PDA

View Full Version : 528 vs. Gs350 vs. M35

Artful_Track
05-17-2007, 01:08 PM
Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I'm getting ready to trade my 04 525 in and was torn between these three cars. I've configured all of them with the options I wanted and all of their prices seem to be the same with a $100 or so difference. I don't know if I should get the BMW because the service is free or should I get the Gs or M35 because their faster and more reliable?? So can you guys please give me some insight on what you think?

BmW745On19's
05-17-2007, 01:13 PM
535i.

newbimmer
05-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Ditto

dk
05-17-2007, 01:56 PM
It always amazes me when someone asks for advice regarding the base model 5 and everyone responds telling them to get the 530/535 (usually with no supporting info)........ People who look at the base 5 are usually attracted to the size, price and of course the fact that it is a BMW........ We all know the 530/535 is faster....... hell.... why not tell them to get a M5..... its even better than that wanna be 535 sport, right... So WHY can't people offer useful information regarding what they are comparing it to???

Yes, I own a 525. It serves its purpose well and I was attracted to it for my reasons stated above. Had money been no object of course I would have look higher up the BMW line...

rant over.....

As to the OP question....... The Japanese make great reliable cars and some even perform fairly well and probably better than the 528 but at the end of the day it doesn't drive like a BMW. You have to decide what appeals to you more. Fewer minor glitches, better electronics, price, styling...... They are all great cars...... It is very much a personal preference.

Good luck deciding.....

Kamdog
05-17-2007, 02:18 PM
I say the 528. The M's gearing is very short and is uncomfortably buzzy at highway speed. It is also a pig on gas. Almost no one gets near the EPA ratings. The Lexus is much more refined than the Infinity, but is somehow keeps the driver isolated from the drive. Great if that is what you want, not so great if it isnt. The 528 will be slower off the line, but will drive nicer, especially when the road gets interesting. In my opinion, the 2 Japanese cars have interiors that look better in photographs, but become much too busy on the road. BMWs nav system is not quite up to the other ones, but they are all pretty good anyway.

At this level of car, you really wont go wrong with any choice.

When you drive them, which one does it for you?

Maddog-99
05-17-2007, 02:31 PM
I agree whole heartedly with DK.

I recently upgraded my 5 series to another 5 series.
This is after having a 5 for 6 years & replacing "all" the electical, reading consumer reports bash BMW (which I swear by), testing Acura, Lexus, Infiniti & Cadillac like models, & PROMISING never to buy another BMW (due to poor quality).

That said, after every test drive I got back into my Bimmer & was always happier w/ the driving experience (power, handling, feel, sound, cabin layout, doors, space, etc) than any of them. So I went BMW & I love it.

You have to see whats right for you & you MUST test drive.
If you like driving a performance car, its hard to not go BMW.

gweiden
05-17-2007, 03:44 PM
It's a simple question - One I had to ponder myself too. Did I want an appliance or a car? If the answer is an appliance, go Japanese. If the answer is a car, go BMW....

Maddog-99
05-17-2007, 08:29 PM
well said gweiden,
and though I am past the point of adding value to this discussion, I will briefly rant that the Japanese do seem to think that the more buttons they put on the car, the more you will want it.

The Infiniti interiors look like a friggin space shuttle.

Now I know that iDrive sucks in ways, but what it does great, is get rid of sll that crap & gives me a relaxed interior, not mission control. For that reason alone, I like it.

macct
05-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I'm getting ready to trade my 04 525 in and was torn between these three cars. I've configured all of them with the options I wanted and all of their prices seem to be the same with a $100 or so difference. I don't know if I should get the BMW because the service is free or should I get the Gs or M35 because their faster and more reliable?? So can you guys please give me some insight on what you think?

I recently drove both of these cars, trying to decide if either one would be a good choice to replace my 2005 530i (lease coming up). While I liked aspects of both cars, I actually prefered my existing car.

528xi - As expected, it felt nearly identical to my 530i with the exception of accelleration. It just seemed a tad slower starting off and passing than my existing car. While I am not a speed demon, I really didn't want to give any performance. To its benefit, however, the car seemed more refined than my 2005 with a quieter cabin and richer looking interior. Overall, it was nice, but I wanted more performance. (I ultimately decided it was worth the premium for the 535xi).

M35x - It made a really good first impression, and was sportier than I had expected. I would say the suspension is a bit firmer than a non-sport 5, albeit it was lacking the BMW's composure over rougher roads and broken pavement. Accelleration and passing power was definitely a step up from the 528xi. The only downside was the high rpms on the highway (3,000 & up) and cabin noise (exhaust tuning). The exhaust tuning sounds cool at the beginning, but wears on you after extended highway driving. Gas mileage is also likely to be poor. I averaged ~15mpg over 80 miles. While I am sure I drove more aggressively than normal, low mpg seems pretty common from what I have read. In terms of the interior, the cabin was very nicely finished and electronics were well ahead & better priced than the BMW. The Navigation and voice system just work so well, being intuitive and easy to use. My enchantment with the Infiniti, however, soured after taking it for an extended drive. I just didn't care for trade-offs in refinement and cabin noise.

In the end, I found the 528xi to be the more enjoyeable car to drive. It is just more refined and the driving dynamics just suit me better. The only downside is giving up some engine performance. The M35x was a very fun car to drive, but it wouldn't be the car I would want to drive all the time. It just had too many trade-offs for me. It is, however, a great value (makes sense to lease = low MF & other leasing support). It will be interesting to see how Infiniti improves this car when it gets updated.

I would suggest taking the Infiniti & Lexus for an extended test drive. You get a much better feel for the car without the salesman talking to you as well as driving on roads you are familar with. Good luck deciding.

SteVTEC
05-18-2007, 07:36 AM
I love the GS350 but the interior is way too cramped for me, and ingress/egress in the rear is laughable. I have to squat on the ground and then "fall" in just to get back there, and then getting out is equally a chore (I'm 6'3"). We need to get car seats in and out of there too. No way.

I find the M35 to be pretty hideous looking although the interior is spacious. It also drinks fuel like a lot of V8s. I've been saying for years that Infiniti ought to offer some "30" models with better mileage, or just more efficient 3.5L's with taller gearing. Yes the short gearing is snappy, but a downshift is no big deal, especially with gas going well above $3/gal nowadays.

The BMW 5 is just perfect. The interior is brilliant and very spacious and there's plenty of room all around. It looks great, the efficiency is excellent, and though I haven't test driven specifically a 528i yet I'm sure the performance will be snappy enough for me (a 530i would have been perfect). I'm passing on the 535i because I'm not a speed demon and could care less about this 300+hp trend, and plus I find pushing less powerful engines a bit harder pretty enjoyable. ED pricing is the deal sealer.

Another car to consider if power is a priority is the Acura TL-S, although it's FWD, but also pretty efficient. I think the 528i is a much nicer car as long as you're not horespower hungry, and not that much more expensive either.

stevepow
05-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Gotta agree with dk, get the M5 :D

No, seriously, he's right - a BMW is going to be enjoyable no matter which model. If fast and most reliable are the criteria, maybe that won't point to BMW. But I have had quite a few, and all but one, the first back in '85, have been very reliable - and some quite fast (but you pay a lot for that). And even then, there's always something faster - how fast do you actually need to go?

You have had a BMW - so ask yourself, are you going to wake in the morning with something else in the garage and think, God, what have I done :eek: :mad:

EJSDad
05-18-2007, 02:51 PM
I strongly considered the M35. I just hate it's dash board. It's all in your face. The GS350 was an other contender. I did like it. I was not impressed by the trunk space. Overall it was a nice car. Now the 5 Series... Every time I see an E60 I gotta turn my head and stare. I love the interior. I hate the drink holders but I guess there has to be something that I don't agree with. Overall I went BMW. I was set to get an 07 at a deal but when I went back to the dealer it was gone. I ended up better off with what I have coming. This will be my first BMW so we'll see how my long term satisfaction will be.

SteVTEC
05-18-2007, 03:14 PM
^ Yeah the cup holders are about the only thing I don't like too, but I'll learn to deal. :D