PDA

View Full Version : High Battery Drain

judahzlion
05-15-2007, 04:42 PM
:mad:

My 5301 is now about 18k miles. Once parked over 5 hours, I receive "High Battery" drain message since it was 5k miles.
I have been back and forth at BMW of Dallas dealer asking to fix the same problem.
Initially can not duplicate the problem. Next after almost 1 month of troubleshooting and replacing the main computer module. Just the next day I have the same problem. I returned the car again for further testing to the same service station. They tell me their best technician is on it. Then comfort access module has been replaced I was told and every thing checks out fine. Next day the problem is still the same.
Last Friday May 11-07 I am told "the problem may be related to a device malfunction located at the REAR LEFT DOOR HANDLER. The dealer can not locate the part needed in US and has ordered it from Germany. Depending on shipping method used and custom clearing 2-3 weeks delay is expected"

Is there any one with any ideas!. I and the dealer needs any help you can suggest. I have copied the dealer any suggestion I can get from other forum.
It is really upsetting! :cry: :cry:

bimmer dot info
05-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Have they tried checking to see if there is a high drain?
Hook up an ammeter and start unplugging things till the amperage drops to a normal level. Then check what is on that circuit and replace the bad part/s.

I love how shops find an OBDII connector and will not do any other tests to figure out what is going on with a car.

Sherry Junker
09-11-2007, 08:45 PM
I have the same problem with my 2008 528i. I have less than 2000 miles on mine and it did the "high battery drain" from day one. It has been the shop 3 times already. I have taken it to a new dealer. They say it is the tcu (telecom center unit) but they are verifying. I hope this does not go on forever!

hunterz4
10-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Interesting to read these posts. After 3 months I left work last week to find a deader than a door nail battery. I did not see any "high battery drain message" so was wondering where it is located. When I called the dealer he told me that BMWs need to be driven. He's right in the sense that we will go three or four days without driving the car but the night before this happened we drove it about 1/2 hour the night before. Wondering what else I need to keep my eye on.

Russ Williams
10-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Are you leaving your cell phone charger plugged in when the car is turned off?

sjaroslo
10-17-2007, 06:03 PM
I believe that the cigarette lighters are deactivated when the car is turned off, so if the "cell phone recharger" you are referring to plugs into a cigarette lighter/aux power connector, it is now drawing any current after the car is shut down.

Russ Williams
10-17-2007, 07:39 PM
I believe that the cigarette lighters are deactivated when the car is turned off, so if the "cell phone recharger" you are referring to plugs into a cigarette lighter/aux power connector, it is now drawing any current after the car is shut down.

See my thread (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=44813) on e60.net as the cell phone charger prevents the vehicle from going into sleep mode.

sjaroslo
10-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Russ, I stand corrected.