BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

550i for 71K MSRP...what should I offer "VA"

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  My08535i 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and have been reading this site literally for the past 2 weeks. I am planning to purchase either the carbon black or alpine white 550i.
My salesperson was able to locate several carbon black but none in alpine. Hmm...I thought carbon black was more rare even though the carbon was suppose to be exclusive to the 550i

The sales person was able to knockoff 2% off the MSRP so $71,000 -2%=$69,580
I dont think thats much of a discount. The 550i is not rare compare to the M5 but more rare than the 528/ 535i. Do you think I have a chance at 5-6% ($3550-$4260" off MSRP?

Should I wait till June for the shift paddles? Would I be missing out w/o it? Thanks guys!

#2 ·
I think you can do better...

I did better earlier in the model year (last fall) - with the advent of the '08, you should be able to get about what you are hoping off retail. Your call on waiting for the new model. I really enjoy my car; great balance between performance and daily drivability - btw, rarely go to manual shift; the sport setting is very well set up - I know Car and Driver let it run it's own course when they were running their performance times - the transmission did a better job in sport/automatic than when they were shifting. I have the metallic black; very sharp IMHO. Time is on your side, don't be afraid to negotiate at this point in the model life, and time of year. Good luck, and let us know how you come out.

#3 ·
I would be surprised if you can get 2000 off of MSRP on an 08 550i. If you can get 3000-4000 then you have found a motivated seller.

#4 ·
I got $1500 over invoice on my carbon black 550 on order. I think that's possible for anyone who's willing to call around and leverage dealers against one another. I'm in the DC area, if you don't mind buying from a dealer that's not local I'd be happy to give the name and dealership of my sales guy.

#5 ·
please do, I'm not too far from DC. I use to live in MD for 5 years after I grad from UMCP.
Thanks could u tell me what your MSRP was and how much was your final purchased price:)

#10 ·
Congrats Mike. Enjoy the new ride. :drive:

What color combo, and what options? I sent you a PM by the way.

Lou (also in St. Louis).

#11 ·
The fact you are using words like 'rare' says to me your in the wrong mind set.

I see people are PM'in you so that should be helpful.

However, I think you need to go in with the mind set of they are working for you and if they don't have what you want, you'll move on to the next guy.

They aren't doing you any favors, your doing them a favor by having them on your short list of possible dealers. They should be bending over backwards.

As for getting a deal, I think the dealers try to get more for 'in stock' items. You'd probably be better off ordering what you want and waiting for it to be built.

And most important, ALWAYS be ready to turn around and LEAVE. This is very effective.

#12 ·
I don't know what the selling price would be, but I just had 06 M3 in for routine service today at Leith BMW in Raleigh and they had a white 550 with sport package, nav, upgraded stereo and a few other things on the lot. MSRP was 70K and some change. I only mention this because you said you were having trouble finding one. Looks like you are in Williamsburg, which is not too far from Raleigh.

#13 ·
Yesterday I just picked up my 2008 550i Sport and 2 months ago when I ordered it, the dealers around SOCAL were not willing to take anything off MSRP. I finally found one that gave me $1K off MSRP, which was better than nothing.

The wait is well worth it and this car is amazing, especially with the Aerokit and new 19" sport rims.

#14 ·
You suck I have to wait 6 more weeks for mine. Hey how about some pics, I have the exact same color as you.

JC

#15 ·
Congrats to you JC and it seems you will have a nice vacation at the same time too. I wish I could do European Delivery in the future.

I'm working on the photos. This Space Gray Color is so beautiful and darker than the Silver-Gray that I had in the past. I am having too much fun driving this vehicle. The rims look so much better in person. The Aerokit is awesome too. I was worried that the front spoiler would look too low or too pimped out, but it's just right.

#16 ·
Man I wish the nice vacation would of worked out. I didn't get to have my ED experience. My wife is 8 months pregnant and our little girl is starting to decide that she has been cooked long enough. LMAO. My wife had to be admitted to the hospital for early delivery two weeks ago so I had to cancel my trip and have the car shipped to my dealer instead.

Well maybe next time.

Thats why I asked for the pics, because I won't get to see my car for another 6 weeks minimum. Also the way things are going with BMW it might take longer. My C/A sent in the paperwork and still had not gotten confirmation a week later about shipping my car instead of delivery in Munich. They just didn't respond to the folks in NJ.

Enjoy the beast!

#17 ·
Join the club JC. I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter and 5 month twin boy & girl so I am not going anywhere even out of the house soon :) Congrats on your upcoming new addition and my twins were premies, so we going to the hospital early preparing for the early birth was a trying experience.

Also the new Electronic Shifter is cool. Looks complex at first but it's so easy to use and kind of cool.

One last thing the exhaust sound has been made louder by BMW, so when you start this baby up, it sounds sooooo good. Man it sounds like a race car. So sweet.

However I have to say my wife's Escalade when it starts up is more of a monster sound and probably scares women and children that are anywhere in close vicinity.

#18 ·
I forgot to add that some preliminary BMW Brochure info and even the Image Gallery on the updated BMW USA website shows a photo in the image gallery of a rear spoiler on the 550i Sport, this is NOT the case, the 550i Sport does not come with a rear spoiler as part of the Aerokit. You can probably still get the spoiler but only as a dealer added accesory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.