acorss more models then the M6 so don't let that stop you. Thanks ,,,, Boomer

stream
06-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I have the parts now to install the adapter for the razor. Before I start busting everything loose, does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the tray? I don't see any screws so far to remove. Also, do you have to take the rear console lid off as well? Any tips would be appreciated. I imagine the concept of removal is the same acorss more models then the M6 so don't let that stop you. Thanks ,,,, Boomer

Here you go:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172379

Boomer 33
06-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks. I will have to look at it some more. My console is constructed differently unfortunately. But that gives me some good info regardless!
Boomer

Starab
06-30-2007, 02:21 PM
I do not think that I will buy cradle as it is not Universal. You are stucked with the same phone(new/old) that goes with the same cradle. It cannot be used for different phones when we get some other different phone for any reason.

BMW should have made just like I-Pod accessory that can go with any phone and more choice of cell phones (as other cars) that are compatible with BMW autos. The choice is limited.

Boomer 33
06-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Got it installed. Thanks for the help.