PDA

View Full Version : I Just spent a couple hours with a 535i Loaded & 550i Loaded--My Opinion

SoCalM5Mang
05-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Hey Guys and Gals! This is my first post to this listserve.

I wanted to say Hi to everybody! This is clearly one of the more authoritative sites on the net for BMW. It's very well run I appreciate the discussion.

I work in the Automotive Interactive Marketing Universe. One of the biggest 3rd party sites. My knowledge of the car business from OEM-Dealership(Front End-Back End-Financing etc)is strong. I'm currently driving the first 2006 M45 Sport available in CA in 05. It's a nice car but it's not a BMW. ;-)

Anyways....I was flat blown away today after driving the 08 550i Fully Loaded(Auto). I drove the 535i(also loaded)and before that I drove the Audi RS4-S4 and S4 Cab(Manual tranny's all).(all today)

Let me be the first to say it. What BMW has done with this automatic tranny is amazing. I was reluctant to even drive it when specifically requesting a 5 speed. My guide told me I didn't need it. I was like..."uhh...well I want it".....He proceeded to tell me about the wonders of the new computer shifting in sport mode etc...I obviously allowed him to convince me and OMG......ladies and gentleman. For the first time maybe ever(and this includes Porsche-Audi-and higher line all which I have driven in tiptronic-sport mode S mode whatever.)BMW has actually created an automatic which mimics a true manual..closer than anything else I have ever driven.

I absolutely couldn't believe it. Just flat out amazing torque(all thru power band) and no hesitation or torque converter lockup like on my Infiniti M45 Sport. I drove this sucker at all speeds and environments in about 45 mins of testing. Car was brand new--not broken in and I will guarantee this car pulls a 4.9 0-60 upon break in. And yes I've driven the 07 550i---this car even with the same engine is noticeably faster....much faster.....it's gotta be the computer improving the throttle response--Maybe the new "two stage intake manifold"? No HP improvement of course but it majorly passes the "look-feel and smell test"....The BMW folks also agree....God Bless Teutonic engineering.

to the comparison----the 535i is a really nice car....it's fast but nowhere near what the 550i feels like....there is very modest turbo lag when downshifting at certain speeds.---the suspension on the 535i is not on par with the 550i. Not even close. You can feel this. Cornering---ride stiffness and road grip is dramatically improved with this new M-suspension Sprt Pckg. I would honestly get a 335i if I was considering the 535i as the suspension is better and the car is a bit lighter. The rev matching in the BMW is awesome on this new engine. My M45 Sport was the first car to offer this and BMW has far surpassed Infiniti now. I was blown away how easy it was to downshift at 4500rpms from 4th to 3rd without any hesitation or car jerk.

Both BMW cars inside are still cheaply adorned compared to their audi counterparts. Definitely like the BMW new car smell more. ;-) I will say I didn't have the Dakota Leather to compare in the BMW....but the Recaro seats in the Audi are much nicer. Audi Navigation is better than I-Drive. The New highly sensitive radio control on the i-Drive is wack....If you spin it a couple of times it spins your dial 3-4 times thru without stopping. Strange. I love the iPod interface on the BMWs. This is slick. I was told you will see iPod Display on the Nav screen with the correct input connection? Anyone verify?

the Sport Package on the 550i is a real head turner. Absolutely. Most people think it's an M5--at least two people did at a couple of lights I was stopped at. ;-) Rims are beautiful. I drove the Space Gray with Black leather interior. I also drove the 535i in Silver. Both desirable colors and BMW has a distinct advantage in the paint dept over Audi.

I guess what I'm saying is that BMW has dramatically stepped up their game with the new 08 550i. I wonder how it would drive without sport pckg(in comparison)? If you are considering a 5 Series and want the best the Teutons can offer---the 550i with Sprt Pckg is your choice. For power-performance-handling-aesthetics---the 535i can't touch it. It just can't.

Now if you put the same sport package on the 535i---for 10k lower I think you could make do(with less power of course).

My only remaining question is how this car will feel in a true manual versus this new automatic tranny....honestly....it's hard to imagine the manual will be faster or pull more. Maybe a highly skilled driver could get 1/10th of a sec faster low end to the quarter but in real world driving this auto tranny in sport mode is insane.

And lastly....unchipped....no way in hell the 335i beats the 550i from stand still 0-60mph...not the 08 550i....You want more from BMW stock?...you gotta go M-series baby.

feel free to ask questions if I left anything else out.

SoCal

Aristo E39
05-13-2007, 08:46 PM
i want your job testing cars omg lol

cccplus
05-13-2007, 09:30 PM
nice write. i enjoyed reading this. keep it up.

m123xyz
05-13-2007, 09:42 PM
wish you would've driven the 535/335xi would've loved your informed opinion.

great write up. the bmw sales team would thank you.

lskari
05-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Great write-up! I can't wait to get my 550!! (July ED delivery, sports package with sports transmission - carbon black...quite an upgrade from my Honda Accord)

BMWSTL
05-13-2007, 10:02 PM
to the comparison----the 535i is a really nice car....it's fast but nowhere near what the 550i feels like....there is very modest turbo lag when downshifting at certain speeds.---the suspension on the 535i is not on par with the 550i. Not even close. You can feel this. Cornering---ride stiffness and road grip is dramatically improved with this new M-suspension Sprt Pckg. I guess what I'm saying is that BMW has dramatically stepped up their game with the new 08 550i. I wonder how it would drive without sport pckg(in comparison)? If you are considering a 5 Series and want the best the Teutons can offer---the 550i with Sprt Pckg is your choice. For power-performance-handling-aesthetics---the 535i can't touch it. It just can't.

My only remaining question is how this car will feel in a true manual versus this new automatic tranny....honestly....it's hard to imagine the manual will be faster or pull more. Maybe a highly skilled driver could get 1/10th of a sec faster low end to the quarter but in real world driving this auto tranny in sport mode is insane.
SoCal

Interesting review, but subjective. I'd like to see what the car magazine tests will show for 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, slalom, skidpad, braking, etc.

Lou

ANZAC_1915
05-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Interesting review, but subjective. I'd like to see what the car magazine tests will show for 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, slalom, skidpad, braking, etc.

Lou

I predict the 0-60 will be VERY close.

M5-BEAR
05-13-2007, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the great post..

I just traded my 2001 M5 for a 2008 550i Sport Automatic
Love the 550 so far

barnaut

M5 BEAR

2008 550i Sport Jet Black/Black Dakota Leather
2005 SL55 AMG Black/Ash AMG Leather
2001 M5 Jet Black/Black Leather {Gone}

ANZAC_1915
05-14-2007, 08:18 AM
I predict the 0-60 will be VERY close.

I take that back - I missed the bit where you said it was an 08 550i. I was unimpressed with the 07 550i.

hormazd
05-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Great Post. I enjoyed the read.
The 550i 6spd also has a short shifter to add to the pleasure.

They have tuned the exhaust for sound but I was not aware of any engine intake tuning that differs from the 07 550. Can you elaborate and post links to this data please.

Tanin
05-14-2007, 07:24 PM
I work in the Automotive Interactive Marketing Universe. One of the biggest 3rd party sites. My knowledge of the car business from OEM-Dealership(Front End-Back End-Financing etc)is strong.

I was reluctant to even drive it when specifically requesting a 5 speed.

SoCal

Next time request a 6 speed. 5 speed manual E60's are tough to find.
I suggest you spend some more time on this site before you make claims about your automotive knowledge :confused:

PS. Welcome to the site :)

SoCalM5Mang
05-14-2007, 07:33 PM
My apologies.....it was semantic...purely.

Meant to say 6 speed but 5 speed came out.

C'mon now....I'll put my knowledge to the test with you any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Not here to get into a pissing match with you and I apologize if I came off as arrogant---it was not my intention. But--- your sarcasm was clearly intended.

I don't have any reference to different engine intake but BMW does list it as being changed.

Trust me...I've driven both and the difference is night and day. I think it's computer more than anything....ECU--Intake?

Last thing I'll say and I'm fairly certain of this. When this new car dyno's out, it will be above 360HP. I can't prove this but if the 335i Engine is any indication of the "plausible deniability" of BMW's claims of "300HP and 300Pounds of Torque" BMW's engineers upped the ante on this engine too to make sure the 535i couldn't compete with it's E60 Flagship.

Just a hunch. ;-)

SoCal

Tanin
05-14-2007, 08:18 PM
C'mon now....I'll put my knowledge to the test with you any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Not here to get into a pissing match with you and I apologize if I came off as arrogant---it was not my intention. But--- your sarcasm was clearly intended.

SoCal

No need to defend how much you know unless you feel compelled.

Take a deep breath and exhale. Nobody is pissing in your Cheerios :)

SoCalM5Mang
05-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Reading this my comment about the engine-improved performance makes more sense

" A high proportion of customers are expected to specify BMW’s new six-speed automatic gearbox, with its new, more ergonomic, gear selector. Using upgraded hydraulics, an innovative torque converter and powerful software, the new automatic ‘box responds to the slightest movement of the throttle pedal with reaction times increased by 40 per cent, and shift times halved."

I personally believe this also dramatically improves performance and a skilled driver upon break in and the right launch will move this car under 5' 0-60mph.

SoCal

vern
05-15-2007, 07:05 AM
No need to defend how much you know unless you feel compelled.

Take a deep breath and exhale. Nobody is pissing in your Cheerios :)
+1 He might be trying to make a first impression of his expertise. A little braging never hurts.
cheers
vern

fueledbymetal
05-15-2007, 07:48 AM
I may have missed it, but did the 535 have the sport package? My understand is that the only differences between the 550 and 335 sport packages are the wheels.

stevepow
05-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Hmm - and that without the new sport tranny. Can't wait to see what they do with that.

stevepow
05-15-2007, 07:59 AM
I may have missed it, but did the 535 have the sport package? My understand is that the only differences between the 550 and 335 sport packages are the wheels.

Good Q - I was wondering the same thing. Looking at the announcements and the BYO WEB site, there's more to it than that:

550i Sport Package
In addition to Active Roll Stabilization, sport Leather steering wheel, shadowline trim and multi-contour seats, the
550i new optional Sport Package includes:
***8226; M Sport Suspension
***8226; Differentiated Exhaust pipes with a sportier sounding exhaust
***8226; 19***8221; Double Spoke Alloy wheels and non-run flat tires (Note: wheels contain M badging)
***8226; Aerodynamic Kit that contains body colored side rocker panels and body colored front and rear bumpers
***8226; The Sport Package is available in 7 colors: Alpine White, Jet Black, Titanium Silver Metallic, Space Gray
Metallic, Platinum Gray Metallic, Deep Sea Blue Metallic and Carbon Black Metallic. Carbon Black Metallic
is exclusive to 550i models equipped with the Sport Package.

I would expect just having non-run-flat tires would give a better feel, different suspension as well...

BMWSTL
05-15-2007, 11:14 AM
The 550i Sport Package includes a "7MP Sport Package." Does anyone know what that is?

Lou

BMWSTL
05-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Sorry, duplicate post, and I couldn't delete it.

Mac Daddy
05-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Good Q - I was wondering the same thing. Looking at the announcements and the BYO WEB site, there's more to it than that:

550i Sport Package
In addition to Active Roll Stabilization, sport Leather steering wheel, shadowline trim and multi-contour seats, the
550i new optional Sport Package includes:
• M Sport Suspension
• Differentiated Exhaust pipes with a sportier sounding exhaust
• 19" Double Spoke Alloy wheels and non-run flat tires (Note: wheels contain M badging)
• Aerodynamic Kit that contains body colored side rocker panels and body colored front and rear bumpers
• The Sport Package is available in 7 colors: Alpine White, Jet Black, Titanium Silver Metallic, Space Gray
Metallic, Platinum Gray Metallic, Deep Sea Blue Metallic and Carbon Black Metallic. Carbon Black Metallic
is exclusive to 550i models equipped with the Sport Package.
I would expect just having non-run-flat tires would give a better feel, different suspension as well...

+1 on the non-RFTs

The fact that they specifically spell out "M Sport Suspension" for the 550 only would imply that it is different from the 535, and previous 550s.

Mac Daddy
05-15-2007, 02:53 PM

Last thing I'll say and I'm fairly certain of this. When this new car dyno's out, it will be above 360HP. I can't prove this but if the 335i Engine is any indication of the "plausible deniability" of BMW's claims of "300HP and 300Pounds of Torque" BMW's engineers upped the ante on this engine too to make sure the 535i couldn't compete with it's E60 Flagship.

Just a hunch. ;-)

SoCal

Interesting comment. Car & Driver basically said as much about the N62 when comparing the 750i against the S550. If they did "tweak" the engine tuning though, I wonder why they wouldn't advertise it? :dunno:

My08535i
05-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Good write up, thanks, you make my job easier with posts like this (sales advisor- Richmond BMW- 2 year strong)

SoCalM5Mang
05-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Good write up, thanks, you make my job easier with posts like this (sales advisor- Richmond BMW- 2 year strong)

What up?

Do you agree? Can you tell there is noticeably increased HP with the new 550i over what is listed? (360)

I've been reading some of the European sites and many of them seem to be in agreement. The computer refinements to the ECU-Intake and Tranny are probably a quantum leap--allowing for more HP. I wouldn't be surprised if this engine was putting out closer to 380-400hp.

SoCal

My08535i
05-16-2007, 12:11 PM
I have been driving a modded M3 for the past 2 years, and I had a stock M3 for 2 years before my current m3. But the 550 is very tough, I mean launches like a rocket, and very reponsive. The 535 was quicker than the previous 530 but no where near as quick as the 550i. I tried launching it like I did in the 550 and it lags just a bit on the take-off.

But for financial reasons I ordered a 2008 535i Ti silver with Black Lthr and Bamboo Wood, Sport automatic, Premium, Cold Wthr, Sport, Nav, Prem Sound, Lane Departure Warning, Ipod Adpater, Heads Up Display, Anthracite Headliner, Comfort access, and HD Radio. I will probably add the M Body Kit, and thinking about M6 Wheels. The price difference between the 535 I ordered and an equvalent 550i is about $8200. Im trading in my M3.

I hear there will be great mod potential for the 535, so I figure I can eventually mod it up.

Deutschecar
05-16-2007, 12:21 PM
The exact reason i got the 550. I have modded cars. I wanted an un-modded luxury speed sled and from the sound of things, thats what i am getting. The 535 will be a great car for mods though. With a minimum of $ and very few "permanent" modifications, that motor should put out 400hp without any real strain. The drivetrain on the other hand...who knows, probably ok though. I am really itchin to hear this "enhanced" exhaust note on the 550.

Emission
05-16-2007, 12:22 PM
"And lastly....unchipped....no way in hell the 335i beats the 550i from stand still 0-60mph...not the 08 550i...."

Wanna put money on it? :p

Stock 335i's are turning 4.7 and 4.8's to 60 mph... and I am sure the '08 weighs even more than the '07 550i (the best "official" 0-60 I have seen is 5.0 seconds with a manual transmission).

One more thing...

You really have no right to come here and make statements like "...I'll put my knowledge to the test with you any day of the week and twice on Sundays" when you have <10 posts. :tsk: I haven't seen you list any personal credential that leads me (or anyone else) to believe you know anything more about cars than you can pull from the latest issue of Consumer Reports.

Why did you choose an Infiniti over a BMW in the first place - you can't honestly tell us you drove them back-to-back and chose the M45, can you?

My08535i
05-16-2007, 12:38 PM
I was asked about weight once before: Weight difference between a 335i Sedan and the 535i Sedan is 66 pounds.

SoCalM5Mang
05-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Wanna put money on it? :p

Stock 335i's are turning 4.7 and 4.8's to 60 mph... and I am sure the '08 weighs even more than the '07 550i (the best "official" 0-60 I have seen is 5.0 seconds with a manual transmission).

One more thing...

You really have no right to come here and make statements like "...I'll put my knowledge to the test with you any day of the week and twice on Sundays" when you have <10 posts. :tsk: I haven't seen you list any personal credential that leads me (or anyone else) to believe you know anything more about cars than you can pull from the latest issue of Consumer Reports.

Why did you choose an Infiniti over a BMW in the first place - you can't honestly tell us you drove them back-to-back and chose the M45, can you?

It offered more than the 545 did, outside of performance. The 545 was faster and that was/is about it.

It still does...and if you had any knowledge about cars...you'd know this as fact. Do I need to list all of the car magazines who chose the M45 over the 545 at the time they came out?

If you believe my lack of posts to this site is indicative of my knowledge about cars and this industry...you are just "mislead". Period. And..."AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH"...I don't work for Consumer Reports. I didn't intend to brag...I just wanted to let people know I wasn't full of **** when reporting what I did.

I will give you the 335 potentially pulling a faster time 0-60 but it's going to be about the driver and the launch.

5.0 is not accurate and time will bear that out on this 550i. Or maybe the car I was given was just a top secret mule with a modded V-8? Or maybe the technology of this V-8 is shared with the new upcoming V-8 in the M3? ;-)

I don't know. I've driven them all. The 550i I drove on Sunday May 13th was faster than any of the twin turbo 6's unmodded.

SoCal

zen68
05-16-2007, 02:58 PM
: popcorn:

Emission
05-16-2007, 03:30 PM
"...and if you had any knowledge about cars...you'd know this as fact. Do I need to list all of the car magazines who chose the M45 over the 545 at the time they came out?

There you go again. Funny, you certainly don't know what I do for a living... :rolleyes:

Why do you use "M5" in your moniker? ;)

Deutschecar
05-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Post counts=knowledge of autos.....never seems to work out that way, on any car forum, ever. Can we get back to the BMWs please? Anyone have a clip of the exhaust on the 550?

Emission
05-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Post counts=knowledge of autos.....never seems to work out that way, on any car forum, ever. Can we get back to the BMWs please? Anyone have a clip of the exhaust on the 550?

I agree 100***37;.

The 550i (that my brother owns, in 6-speed) has a very muted exhaust note (unfortunately). BMW never tuned the muffler for sound, more for lack thereof.

Deutschecar
05-16-2007, 04:40 PM
I am picking it up in a few days. I guess it doesnt really matter at this point, i just keep hearing/reading about how much better it sounds and like every other "enthusiast" my child like qualities tend to manifest themselves the most during the buildup to a new car purchase. I have to say, if i could have found an E92 the way i wanted it, i would have gotten it. I didnt even realize the new 550s were even around, until i asked my dealer after seeing someone post pics. Should be good.

quackbury
05-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Okay, time for everybody to chill.

What we have here is an OP who's a newbie, and hasn't spent enough time hanging on this board to know some basics - like iPod integration, the number of speeds in the 6MT, etc.

What he did was test drive a new E60 and flat out fell in love with it. Didn't we all do that once? And he got a little verbose with his enthusiasm - again lots of us are guilty of the same offense.

Emission, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but you and I both know there are a lot of members of your profession who are totally CLUELESS about high performance autos and high speed driving.

The guy has a hard-on for BMW's, and aspires to owning a 550, even if his current ride lacks a Roundel. Again, I think almost all of us were in that situation once - I say we cut him some slack.

Emission
05-16-2007, 09:38 PM
Okay, time for everybody to chill.

What we have here is an OP who's a newbie, and hasn't spent enough time hanging on this board to know some basics - like iPod integration, the number of speeds in the 6MT, etc.

What he did was test drive a new E60 and flat out fell in love with it. Didn't we all do that once? And he got a little verbose with his enthusiasm - again lots of us are guilty of the same offense.

Emission, I mean this in the nicest possible way, but you and I both know there are a lot of members of your profession who are totally CLUELESS about high performance autos and high speed driving.

The guy has a hard-on for BMW's, and aspires to owning a 550, even if his current ride lacks a Roundel. Again, I think almost all of us were in that situation once - I say we cut him some slack.

Very well said. My apologies to SoCalM5Mang.

The first car I learned to drive stick-shift was an E28 533i - I remember how fast it was (funny now, 'cause 0-60 was a blazing 8.1 seconds). The hard-on never diminished. ;)

mdreiling
05-16-2007, 09:45 PM
SoCal offered his observations as is quite common on internet forums. His write up seemed genuine and thoughtful. Since SoCal doesn't own a 550i, his comments have an aura of even greater objectivity.

The protests of others who take issue with SoCal's 335i performance comments seem less objective given the vested ownership they have in a 335i and the defensive and personal tone of the reply.

Emission
05-16-2007, 09:54 PM
SoCal offered his observations as is quite common on internet forums. His write up seemed genuine and thoughtful. Since SoCal doesn't own a 550i, his comments have an aura of even greater objectivity.

The protests of others who take issue with SoCal's 335i performance comments seem less objective given the vested ownership they have in a 335i and the defensive and personal tone of the reply.

Welcome to the Fest! :thumbup:

No vested interest here. My 335i is merely leased - gone in 32 short months. It's a fun car, and a fine daily driver, but I could point out flaws for hours... :)

In all honesty, if I had to purchase a car, it would be a 550i. The engine is bullet-proof, the power simply amazing, and those front seats are to die for.

ProRail
05-16-2007, 09:54 PM

Noted.

juventus
05-16-2007, 09:59 PM
and those front seats are to die for.[/QUOTE]

I thought that all sport packages on 2008 models, including the 535i, have the same seats.

stevepow
05-16-2007, 11:22 PM
I thought that all sport packages on 2008 models, including the 535i, have the same seats.

No, the ones on the 550i have a V8 planted in front of them :yikes: , otherwise yes, they are the same :D

SoCalM5Mang
05-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Very well said. My apologies to SoCalM5Mang.

The first car I learned to drive stick-shift was an E28 533i - I remember how fast it was (funny now, 'cause 0-60 was a blazing 8.1 seconds). The hard-on never diminished. ;)

It's all gravy! I would like to state for the record that I'm not a newbie to driving BMW's. I've driven most cars at some point. I'll be happy to send you a list of my "personal credentials" by email. :-)

To "Quackbury" who said I fell in love with the 550i....u r kind of right. Relative to my experience with driving 4 Audis right before and the 535 after the 550i...i realized how sick a piece of Teutonic machinery it really is compared to it's competitors. To say it truly has no equal in the Mid-Level Luxo Sport Sedan Class would be "correct"...."Winner Winner---chicken dinner"...

I wanted to add that I'll be driving the RS5 Audi really soon and believe it will be a great comparison....Based on what I've been reading about it...it might be genuine competitor to the 550i.-----BAR IS HIGH HOWEVER......

Thanks for the love--acceptance and ole fashion barbs....I'm glad to be a member of this fine community.

SoCal

quackbury
05-17-2007, 05:25 AM
Let us all know how you like the RS5.

And thanks for reminding us that you drove 4 Audi's before the 550. No wonder you were so jazzed! (After 4 dates with Rosie O'Donnell, even Paris Hilton would start to look good :freakdanc )

bimmerguy288
05-17-2007, 09:04 AM
(After 4 dates with Rosie O'Donnell, even Paris Hilton would start to look good :freakdanc )

4 dates with Rosie??? LMAO.

chonko
05-17-2007, 10:33 AM
It's all gravy! I would like to state for the record that I'm not a newbie to driving BMW's. I've driven most cars at some point. I'll be happy to send you a list of my "personal credentials" by email. :-)

To "Quackbury" who said I fell in love with the 550i....u r kind of right. Relative to my experience with driving 4 Audis right before and the 535 after the 550i...i realized how sick a piece of Teutonic machinery it really is compared to it's competitors. To say it truly has no equal in the Mid-Level Luxo Sport Sedan Class would be "correct"...."Winner Winner---chicken dinner"...

I wanted to add that I'll be driving the RS5 Audi really soon and believe it will be a great comparison....Based on what I've been reading about it...it might be genuine competitor to the 550i.-----BAR IS HIGH HOWEVER......

Thanks for the love--acceptance and ole fashion barbs....I'm glad to be a member of this fine community.

SoCal

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Let us know how the RS5 drives when Audi makes it available in the coming months.

Just to add something, the RS5 competes with the E92 M3, and a fair comparison from Audi will be the S6 with regards to the 550i.

My08535i
05-17-2007, 10:38 AM
Great Point Chonko. Sedans vs Sedans, Coupes vs. Coupes

Tanin
05-17-2007, 10:42 AM

SoCal

I'm Audi fan as well (owned 2 so far) and look forward to their next generation vehicles. If they made the S6 with a third pedal I might be on a different site right now.

We will continue to love and accept you. Regarding "barbs"...........isn't the RS5 a 2 door built on a A4"ish" platform (ie: 3 series ):angel:

All mockery aside......welcome to the site. I'm glad you are part of this growing community :thumbup: :thumbup:

Deutschecar
05-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Easy on the Audi bashing fellas. They are all ze German cars, yes? This will be my only car w/out 4 driven wheels. I wish someone with a Carbon Black 550 would post a lot of pics....maybe some rolling shots....or a video with a nice soundtrack.

Tanin
05-17-2007, 12:19 PM
Easy on the Audi bashing fellas. They are all ze German cars, yes? This will be my only car w/out 4 driven wheels. I wish someone with a Carbon Black 550 would post a lot of pics....maybe some rolling shots....or a video with a nice soundtrack.

Nobody is bashing Audi. I specifically said I like them :thumbup:

Deutschecar, I think I viewed some pics of a CB 550 in a thread titled " 2008 550i Sport Photos" They weren't the best but it may hold you over 'till delivery. Sounds like the wait is getting to you. We've all been there and understand your pain.

Emission
05-17-2007, 12:20 PM
The "RS5" is built on the next-generation "A4" platform (the current "A4" is on the "old" platform).

I've driven the S6 extensively (and S8, and RS4). My money would be on the S6 in a heartbeat if it had that clutch pedal (as Tanin points out). The S6 feels heavy, but it has some serious balls.

If it were Step 550i vs. S6, I'd go S6 as that V-10 sounds absolutely amazing (and Audi's interiors are top-notch). 6-Speed 550i vs. S6, I'd still go manual transmission... but the S6 is really built to battle the M5 (it's the Audi A6 4.2 V-8 that is head-to-head with the 550i).

gweiden
05-17-2007, 12:26 PM
Read this JD Powers' article on customer retention - It doesn't speak too well of Audi nor VW....
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2778

Excerpt:
26. Audi - 35.6 - If VW knew how to build cars that didn***8217;t have the long-term durability of a Kia Rio, they'd be the kings of the North American Yuppie market. Instead they offer the worst warranty in the entire industry and electronics that not even AC Delco would have tolerated back in the '70***8217;s.

Deutschecar
05-17-2007, 12:36 PM
S6 is just soooo boring IMO. Great motor, super-sleeper shell, but a fantastic interior. The 550 just felt more balanced to me, not a lightweight by any stretch, but a better driving "feel" (drove an 07) none the less. I had an E46 M3 and ever since i sold it i have missed the steering wheel and seats....and motor...and, you get it. This is a compromise of sorts in my world. I wanted to go a little bigger (M5/6) but for a semi-DD, the 550 is a really compelling package. My wife isnt too psyched about the auto-tranny but i keep telling her it will be good (crosses fingers). *******To Tanin- I saw those pics,:) and yes, chomping at the bit i guess. Meh, it will happen again, getting a new car never gets old, even though i do.....:D

quackbury
05-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Well, technically, the Trabant was a German car, too, so you can only take that argument so far.

I've owned a bunch of German cars: 2 Audi's, 4 Mercedes, 2 P cars and 3 BMW's, and there is a ton of difference in the feel of each marque. For example, regarding Emission's post, I test drove an A6 4.2 S Line extensively before I got my 2006 550. Nice interior, nice power, but really rough jarring ride compared to the SP E60. They sure didn't seem interchangeable to me.

I've driven a RWD 540 SP and a RWD 550 SP through 4 New England winters, and honestly don't miss AWD. But if it's a big deal to you, you can always opt for x-Drive (as good as or better than quattro IMHO).

And don't feel too guilty if you secretly prefer Rosie over Paris. I hear The Donald has a thing for her too....

Tanin
05-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Well, technically, the Trabant was a German car, too, so you can only take that argument so far.

I helped "push" a Trabant across the East German border years ago. Wrong car to be stuck behind in line.

M550
05-17-2007, 06:38 PM
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2778

Excerpt:
26. Audi - 35.6 - Instead they offer the worst warranty in the entire industry

What does this mean? Looks like Audi has pretty much the same warranty with the industry norm.

My08535i
05-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Drove the 535i tonite, and drove it longer to get a good feel for it, to me it feels as strong as it does in the 335i. The 535i isnt much heavier so the performance should be almost the same. I cant wait to try it out in sport mode. I loved the drive, and the lane departure warning is cool. Im glad I ordered mine with it.

doug_999
05-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Back off topic here...

I want to like/love the S6, I really do! But...
1. Information on the darn thing is so hard to find on Audi's website
2. When you do find the info you realize
a) the cool wheels that were shown at intro have been replaced by something not so nice IMHO
b) Those seats while they look cool, do not compare to the multi-contour seats in the BMW in terms of getting in and out of the car - you can get the "standard" seats - but yuck
c) No heated steering wheel. Audi used to have this on their A6, I think it is gone from there as well - I'm telling ya, this is a deal breaker for me.
d) The colors are terrible on this car - the blue and red are childish IMHO

Still, decently equipped at $77K and it just has to grab some 550 owners....

jonsibal
05-17-2007, 08:16 PM
I want to test drive the 535i with the Sport Auto transmission. Local dealer said I have to wait till mid June to drive one..

I can't wait.

I'm thinking Monaco Blue with Gray leather and Bamboo wood trim. Options that I speced so far are the Sport Package, Premium Sound, Rear folding seats ( I cant believe that's an option), Nav system, and PDC.

bmwguynj
05-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the Fest! :thumbup:

No vested interest here. My 335i is merely leased - gone in 32 short months. It's a fun car, and a fine daily driver, but I could point out flaws for hours... :)

In all honesty, if I had to purchase a car, it would be a 550i. The engine is bullet-proof, the power simply amazing, and those front seats are to die for.

Your time will come. I am now in my dream vehicle and it took me going through a 03 330i, 01 530i, 06 530xi and now finally my 08 550i sport. I have always longed for the 8 Cylinder BMW engine (still love the 6 Cylinder engines) and whenever I got a chance to drive my brother's old 02 X5 4.4 & now his 04 545i, it was the best feeling in the world with all that power and pull. It's worth it all!

My08535i
05-17-2007, 10:53 PM
I would so love to change my order from 535i to 550i, but the $8000+ price difference is alot for me. (still debating in my head though)

doug_999
05-18-2007, 12:00 AM
I would so love to change my order from 535i to 550i, but the $8000+ price difference is alot for me. (still debating in my head though)

It really comes down to the aero kit and colors if you ask me. The performance is very similar (per BMW .2 seconds slower for the 535). I really like Carbon Black and that's only avail on the 550 sport, then again I still love Monaco Blue and you can only get that (with sport) on the 535. Not being a fan of the front end on the aero kit, I'd probably have to save the $8K......

BMWSTL
05-18-2007, 07:03 AM
It really comes down to the aero kit and colors if you ask me. The performance is very similar (per BMW .2 seconds slower for the 535).

I'm not so sure about that anymore.

I went for a fairly short test drive (15 minutes or so) in a 535i with sport package and immediately spent the same time over the same route in a 550i with sport package yesterday. Not a great test, as it was mid-day and there was the usual daytime heavy traffic both on and off the highway, with new overpass, lane diverting road construction thrown in.

The 550 just "felt" faster and a better handling car. The 535 was quick, but not in the same way the 550 was fast. The 550 pulled in a more linear fashion, as you would expect from a V8, whereas the 535 had to rev up before it "engaged" (as you would expect from a boosted turbo-equipped car). The 535 felt rougher when driven over the irregular lanes in the construction areas. The salesman, who I respect very much for his car knowledge, speculated that the tire pressure in the run flats may have been set on the high end of the range. The 550 absorbed the bumps well (which surprised me given the 19's and stiffer suspension), and it seemed that the car was a more competent driver. The 535 had a great light feel to it though, whereas the 550 felt heavier. That's probably because of the difference in the front end weight, although the weight distribution is reportedly so close it's "the same."

This is very subjective, which is a 180 from my earlier comment about wanting to see some test results. I want to drive another 535 from another dealer (when one's available, they are tough to find here) on a Saturday when I don't have to put up with as much traffic and can go for a longer, more demanding test drive, and then do the same thing with another 550. But if I had to make up my mind today, even though it's more money, I'd take the 550.

Lou

My08535i
05-18-2007, 07:46 AM
I agree with the Rev Up factor in the 535, but the 535 was fun, Im getting Ti Silver so its not about color for me, I do like the Aero Kit, and I do like the wheels, but dont think the wheels and the kit are worth the extra $8000, on top of the difference I have to pay between my trade and the new car.

juventus
05-18-2007, 07:59 AM
I agree with the Rev Up factor in the 535, but the 535 was fun, Im getting Ti Silver so its not about color for me, I do like the Aero Kit, and I do like the wheels, but dont think the wheels and the kit are worth the extra $8000, on top of the difference I have to pay between my trade and the new car.

My08535, how does the 535 compare with the pre-LCI e60 like the 530 and 525?

I've ordered a titanium silver 535 as well without ever test driving it and am a little nervous. My car is at the port in Germany awaiting shipment.

zen68
05-18-2007, 08:09 AM
The 535 felt rougher when driven over the irregular lanes in the construction areas. The salesman, who I respect very much for his car knowledge, speculated that the tire pressure in the run flats may have been set on the high end of the range.

The 535 SP comes with run-flat tires so it will result in rougher ride, it also doesn't grip very well. Your saleman is obviously clueless about this.
The 2008 550i SP has regular tires = better ride and handling.
Personally, I prefer V8 because of concern about reliability of turbo design (even though it has more potential for after market tuning)

BMWSTL
05-18-2007, 08:30 AM
The 535 SP comes with run-flat tires so it will result in rougher ride, it also doesn't grip very well. Your saleman is obviously clueless about this.

No, you are incorrect. The suspension improvements on run-flat equipped cars have assisted prior rough ride issues for the most part. My salesman is very experienced, and has over 20 years of BMW selling, driving and education. He's hardly "clueless."

Lou

zen68
05-18-2007, 08:48 AM
The suspension improvements on run-flat equipped cars have assisted prior rough ride issues for the most part.
I disagree. My '07 550i SP came with run-flat tires and I hated it. After 6k miles, I switched to regular tires (Michelin PS2) and the difference is day and night, much better ride/grip.
If you decide to get the 535i, switch to regular tires after the OEM tires are worn. You'll thank me later :)
By the way, sorry to pick on your saleman. I couldn't help it, they are easy targets :D

italia550i
05-18-2007, 10:21 AM
I am finally at the point where I am able to part ways with my beloved 330i... I think. :cry:

So what's next, a 550 or 535? I like the idea of the 550 being ready "right out of the box" but I can't shake the modability intrigue of the 535. But with the 535, I see myself easily putting $10k into it (wheels, M aero kit, suspension, chip, exhaust etc).

I briefly test drove a 535 SP and was impressed with the power, but the suspension felt a little floaty and the car felt BIG to me. Jumping into my 330i after the test drive, I immediately sensed the lack of power... but boy did it feel good in terms of driver position, handling, and connectedness?

So for me, the car that feels smaller will be an important factor in my decsion. I guess that is mostly related to handling. Once the sport autos come out, I will test drive them both and share my opinions as well.

Tanin and Emission, I think I need to realy talk to you guys. And thanks to SoCal with what I thought was an excellent and insightful review of both cars.

stevepow
05-18-2007, 10:27 AM
You'll grow into the 5 and it will seem smaller. My first 5 seemed huge 7 years ago after years of 3s, but now it seems just right. Or get a new 3 - they seem pretty awesome.

Emission
05-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Unlike the 550i vs. 530i comparision of last year, the 550i and 535i should "drive" nearly identically in most every situation. With the exception of the 50 lb-ft of torque and 50 horses, you'd have to really focus to "feel" the difference. I'd bet most can't.

The big difference is work load. The 535i will have to work a lot harder to "simulate" the power of the V8. The twin-turbo inline-6 will run hotter, and have lower fuel economy.

In all honesty, for 95***37; of the people out there the 535i will be the perfect car. Those who "need" the 550i are the same type who pay the premium for a 760Li over a 750Li (and I don't mean that in a bad way!).

bmwguynj
05-18-2007, 10:50 AM
Unlike the 550i vs. 530i comparision of last year, the 550i and 535i should "drive" nearly identically in most every situation. With the exception of the 50 lb-ft of torque and 50 horses, you'd have to really focus to "feel" the difference. I'd bet most can't.

The big difference is work load. The 535i will have to work a lot harder to "simulate" the power of the V8. The inline-6 will run hotter, and have lower fuel economy.

In all honesty, for 95% of the people out there the 535i will be the perfect car. Those who "need" the 550i are the same type who pay the premium for a 760Li over a 750Li.

Oh man....those are fighting words :D

You can't go wrong with either vehicle. We are all lucky enough to just even own & drive a BMW. Both vehicles are not practical vehicles, if you wanted a practical vehicle buy the Toyota Camry.

My08535i
05-18-2007, 10:54 AM
LoL, I've driven both, and I just got back from a test drive with a customer in a 335i Sedan, and of the 3, the 335 handled the best. But all are good cars, and I stick to my order for the 535i.

Emission
05-18-2007, 10:59 AM
Oh man....those are fighting words :D

You can't go wrong with either vehicle. We are all lucky enough to just even own & drive a BMW. Both vehicles are not practical vehicles, if you wanted a practical vehicle buy the Toyota Camry.

I edited the "fighting words" you'll notice. :)

I agree the "perfect" sedan is an Accord or Camry, anything beyond that is an emotional (or egotistical?) purchase. :rofl:

bmwguynj
05-18-2007, 11:08 AM
I edited the "fighting words" you'll notice. :)

I agree the "perfect" sedan is an Accord or Camry, anything beyond that is an emotional (or egotistical?) purchase. :rofl:

Thanks again for making the edit. Always good to communicate with a fellow CALI member. But you are right also in the sense that you feel that your 5 series is a perfect / dream car.

Emission
05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks again for making the edit. Always good to communicate with a fellow CALI member. But you are right also in the sense that you feel that your 5 series is a perfect / dream car.

(Emission crawls under his desk in shame...)

I only have a 3-Series. ;)

bmwguynj
05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
(Emission crawls under his desk in shame...)

I only have a 3-Series. ;)

Please 335i is an awesome vehicle too and besides you're still young and having fun. The 335i is an awesome chick magnet!

Your time will come when you get old & married like me and will head up to a 5 series. I started with an 03 330i Sport and I miss that vehicle. It was so quick and fun to drive, so I can only imagine how much better it is not with the 335i!

Emission
05-18-2007, 11:36 AM
Please 335i is an awesome vehicle too and besides you're still young and having fun. The 335i is an awesome chick magnet!

Your time will come when you get old & married like me and will head up to a 5 series. I started with an 03 330i Sport and I miss that vehicle. It was so quick and fun to drive, so I can only imagine how much better it is not with the 335i!

ROFL... I've been married 14 years, I have two children... and I'll be 40 this summer. :)

I didn't "need" a 5-Series (I am self-employed, and I don't take clients out), and I like the "small and tossable" car, so I chose the 3-Series (my third). My wife has the "big car" in the family, I've got the toys.

If I only had one car, I'd have a 5-Series in a heartbeat.

M550
05-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Those who "need" the 550i are the same type who pay the premium for a 760Li over a 750Li (and I don't mean that in a bad way!).

LOL :rofl:

While at Dingolfing, admittly our tour was only a snapshot of the daily production, but I counted, ALL, I mean every 760i I saw in the assembly line were heading to China. I seriously doubt anything over 730i (the lowest 7) is necessary over there. :rofl:

doug_999
05-18-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm not so sure about that anymore.

I went for a fairly short test drive (15 minutes or so) in a 535i with sport package and immediately spent the same time over the same route in a 550i with sport package yesterday. Not a great test, as it was mid-day and there was the usual daytime heavy traffic both on and off the highway, with new overpass, lane diverting road construction thrown in.

The 550 just "felt" faster and a better handling car. The 535 was quick, but not in the same way the 550 was fast. The 550 pulled in a more linear fashion, as you would expect from a V8, whereas the 535 had to rev up before it "engaged" (as you would expect from a boosted turbo-equipped car). The 535 felt rougher when driven over the irregular lanes in the construction areas. The salesman, who I respect very much for his car knowledge, speculated that the tire pressure in the run flats may have been set on the high end of the range. The 550 absorbed the bumps well (which surprised me given the 19's and stiffer suspension), and it seemed that the car was a more competent driver. The 535 had a great light feel to it though, whereas the 550 felt heavier. That's probably because of the difference in the front end weight, although the weight distribution is reportedly so close it's "the same."

This is very subjective, which is a 180 from my earlier comment about wanting to see some test results. I want to drive another 535 from another dealer (when one's available, they are tough to find here) on a Saturday when I don't have to put up with as much traffic and can go for a longer, more demanding test drive, and then do the same thing with another 550. But if I had to make up my mind today, even though it's more money, I'd take the 550.

Lou

Couple of things
1. The 535 is going to ride worse. The run-flats (or thump flats as we like to call them) have such a stiff sidewall that their ride just can not be compared to a non-runflat tire like the one found in the 2008 550 sport. So many people here have tossed their perfectly good runflats and moved over to the non-run flats. The car has a spare so it is really not an issue.

2. Nothing feels quite like a V8. That said, it is almost impossible for any of us to tell which car is faster by the seat of our pants. I remember way back when in my GFs V8 Camaro - such a fast car - or at least it felt that way. Reports had it close to 9 seconds 0-60. So when cars are close in power/performance, the only way to really tell is to take em to the track.

3. As you have pointed out, the 535 is lighter - by some 265 lbs and a lot of that is up front (interestingly enough the 535 auto has a worse weight distribution than the 550 auto and yet it is the other way around (and worse) when comparing manuals. Very strange.)

Emission
05-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Couple of things
1. The 535 is going to ride worse. The run-flats (or thump flats as we like to call them) have such a stiff sidewall that their ride just can not be compared to a non-runflat tire like the one found in the 2008 550 sport. So many people here have tossed their perfectly good runflats and moved over to the non-run flats. The car has a spare so it is really not an issue.

2. Nothing feels quite like a V8. That said, it is almost impossible for any of us to tell which car is faster by the seat of our pants. I remember way back when in my GFs V8 Camaro - such a fast car - or at least it felt that way. Reports had it close to 9 seconds 0-60. So when cars are close in power/performance, the only way to really tell is to take em to the track.

3. As you have pointed out, the 535 is lighter - by some 265 lbs and a lot of that is up front (interestingly enough the 535 auto has a worse weight distribution than the 550 auto and yet it is the other way around (and worse) when comparing manuals. Very strange.)

All very subjective statements. I'd like to offer some counterpoints:

1. Runflats save lives. They also allow your wife/girlfriend/daughter to keep driving instead of stopping on the side of the highway. BMW sets up the suspension for runflats. I like them.

2. This twin-turbo inline-6 "feels" like a V8 (especially with an underrated 300+ lb-ft of torque). One cannot ignore it was just named the best engine in the world (“International Engine of the Year”), and "Best New Engine for 2007."

3. The weight distribution is 51.8/48.2 (535i) vs. 51.7/48.3 (550i). Yes, a difference of just 1/10th of a percent. The real "balance champion" is the 50.3/49.7 of the 528i.

There are two sides to every coin.

The 550i is an excellent sedan, but so is the 535i. In fact, there are arguments to support the 528i as the "ultimate" enthusiast 5-Series (nearly 500 pounds lighter than a 550i).

I'd take any of them.

doug_999
05-18-2007, 05:40 PM

1. Runflats save lives. They also allow your wife/girlfriend/daughter to keep driving instead of stopping on the side of the highway. BMW sets up the suspension for runflats. I like them.

2. This twin-turbo inline-6 "feels" like a V8 (especially with an underrated 300+ lb-ft of torque). One cannot ignore it was just named the best engine in the world (***8220;International Engine of the Year***8221;), and "Best New Engine for 2007."

3. The weight distribution is 51.8/48.2 (535i) vs. 51.7/48.3 (550i). Yes, a difference of just 1/10th of a percent. The real "balance champion" is the 50.3/49.7 of the 528i.

The 550i is an excellent sedan, but so is the 535i. In fact, there are arguments to support the 528i as the "ultimate" enthusiast 5-Series (nearly 500 pounds lighter than a 550i).

I'd take any of them.

Subjective?
The 535 sport is going to ride worse. That is a fact. Runflats have a stiff side wall as part of their core technology - they will ride worse than a comparable non runflat tire. That's not subjective - that is fact. There are plenty of pros and cons to runflats (better in dry, worse in wet). Getting rid of your runflats without having a spare is a problem. The 5-series does not have that issue. For the record, my car is equipped with them and I have no intention of dumping them until they wear out.

"The only way to tell which car is faster is to take them to the track" - exactly how is that subjective? Subjective is saying a car "felt" faster. The only subjective thing I said was that nothing feels like a V8 (still there are those who will call that fact) :)

re: weight distribution
The 535i auto has 133lbs less weight over the front wheels. How's that?

My08535i
05-18-2007, 05:42 PM

2. This twin-turbo inline-6 "feels" like a V8 (especially with an underrated 300+ lb-ft of torque). One cannot ignore it was just named the best engine in the world (“International Engine of the Year”), and "Best New Engine for 2007."

I'd take any of them.

Many great points:thumbup: I am very pleased with your post. Excellent Neutral Information. :thumbup:

Emission
05-18-2007, 05:56 PM
re: weight distribution
The 535i auto has 133lbs less weight over the front wheels. How's that?

"The glass is half-full, or half-empty..."

You can also say the 550i has 131lbs more over the rear wheels! :D

(front/rear)

535i = 1919 / 1785
550i = 2051 / 1916

It's weight balance.

No matter, your 550i kicks my tail...

SoCalM5Mang
05-19-2007, 12:57 AM
Just got my 550i tonite. Space Gray-Black Dakota Leather with all Bells and Whistles save for Head Up Display(don't really see the point). Steptronic Auto.(Would have preferred Manual--but very hard to find)

Absolutely positively sick car in all regards. Having her tinted tomorrow and Rims are going black by Tuesday. So much love the iPod interface. ....Damn the Harmon Kardon errr...."BMW Sound" is so melodic.

I've drove her from LA to Dana Point tonight....Just got home....Opened her up a bit at times.....Just crazy power band from 3-5th in the steptronic. As I said previously....don't believe there is only 360HP. Has to be faster. Just has to be. Much diff than 07 550i.
M-Suspension is noticeably helping the car compared to previous Sprt Pck with 07. And wow is she a looker....Those rims catch everybody's attention. Most think it's an M-5. the large dual exhaust pipes are really menacing too...

I will take pics after tint tomorrow....I need to do some searches here to find out how to turn off the damn seat belt pinger....HATE IT!

Are there any 08 550i drivers who can comment on how this baby compares to the 07? Looking for performance gages/feel more than anything else....i can't wait to see the magazines/websites commentary upon their reviews. Will also be very interested in the Dynos.

Thanks to everybody for contributing to my first thread. I love this site.

SoCal has Got the Fever....."the Fever for a 550....the Fever for a 550...the Fever for a 550"....;-)

quackbury
05-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Congratulations! I think you may have set some type of record for 550 introduction => conversion => addiction => acquisition!

Post some pics and enjoy her in good health. (And at the risk of sounding like your mother , start wearing that seatbelt - you're gonna need it!)

quackbury
05-19-2007, 07:11 AM
You can also say the 550i has 131lbs more over the rear wheels! :D

(front/rear)

535i = 1919 / 1785
550i = 2051 / 1916

Okay, now why in the world would the 550 have more weight in the rear? I don't "think" there are any components (battery, etc.) moved to the back of the car vs. the 528 or 535. Does the 550 have a different (heavier / more robust) rear diff? A rear diff cooler? 150 pounds of balast? Or is the M Tech rear bumper cover made from depleted uranium? :dunno:

Inquiring minds want to know....

Somehow, I am willing to bet Stream knows the answer!

Mac Daddy
05-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Okay, now why in the world would the 550 have more weight in the rear? I don't "think" there are any components (battery, etc.) moved to the back of the car vs. the 528 or 535. Does the 550 have a different (heavier / more robust) rear diff? A rear diff cooler? 150 pounds of balast? Or is the M Tech rear bumper cover made from depleted uranium? :dunno:

Inquiring minds want to know....

Somehow, I am willing to bet Stream knows the answer!

+1!

That is exactly what I was thinking. The rear wheels/tires on the sport version in particular should weigh a few pounds more, but otherwise? :dunno:

I wonder if those numbers are indeed accurate down to the 2nd decimel point, if you know what I mean.

quackbury
05-19-2007, 07:33 AM
Or how about this:

550: full tank of gas and 300 pound driver with the seat pushed all the way back;
535: empty tank of gas and 95 pound driver with the seat pushed all the way front?

Or maybe the 550 was tested with the optional Tony Soprano 1-More-Riding-in-the-Trunk kit?

Have we hijacked this thread yet?:angel:

Tanin
05-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Have we hijacked this thread yet?:angel:

Not yet.............

Emission
05-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Very simple:

The 550i weighs 263 pounds more than the 335i. This is:

131 more over the rear.

132 more over the front.

= 263 pounds

It is equally distributed (no big deal).

quackbury
05-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Is it really that simple? I'd'a thunk the weight difference would've come from the 2 extra cylinders, bigger radiator, more coolant, etc., all of which would be over the front axle. What magic did they work to spread that extra mass so evenly?

doug_999
05-19-2007, 02:48 PM
Is it really that simple? I'd'a thunk the weight difference would've come from the 2 extra cylinders, bigger radiator, more coolant, etc., all of which would be over the front axle. What magic did they work to spread that extra mass so evenly?

The really strange part is what I originally posted - BMW says the weight distribution for the 535 manual is .2% less than the 550 manual (up front). BUT for the 535 auto, it is .1% worse than the 550 auto. Very very strange. Either way the 535 twin turbo setup weighs more than the 530 setup. I'm not sure if all the cars have the same trans, but I'd wager that the 535 and 550 trans are now for sure the same.

iversonm
05-19-2007, 03:02 PM
The really strange part is what I originally posted - BMW says the weight distribution for the 535 manual is .2% less than the 550 manual (up front). BUT for the 535 auto, it is .1% worse than the 550 auto. Very very strange. Either way the 535 twin turbo setup weighs more than the 530 setup. I'm not sure if all the cars have the same trans, but I'd wager that the 535 and 550 trans are now for sure the same.

The issue is where in the car is the additional weight. The 535 has all sorts of charge cooling plumbing that is located in front of the tires.

The V8 is shorter, and thus sits farther back in the engine compartment. Weight between front and rear wheels is better spread between them.

doug_999
05-19-2007, 03:16 PM
The issue is where in the car is the additional weight. The 535 has all sorts of charge cooling plumbing that is located in front of the tires.

The V8 is shorter, and thus sits farther back in the engine compartment. Weight between front and rear wheels is better spread between them.

But I don't see how that accounts for the variance with the auto vs. manual percentage changes.

Of note, looks like the transmissions between the 530 and 550 were different...
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=42190

Emission
05-19-2007, 03:47 PM
As far as I can tell, the 550i 6-speed and 335i 6-speed are identical. I would image the automatics would be the same too.

juventus
05-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Man! you guys really know alot about the intricacies of car design.

And I mean this in a good way.

I just hope that my new baby (535i SP-on order) lives up to all the hype and is a whole lot better than my 2006 525i Non-sport.

hormazd
05-19-2007, 04:31 PM
I disagree. My '07 550i SP came with run-flat tires and I hated it. After 6k miles, I switched to regular tires (Michelin PS2) and the difference is day and night, much better ride/grip.
If you decide to get the 535i, switch to regular tires after the OEM tires are worn. You'll thank me later :)
By the way, sorry to pick on your saleman. I couldn't help it, they are easy targets :D

I hate the third set of BMW provided runflats on my 04 545i. I was absolutely amazed at how compliant a 535i was with the same 18" wheels that I have and Dunlop Runflats. The pavement was bad around a few blocks in Santa Monica. I drove the same few blocks afterwards with my car which felt like wooden wheels.

They have definately done something to the set up. My guess is that 07 suspension was tweaked and 08 Dunlop have less stiff side walls finally arriving at this result.

In a few weeks I will be on 19" non runflats.

P.S. Tire pressure does make a big difference.

Bigdog
05-19-2007, 07:46 PM
A 19" tire is not going to be forgiving on the new 5 series. I have been running the 18" run flats on my 545 for nearly three years. I don't thing that the 19" tires will be more comfortable. I do think they will grip better. After riding in my buddies brand new 335i I have to say my 545i is not sporty and won't keep up. I hope my new 08 550 changes that.

Emission
05-19-2007, 09:00 PM
"Just got my 550i tonite... Steptronic Auto.(Would have preferred Manual--but very hard to find)..."

You spent $70,000 on a new car and didn't get the one you wanted? :yikes:

You MUST hold out for a manual, or order one! If people keep "settling" for automatics, BMW is going to stop making manuals! :mad:

doug_999
05-19-2007, 10:21 PM
A 19" tire is not going to be forgiving on the new 5 series. I have been running the 18" run flats on my 545 for nearly three years. I don't thing that the 19" tires will be more comfortable. I do think they will grip better. After riding in my buddies brand new 335i I have to say my 545i is not sporty and won't keep up. I hope my new 08 550 changes that.

It won't. The laws of physics are always at work and the 335 will still be the better handling car because of its size. In a perfect world we would all have a 3-series, a 5-series, and a 7-series (I'll take a M6 while we are at it...)..

Emission
05-19-2007, 10:25 PM
It won't. The laws of physics are always at work and the 335 will still be the better handling car because of its size. In a perfect world we would all have a 3-series, a 5-series, and a 7-series (I'll take a M6 while we are at it...)..

I agree.

I also agree that we should all live in a perfect world. :D

BravoMikeWiskey
06-12-2007, 11:40 PM
It really comes down to the aero kit and colors if you ask me. The performance is very similar (per BMW .2 seconds slower for the 535). I really like Carbon Black and that's only avail on the 550 sport, then again I still love Monaco Blue and you can only get that (with sport) on the 535. Not being a fan of the front end on the aero kit, I'd probably have to save the $8K......

8K buys a lot of track time at BMW M School. Just a thought. :confused:

doug_999
06-13-2007, 09:08 PM

Not sure where you are going with this - can you explain how this relates to my comment?

BravoMikeWiskey
06-14-2007, 11:16 PM

Based on what you had said about saving the 8k, I suggested that is money well saved, considering you can spend the saved dollars on improving driving technique in BMW's M School.

In my opinion, 535i with a skilled driver behind the wheel is a higher performer than a 550i with a driver with little or no performance driving skill behind the wheel.

In fact, substitute 528i for 535i and M5 for 550i in the previous sentence and my opinion still holds.

ProRail
06-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Why the heck is this thread still alive?

Emission
06-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Based on what you had said about saving the 8k, I suggested that is money well saved, considering you can spend the saved dollars on improving driving technique in BMW's M School.

In my opinion, 535i with a skilled driver behind the wheel is a higher performer than a 550i with a driver with little or no performance driving skill behind the wheel.

In fact, substitute 528i for 535i and M5 for 550i in the previous sentence and my opinion still holds.

It even holds with a 525i vs. 550i! :thumbup:

My very first track event, back in 1998, the instructor's brought out a rented Ford Mustang. It had the V6, slushbox, and all-season tires (0-60 in about 9 seconds). They were passing newbies in brand-new E36 M3's right and left!
:D

BravoMikeWiskey
06-14-2007, 11:39 PM
It even holds with a 525i vs. 550i! :thumbup:

My very first track event, back in 1998, the instructor's brought out a rented Ford Mustang. It had the V6, slushbox, and all-season tires (0-60 in about 9 seconds). They were passing newbies in brand-new E36 M3's right and left!
:D

I will never forget my first day at Skip Barber Driving School, many moons ago. The students were 'driving' brand new 95 M3s vs instructors in Dodge Neons. Guess who looked like drunk cows on ice? :rolleyes:

slickrick2
06-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Congrats.........

slickrick2
06-16-2007, 08:12 PM
My bad, this congrats was meant for (SoCalM5Mang) on the delivery of his new 550i. Enjoy it and be careful..

slickrick2
06-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey guys how is everyone?

My name is Rick and I'm new to this forum. I've read every single post on this thread and learned alot of things. Apart from the discussions and arguments of which car is better we all have to give thanks that we are in one of these vehicles regardless if it's a 535 or a 550. For some of us it's all about dollars and cents. I for one bought my 535xi, not leased, and even with $16,000 down I'm still in the $700's a month range. I could have gone for the 535I with sports pack or the 535XI no sports pack. I chose the XI being a former 2002 525I owner and enduring 4 winters here in NY with the rear wheel drive. (I only own one car). The point I'm trying to make is if you have the money buy the car you want and enjoy it. The truth is that BMW made great improvements in both cars, hence, these discussions and comparisons. I still wish I had comfort seats but the Dakota leather will do. At least I have the engine....

Enjoy

iversonm
06-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Hey guys how is everyone?

My name is Rick and I'm new to this forum. I've read every single post on this thread and learned alot of things. Apart from the discussions and arguments of which car is better we all have to give thanks that we are in one of these vehicles regardless if it's a 535 or a 550. For some of us it's all about dollars and cents. I for one bought my 535xi, not leased, and even with $16,000 down I'm still in the $700's a month range. I could have gone for the 535I with sports pack or the 535XI no sports pack. I chose the XI being a former 2002 525I owner and enduring 4 winters here in NY with the rear wheel drive. (I only own one car). The point I'm trying to make is if you have the money buy the car you want and enjoy it. The truth is that BMW made great improvements in both cars, hence, these discussions and comparisons. I still wish I had comfort seats but the Dakota leather will do. At least I have the engine....

Enjoy

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. I drove a 535xi similar to yours for the first time today during a visit to the dealer. (I'm trying to sort out interior an exterior colors for my ED)

It's quite an engine...

slickrick2
06-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Welcome and congrats on your purchase. I drove a 535xi similar to yours for the first time today during a visit to the dealer. (I'm trying to sort out interior an exterior colors for my ED)

It's quite an engine...

It's an awesome ride but I feel it's a little soft with the 17" wheels and all season tires. I'm going to purchase 18' wheels soon. If you purchase yours with the sports pack make sure you buy the 18" wheels it's an $600 option and not included in the sports pack. After market your looking at $1,300 for the wheels and about $1,200 for the tires.

My car is Space Grey with Black Dekota Leather Interior. Another thing make sure you order Premium Sound Pro logic 7, it sounds awesome.:thumbup:

Good luck Rick....:D

slickrick2
06-16-2007, 09:48 PM
I meant on the 535XI, the 18" wheels are a $600 option if you order the sports pack.

ProRail
06-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Hey Guys and Gals! This is my first post to this listserve.

I wanted to say Hi to everybody! This is clearly one of the more authoritative sites on the net for BMW. It's very well run I appreciate the discussion.

I work in the Automotive Interactive Marketing Universe. One of the biggest 3rd party sites. My knowledge of the car business from OEM-Dealership(Front End-Back End-Financing etc)is strong. I'm currently driving the first 2006 M45 Sport available in CA in 05. It's a nice car but it's not a BMW. ;-)

Anyways....I was flat blown away today after driving the 08 550i Fully Loaded(Auto). I drove the 535i(also loaded)and before that I drove the Audi RS4-S4 and S4 Cab(Manual tranny's all).(all today)

Let me be the first to say it. What BMW has done with this automatic tranny is amazing. I was reluctant to even drive it when specifically requesting a 5 speed. My guide told me I didn't need it. I was like..."uhh...well I want it".....He proceeded to tell me about the wonders of the new computer shifting in sport mode etc...I obviously allowed him to convince me and OMG......ladies and gentleman. For the first time maybe ever(and this includes Porsche-Audi-and higher line all which I have driven in tiptronic-sport mode S mode whatever.)BMW has actually created an automatic which mimics a true manual..closer than anything else I have ever driven.

I absolutely couldn't believe it. Just flat out amazing torque(all thru power band) and no hesitation or torque converter lockup like on my Infiniti M45 Sport. I drove this sucker at all speeds and environments in about 45 mins of testing. Car was brand new--not broken in and I will guarantee this car pulls a 4.9 0-60 upon break in. And yes I've driven the 07 550i---this car even with the same engine is noticeably faster....much faster.....it's gotta be the computer improving the throttle response--Maybe the new "two stage intake manifold"? No HP improvement of course but it majorly passes the "look-feel and smell test"....The BMW folks also agree....God Bless Teutonic engineering.

to the comparison----the 535i is a really nice car....it's fast but nowhere near what the 550i feels like....there is very modest turbo lag when downshifting at certain speeds.---the suspension on the 535i is not on par with the 550i. Not even close. You can feel this. Cornering---ride stiffness and road grip is dramatically improved with this new M-suspension Sprt Pckg. I would honestly get a 335i if I was considering the 535i as the suspension is better and the car is a bit lighter. The rev matching in the BMW is awesome on this new engine. My M45 Sport was the first car to offer this and BMW has far surpassed Infiniti now. I was blown away how easy it was to downshift at 4500rpms from 4th to 3rd without any hesitation or car jerk.

Both BMW cars inside are still cheaply adorned compared to their audi counterparts. Definitely like the BMW new car smell more. ;-) I will say I didn't have the Dakota Leather to compare in the BMW....but the Recaro seats in the Audi are much nicer. Audi Navigation is better than I-Drive. The New highly sensitive radio control on the i-Drive is wack....If you spin it a couple of times it spins your dial 3-4 times thru without stopping. Strange. I love the iPod interface on the BMWs. This is slick. I was told you will see iPod Display on the Nav screen with the correct input connection? Anyone verify?

the Sport Package on the 550i is a real head turner. Absolutely. Most people think it's an M5--at least two people did at a couple of lights I was stopped at. ;-) Rims are beautiful. I drove the Space Gray with Black leather interior. I also drove the 535i in Silver. Both desirable colors and BMW has a distinct advantage in the paint dept over Audi.

I guess what I'm saying is that BMW has dramatically stepped up their game with the new 08 550i. I wonder how it would drive without sport pckg(in comparison)? If you are considering a 5 Series and want the best the Teutons can offer---the 550i with Sprt Pckg is your choice. For power-performance-handling-aesthetics---the 535i can't touch it. It just can't.

Now if you put the same sport package on the 535i---for 10k lower I think you could make do(with less power of course).

And lastly....unchipped....no way in hell the 335i beats the 550i from stand still 0-60mph...not the 08 550i....You want more from BMW stock?...you gotta go M-series baby.

feel free to ask questions if I left anything else out.

SoCal

Very strange post.

adwebinc
06-16-2007, 11:30 PM
You spent $70,000 on a new car and didn't get the one you wanted? :yikes:

You MUST hold out for a manual, or order one! If people keep "settling" for automatics, BMW is going to stop making manuals! :mad:

You said it! I was just at my local dealer and the only non-M manual on the lot is a 328. I am waiting for a couple of months to order my 550i w/SP (hoping the lease rates come down). I am actually considering leasing the 328 as a short-term solution because of the manual vs. the 335 with the auto.

Any way, back to my dreams of the 550i and damn the "Step"!