PDA

View Full Version : Run Flats

juventus
05-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Since Run Flats have become standard, how many people out there have changed their Run Flats soon after they got the car.

Do Run Flats provide better road grip/handling?

zen68
05-11-2007, 08:54 AM
In my opinion, run-flat tires still have a long way to go. My car came with Bridgestone RF and I hated it. Feel unsettle and doesn't grip very well. After 6K miles, I switched to regular tires (Michelin PS2) and the difference is day and night.
The general consensus on this board is get rid of your RF if you can. Just make sure you have a spare :)

Russ Williams
05-11-2007, 09:23 AM
I have the Dunlops on my recently purchased '05 545i and I hate them. However, they were recently replaced and since I just spent a bundle on purchasing the car I will live with them for another 8-10 months. I Cannot wait to get PS2s put on but I will also need to make a decison about staying with the 124 wheels or moving up to the 166 M wheels.

stream
05-11-2007, 09:49 AM
I replaced my RFTs after 17,000 miles with PS2s and it's like night and day. Better handling, along with a more comfortable and quieter ride.

domin8r
05-11-2007, 01:12 PM
For those who switched away from the RFT's, what did you do for a spare?

finknottle
05-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Excuse my ingnorance but can you fit PS2s onto the my 18" wheels that are fitted currently with run-flats 530d auto 53 plate?

stream
05-11-2007, 02:30 PM

My car came with a space saver spare--yours should have one as well (below the trunk floor).

stream
05-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Excuse my ingnorance but can you fit PS2s onto the my 18" wheels that are fitted currently with run-flats 530d auto 53 plate?

Mine fit on my BMW style 124 18" wheels. I don't think there's a special "run flat wheel" that won't accept non-RFTs.

bklyn550
07-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I have noticed cracking in my rear tires on my 550. ANyone else having this issue I know they are loud but I want to keep them. Anyone beat the dealer for new tires.

Spyder
07-15-2007, 10:59 AM

650's come with RFT's, but M6's do not. Neither car has any sort of spare, but the M6 comes with BMW's Mobility Kit to make up for a lack of spare on a car with conventional tires.

I purchased this kit for my 650 with a view toward replacing my FRT's with PS2's down the road. On a 650, the Mobility Kit fits perfectly into the cut-outs in the spare tire well. As mentioned, 5ers come with a spare (at least my ED 535 did), so no need for the kit unless you're into redundancy.

Spyder

MSAMMY
07-15-2007, 06:24 PM
I replaced my RFTs after 17,000 miles with PS2s and it's like night and day. Better handling, along with a more comfortable and quieter ride.

Stream, what happens with TPM if non-RFT's are on the car? Will the Tire Pressure Monitor still work? :confused:

jowct
07-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Not jumping into the Stream, so to speak, but the pressure monitor works, but is a misnomer: the mechanism measures the differences in rotation speed that occurs when a tire is underinflated. So it works without actual pressure sensors. At least I fervently hope it does, just having abandoned my E64 RFT's for M6 wheels and tires, and a "mobility kit". Hope that phrase is not just wishful thinking. Hope I don't have to find out.

iversonm
07-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Not jumping into the Stream, so to speak, but the pressure monitor works, but is a misnomer: the mechanism measures the differences in rotation speed that occurs when a tire is underinflated. So it works without actual pressure sensors. At least I fervently hope it does, just having abandoned my E64 RFT's for M6 wheels and tires, and a "mobility kit". Hope that phrase is not just wishful thinking. Hope I don't have to find out.

You are both correct and incorrect.

Older US BMWs, as well as most non-US models, do as you say. This system is called FTM (flat tire monitor) by BMW.

All new BMWs sold in the US, as well as any other cars, use direct pressure monitoring systems, as dictated by the TREAD act. This is called TPM by BMW.

Spyder
07-15-2007, 09:52 PM
...and to answer the previous poster's question, switching to conventional tires from RFT's should not effect he operation of TPM.

umermariner
05-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Hello Guys,

Just got a 530i with sports package (18 inch wheels), and it also has run flat tires. One quick question, can I just swap them with regular tubeless tires at the time of next tire change (using the same rims etc). Someone I knew had Lexus, and he said you have to change rims in order to change to regular tires.

Thanks.

heffdiddy
05-24-2012, 02:32 PM
you can change to non run-flats anytime you want.

to the best of my knowledge a 530 with the sport package would have 17's though.

Oceans10
05-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Run flats make your car feel like it is riding on over inflated winter tires. They are hard, unforgiving, heavy, terrible in hard cornering, can even damage the rims on hard bumps.
BMW must have decided that their customers prefer to suffer with poor ride quality in order to avoid having to use the jack and spare if they ever get a flat. (Honestly, how often is that?)
I consider them an abomination and replaced them immediately on my sedan. What a relief. It felt like I got a brand new car. Quiet, nimble, athletic, engaging, everything you associate with a BMW.

Tires are incredibly important, so if you happen to be riding on a set of RFTs, replace them as soon as possible. You will rediscover the car's innate ride qualities.

Oceans10
05-24-2012, 06:09 PM
Hello Guys,

Just got a 530i with sports package (18 inch wheels), and it also has run flat tires. One quick question, can I just swap them with regular tubeless tires at the time of next tire change (using the same rims etc). Someone I knew had Lexus, and he said you have to change rims in order to change to regular tires.

Thanks.

Go to TireRack.com and enter your car year and model. They will give you great choices for your existing rims. Great outfit, very knowledgable. If you are unsure, call them and an advisor will guide you.

Oceans10
05-24-2012, 06:16 PM
I have the Dunlops on my recently purchased '05 545i and I hate them. However, they were recently replaced and since I just spent a bundle on purchasing the car I will live with them for another 8-10 months. I Cannot wait to get PS2s put on but I will also need to make a decison about staying with the 124 wheels or moving up to the 166 M wheels.

I was in the same boat as you but decided to stay with the staggered 124s. Having driven other 5s with 19" upgrades I have decided to stay with the 124s. These are excellent BBS rims, and combined with my sports suspension they provide just the right amount of dampening for daily driving needs. They are not bad looking either, but my main concern is overall handling and feel.

To the other posters, PS2 are awesome tires. The new PSS are even better, more grip. But PS2 is like buttah! :bigpimp:

TRS550
05-24-2012, 06:37 PM
I dumped the Dunlop SPO1's when they wore out and had Mich Pilot Super Sports installed.

umermariner
05-24-2012, 07:56 PM
you can change to non run-flats anytime you want.

to the best of my knowledge a 530 with the sport package would have 17's though.

Really????
Anyway, i have 18 inch wheels, and sports seats, steering... Wheels might have been added later though :)