PDA

View Full Version : Never would by a 5 series again!!!

bmwfanwashdc
05-18-2007, 07:41 AM
I have been without my 545i now for a month so far after a minor fender bender accident 10mph or less when i hit and 95 olds aurora. The olds suffered minor bumper scratches with bumper replacement and painting. With this great grav 60 technology i now have got the official word that my estimate is now 14,500k to repair. the estimate they will have my car for 3 more weeks. I have had minor bumps in my three 3 series i have owned. This GRAV 60 technology is just ridiculous. I understand cars now have crash zones etc but this aluminum frame is not holding up to even a minor collision. i understand that a8 audi's now are all alum frame - they go to straight to the junk yard.

think about it before you by a e60 5 or 6series. i will stick to 3 or 7 series or something different without aluminum frame.

Orient330Ci
05-18-2007, 07:51 AM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Columns/articleId=109234/subsubtypeId=216

SteVTEC
05-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Wow! :yikes:

Anyways that Edmunds article sounded like an op-ed written by BMW, lol. I wonder what a Lexus GS or Infiniti M costs to repair? Of course they don't have perfect 50/50 weight dists either though, so they won't drive the same.

zen68
05-18-2007, 08:18 AM
FYI, the 7 series also has aluminum frame.

stevepow
05-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Is the problem finding a certified BMW repair shop or with the insurance wanting to cover it or the repair shop, even being certified, not knowing what they are doing or what?

It is just hard to tell why this is an issue - why is it taking so long - and if you have insurance, does the cost matter (I mean I can see thinking it is high, but as long as you are covered...)?

Jalli
05-18-2007, 08:26 AM
I have been without my 545i now for a month so far after a minor fender bender accident 10mph or less when i hit and 95 olds aurora. The olds suffered minor bumper scratches with bumper replacement and painting. With this great grav 60 technology i now have got the official word that my estimate is now 14,500k to repair. the estimate they will have my car for 3 more weeks. I have had minor bumps in my three 3 series i have owned. This GRAV 60 technology is just ridiculous. I understand cars now have crash zones etc but this aluminum frame is not holding up to even a minor collision. i understand that a8 audi's now are all alum frame - they go to straight to the junk yard.

think about it before you by a e60 5 or 6series. i will stick to 3 or 7 series or something different without aluminum frame.

Learn how to drive, then you can drive whatever you want... oh, and it sounds like your bodyshop is incompetent..

bmwfanwashdc
05-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Learn how to drive, then you can drive whatever you want... oh, and it sounds like your bodyshop is incompetent..

What a dumb a**** statement!!!!!! Hard to believe we have such ignorant people on here. Have you ever been in fender bender or perhaps someone might rear end you and not your fault? The body shop is one of the few shops in washington dc area that is certified to work on grav 60 bmw cars from what i have been told by two dealers.

bmwfanwashdc
05-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Is the problem finding a certified BMW repair shop or with the insurance wanting to cover it or the repair shop, even being certified, not knowing what they are doing or what?

It is just hard to tell why this is an issue - why is it taking so long - and if you have insurance, does the cost matter (I mean I can see thinking it is high, but as long as you are covered...)?

yes i definitely have insurance. the car was purchased and not leased. the insurance will pay for the repair but i think it is ridiculous the car is so subject to major damage at such a low spead compared to other cars and to even other bmw's. Part of the long wait was waiting for insurance adjusters.

Have you heard of Diminished value 2' and accident especially one involving a major repair? This is a very poor design subject to major damage.

read this link provide by one of our posters

bmwfanwashdc
05-18-2007, 09:00 AM
FYI, the 7 series also has aluminum frame.

great article in the post. i have never heard a 7 has aluminum grav 60 frame. only the 5 and 6's. not sure where you got your info from..

stevepow
05-18-2007, 09:03 AM

Certainly it seems like there is more to the story than we are getting, but anyone can have a bender - that's why they call them accidents. Obviously he didn't intend to crash his car.

I try like hell to avoid wrecks also - and I knock on wood that I am pretty successful. Still, odds are it will happen to someone - and sometimes you have no control of what the other guy does (consider the owner of the Olds' in this case). Defensive driving is a tiresome, full time occupation on the roads here.

humpty123
05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
i live in VA - what body shop did you take it to?

SteVTEC
05-18-2007, 10:18 AM
What a dumb a**** statement!!!!!! Hard to believe we have such ignorant people on here. Have you ever been in fender bender or perhaps someone might rear end you and not your fault? The body shop is one of the few shops in washington dc area that is certified to work on grav 60 bmw cars from what i have been told by two dealers.+1

:asshole:

bmwfanwashdc
05-18-2007, 01:21 PM
i live in VA - what body shop did you take it to?

first choice in arlington va. fairfax bmw has body shop but heard a lot of complaints about quality of work.

chrischeung
05-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Would you consider leasing?

SteVTEC
05-18-2007, 02:29 PM
I was planning to buy, but given I live in an area that's really rough on cars and the enormous repair costs (at least right now) for even a minor accident, I might lean back towards leasing..... sheesh. Yeah a diminished value claim would be a beyotch.

doug_999
05-18-2007, 04:20 PM
I hit a toyota truck at about 10Mph in my 1995 325. Front fender pushed back about 3 inches and the grill kind of messed up.

$13,500 cost to fix. Without car for almost a month.

BMWs absorb the impact extremely well - but that means a lot of stuff crumples. The GRAV technology is great because then can just replace the entire system - your car should drive like new again. Not like my 3-series which was never the same.

stevepow
05-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Have you heard of Diminished value 2' and accident especially one involving a major repair?

read this link provide by one of our posters

I have heard of and experienced diminished value (should also be covered by insurance, but not sure if they do that if it is your fault - maybe?). But I don't know what Diminished value 2' is. Is that a certain category of damage?

I did read the link - conclusion: "Reports on the arrival of the throw-away car have been greatly exaggerated."

Sounds like they make light of it. I know it is a frustrating thing to be without your car - a lot of us have been there and it sux, but are you maybe winding yourself up and making it even worse?

At any rate, sorry to hear about the misfortune and I hope your car comes back as doug_999 says.

quackbury
05-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Couple of thoughts.

I like the GRAV 60 technology, and while being without a car for 3-4 weeks is a pain, it happens to a lot of vehicles other than E60's. Example: I got rear-ended by a drunk doing 20 (never touched the brakes, and I was at a dead stop). My c43 AMG was in the shop 10 weeks - not because the technology was cutting edge, but because some of the AMG parts needed for the repair were out of inventory in the US. So don't be too quick to vent your frustrations on BMW.

On the other hand... diminished value is a bitch, but at least your car is repairable. To my way of thinking, the real drawback with GRAV 60 would be if the repair costs were JUST ENOUGH for the insurance company to total your car... 2 years before you (and your bank account) were planning on buying a new one.

This is one of the many strong reasons for leasing - ain't my problem, boss, thanks to GAP insurance.

The moral of the story: drive defensively ... keep on loving those Bimmers ... but think about leasing your next one.

Tanin
05-18-2007, 11:42 PM

I do sympathize with your situation and have seen many of your anti GRAV 60 post during this repair nightmare. I'm not attempting to downplay your frustration and I too would be upset.

IMO manufacturing technology is evolving and allowing us to use lighter and stronger materials that result in a better handling, safer and more efficient vehicle. My guess is these vehicles are designed to be driven and worse case protect you during an accident. Unfortunately, I doubt cost and difficulty of repair is a high priority for BMW engineers. This is one of many reasons why I chose the Roundel and your situation is one in a long list of factors that make leasing a better option for me.

Again, your situation sucks and I hope the resolution overshadows the month or two without your vehicle

DBU
05-20-2007, 09:08 AM

AFAIK, the current touring versions of the 528 xi and 535 xi have steel frames in front. Can we have an owner of these models confirm, please?

Frank Rizzo
05-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Some lunkhead was backing out of a driveway and Mrs. Rizzo smacked into her with her Benz C230k. $9000. Low speed (no airbag deployment). Stuff is expensive now a days.
IMHO, you'll eventually see that everyone else was in the buggy whip business and this technology will make it onto GM products in 2037.