PDA

View Full Version : iDrive puck stiffens when turning if there are no options left

HWF
05-18-2007, 09:09 PM
The i Drive system seems to be smart enough to know when there are no more options remaining in a particular application. For example, when scrolling through a list of points of interest, the puck stiffens if there are no options left. However, if I continue to turn the puck beyond the very real resistance, it will often bring up on the screen additional items. Is this normal to have the resistance in the puck even though there are additional items that can be scrolled?

stream
05-18-2007, 09:26 PM
The iDrive system uses haptic feedback, so you can use the sense of touch (instead of sight, since that would be dangerous while driving) to know when, for example, you get to the end of a list of items on the display. It will feedback as you go to items beyond the current screen view, and also give you feedback when you've reached the end of a list.

Rubber Ducky
05-19-2007, 04:06 AM
The iDrive system uses haptic feedback, so you can use the sense of touch (instead of sight, since that would be dangerous while driving) to know when, for example, you get to the end of a list of items on the display. It will feedback as you go to items beyond the current screen view, and also give you feedback when you've reached the end of a list.
True for 'older' system, but new iDrive (in E93 delivered in April) has done away with clunky feedback; has smaller knob, better graphics, RTTI, POI entry. Night and day difference with previous system, much improved, really nice to use.

A lot of car journalists have blasted the iDrive. No longer valid, whatever their first impression of the first system in the 7-series. As is now, a ton of functionality, good nav, and ease-of-use.

GolferEngineer
05-19-2007, 10:38 AM
Mine does the same thing and it is normal but I don't like it. I drove a 2007 X5 with the "new" idrive without the feedback and strongly prefer it over the one I have.

Sometimes mine will go back to the beginning of the menu when I hold it, especially when I'm scrolling down an iPod list - very frustrating.

chuck92103
05-19-2007, 10:41 AM
The feedback is programmable. The 25.x upgrade should change it tad.

GolferEngineer
05-19-2007, 11:56 AM
The feedback is programmable. The 25.x upgrade should change it tad.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm getting a SW upgrade in early June to fix a couple things.:thumbup: