View Full Version : Does Active Steering Option Cancel out Sport Package?

05-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I have my eye on one of those new 535's. I definitely have to have the sport package with the awesome steering, suspension, etc. and I am considering all of the available options. I have reviewed the protracted thread on this site regarding Active Steering but I still don't really understand! (Heck, I'm a girl, OK?) It sounds like it would be helpful for those of us who are well, parallel-parking challenged. I would hate for the Active Steering option to cancel out the cool suspension and steering that the sport package provides.

Enlighten me please! Thanks for the assistance.

05-20-2007, 11:14 PM
You can have Active Steering with the ZSP. I have it on my 550. :thumbup:

05-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Active Steering doesn't necessarily improve or diminish one's parallel parking skill. It is a stand alone option. Can be added in addition to sports package. Like auto transmission, it is a lazy option for convenience. Could be nice in city and local daily driving.

05-21-2007, 05:27 AM
As others have said, it is a stand alone option.

I'd strongly suggest test driving cars with both active steering and regular steering. It's a personal decision.

Opinions range from wanting to be able to steer with their pinkey finger, to thinking that power steering is pointless extra weight and dulls the driving experience.

05-21-2007, 06:08 AM
On a small car AS may not be of much value to some.

I test drove an X5 with the sport package. What can i say. It was like driving a Tahoe. The steering is so loose. :dunno:

After driving my 6 with AS for the last two years, driving a BMW without it is quite obvious and I feel less in control.

AS definately takes the handling to a new level.