PDA

View Full Version : New 550 1st Impressions

Deutschecar
05-19-2007, 09:19 AM
So i just picked up my car and drove around for a while. I am sure there are many of you equally as enthusiastic about autos as i am and enjoy lots of different driving experiences. My particular tastes are not really brand specific or price specific. I like anything fun to drive...anything. The 550 is the 4th car in my driveway now (Audi,P-car,LR2), i say this to offer my qualifications , in offering a modestly "knowledgable" opinion. What a FANTASTIC car. Just the experience of adjusting the seat was great, then the chunky steering wheel, then the drive. Incredibly solid road feel, nice flat cornering etc. The auto-box is going to need to be driven in Sport, the hunting in regular "D" mode is not great for around town driving. Steering is perfect for the car. Its not darty and has decent on-center. For all the i-Drive bashing, i find it very easy to use (never used it b4 today), and didnt find myself lost or annoyed once. It happens to be raining and i have to say, a nicely new Carbon Black car with rain drops is sexy.The Bamboo trim is really nice, very understated but noticable. The Logic7 system w/ some iPod action is a treat. I am going to go for another drive now (errands;) ). If any of you think i am going to post pics instead of driving.... I missed not having a BMW for a while (2yrs or so E46 M3), they have a very specific flavor and feel that i really enjoy. Thanks for all the info...pics to follow.

Tanin
05-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Glad you finally took delivery. Congrats!!

I've been looking for errands to run for the last 3 months. :thumbup:

SoCalM5Mang
05-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Congrats brother!

Any commentary on the Manual Shift mode with the steptronic? I absolutely love it. Much better than anything I've previously felt.

I too will post pictures soon.

SoCal

Deutschecar
05-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Congrats brother!

Any commentary on the Manual Shift mode with the steptronic? I absolutely love it. Much better than anything I've previously felt.

I too will post pictures soon.

SoCal

I like the Manual shift, but i also really like the Sport. For an auto, the shifts are really seamless, and it holds gears nicely. I really havent done too much spirited driving yet. Its raining, i have new slippery tires, break-in, and last but not least...i just got it, so i am still in "really careful" mode. I have yet to try the lane-departure, but i was happy to see a disable switch (i pay attention). Coolest feature encountered yet IMO, when you turn the car on, the seats grab you and hold you, and when you turn it off, they let you go (subject to proper adjustment). Having a bit of trouble getting my iPod to link to the car (i have the iPod adapter). BMW makes great cars.

stream
05-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Congrats. Nice addition to the stable!

My08535i
05-20-2007, 11:23 PM
When you get the ipod adapter with your car, the dealer has to give you this special cord to use it, it come with it, make sure you have it.

Deutschecar
05-21-2007, 03:16 AM
When you get the ipod adapter with your car, the dealer has to give you this special cord to use it, it come with it, make sure you have it.

I consulted the "ultimate ipod thread", like any NOOB should. Thanks though, i felt pretty stupid after i had tucked the HUGE cords into the tiny ipod section and couldnt get it to work, only to find out later that i needed the special cord. It actually plays music with just the AUX cord which makes it even more confusing.:) As an aside, this is the first car we have had that will download the entire phone book off my wifes B-Berry. Nice...sort of.