PDA

View Full Version : After the Break in Period

ks-man
05-15-2007, 04:00 PM
So I read a lot here and also heard from my dealer that the new BMWs have to go through a period of time to allow the engine to "break in." He told me not to go over 90MPH or 6000 RPM until after the first 1000 miles. My question is what type of performance difference should I notice as the engine breaks in? Also is this a gradual process or will one day I get in my car and notice a much different driving feel? Thanks in advance.

AzNMpower32
05-15-2007, 05:13 PM
You won't notice anything different. The car doesn't magically change from break-in to normal driving. In fact, if you want you can ignore the break-in requirements. That is, if you can not have the guilt (I would on a BMW).

Now, one thing that will change is the fuel consumption. Fuel consumption improves as time goes on, and you should notice a difference by 10k miles.

SergeyM
05-16-2007, 10:31 AM
So I read a lot here and also heard from my dealer that the new BMWs have to go through a period of time to allow the engine to "break in." He told me not to go over 90MPH or 6000 RPM until after the first 1000 miles. My question is what type of performance difference should I notice as the engine breaks in? Also is this a gradual process or will one day I get in my car and notice a much different driving feel? Thanks in advance.

Looks like most dealers cannot read. The manual clear states: 1,200 miles, 100mph and 4,500 RPM. Where all those different numbers coming from I wonder. Anyway, you are not going to feel anything different right after the break in period is finished, but the car should loosen up when it reaches 5K miles and then again around 10-12K miles. After that it will stay the same for 30-40K and will start losing performance when it gets to 50-60K miles.

Kamdog
05-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Why should it lose performance at only 50-60K? My 1976 celica GT didnt lose performance till it was about 80K, and my 1995 Accord EX didnt lose it till it was like 90K. Shoot, those engines didnt even feel fully let out till they were over 20K. I hope you are wrong with your miles here, since I expect a good run all the way through 100K.....