PDA

View Full Version : What changes to 5 Series after September?

Vitacura
05-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Looking at the 535i, I am wondering if there are going to be any significant changes or options that are going to be available after the factory re-tools in september. Just wondering if it is wise to wait to order one for October production or can it be ordered now with no major surprises or changes? I don't want to miss out on anything or regret not waiting a few months.
Thanks! :thumbup:

PS. I want a manual tranny. I did a search at E60 Forums and came up that the manual transmission won't be available until sept. True?

Kamdog
05-16-2007, 07:15 PM
Yep, the manual isnt ready yet.

My CA told me today that the sport auto is really the same tranny as the new electronic one, just that they put paddles up there by the steering wheel. Since he is a CA, I don't know if it is true or not because they are not the most technical guys. But to me it makes sense to just use the regular steptronic and modify it for the paddles.

///M Rakete
05-16-2007, 08:36 PM

My CA told me today that the sport auto is really the same tranny as the new electronic one, just that they put paddles up there by the steering wheel. Since he is a CA, I don't know if it is true or not because they are not the most technical guys. But to me it makes sense to just use the regular steptronic and modify it for the paddles.

I think it's more than that...

New optional Sport Automatic includes steering-wheel paddle shifters and rpm
matching during downshifts, plus a Sport button for quicker, more dynamic shifting
(beginning 06/07 production)

Sport Automatic transmission 535i and 550i Sedans only; requires the Sport
Package. An even sportier alternative to the standard STEPTRONIC Sport setting, this
6-speed transmission offers crisper gearshifts in manual mode, and paddle shifters on
the steering wheel. A leather boot around the console shifter also distinguishes this
transmission from the standard STEPTRONIC.

I also think it won't shift at redline.

SoCalM5Mang
05-16-2007, 11:59 PM

I was told the same thing. I gotta say----I wanted a 6spd manual and after driving the Steptronic....*****! I find it very difficult to believe the shifting will be any quicker in the Sport Auto. Maybe pusing the S-Button will give it some more juice but I think it's just a fancy gearhead gizmo to have shifters on the steering wheel. I've never really gotten into that groove.

We will see. I can't wait for the first magazine/website who tests these new 550i's.

SoCal

My08535i
05-17-2007, 12:35 AM
My 08 535 is on order for July '07 Production with Sport Auto Tranny, and all the toys, can wait.

bucksbud
05-17-2007, 07:32 AM
i had a similar question regarding the manual tranny...i really don't care about the performance but want the ability to shift myself....

so i went to the NY auto show and spoke with the rep there...he said that the manual should be ordered in july for the september production...other than that there are no other changes from the information that i found out...

i plan on doing the ED option as i want to contain the price and have a trip to europe...

best of luck

bernie