PDA

View Full Version : Does Active Steering Option Cancel out Sport Package?

luvzdogz
05-20-2007, 07:38 PM
I have my eye on one of those new 535's. I definitely have to have the sport package with the awesome steering, suspension, etc. and I am considering all of the available options. I have reviewed the protracted thread on this site regarding Active Steering but I still don't really understand! (Heck, I'm a girl, OK?) It sounds like it would be helpful for those of us who are well, parallel-parking challenged. I would hate for the Active Steering option to cancel out the cool suspension and steering that the sport package provides.

Enlighten me please! Thanks for the assistance.

GBPackerfan1963
05-20-2007, 10:14 PM
You can have Active Steering with the ZSP. I have it on my 550. :thumbup:

M550
05-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Active Steering doesn't necessarily improve or diminish one's parallel parking skill. It is a stand alone option. Can be added in addition to sports package. Like auto transmission, it is a lazy option for convenience. Could be nice in city and local daily driving.

iversonm
05-21-2007, 04:27 AM
As others have said, it is a stand alone option.

I'd strongly suggest test driving cars with both active steering and regular steering. It's a personal decision.

Opinions range from wanting to be able to steer with their pinkey finger, to thinking that power steering is pointless extra weight and dulls the driving experience.

chuck92103
05-21-2007, 05:08 AM
On a small car AS may not be of much value to some.

I test drove an X5 with the sport package. What can i say. It was like driving a Tahoe. The steering is so loose. :dunno:

After driving my 6 with AS for the last two years, driving a BMW without it is quite obvious and I feel less in control.

AS definately takes the handling to a new level.