PDA

View Full Version : anyone looking forward to hv IPHONE...

sak
05-16-2007, 07:40 PM
any news about IPHONE being compatible with bmw bluetooth phone?
i cant wait to hv an iphone,
check out this
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/mwsf07/

M5-BEAR
05-17-2007, 12:23 AM
:dunno: Don't know if iPhone will be compatable with BMW system, but I'm going to buy the iPhone anyway ..
It appears to me to be awsome! :)

DBU
05-17-2007, 06:41 AM
As a general rule, a cell phone has to run the Windows OS to be compatible with BMW's implementation of bluetooth. Phones (Nokia) running the Symbian OS are not compatible so I would say that it is unlikely that Apples new phone will work.

acribb
05-17-2007, 01:46 PM
And what do you think the chances are that the iPhone will even work with the BMW iPod adaptor?

JerseyShore
05-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Switching from Verizon to get it. Can't wait.:thumbup:

And can't wait to get my 535xi next week. Supposed to be off the ship in NY today.

z0lt3c
05-18-2007, 07:53 PM
I hear the big issue w/ the iPhone is battery life. With the amount of power it takes to keep that huge screen running I hear you only get and hour or two of talk time. Thats not enough if you actually use your phone to talk on it.

Also, I use a Palm OS phone w/o a problem in my e60 so it's not true that only Microsoft will work.

obmd1
05-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Cingulair SUX up here, so I will wait until the phone is hacked, 2nd gen, and open to other providers. Knowing how ridiculously slow Verizon is to get new phones to market, I am sure Bluetooth will be old school by then....

EDIT: but I did buy more aapl today....:D

M5-BEAR
05-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Cingulair SUX up here, so I will wait until the phone is hacked, 2nd gen, and open to other providers. Knowing how ridiculously slow Verizon is to get new phones to market, I am sure Bluetooth will be old school by then....

I bought Apple at $60 ... :beerchug:
Wow what a ride that has been :)

Bear

M5-BEAR
05-19-2007, 01:02 AM

OOPS Double entry Please excuse .... Tried to erase ... Couldn't

Bear

Swift
05-19-2007, 07:54 AM
I'm going to wait for the 2nd gen Iphone so that they can work out the kinks and improve on the battery life. I've been with Treo since day one and am still content.

mullman
05-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Bear

Mine were at $13 (circa 1997)...before the split... ;)

Y, eagerly awaiting the iPhone as well.
My Blackberry Pearl (and previous Razr) works perfectly with my 5er via bluetooth and I do not think it is running Windows. See no reason why the iPhone should not work fine as well.

M5-BEAR
05-19-2007, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE=mullman;2389283]Mine were at $13 (circa 1997)...before the split... ;)

Ya done good with Apple:jawdrop:

Bear :D

travel4B
05-21-2007, 06:40 PM
I hear the big issue w/ the iPhone is battery life. With the amount of power it takes to keep that huge screen running I hear you only get and hour or two of talk time. Thats not enough if you actually use your phone to talk on it.

Also, I use a Palm OS phone w/o a problem in my e60 so it's not true that only Microsoft will work.

And where did you "hear" that from?? Considering that the iPhone has not yet been released, and that Apple states on their website that the phone battery will provide up to five hours of talk, video or browsing time (and up to sixteen hours of audio playback), I don't see how you can have any faith in "hearing" that it will only last an hour or two. Sorry, but your comment is sheer speculation without a factual basis.

z0lt3c
05-21-2007, 07:28 PM
And where did you "hear" that from?? Considering that the iPhone has not yet been released, and that Apple states on their website that the phone battery will provide up to five hours of talk, video or browsing time (and up to sixteen hours of audio playback), I don't see how you can have any faith in "hearing" that it will only last an hour or two. Sorry, but your comment is sheer speculation without a factual basis.

My comment is a common rumor based on unconfirmed fact. First off, debating whether a manufacturer's battery claims are accurate is a very relevant topic of commentary for almost every one of these new smartphones... it has been for years. Rarely does a "power user" achieve the results claimed by the manufacturer. "5 hours of radio use" is a pretty bold claim to make for this type of phone.

Second, understand that every carrier has strict performance requirements and every phone must be tested and approved by the carrier before it can be sold to the general public using their network. Testers for various wireless carriers have been in possession of the iPhone for a few weeks, if not months, now... some rumors can easily be based on fact.

In any case, it won't be long until a reputable third party company puts those claims to test. Do you need a legal disclaimer to be skeptical?

travel4B
05-22-2007, 03:40 PM
My comment is a common rumor based on unconfirmed fact. First off, debating whether a manufacturer's battery claims are accurate is a very relevant topic of commentary for almost every one of these new smartphones... it has been for years. Rarely does a "power user" achieve the results claimed by the manufacturer. "5 hours of radio use" is a pretty bold claim to make for this type of phone.

Second, understand that every carrier has strict performance requirements and every phone must be tested and approved by the carrier before it can be sold to the general public using their network. Testers for various wireless carriers have been in possession of the iPhone for a few weeks, if not months, now... some rumors can easily be based on fact.

In any case, it won't be long until a reputable third party company puts those claims to test. Do you need a legal disclaimer to be skeptical?

Apple is notorious about keeping any new product launch extremely close to the vest and AT&T has an exclusive five year agreement for the iPhone. To think that the other wireless carriers have had access to the iPhone for weeks or months is laughable. Besides, if they did it would be all over the internet considering the intense scrutiny that the iPhone has had since day one. I agree that independent third parties will evaluate battery life soon enough. I don't have a problem with being skeptical, just with baseless rumors.

tifosa2001
05-22-2007, 08:30 PM
I know I will be replacing my companies blackberry's with iPhone soon after the June launch.

obmd1
05-23-2007, 06:30 AM
All I know is that AAPL is on a ridiculous run over the last three weeks. If sales outdo expectations, I'm gonna KILL myself for not buying in last year....

Bart001
05-24-2007, 03:35 AM
I know I will be replacing my companies blackberry's with iPhone soon after the June launch.

And do what for push email? Yahoo? Or were your employees carrying the Blackberrys just to look cool and now they'll look cooler with iPhones? :rofl:

tifosa2001
05-24-2007, 06:41 PM
better web interface. more estimates. faster orders. more money. thats what makes me laugh all night long.

Bart001
05-25-2007, 03:29 AM
better web interface. more estimates. faster orders. more money. thats what makes me laugh all night long.

The Blackberry was a poor choice if mobile web is the primary use.

Report back on how the iPhones work out!

sfbayrealtor1
06-27-2007, 04:17 PM
For what it's worth, I gleaned this posting on another bimmer forum:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1099019

2 days 2 go before iphone day...would be great to grab an iphone at the store, activate it, then pop it in the car and just have it plain WORK! no fiddling or spiddling...;)

Are there any iPhone beta-testers out there who just happened to have a newer bimmer with bluetooth?? any confirmations or denials?

thanks in advance....

iversonm
06-27-2007, 06:43 PM
As a general rule, a cell phone has to run the Windows OS to be compatible with BMW's implementation of bluetooth.

Nothing works seamlessly with Microsoft, IMO.

newbimmer
06-27-2007, 09:41 PM
The big concern with iPhone is the need for both a voice and a data plan from AT&T.
In order to get the benefit of all the features it can run $100 a month for voice and data (double the average calling plan)

I am usually an early adopter but $500 for a phone (ok iPod too, but I already have one) plus $1,200 in cell service on a network that in my area sucks is not worth it right now.

Don't get me wrong it is sweet but it will no doubt have problems. I am not slamming anyone here who is looking forward to the iPhone but IMHO I will would wait a while.

z0lt3c
06-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Keep in mind that "ATT Data Service" runs at 2G speeds.... your gonna be lucky to get 56K downstream. Go ahead and try to use YouTube with that kind of throughput.

HW
06-27-2007, 10:00 PM
The big concern with iPhone is the need for both a voice and a data plan from AT&T.
In order to get the benefit of all the features it can run $100 a month for voice and data (double the average calling plan)

I am usually an early adopter but $500 for a phone (ok iPod too, but I already have one) plus $1,200 in cell service on a network that in my area sucks is not worth it right now.

Don't get me wrong it is sweet but it will no doubt have problems. I am not slamming anyone here who is looking forward to the iPhone but IMHO I will would wait a while.

there's nothing new to adopt here. it's old technology meets big brand name equity and marketing. as for $500 for a phone, anyone been around when the startac and v60 even would remember that these phones when they were first released where more expensive than the iphone. :rolleyes:

ilhooq
06-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Ok, I gotta step in here. This thread is dripping with FUD. Where are you guys getting your information from? There's plenty of legitimate information out there.

To review:

Bluetooth pairing and Windows Mobile? I mean, really? Lots of reports to the contrary at this thread here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78474&page=24

Bluetooth is designed as a platform-agnostic communication standard which is one of the reasons it works well and has been adopted as much as it has been. Specific devices support different profiles to different levels and that is dependent on the developer of the device.

Rate plans: all iPhone rate plans include unlimited data. The lowest-priced plan is $59.99 per month. Not $100. That undercuts existing non-iPhone AT&T cellular data plans by anywhere from $20 to $50 a month. That information is here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/pr/20070626plans.html

That is not double the average calling plan, unless you're one of those cell subscribers fighting getting your old analog phone turned off every time you call in with a question. Average cell phone bills around these parts (i.e. people who own new/recent BMWs) I'd be willing to bet are much more like $100-$150 range. That is, people who don't have their employers pay their bills for them. So I don't think insinuating that iPhone users' bills double is a very wise choice.

iPod connection: the iPod in an iPhone is an iPod. It will do all the iPod things that iPods do. The connection on the device side, i.e. not the car side, is the same. Latest report on that is here, starting with "iPhone features the same 30-pin connector as the iPod" here: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/27/iphone_dual_dock_apple_store_downtime_new_apple_vi deo.html

The battery life comments are simply uninformed. Apple specifically addressed that with a press release that specifically extended the estimate from five hours radio time to _eight_ hours of radio time, which seems like a pretty bold move unless you're extremely confident in the claim you're making.

Sorry if anyone feels flamed, but this forum is where I come to get _good_ information about BMWs and the E60 in particular. This thread isn't the best example of that, and I spend a lot of time in the rest of my life talking people down from bad technology self-misinformation of the type I'm seeing here.

Zed2Zee
06-28-2007, 04:33 AM
Just so yall know as long as you have a gsm provider (sim card) you can use an unlocked iphone from one of the many places that sell unlocked phones-internet search. Myworldphone.com cellhut.com and 100 others will have them when it is released.

yahtzee
06-28-2007, 05:28 AM

Actually, you wont. It be released to corporate customers for a good while and they will not be discounted. Retail only launch tomorrow.

yahtzee
06-28-2007, 05:31 AM

Faster orders? Only if your orders are 1kb each. AT&T forgot the 3G part of the equation with the iPhone.....I know, I know Jobs said it wasnt ready when they were designing the iPhone.....wasnt ready? It wasnt ready at AT&T would be a better way to phrase it.

Lastly, as I said, you cant buy the iPhone for any corporate use at this point.

M5-BEAR
06-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Dear Mr. Arnaut:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2008 BMW 550i.
Congratulations on your purchase; the 2008 5 Series is very exciting.

You asked specifically about the possibility of pairing an Apple iPhone with
your new vehicle. Unfortunately, that phone is not currently on our list of
fully-compatible phones. Non-approved phones may or may not pair or connect to
the vehicle and will only have partial functionality at best. Because of this,
phones that do not support BMW's additional phonebook commands will not work as
intended, may present significant issues, and are, therefore, listed as
non-compatible phones.

To better explain, please understand that three sets of software must work
together; the triple combination of cellular manufacturer software, cellular
provider software, and BMW Bluetooth software all determine compatibility. For
example, the Motorola RAZR V3 offered through Cingular, T-Mobile, or Verizon,
has the right combination of hardware and software. It is perfectly pairable.
Another provider may also offer the same RAZR
V3, but with different software. This different software may cause
complications when paired with a BMW vehicle and, therefore, might not pass our
quality testing for full compatibility.

We strive to respond to our customers positively, and we apologize that we were
unable to do so in this case. We understand our customers expect the latest
technologies to be available to them and we thank you for your patience as we
try to keep pace with the ever-changing wireless market. Please stay in touch
with us through our all-new Bluetooth website,
http://www.wireless4bmw.com/phones2.html for updates to the compatible phone
list in the future; new phones are added to this list on a regular basis.

If you have any further comments or questions, please respond to this e-mail or
contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday
through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.
Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Melinda Sabo
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

cvb
06-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Sorry, but wrong (I wish you were right).

The iPhone does not have a removeable SIM card. You are permantely locked in with AT&T on these phones.

Source: Wall Street Journal 6/27/07
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB118289311361649057-7Mxs3dSSnemYRztiTMAGR_fjnls_20080626.html?mod=rss_ personal_technology

"But the iPhone has a major drawback: the cellphone network it uses. It only works with AT&T (formerly Cingular), won't come in models that use Verizon or Sprint and can't use the digital cards (called SIM cards) that would allow it to run on T-Mobile's network. So, the phone can be a poor choice unless you are in areas where AT&T's coverage is good. It does work overseas, but only via an AT&T roaming plan"

Just so yall know as long as you have a gsm provider (sim card) you can use an unlocked iphone from one of the many places that sell unlocked phones-internet search. Myworldphone.com cellhut.com and 100 others will have them when it is released.

JSpira
06-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Sorry, but wrong (I wish you were right).

The iPhone does not have a removeable SIM card. You are permantely locked in with AT&T on these phones.

Source: Wall Street Journal 6/27/07
http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB118289311361649057-7Mxs3dSSnemYRztiTMAGR_fjnls_20080626.html?mod=rss_ personal_technology

"But the iPhone has a major drawback: the cellphone network it uses. It only works with AT&T (formerly Cingular), won't come in models that use Verizon or Sprint and can't use the digital cards (called SIM cards) that would allow it to run on T-Mobile's network. So, the phone can be a poor choice unless you are in areas where AT&T's coverage is good. It does work overseas, but only via an AT&T roaming plan"

Actually, what I believe that sentence says (in its twisted prose) is that you cannot use a T-Mobile (or more precisely, a non-ATT) SIM. All GSM mobile phones have to have a SIM.

cvb
06-28-2007, 04:37 PM
TMobile is GSM like AT&T...it's Verizon & Sprint that are not. I agree the article is mysteriously worded, and I agree all GSM phones have a SIM...but perhaps this one is not removeable. I hope I'm wrong, although Apple's deal with AT&T is rumored to be a 5 year one, and Apple gets a cut of the subscriber revenue, so I see a lot of motivation to make the SIM card is unswappable.

swajames
06-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Dear Mr. Arnaut:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2008 BMW 550i.
Congratulations on your purchase; the 2008 5 Series is very exciting.

You asked specifically about the possibility of pairing an Apple iPhone with
your new vehicle. Unfortunately, that phone is not currently on our list of
fully-compatible phones. Non-approved phones may or may not pair or connect to
the vehicle and will only have partial functionality at best. Because of this,
phones that do not support BMW's additional phonebook commands will not work as
intended, may present significant issues, and are, therefore, listed as
non-compatible phones.

To better explain, please understand that three sets of software must work
together; the triple combination of cellular manufacturer software, cellular
provider software, and BMW Bluetooth software all determine compatibility. For
example, the Motorola RAZR V3 offered through Cingular, T-Mobile, or Verizon,
has the right combination of hardware and software. It is perfectly pairable.
Another provider may also offer the same RAZR
V3, but with different software. This different software may cause
complications when paired with a BMW vehicle and, therefore, might not pass our
quality testing for full compatibility.

We strive to respond to our customers positively, and we apologize that we were
unable to do so in this case. We understand our customers expect the latest
technologies to be available to them and we thank you for your patience as we
try to keep pace with the ever-changing wireless market. Please stay in touch
with us through our all-new Bluetooth website,
http://www.wireless4bmw.com/phones2.html for updates to the compatible phone
list in the future; new phones are added to this list on a regular basis.

contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday
through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.
Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Melinda Sabo
Representative

BMW have confirmed that the iPhone is indeed compatible with the E60. JSpira posted the info over on E60.net.

http://www.wireless4bmw.com/info/CingularATT_iphone.pdf

stream
06-28-2007, 05:49 PM
TMobile is GSM like AT&T...it's Verizon & Sprint that are not. I agree the article is mysteriously worded, and I agree all GSM phones have a SIM...but perhaps this one is not removeable. I hope I'm wrong, although Apple's deal with AT&T is rumored to be a 5 year one, and Apple gets a cut of the subscriber revenue, so I see a lot of motivation to make the SIM card is unswappable.

Like an iPod, the iPhone is a sealed device, so the battery and SIM are not user removable. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a physically separate SIM at all, or code to prevent non-AT&T SIMs from working, to thwart those adventurous enough to attempt taking it apart (like some do to replace iPod batteries).

M5-BEAR
06-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Dear Mr. Arnaut:

The following message was sent to you yesterday at 4:40 p.m. I believe it should
answer all of your questions.
-------------------------------------------------
Dear Mr. Arnaut:

As unbeliebable as it may be, we just received word from our engineneers that
the Apple iPhone through AT&T will be compatible with our vehicles. I am happy
to say that the phone will be fully compatible with you 2008 BMW 550i. Please
stay tuned to our website http://www.wireless4bmw.com/phones2.html for updated
information on the iPhone.

contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through
Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time; my direct extension
is 7403. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Melinda Sabo
Representative

GN2
12-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Like an iPod, the iPhone is a sealed device, so the battery and SIM are not user removable. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a physically separate SIM at all, or code to prevent non-AT&T SIMs from working, to thwart those adventurous enough to attempt taking it apart (like some do to replace iPod batteries).

After many months it is interesting to review posts. I was looking for something else and read this tread.

Now we know that the iPhone does have a removable SIM. You can use it with T-Mo though at this point all of the features are not available on T-Mo. Jailbreak/hack required.

I am one of those people who have changed an iPod battery. It is not hard. There is a lot of information on the web including a video.

P.S. I'm not picking on Stream. I find his posts helpful and insightful. I have even referred people to some of his posts. Merry Christmas to all.

travel4B
12-28-2007, 03:44 AM
Yes, GN2, you're right. It's very interesting to go back and re-read this thread six months after the iPhone launch. I'm quoting ihooq because he was dead right on all his points in a thread filled with misinformation.

Ok, I gotta step in here. This thread is dripping with FUD. Where are you guys getting your information from? There's plenty of legitimate information out there.

To review:

Bluetooth pairing and Windows Mobile? I mean, really? Lots of reports to the contrary at this thread here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78474&page=24

Bluetooth is designed as a platform-agnostic communication standard which is one of the reasons it works well and has been adopted as much as it has been. Specific devices support different profiles to different levels and that is dependent on the developer of the device.

Rate plans: all iPhone rate plans include unlimited data. The lowest-priced plan is $59.99 per month. Not $100. That undercuts existing non-iPhone AT&T cellular data plans by anywhere from $20 to $50 a month. That information is here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/pr/20070626plans.html

That is not double the average calling plan, unless you're one of those cell subscribers fighting getting your old analog phone turned off every time you call in with a question. Average cell phone bills around these parts (i.e. people who own new/recent BMWs) I'd be willing to bet are much more like $100-$150 range. That is, people who don't have their employers pay their bills for them. So I don't think insinuating that iPhone users' bills double is a very wise choice.

iPod connection: the iPod in an iPhone is an iPod. It will do all the iPod things that iPods do. The connection on the device side, i.e. not the car side, is the same. Latest report on that is here, starting with "iPhone features the same 30-pin connector as the iPod" here: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/06/27/iphone_dual_dock_apple_store_downtime_new_apple_vi deo.html

The battery life comments are simply uninformed. Apple specifically addressed that with a press release that specifically extended the estimate from five hours radio time to _eight_ hours of radio time, which seems like a pretty bold move unless you're extremely confident in the claim you're making.

Sorry if anyone feels flamed, but this forum is where I come to get _good_ information about BMWs and the E60 in particular. This thread isn't the best example of that, and I spend a lot of time in the rest of my life talking people down from bad technology self-misinformation of the type I'm seeing here.