PDA

View Full Version : Head-Up Display

teep
05-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Anyone here have, or tried out, the head-up display? Is it worth it, or just a geegaw?

Anyone know if the HUD can be switched between mph and kph? I cross the US/Canada border a lot and my present ride (Merc) can do that, although lack of it wont stop me going for a 535 on replacement.

noonehome
05-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Yes, HUD changes.

vern
05-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Anyone here have, or tried out, the head-up display? Is it worth it, or just a geegaw?

Anyone know if the HUD can be switched between mph and kph? I cross the US/Canada border a lot and my present ride (Merc) can do that, although lack of it wont stop me going for a 535 on replacement.
I have HUD and IMO one of the greatest options BMW offers. I believe you can go back and forth thru the I drive to change from MPH to KPH. When I have a loaner without HUD I find myself going over the speed limit much more than if I had the HUD. Good luck in what ever you choose.
cheers
vern

teep
05-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Also - any photos of the HUD display in operation? (Can you photograph it? ). In the German BMW website you can pull up a detailed HUD brochure, but in some of the photos there appears to be an extra binnacle bulging up from the dash - you cant really see it very clearly.

Thanks to anyone who can help here!

teep
05-14-2007, 05:05 PM
Wow! Fast, helpful replies! Thanks everyone. I am a newbie here and this is a great forum!

gjwilson
05-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Is a "geegaw" a bad thing?

I got the HUD as part of the technology package in an X5. I think it's probably best when used with the Nav system guidance. I usually turn the Nav voice off and unless you keep looking at the display (not a good way to drive in the city) you can miss a turn. With the HUD, the guidance is right in front of your face.

If you are in cruise control, it shows that with an icon and what your speed actually is, which is nice but hardly critical. And it will display "Door open" type icons on the windsheild so you don't have to lock down to see what the bells are about. Other than that you just get the KPH shown on the screen, but it's nice to see a more exact number than you get from a quick glance at the gauge.

Yeah, it's a bit of a toy but other than engine, manual transmission and tires, what isn't?

As to the switching between KPH and MPH, I'm 99% sure it does that. In fact IIRC mine was delivered in MPH and I had to switch it to KPH. Cars not here right now, I'm getting a hitch installed. I'll double check when it is back.

Bikie
05-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I just returned from 5/2/07 ED. Nav and the HUD were indispensable and real marriage and stress savers. The nav got us to any location we wanted with no hassles and quickly recalculated routes when we, not the Nav made an error. The HUD keeps your eyes on the road, displays speed, upcoming turns and a vertical graph and numbers indicating distance to the next turn. This in combination with the voice prompts makes navigation a breeze.
It got us to the smallest roads in the tiniest villages. Also finds parking lots, restaurants and tourist attractions. You have many choices as to type of route ie. fastest,shortest,dynamic, avoid toll roads,ferries etc. Super combo. I would never go to Europe or any other area strange to me without it again.

Vitacura
05-14-2007, 06:24 PM
I love the HUD! I miss it soo much in my 335i. I used it all the time, NAV instructions are awesome on there!

waiting
05-15-2007, 04:32 AM
I agree with most everyone. The HUD is terrific with the navigation system. But without the navigation, it certainly is just a geegaw. Without navigation it really only displays MPH (or KPH). It will add a warning now and then, but REALLY does shine best with the navigation info.

I'll be sadly disappointed if its not offered with my next setup.

:thumbup:

okiemark
05-15-2007, 05:10 AM
NO.....never again.....I will not buy another car without a heads up display! :bigpimp:

Everyone who drives my car comes away wishing they had one too..:p

beauport
05-15-2007, 06:47 AM
The M5's & M6's at the Performance Center in Spartanburg all have HUD and while at the M School I got a first hand experience with using it. Let me say in fast, spirited driving there was little or no chance I was going to look down at the speedo or tach - with the HUD there was no need to since the information was straight in front of your eyes as you view through the windshield. I'd sure get it if I were getting a car that offered it.

NASA43
05-15-2007, 09:19 AM
I love the HUD also. As noted by others, especially when using Navigation. I just wish they would add rpms to it.

aficionado
05-15-2007, 09:50 AM
I had HUD on my Vette. When in another car, I realized how much I looked at it.

I didn't get it on my 535i.

If you got the cash, go for it. If your looking to reduce the cost, leave it behind.

M550
05-15-2007, 10:24 AM
I like it too. But one drawback, I can't see it with sunglass on. :tsk:

Reefminis
05-15-2007, 10:37 AM
HUD is AWESOME!...................but, you cannot use it with POLARIZED sunglasses. I regularly wear Maui Jim sunglasses, and I can barely see the HUD on the brightest setting. I ended up getting a non-polarized pair of glasses to keep in the car, and problem solved. It was a very small price to pay to be able to use the HUD.

aficionado
05-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Maui Jim's rock. :thumbup:

mullman
05-15-2007, 12:45 PM
LOVE the HUD!
That & Sport Package are "must haves", IMHO.

cobradav
05-15-2007, 02:28 PM
I got the HUD due to my trifocals and having a hard time trying to see normal dash info. Since the HUD is in far field it is far easier for me to use and I use it 100% day and night. I can't even look at a 335 since they do not have HUD.