PDA

View Full Version : Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go?

emPoWaH
05-13-2007, 09:16 PM
I believe the 2008 5-series is the first BMW to offer Stop & Go, which is apparently similar to the system on the S-class, which brings the car to an entire stop if traffic stops.

Has anybody tested the system yet? How effective is it for the daily stop-and-go Los Angeles freeway commute? Does it leave huge gaps? Is it fairly smooth? I love driving on a nice twisty road but hate crawling about at 3 MPH. My ankles always get sore...

AzNMpower32
05-13-2007, 09:27 PM
You're too lazy. ACC is not meant to take the place of the driver. We all hate stop-and-go traffic, but its part of living in a city. :nono:

ACC is best on long freeway trips, and at the very most, can be used in moderately congested but free flowing traffic. Either case, you must still be concentrating on the road and be prepared to take control of the vehicle.

Starab
05-14-2007, 05:17 AM
I believe the 2008 5-series is the first BMW to offer Stop & Go, which is apparently similar to the system on the S-class, which brings the car to an entire stop if traffic stops.

Has anybody tested the system yet? How effective is it for the daily stop-and-go Los Angeles freeway commute? Does it leave huge gaps? Is it fairly smooth? I love driving on a nice twisty road but hate crawling about at 3 MPH. My ankles always get sore...

I have on my 528xi. I love it.
In the begining little annoying when another car cuts in and my car slows down. The other drawback is it has factory preset distances between two cars and it is not manual. Got used to it I try to stay in mid/R-Lane and enjoy ride. Yesterday a car passed(idiot) and it was too close and my car slowed down with warning alarm and red car picture ahead.

merklebob
05-14-2007, 03:01 PM
i have the std active cruise on my 650 and love it in stop and go traffic. it would be even better if it had the stop n go. no its not just for the open road.

emPoWaH
05-14-2007, 08:46 PM
I have on my 528xi. I love it.
In the begining little annoying when another car cuts in and my car slows down. The other drawback is it has factory preset distances between two cars and it is not manual. Got used to it I try to stay in mid/R-Lane and enjoy ride. Yesterday a car passed(idiot) and it was too close and my car slowed down with warning alarm and red car picture ahead.

Sounds good. It's amazing how technology is trickling down so quickly. Even the VW Touareg is getting Stop & Go.

merklebob
05-15-2007, 10:06 AM
ya its been the best thing for me. i drive 200 on a bi-weekly basis and with nerve damage in my right leg its been bad. with the active cruise i normally only have to stop the cruise 1-2 time in the whole drive. i only wish it was the stop aand go. the old ACC workes down to 15 mph.

revlis240
05-16-2007, 02:49 PM
i hate that you cant get anything, ACC or S/G on a 6mt!!!!!

:(

M550
05-16-2007, 06:14 PM
i hate that you cant get anything, ACC or S/G on a 6mt!!!!!

:(

Actually I like it. I drove one with ACC in Germany. Glad I didn't get ACC because I think it is dangerous, too easy to lose concentration on the road.

revlis240
05-16-2007, 06:17 PM
but i want to eat and read the paper while driving..

jk

:D

Starab
05-16-2007, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=revlis240;2382446]but i want to eat and read the paper while driving

I like to shower in the car ?

Starab
05-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Actually I like it. I drove one with ACC in Germany. Glad I didn't get ACC because I think it is dangerous, too easy to lose concentration on the road.

U can loose concentration and anything can be dangerous if u do not pay attention.
Actually ACC can be safe
1) especially when changing lanes and U have to look at shoulder/blindspot.
2) When someone cuts U and comes in front of you car(not only ACC slows your car but also beeps with flash on display).
3) In regular cruise after using brakes, U have to use cruise switch and reset cruise to maintain your cruising speed , But with ACC, the car automatically slows down and goes back by itself to set cruise speed without using brakes-less use of brakes(more mpg?)
4) I LOVE IT and glad to have it. GO for it ,It is worth for money.

The only drawback I found is the distances between the two cars are factory set and we cannnot reset to our wish manually.

ks-man
05-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm sure everybody else is thinking it, but wouldn't ACC be perfect for getting road head...

emPoWaH
05-16-2007, 09:52 PM
U can loose concentration and anything can be dangerous if u do not pay attention.
Actually ACC can be safe
1) especially when changing lanes and U have to look at shoulder/blindspot.
2) When someone cuts U and comes in front of you car(not only ACC slows your car but also beeps with flash on display).
3) In regular cruise after using brakes, U have to use cruise switch and reset cruise to maintain your cruising speed , But with ACC, the car automatically slows down and goes back by itself to set cruise speed without using brakes-less use of brakes(more mpg?)
4) I LOVE IT and glad to have it. GO for it ,It is worth for money.

The only drawback I found is the distances between the two cars are factory set and we cannnot reset to our wish manually.

I have another question for you... what does the sensor look like from the outside? Is there a dedicated box in the lower grille like with the 3-series? Apparently, this makes it a "laser" based system, as opposed to radar (which Mercedes uses).

stevepow
05-16-2007, 11:38 PM
I have a pic somewhere in my garage...

http://directory.bimmerfest.com/photo.php?action=viewphoto&PhId=3ef98616f806e8ee057986c32a450410 - I assume the S&G looks similar or the same (and NV camera on passenger side).

///M Rakete
05-17-2007, 08:34 AM
I have another question for you... what does the sensor look like from the outside? Is there a dedicated box in the lower grille like with the 3-series? Apparently, this makes it a "laser" based system, as opposed to radar (which Mercedes uses).

It's radar...

abe
05-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I have active cruise on my Sienna minivan and I'm planning on getting it on whatever BMW I end up with. It's fantastic, but it's not good if you are the fastest driver on the road. People cutting in will cause the car to slam on brakes now and again. ACC is awesome if you don't mind sitting in the slow/medium lane. You'll go for forever without having to exercise that right leg.

Has anyone else used this in stop and go traffic? I'm most interested in hearing how that works out. When the car comes to a full stop, what's the distance between you and the car in front of you?

Starab
05-28-2007, 05:30 AM
I have active cruise on my Sienna minivan and I'm planning on getting it on whatever BMW I end up with. It's fantastic, but it's not good if you are the fastest driver on the road. People cutting in will cause the car to slam on brakes now and again. ACC is awesome if you don't mind sitting in the slow/medium lane. You'll go for forever without having to exercise that right leg.

Has anyone else used this in stop and go traffic? I'm most interested in hearing how that works out. When the car comes to a full stop, what's the distance between you and the car in front of you?

I used recently, works very nice.It stopped and started moving by itself on city road around 30mph when I was follwing a moving car in front of me in sam lane, I did not measure the distance but it stops close. I love it.
CAUTION: The handbook also says that it will not work if car is already stopped at the traffic stop or the car you are following changes the lane sudden and there is already a stopped car ahead. It works with the moving car ahead and does not work behind a stopped car.

abe
05-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Good to know, Starab. Thanks!