PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing extended maintenance and extended warranty

rajiv_rawal
05-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I have been following this awesome forum for a while and just joined it yesterday!:)

I have a 2008 535i on order for June. I have a few questions on extended maintenance and extended warranty

1. does it make sense to purchase extended maintenance at time of purchase or why not wait before 4years/50,000 miles

2. I know that you can only purchase BMW extended warranty at time of purchase. What is the difference in the warranty if purchasing from a vendor like http://www.twinkidneygrill.com. Is bmw warranty (direct from BMW) any better in any regard?

3. Would you purchase road hazard for the tires. I will have Run flats. How much did people pay for this?

I am just thinking of waiting till years/50,000 mikes before purchasing extended warranty and maintenance plan. I am just looking for any issues with this approach

Thanks much

bmwfanwashdc
05-15-2007, 12:17 PM
twinkidneygrill is actually a bmw dealter in south atlanta, ga. i have spoke to rodney the finance manager and also emailed two times over the past 3 weeks and never got a response back yet in reguards to my extension of warranty and maintenance. def not the customer service i would expect from bimmerfest sponsors.

aficionado
05-15-2007, 12:38 PM
It depends on how much you drive.

I just sold my old car, 6.5 years old and 50,000 miles. Extending the maintenance wouldn't make sense for me.

The Maint. is going up in price. If you want it, buy it now.

You can buy the extension of warranty up until the warranty runs out. It might be more expensive later.

Russ Williams
05-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Use the twinkidneygrill.com pricing to get the same deal from your local dealership. If you know you are going to keep the car well beyond 4yrs/50K miles then I would go ahead and purchase the extended warranty & maintenance now as the prices will continue to increase. Matter-of-fact I think the extended maintenance just had a price hike. The tires are expensive so I would purchase road hazard. I would also recommned switching to NRF as soon as it is feasible.

MRV99
05-15-2007, 01:28 PM
I feel that the extended maintenance's rocks It cost me 1195 and so far I have had (on my x5)
2 - oil changes $125 each
1 - Just break pads service $800
1 - Complete Break job $1400
Series 2(1 green bar left until)

More than paid for itself My car X5 has low miles so the year is just as important as the 100k miles

rajiv_rawal
05-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks for y'alls prompt response.

The warranty from twinkidneygrill.com can be purcahsed anytime before 4 year/50,000 miles.
My understanding is that the original bmw warranty can be purcahsed only at time of buying the car. So this warranty from twinkidneygrill.com has to be something different than the original bmw extended warranty.

I am wondering what is the difference between these warranties.

Thanks

cobradav
05-15-2007, 03:17 PM
My dealer told me at delivery the warranty extension could be purchased at ANY time prior to the 4/50,000 occuring. I just got off the phone with CA and he repeated that same claim. Twinkidneygrill is cheaper so I'll go that route with confidence that it is all on the up and up.

Thanks for y'alls prompt response.

The warranty from twinkidneygrill.com can be purcahsed anytime before 4 year/50,000 miles.
My understanding is that the original bmw warranty can be purcahsed only at time of buying the car. So this warranty from twinkidneygrill.com has to be something different than the original bmw extended warranty.

I am wondering what is the difference between these warranties.

Thanks

rajiv_rawal
05-15-2007, 04:37 PM
What he probably did not mention is that you could get a different warranty (3rd party) - not the original BMW warranty.
I actually don't know if one is better than the other or are they at par with each other.

MN2828
05-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Before you buy an extended warranty from a dealer, you might want to check out the third party providers. The markup on an extended warranty can be huge. I've seen examples of dealers charging 2x their cost for extended warranties.

cheapa55
05-16-2007, 09:23 AM
sorry to hi jack the thread but how much is extended maintenance? and where can I buy it?

quackbury
05-16-2007, 09:23 PM
One argument AGAINST buying either the warranty or the maintenance plan now: If you do not keep your car past 4 years / 48,000 miles FOR ANY REASON, you have just pee'ed away a big piece of coin.

For example, if your car is totalled or stolen, your insurance company is not going to pay you 1 penny more for your warranty / maintenance plan.

If you decide to wheel out of the car early (e.g. you fall in love with the 2010 X6 and really need one!), you "might" get a few more bucks selling or trading your E60 if you have the warranty / maintenance, but I bet you don't get back anything near what you paid for it.

Maddog-99
05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
If you have a BMW & are planning on having it longer than your initial coverage: GET EXTENDED.

None of us buy BMW's because of their great track record on quality!
We know they foster a whole 'halo' industry of fix it shops (both their own & aftermarkets) who count on (or should I say prey???) on our inevitable visits.

That said, until someone can make a car w/ the same performance, Ill deal with this.
BUT get warranty coverage to cover me for every mile I have it.
Consult Consumer Reports car guide & look at the 5-10 year trend on BMW & Merc quality. Its getting better, but isnt top of list for our German friends.

I just dropped $2K to get a 100K mi extension on my '04 545i w/ 28K miles. I know Im buying 8 cylinder which will have more problems, & I plan to keep the car for close to 125K mi.

brucec32
05-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Lots of contradictions and innacuracies flying about. So here are my questions. Please refrain from tossing in your two cents unless you are pretty darn sure you are presenting facts . Sorry, but I've spent 45 min reading posts on two forums, none of which seem to agree on anything.

1. Is the 2OP warranty transferrable? What if your vehicle is stolen or totaled, can you get a pro rata refund?

2. What are people paying for this extra 2 yrs/50K coverage on a 3 series sedan?

3. Is there somewhere online one can read the provisions of the coverage?

Thank you.

Russ Williams
05-29-2007, 03:12 PM
www.twinkidneygrill.com

Maddog-99
05-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Bruce:
You are going to want to put questions on 3 series cars in the 3 series section of the forums.
FYI: I paid $2K for a 7/100K extension on my '04 545i w/ 26K mi. It is incremental coverage.

brucec32
06-05-2007, 03:23 PM
sorry, I did a search and forgot I wasn't on e90post anymore!

My08535i
06-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Hey, you can purchase BMW extended warranty or maintenance anytime between purchase date and before your hit 4yr/50K and as long as you are the original owner.

gweiden
06-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey, you can purchase BMW extended warranty or maintenance anytime between purchase date and before your hit 4yr/50K and as long as you are the original owner.

1+ That's correct. :thumbup:

quackbury
06-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Beware what you are told at time of purchase. The Finance Manager wants to sell you the extended warranty and maintenance NOW so he gets credit for the sale. If you buy the same coverage 40,000 miles from now, it's the service advisor's sale.

I realize that in most dealerships the Finance Manager is the most ethical employee (cough, cough!) but there are exceptions. Caveat emptor, as they say.

Yes, the cost may go up if you don't buy "today". But then again, you'll have the $$$ in the bank (or the market), and the luxury of deciding whether you will really keep the car past 4 years / 50,000 miles.

Tony100
07-08-2007, 04:22 PM
I took over the lease on a friend's 2004 530 and just purchased it off lease. It's going in to the Manhattan BMW dealer for its last included maintenance in three weeks. It only has about 17k on it and I drive it about twice a month. I hate the idea of having some huge repair or maintenance bill next year but I also hate the idea of paying for two more years of extended warranty about about $1k per year and needing nothing but oil changes. What does anyone think the odds are of my local dealer being honest about whether an extended warranty for this specific car is a good deal? Anybody have expensive repairs in the fifth or sixth year of the 535? Also, would something I buy from a dealer in another state be honored at the NYC dealership?

cvb
07-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I think you are confusing the standard maintenance plan (oil changes, brake pads, etc.) with the new vehicle warranty 4 year/50 k miles.

After they expire, you can buy an extended warranty (do a search on this forum and you'll see some good ways to get a cheap price on a BMW extended warrannty (2 years or 100k total total) and/or you can buy an extended maintenance contract (again, oil changes, etc.)...but if you buy exended maintenance and your tranny blows, you are not covered.

With only 17k on the car, I personally wouldn't buy an extended warranty that will expire in 2 years...chances are with as little as you drive it, you'll be fine.

Ågent99
07-08-2007, 06:10 PM
All I can say is beware of 3rd party extended warranties. I got burned on one as the company went bankrupt. I might be lucky to see ANY money back from some claims in about 2-3 years....

yautung
07-12-2007, 07:24 PM
anyone knows if the extended maintenance is refundable. My car was totaled after 25 days BMW NA says its 100% refundable but the dealer, after telling me it was up to BMW NA, refuses to refund the amount. I dont have a copy of the maintenance I purchased but its in my bill of sale and BMW NA says its in their system.

m_cali525
07-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Since you can only purhcase extended warranty/maintenance if you are the original owner. What should we do if we are the second owner and want this option?

Russ Williams
07-22-2007, 07:56 PM
www.twinkidneygrill.com

I used this site to get the same price from my local dealer. Unfortunately for you BMW recently raised the extended maintenance $450. However, still a very wise purchase as everything on the 5 series is computer driven and we all know how reliable computers are.

Mann242
10-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Where did you buy your warranty for that price? Thanks