PDA

View Full Version : Wacky Nav Logic

Robert A
05-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Sometimes my nav system sends me on illogical routes that clearly make no sense. I always have Fastest Route selected.

1. While in San Diego on one of the Interstates, it directed me off the freeway onto one of the frontage roads with traffic signals when I was far from my destination. The route, as planned by the nav would have kept me running alongside the freeway for miles, until I jumped back on and it self corrected. Traffic info was clear and no detour was suggested before it directed me off the freeway.

2. In West Los Angeles going to the Valley, the logical route should have directed me eastbound on Wilshire Blvd (a straight shot direct to the freeway), then NORTHBOUND on the freeway (I-405), effectively a simple "L". For no explicable reason, it directed me off of Wilshire Blvd., the street I was already on, SOUTHBOUND down a side street to the next major boulevard further away. then east, then joining the northbound freeway one onramp further from my destination. Instead of a "L", it was more like a "U"

I have version 23, nav disc dated 1/2007, car built in October 2006.

Anyone share a similar experience and know what the cause is? My old trusty Garmin never would have done this.

stevepow
05-10-2007, 01:50 PM
My craziest route so far was coming from Bainbridge GA to Atlanta - normally about 250 miles - my 550 Nav wanted to take me south to Tallahassee, onto I10 to I75 and up - 450 miles :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: I tried every mode to get her to pick a reasonable route - no go.

Sometimes she is crazy :rolleyes:

Robert A
05-10-2007, 02:07 PM
My question is whether the latest software v25 has addressed this issue. Does anyone know?

(As an aside, how can a nav system that's been in the E60-series for 4 years not have been improved upon by now?)

-Robert

My craziest route so far was coming from Bainbridge GA to Atlanta - normally about 250 miles - my 550 Nav wanted to take me south to Tallahassee, onto I10 to I75 and up - 450 miles :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: I tried every mode to get her to pick a reasonable route - no go.

Sometimes she is crazy :rolleyes:

astrohip
05-10-2007, 09:01 PM
My wackiest was going from Houston to Austin. If you know this part of the country, you know there are (primarily) two routes--US-290, or I-10/71. My 550 was about 2 months old, and this was my first road trip. Set the NAV... and it suggests I take I-45 north toward Dallas, then cut west somewhere about 150 miles north of Houston. This would take a 3 hour drive, and make it six! :dunno:

Took I-10, and it kept trying to get me onto I-45. Finding ways to circle Houston, back to 45. Finally, about 60 miles into the trip (Columbus TX), it decided my way was better, and picked I-10/71.

Who knows why? I haven't taken a trip to Austin since, so I don't know if it would try to take me via Big D or not. And on most other routes, it's pretty spot on.