PDA

View Full Version : in praise of fold down seats

bargamon
05-11-2007, 07:11 AM
After coming out of an allroad I decided to get the fold down seats. At $495 its a bit steep and while many inexpsinsive cars have it (for many years) its still a very nice option.

The handles in the trunk make it very acessable and easy to use.

THe seats folded down also protect my seating surface if I want to put the dog crate on it or a box.

I bought a printer at costco the other day and the box would not fit in the trunk!

Fold the seat down and it sat nice over the back seat.

Great execution with the handles make this a very usable option, much more than I would have thought.

GolferEngineer
05-11-2007, 08:36 AM
I agree! I bought a 6 foot folding table at Lowe's and hod a couple of inches to spare.:thumbup:
Very useful but I should have gotten the rear seat heaters - I didn't becasue the kids are out of the house but I failed to realize how many folks want a ride.

jcflys
05-11-2007, 09:14 AM
I didn't get it because I have an suv, but honestly BMW should include this in the price of a 70K car.

HWF
05-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I have the fold down seats, but haven't even tried it yet. Do I have to be concerned about the rear seat belts before moving the handles in the trunk? The owners' manual mentioned the belts.

stevepow
05-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I have had them in every BMW I've had - except an M3C - fold down seats or fold down top is a must for me.

stream
05-11-2007, 10:51 AM
I've taken advantage of mine a few times--great for the few times you want to haul a large item.

chrischeung
05-11-2007, 11:16 AM
I used to have them in my E46 323ci. Its a nice compromise over an SUV or wagon. They were useful when moving apartments, having extra luggage etc. But the E60 has a pretty large boot/trunk (about a third larger than the 3er). I haven't ordered the option on my last 3 cars.

If I need the carrying capacity now, I just rent a Corolla ($25/day), Enterprise ($55 for a 3 day weekend), or Home Depot ($10-15 an hour?). I don't have a huge house, so I often don't have the need to carry that much, and the on-call solution works for me.

In the 3er, they mentioned a loss in rigidity with the fold down seats. I'm not sure about the E60 though. Probably negligible.