PDA

View Full Version : Night Vision experience on 5 series anyone?

nekountze
05-18-2007, 02:58 AM
Hello all. I'm just wondering what the experience has been with the Night Vision option, and also people's opinions of it's value. Where I drive deer can be a particular hazard at dusk and early mornings, and I am hoping this option is worth the money. Thanks in advance for any input.:)

ANZAC_1915
05-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Hello all. I'm just wondering what the experience has been with the Night Vision option, and also people's opinions of it's value. Where I drive deer can be a particular hazard at dusk and early mornings, and I am hoping this option is worth the money. Thanks in advance for any input.:)

We ordered it but haven't got our car yet. We live in more rural area and there can be quite a lot of deer (and the odd hobo). I figured "in for a penny, in for a pound".

Wonder why it displays on nav/idrive screen and not heads up?

Wil325
05-18-2007, 07:46 AM
I'll let you know after June 27th! I think it's a great feature, but it has the highest markup of all the options (Invoice $1695 vs list $2200). However, that also means that if you negotiate a lease price over invoice, it becomes a very cheap option to add.

I have yet to see the BMW NV in person, but here's how MB promotes their's (link below). From what I understand, it is equivalent to having your high-beams on even though they are off (good for urban driving), and it also picks up on heat signatures (like car exhaust, animals, etc), which means it can be somewhat useful in the fog, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6DMidknVCo

stevepow
05-18-2007, 07:54 AM
A lot of deer down here as well - I saw one dead on the side of the road in the suburbs the other day. On more remote roads, it is very dangerous.

So I got NV last year with my car. I have not yet seen anything in the NV but heat from other cars, bodies of people standing in front of the car through their clothing, and odd heat retaining objects along the road like parts of bridges and some plants/trees. So if that sounds interesting to you, I think that is 90***37; of what you'll see with it.

One guy reported spotting a highway patrol car's heat in a blind on the side of the road soon enough to slow down and avoid a ticket. Could be true or cool urban legend...

A few days ago, through the windsheild with headlights, I spotted a person walking along the road and never really did see them clearly in NV. Had they been in the road with me only looking at the NV screen, I'd have hit them. Maybe a deer would have more heat? I hope so.

So 300 miles or so through South GA last week and no deer - might just not be the right time of year or maybe not the right time at night (dusk to dark).

At this point, considering that it is inconvenient to look at, and possibly won't show much more than the awesome headlights, I don't know that I'd order it again. That and Sirius radio are the only two options I ordered that have been disappointing so far.

GBPackerfan1963
05-18-2007, 10:01 AM
I stated this in another post. We have NV, but no real deer problem. We have fog. The NV works awesome in the fog. You can see the heat signatures of the vehicles in front of you and that can make a difference of rear-ending someone or having to make a defensive manuever. :thumbup:

samplemaven
05-18-2007, 07:53 PM
I have NV and find it virtually impossible to use without having a "co-pilot" monitoring the screen. It would be great if it could be displayed on the windshield.

Spyder
05-18-2007, 07:57 PM
I have NV on my '07 650, and live in the Santa Monica mountains where both fog and deer present problems. IMO, the fatal flaw in NV is that when you must concentrate the most, (winding, unlit mountain road in the fog) you are generally looking out the windshield, not at the iDrive screen. Hence, NV is of marginal use under these circumstances. Much better if it were displayed on the HUD.

Needless to say, I did not order it on wifey's ED 535...

Spyder

shosan521
05-18-2007, 10:38 PM
I have NV. If you are driving in the fog, or at dusk at 25-35mph, and can afford to look back and fourth between windsheild and iDrive Screen, great. But not much use at higher speeds as you will be trying to split your attention too much. But it is a pretty cool "bell and whislte." My friends love it!

MAC63500
05-19-2007, 12:32 AM
I have NV and will agree with most of the other posts here. It does work quite well, but it is not always convenient to look at. You basically have to get into the habit of glancing at it every so often just like you would look at your rearview mirror. People and animals will definitely show up as really bright spots that will catch your attention, but at high speeds, by the time you look back at the NV to figure out what you are seeing, you will be able to see it with your headlights. I ordered this without actually seeing it in action. Having it to do over again, I probably would have used the money to buy the Nasca leather and vented seats.

j0n
05-19-2007, 07:12 PM
I have night vision on my 07 530xi. honestly speaking, I probably used it 5 times in all, 4 times just to show my friend how "cool" it is~ LOL

to me, it's a big waste of money, I really should've gotten the HUD instead.

I think the location of the camera is too low thus the image is too low to the ground. The angle is not wide enough either. Plus the image displayed is off-center, you can only glance at it from time to time, which I think is more dangerus on the road.

save you money!

Wil325
05-19-2007, 07:39 PM
You guys are giving me a buzz-kill (I ordered it)! Nevertheless, I'm not surprised by any of the information being shared here. I think MB did a better job by putting their NV right into the main driving display.