PDA

View Full Version : Clay Bar ?

rost12
01-31-2002, 08:44 AM
Can someone explain what it does ?
Should I use it at all ?

Guest84
01-31-2002, 09:14 AM
Here's an article on it, I might add that alot of us do it because claybar will lift not only overspray (as the article points out) but contaminents that may imbed themselves into the finish. If you want to see what I mean, wash your car twice (Once with Dawn to strip wax, and again to be sure its absolutely dirt free) and then claybar, you'll see the contaminants inbedded in the claybar when your finished.

BE SURE to lubricate the surface well, I use left over rinse water from the second washing, and a good detail spray to wet the surface first.

http://www.carcareonline.com/overspray_clays.html

rost12
01-31-2002, 10:59 AM
Thanks.

But it is CLAY... I would have never though of rubbing my car with that :) I'm still young, I guess :)

Guest84
01-31-2002, 11:02 AM
It will not harm the clear coat, unless you get it dirty. You'll want to keep folding it in case when you use it. If it picks up large contaminents, pick them out of the clay. Just keep that surface lubricated. The first time I did it, I really thought that it was a waste of time, until I finished and started examining the clay!

I only clay it when I do a full fledge detail including a Porter cable polish, paint cleaner, and wax job. That being once or twice a year.

Chris325i
01-31-2002, 01:56 PM
I used clay on my car when it was just a couple of months old. After washing & before waxing it was squeaky clean, but I could still feel little bumps in the finish. Too small to even see.

After hearing about clay, I got the Mother's clay kit (a clay bar & some quick detail spray, about $16) and did the hood of the wife's minivan (94 Astro w 100K, the testbed for all new detailing products). I was nervous about scratching but it went great. After that I did my 325i, followed up with Klasse All in One & Sealant glaze. After the claying all those little bumps were gone, with the Klasse on top it's like butter.

rost12
01-31-2002, 02:36 PM
I think I saw that Mother's clay bar kit in some local store.
Thanks a lot for the input, guys. I'll claybar my car in spring, I guess (looks out the windows and shivers).

RJ
01-31-2002, 06:31 PM
I understand this product is used by body shops.

http://www.clay-magic.com/products.asp

Good luck with your detailing.

GTI
01-31-2002, 06:56 PM
Don't forget Zaino Clay bar too!!
You can't go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned above.(Together with Mothers and ClayMagic)

Don't use Meguiar's Clay though.

in_d_haus
02-01-2002, 08:02 AM
Some clays are more abrasive than others, you need to be careful

ChrisF
02-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by GTI
Don't forget Zaino Clay bar too!!
You can't go wrong with any of the 3 mentioned above.(Together with Mothers and ClayMagic)

Don't use Meguiar's Clay though.

Griots clay bar? Any experience with that one?

Guest84
02-01-2002, 06:57 PM
In-d-haus and I both use Griots Clay, good stuff!